Did I hear this right?

Uluain

realy? this is what players want? So no bringing in things that where said to be done 9 months ago...but you want to act out your gay persona on a npc?

I'd phrase it more eloquently, but yes, this is what I want. Also, nice name.

Edited by Lent_San

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

realy? this is what players want? So no bringing in things that where said to be done 9 months ago...but you want to act out your gay persona on a npc?

For some people it isn't a persona ;)

I kinda assume you're not big on the storylines/romance int eh game as it stand but if you can imagine being so and the only people you were allowed to romance were the gender you don't personally have interest in? Would kinda detract from something that you otherwise would enjoy.

As for things that were done months ago if you feel strongly about it make a thread rant and rave etc... Even say you want to see that feature before SGR as it's of more value to you. that's perfectly fair. I wan't SGR there are some things I'd rather they do first anyway but I complain about those in appropriate treads as well.

I got this answer from games industry International after I emailed the editor.

"We too have gotten a lot of questions about this and should be able to issue an answer soon. We had to be able to confirm things and we’re getting closer to that point. As soon as we have final confirmation that is happening, we’ll let you know to give you a heads up."

That is the same site where Zynga and EA talk about LGBT equality for their games. This is the same site that the posters had to have edited. There is a correction notice at the bottom of the article. Again, GLAAD was just many of the sites I wrote to in the last week.

Certainty not concrete, not public, and it's from a third party source to boot. That is not a real answer, it's the runaround. I doubt if anyone would think that answer addresses their concerns. I wouldn't want the PvP or PvE crowd to receive such an answer. Especially if it's been since the Guild Summit that they said anything publicly.

It's a start, but not a real answer. It's full of corporate double speak that tells the player ultimately nothing. I'm not going to apologize for wanting a clear answer. That is public and in front of everyone. No matter what "side" you are on, if they are putting this in, we all have a right to know.

Sometimes I think we forget we are all gamers and passionate about this game. That's the one thing we have in common. In the midst of all this, I think everyone forgets that sometimes.

Edited by natashina

Wait... you actually believe that a gaming company would release content that excludes some players? Seriously?

Well, they already did that with romance content for some (no SGRA at launch) so why not? Why should I expect all class/gender combinations will have an SGRA option when this gets added?

Just looking at one of the few statements we have on these (this comes from Erickson):

When we do this, we wanna do it right, we wanna do it with the characters that make sense, that we always knew that we wanted to do it for those, so you guys know and we've talked about it before, it ended up being a budget and scheduling issue. There are romance arcs that we wanted to do that didn't make it in the game, we knew which characters (I'm not gonna tell you)... [some audience joking about characters] So the short answer is, it's never changed, it's still coming, it's coming when full story comes, and when is full story coming? This year. So we are still on track.

One way this can be interpreted is that they are going to add SGRA capability to existing romanceable companions...but not all because not all "make sense" or whatever. Thus, if it's only a few men/women that "make sense" ultimately some toons (depending on class/gender) won't have an option.

This interpretation may be wrong of course, but it's valid and needs further clarified...which is basically what I'd like.

Edited by stuffystuffs

Yes no one should expect answers from bioware/EA on their concerns. tired of Derp!Smash PvP'rs quit your whining the devs stated backa t the guild summit that balance is important to them. Want another hardmode to raid? Quit hassling people they announced they were going to issue regular content updates after free to play went live. Tired of Bastion crashing all the time? Suck it up they have stated they are looking into server stability.

Why is it such a problem for you that there is one thread devoted to asking about this issue? Almost no one here even says this should be a top priority perhaps a top story content priority but still so much complaining that people dare to even ask about something important to them but not you (or worse that makes you feel uncomfortable)

Calling a civil rights organization on Bioware because they dont work as fast as some people want them to is not taking it to far?

Gay people dont make me uncomfortable i been around gays my whole life, and got alot of gay friends, luckily none of them is as whiny as the ones on this board lol.

• Dev Post
We have had to remove another large number of inappropriate posts from this thread. Please remember that if you discuss the political, social, or religious implications of any topic, you will receive infractions or suspensions, and that insulting others for any reason is not tolerated. Edited by CommunitySupport

Re-edited this to take out some of the more aggressive lines.

I use the term, "you" as a general statement, not towards any one poster.

They haven't said that they were working on it publicly since March. Please show me where publicly since March they have directly told the players it's coming.

Some have said that there isn't any LGBT characters in Star Wars EU.

Here's a same gender romance in from the books, with Goran Beviin, who's husband was Medrit Vasur. Goran was first featured in the e-book Boba Fett: A Practical Man. The two of them were later fully realized in the book Sacrifice, both of which were by created by author Karen Traviss. They are officially recognized as canon by Lucasarts.

Let me try this.

I don't know how to make this anymore clear. BW-Austin made a promise to the players for this content repeatedly. And I'm not going to quibble over the word, "promise," again. That just reminds me of trying to define what, "is" is.

We do not want this going ahead of bug fixes. I have no idea where that perception comes from. I would like the 32-bit crashing bug and some of the /stuck bugs fixed first. That Win 32-mem leak truly is game breaking. Or the fact companions still might not follow you onto and off of an elevator.

I personally don't want this ahead of loosening some of the F2P restrictions. Some of those are really really silly imho, and some of my friends in game have had more trouble than they need.

Please don't talk about what comes first. Many other things have come first. Personally, I could give a flying flip about the new Warzones or new gear sets. This also includes the Black Hole, EV, Section X (not a big fan of that place,) and literally everything else that came before this point.

You realize that if BW-Austin had talked about this months ago, or even a few weeks ago at the Livestream, none of this would have happened, right? Even a simple, "Hey, it's still coming!" Or, "Hey, sorry, it had to be tossed." Not completely ignored. You do realize that most of us could live with a "Nope, sorry, we can't do it?"

The only reason why I went to GLAAD is that I found out they had helped us before. What we were supposed to do, just sit in the forums and do nothing about it? After using every means available to contact BW? I do mean every resource. We just didn't call the front office, but we literally did everything else.

I would have never dreamed that GLAAD took an interest in LGBT content in games. When I did, you bet I wrote them. I am no longer afraid or that bothered by trolls. Many of you guys are strangers in the internet; I really don't care if you feel like I'm wasting my time. I do care about getting an answer that they've had more than enough time to prepare.

So, 15 months of no implementation and 9 months without recognition may be peachy keen to some. It isn't to me and apparently not to others. The Livestream being ignored was the final straw for some.

Perhaps BW-Austin can see the kinds of passion (good and bad) it brings out in people. Maybe they'll realize that they just can't keep ignoring one section of the player base while celebrating it at the same time. And finally give us all an answer.

EA's stance on LGBT content in games and in the community.

They do this and some wonder why we stepped up our emailing? Look at the headline. No, LGBT community and their allies did not write this. EA gave the interview all by themselves. We were not going to take silence as any answer after that article.

"There have been no questions, comments or concerns raised from our investors with regards to support for LGBT initiatives in the community or having LGBT characters in our games," Maseda said, casting a net beyond DOMA and into the company's decisions to celebrate Pride Month and allow gay player characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic. "Essentially, it's been a non-issue from an investor perspective."

You do realize that the posters had to go and correct that article, right? Look at the correction notice at the bottom of the article. So yeah, we started going to GLAAD as well as news sites (GLAAD was by far not the only one written about this,) after they started talking about adding SGR characters, but not address the player base. I don't think anyone would want to take a third party site for an answer. So if they want to talk about how much they love the LGBT community and then ignore us, we are going to step up.

All of this could have been resolved with a simple, clear, honest answer.

Edited by natashina

All of this could have been resolved with a simple, clear, honest answer.

Or they could have simply included the content from day 1 and no one would have ever said a word about. It would have been a complete non-issue if the content had simply been there on launch day. The only reason this is an issue at all is because of BW deciding for whatever reason to exclude this part of the community from fully enjoying the game.

Or they could have simply included the content from day 1 and no one would have ever said a word about. It would have been a complete non-issue if the content had simply been there on launch day. The only reason this is an issue at all is because of BW deciding for whatever reason to exclude this part of the community from fully enjoying the game.

Agreed

Additionally, I've been seeing something about a Darth RuPaula in my search results, is that a new quest giver for the next chapter BW?

Edited by fabiyun

Agreed

Additionally, I've been seeing something about a Darth RuPaula in my search results, is that a new quest giver for the next chapter BW?

After a quick google search, that is just some people that are rather anti-SGR making horrible jokes. So just ignore that.

If anyone wants the contact information that I've used for various sites, PM me or check out the Story and Lore thread.

Edited by natashina

I hope you are equally mad they wasted so much time with the OGRA that could have been spent on... chat bubbles

I agree with you on this one. The real question is why was this not taken into account during the initial design of the game? You would actually have had to do MORe work in the game to uninclude the SGR option with different dialogue, dynamics, etc etc.

As a gay male, I can tell you that this does hinder my experience. When I roll a male toon, it's very odd to me to have the "option" of "flirting" with women but not have the same option for other men. I don't mind so much if I roll a female toon though just for my personal liking, I role play as women too independent and focused to get caugtht up in romances.

That is what is supposed to be the beauty of it: OPTIONS. It's more than just a black screen with kiss noises. IF for example I could romance Corso Riggs as a male toon, that would add an extra dynamic with my companion who I am spending majority of the time accomplishing missions with. Consider the dynamic the movies had between Princess Leia Organa and smuggler Han Solo.

Relationships are what can make or break an experience. If nothing else, this should be available to every clear across the board.

Something for everyone to read and think about and consider how this contrasts with the way the BW-Austin group has and continues to treat SGRA content and the community that is asking for its inclusion. A recent tumblr post from the wonderfully talented David Gaider, lead writer Bioware's Dragon Age series. A lot of relevance in what he posted to this issue within SW:TOR.

http://dgaider.tumblr.com/post/38151639841/the-impact-of-games

Edited by Nozybidaj

Something for everyone to read and think about and consider how this contrasts with the way the BW-Austin group has and continues to treat SGRA content and the community that is asking for its inclusion. A recent tumblr post from the wonderfully talented David Gaider, lead writer Bioware's Dragon Age series. A lot of relevance in what he posted to this issue within SW:TOR.

http://dgaider.tumblr.com/post/38151639841/the-impact-of-games

Thank you for this, it was a good read.

For all the people who are completely opposed to the idea of SGRA in the game (or any game), here is a portion of that linked post that I found the most interesting, and the primary reason why I believe more games need to have SGR content:

"I agree that games are not a platform for dealing with social issues. For a developer, they are not and really cannot be the primary consideration. But they are not something to be discarded as irrelevant. We have influence— on what is considered “normal” and “acceptable” as much as anything else. Even when we intentionally are not saying something, we are still saying something even by its omission— and that means we have a responsibility to think about what that is."

So, way back in the spring we were promised that we were getting same gender romance arcs in 2012 still. With barely 13 days left in the year it seems like this is a promise they aren't keeping.

(For evidence, this was said at the Guild Summit by Daniel Erickson himself, the Q&A transcript you can read here )

BUT, we have an expansion pack coming, and a chance to add story to the game, so now I wonder, will you now make good on that and give gamers what they've come to expect of Bioware games ever since Knights of the Old Republic back in 2003?

So, way back in the spring we were promised that we were getting same gender romance arcs in 2012 still. With barely 13 days left in the year it seems like this is a promise they aren't keeping.

(For evidence, this was said at the Guild Summit by Daniel Erickson himself, the Q&A transcript you can read here )

BUT, we have an expansion pack coming, and a chance to add story to the game, so now I wonder, will you now make good on that and give gamers what they've come to expect of Bioware games ever since Knights of the Old Republic back in 2003?

Just say NO to SGR. This game has way too many issues to even consider something as worthless and silly as SGR.

Edited by Klarick