Pretending SWTOR is singleplayer = Fun

Darth_Carl

Is anyone else trying to play this like a singleplayer RPG? It's actually kind of fun.

The 50 content is pretty much non-existent and the group quests and flashpoints (everything past Black Talon and Esseles) are just generic kill quests with barely any actual story or dialog so there's no real reason to bother with either. The class quests and sidequests are really the only part of the game worth playing, but you can still get at least a few months of fun out of leveling alts.

I go to to the smallest PvE server I can find, disable chat, completely ignore any group quest, PvP, or flashpoint and basically pretend that I'm playing KOTOR 3. It's the most fun that I've ever had with an MMO and I haven't talked to a single soul this entire time.

When you think about it, the game really can be boiled down to a very long KOTOR 3. You go to different planets, help people with their problems while doing a primary quest and on and on.

That said, you only get one companion to run around with. On KOTOR you had 2 (3??). ME you had 2. DA you had 3. :(

Nice, you're paying that much for half a game.

Is it really half a game though?

We would normally pay 60 dollars for a singleplayer RPG that is maybe as long as one of the class quest lines. There's eight unique class stories, several unique companions for each class, and the only repeating parts being the sidequests. This is easily worth 60 dollars and the month or two worth of subscriptions that it would take to level up each class to 50.

Almost every complaint I've seen on the forum is related to the mediocre MMO aspects. Either people complaining about the shallow group content or the PvP, the easiest way to avoid both of these things and still enjoy the game is to just imagine that it's not even an MMO.

This is basically how I started playing the game.

I saw it as 8 stories in the same universe, based on Old Republic lore, and started off with the intention of soloing throughout the game.

...and then I ran into a merry group of adventurers and the whole thing just became better.

There's 1600 hours worth of playtime if you count all the classes, and yeah, I do think that's worth 60$ + 15$ every month. The game beats many single-player RPG's out there (as can be expected from BioWare) and effectively it's a game I can appreciate much more than DA2.

Singleplayer or multiplayer? I stopped caring, I think.

While I still enjoy chatting in general as I quest, I will agree the storylines are amazing. I just got my Legacy on my Jedi Knight and that last chapter 1 quest was just... really good.

Some may hate on ToR, but to me, it really is KOTOR3. KOTOR3 with people I can talk to while I stab people in the chest.

I go to to the smallest PvE server I can find, disable chat, completely ignore any group quest, PvP, or flashpoint and basically pretend that I'm playing KOTOR 3. It's the most fun that I've ever had with an MMO and I haven't talked to a single soul this entire time.

So we will never end up in voice chat then and fall in love :)

I am mostly playing SWTOR as a single player game right now. Currently planning on level all 8 classes to see all the stories. I know there is a lot of crossover, but it should be fun. I've beaten Mass Effect 2 for example, more times than the 8 classes combined with the population of China and never got bored.

I have one character that's primarily solo, though I enjoy the fact that there are others around and I will frequently take part in General chat (when it's not displaying evidence of human devolution). It's fun, and I can get really deep into HER story and doing things the exact way SHE would do them... just like the KotOR 3 through 8 the devs have called this MMO.

I have another character that plays 100% of the time with my husband's character. This is also a whole lot of fun, seeing how things play out with our sometimes differing choices.

It wouldn't be nearly as much fun for me if it was only one or the other, I think.