Operative as DPS for 50lv PvE

Michalrajtar

Hey! After finishing my Jedi Guardian I wanted to create IA in DPS.

Word is going on that Sniper is great DPS and I know it, but I wanted to create Operative in DPS. Thing is It will be for PvE. I want to do on it KP HM, EV HM, EC HM, maybe even asation :), but everyone keep telling me that Operative no matter in Lethality or Concealment is worst DPS as it can be for PvE. So it is sense in creating DPS PvE Operative or just leave that idea? :p

Hey! After finishing my Jedi Guardian I wanted to create IA in DPS.

Word is going on that Sniper is great DPS and I know it, but I wanted to create Operative in DPS. Thing is It will be for PvE. I want to do on it KP HM, EV HM, EC HM, maybe even asation :), but everyone keep telling me that Operative no matter in Lethality or Concealment is worst DPS as it can be for PvE. So it is sense in creating DPS PvE Operative or just leave that idea? :p

You can do it if you like and the raid leader has no problem with carrying you.

You can try to perfect your rotation which will indeed help but in the end there are much better dps choices than operative. Not only you are melee dps of 4m, you dont even have a viable gap closer like force charge or force speed on very short cooldown, even PT which has better dps than you burst and sustained has 10m effective range, and multiple 30m heavy attacks.

If you really want a DPS Imperial Agent, your friends are right, sniper is the way to go.

I've seen some Operatives kick some of the more popular DPS classes butts in damage. People forget how much the player matters. In my Ops group, not many of us pull numbers anywhere close to what I see people post as "average" in various parses in these and other forums, but we got it done, HM, NiM. Yet we've "carried" a Marauder, lol. So play what you want and find a good group of people. Edited by chuixupu

I've seen some Operatives kick some of the more popular DPS classes butts in damage. People forget how much the player matters. In my Ops group, not many of us pull numbers anywhere close to what I see people post as "average" in various parses in these and other forums, but we got it done, HM, NiM. Yet we've "carried" a Marauder, lol. So play what you want and find a good group of people.

Not saying other "players" cant lose out dps race vs operative dps.

All the DPS in your raid that get outdpsed by the operative (assuming identical gear) flat out sucked balls.

As I mentioned OP can practice to a point that he can beat out all the bads that dont know how to play on an operative. He's just not going to beat any competent players on better dps ACs.

Your operative beating marauderis because the marauder sucked not the operative ruled.

Well I am hardly a pro on end game raids, but I am inclined to agree with warultima. It's ok to use an operative on a story mode operation if you know the team well, and know they can handle it in hardmode. But when it gets to content that's really pushing your team to the limit you gotta use a character that fits perfectly into one of the triad roles. It's not bad per se to use a operative damage dealer, but you must know the limits. If the team doesn't get in the damage in time it's a team wipe. Of course there are exceptions - if you push the buttons for the Heavy Manufacturer (I never pushed the buttons myself so correct me if I am wrong) in Karraga's Palace it doesn't matter that much. At the Pylons in the Eternity Vault you should be fine... but there are instances where for a damage dealer only pure, raw dps counts. And a sniper with the equal skill and equipment does more dps.

I was planning on creating a damage Jedi Guardian soon myself, though I never had any intentions to do operations with her. From a look at the skill tree that's a rather extreme case, since the only damage tree in Guardian is the one shared with the Sentinel, just with a single one lightsaber. It may mean that even on Flashpoints the primary tank has to leave some of the tanking to me and that we're in trouble if the boss is on a timer...

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Not saying other "players" cant lose out dps race vs operative dps.

All the DPS in your raid that get outdpsed by the operative (assuming identical gear) flat out sucked balls.

As I mentioned OP can practice to a point that he can beat out all the bads that dont know how to play on an operative. He's just not going to beat any competent players on better dps ACs.

Your operative beating marauderis because the marauder sucked not the operative ruled.

I'm not actually disagreeing with you...I do believe the marauder SHOULD beat the operative. But the fact that we easily cleared all content regardless is my point. It didn't matter. The number differences aren't that huge.

Dear OP,

Forget all the arguing in this post and play the way you want to play. Yes it's true that a DPS Op wont do as much damage as a Sent or Marauder will, but Ops can be very effective if you know how to play them properly. Since you have been a Guardian, you already at least have a basic understanding of fighting people from close range, which you will need if you plan on DPSing with an Op.

The one thing that gets a lot of people confused with the Op is that you cant just button mash and expect tons of damage, you really need to think ahead and try and plan things The one thing that is very underestimated in an Op is its ability to be flexible and very mobile, and knowing when to do certain things can make a huge difference. Give it a shot and go through the trees a bit to find which you like more and then stick with it. Ops are a great class, they just take a lot more time and effort to understand properly and that leads to more QQing than usual. Hope this helps!

One of my Ops groups runs EC HM / Asation and all the fun stuff.

We've got an operative with lethality that generally beats or ties with 2 snipers (myself being one of them). We usually rock MOX and always are having DPS races. So, to say that Ops cant dps as well as othee classes is a bit silly.

Of the snipers our operative beats in our MOX runs, we have a leth sniper and a MMS. Both rocking the DPS.

Just sayin -- ops can be awesome -- better healers though.

• 2 months later...

We've got an operative with lethality that generally beats or ties with 2 snipers (myself being one of them). We usually rock MOX and always are having DPS races. So, to say that Ops cant dps as well as othee classes is a bit silly.

Of the snipers our operative beats in our MOX runs, we have a leth sniper and a MMS. Both rocking the DPS.

I agree. The more I play my DPS operative the higher the sustained DPS and peak DPS gets as compared to other DPS in the group. Hitting countermeasures and stealthing out of boss aggro is getting annoying now. If we get a gap closer, look out Marauders. LOL

I agree. The more I play my DPS operative the higher the sustained DPS and peak DPS gets as compared to other DPS in the group. Hitting countermeasures and stealthing out of boss aggro is getting annoying now. If we get a gap closer, look out Marauders. LOL

I would not worry about being top dps just go play what you want to play. Op leaders only care if you are full spec, at least the good ones anyway.

Ops get awesome cc and you can respec heals which can be huge when somebody has to leave. It's not all about dps they are a dime a dozen.

ops make do make better healers than dps, I have both an operative and sniper both pretty much put out the same dps beacuse i keep my dps set in legacy gear both pretty much are the same gear wise aside from implants/ear,

now that dual spec is free i swap out from lethality and concealment pending on the encounter when im filling in for a missing dps for raid night ( i generally heal)

For TFB i run

Horror - Concealment

Council - Lethality

Operator - Concealment

Kephess - Concealment

TFB - concealment or lethality work about the same

my lethality sniper puts out around 200 more dps than my scrapper in the same tier gear (propper weights). when i went DF on my scoundrel i dropped another 100 dps.

fact is: you can fall asleep at the wheel with a sniper and match the dps you work your arse off for as an op

• 1 month later...

I find it funny that alot of players compare a non-pure AC to a pure AC and say, that since it can't beat a pure dps at dps, then it sucks as a dps.

Why not compare operative dps to another AC that has multiple role possibilities, like Assassin or Juggernaut? Just Saying.

In the end, if the operative dps is really just too low to compete, then bioware needs to buff them up so they can compete.