Role playing

LeavarionCL

Hello, I have been playing PvP and found it utterly irritating not because I am bad at it because I don't want to run around looking over my back because some moron wants to test my character against his. So, suffice to say I am thinking of branching into RP-PvE more likely. Can anyone give me any advice ie what to focus on with solo playing and group playing, or if anyone would like to help me level etc, I'd be very grateful

If you're going to do it, I suggest you roll on Lord Adraas, either side. Currently the most populated RP-PvE server. There also seems to be a decent PvP contingent if you're interested in that sort of thing and like most servers Imps seem to have the upper hand, but unlike most servers maybe not by a huge margin.

There are a couple good raiding guilds Republic side, which is where I spend most of my time. I don't know much about the Imp side raiding scene.

Edited by DarthTHC

Actually, Ebon Hawk is the largest US RP-PvE server based on sheer numbers. My guild is on Sanctum of the Exalted and we have a very active RP community.

And don't listen to the nay-sayers. RP is what keeps you going between the content updates.

Actually, Ebon Hawk is the largest US RP-PvE server based on sheer numbers. My guild is on Sanctum of the Exalted and we have a very active RP community.

And don't listen to the nay-sayers. RP is what keeps you going between the content updates.

My RP days were done back in playing the pen and paper game called Rift. I never bothered going on an RP server since I started MMO's but after playing WoW and Rift, Rift was the first time I played on and enjoyed an RP server, I would tell anyone who is interested in community run servers to play on an RP. The players are friendlier and more hospitable. Yes, you still get a few trolls but they are few and far between plus there is a better enforcement of rules on RP servers.

Edited by Skidrowbro

plus there is a better enforcement of rules on RP servers.

You must not be playing on a SW:TOR RP server. BioWare has openly admitted that it is doing nothing to police RP servers. It doesn't even monitor for naming policies.

You must not be playing on a SW:TOR RP server. BioWare has openly admitted that it is doing nothing to police RP servers. It doesn't even monitor for naming policies.

I really don't get it? I will also take this time to say that SWTOR is the first MMO I've played so please go easy on me

I really don't get it? I will also take this time to say that SWTOR is the first MMO I've played so please go easy on me

This is my first MMO as well.

In terms of RP servers, I expected them to remain RP-oriented. I imagined a server where players were continuously acting IC and I would see a great deal of interesting names and nicely created stories. However, with no kind of moderation at all, players that haven't come to an RP server to RP make ridiculous names and some give the RPers grief for RPing on an RP server. This has also created the problem that there is no open-world RP on any of the RP servers that I've been on (six altogether). In addition, we're filled with non-RPers that have come to RP servers for "a better community." To me, this is nonsensical and I truly wish that they would have sought a different server. It does not make sense to me to create a character on an RP server if you have no intention of RPing.

My rant has ended.

In terms of RP servers, I expected them to remain RP-oriented. I imagined a server where players were continuously acting IC and I would see a great deal of interesting names and nicely created stories. However, with no kind of moderation at all, players that haven't come to an RP server to RP make ridiculous names and some give the RPers grief for RPing on an RP server. This has also created the problem that there is no open-world RP on any of the RP servers that I've been on (six altogether). In addition, we're filled with non-RPers that have come to RP servers for "a better community." To me, this is nonsensical and I truly wish that they would have sought a different server. It does not make sense to me to create a character on an RP server if you have no intention of RPing.

My rant has ended.

lol right I get it now. See I was on PvP server for awhile got my tank to lvl 47 then became abhorrently sick with all the morons that kept challenging me and I want to try something different. So I thank you for your information. :)

lol right I get it now. See I was on PvP server for awhile got my tank to lvl 47 then became abhorrently sick with all the morons that kept challenging me and I want to try something different. So I thank you for your information. :)

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

If you'd like a PvE server, then I suggest Mind Trick. I have a few now abandoned characters over there, but it's a decent server. There are some good guilds and good people as well. It's a moderately populated server, but it's nice.

Hello, I have been playing PvP and found it utterly irritating not because I am bad at it because I don't want to run around looking over my back because some moron wants to test my character against his. So, suffice to say I am thinking of branching into RP-PvE more likely. Can anyone give me any advice ie what to focus on with solo playing and group playing, or if anyone would like to help me level etc, I'd be very grateful

Well, do you want to RP or not? If you're more interested in levelling fast, you're more likely to find a good PL group in a PvE environment.

If you're into the RP, then I reccomend Sanctum of the exalted. It's got a strong, organized RP environment.

If you're not sure what you want, then try this... take the Ideal Guild Quiz and see where the people who play like you do hang out.

http://www.tortoolbox.com/quiz

Paige

Well, I'm not sure the cost/benefit ratio on "policing" the RP on RP servers is worth it for anyone.

What does happen is that there is a sort of social enforcement of RP norms. Some of the big guilds will boot a character that doesn't have a RP name (mine does, for instance). Every name has got to have a story. Sometimes that story concludes with "and that's how I got that nickname" and that's okay.

Paige

1. What type of roleplaying are you looking for?

There are different types of roleplay. Some that will be what some call "lore police" that is everything you roleplay has to fit what the deem worthy.

There are some that use the lore/canon as a basis but they allow individual freedom to the character and for people that are new to roleplaying that sometimes works to the benefit of the new player.

2. Are you looking for a guild or a goup to roleplay with?

If you are, then I would suggest this:

a. Figure out what type of guild/group you want to become involved it and then look for that group. Not all guilds/groups are the same just as not all roleplays are the same.

Another suggestion find someone that is willing to help you if you are new without saying No No you can't do that or this. Unfortunely, some roleplayers get so involved into trying to get people to fit into what they believe they should be that they have forgotten the basic idea, fun .

Above all roleplaying should be fun and should allow you the individual freedom to create your character how you imagine him/her to be based on your perception not on someone else.

As far as servers, check them out for yourself and see which suits your style and time schedule.

Good luck..

Well, I'm not sure the cost/benefit ratio on "policing" the RP on RP servers is worth it for anyone.

What does happen is that there is a sort of social enforcement of RP norms. Some of the big guilds will boot a character that doesn't have a RP name (mine does, for instance). Every name has got to have a story. Sometimes that story concludes with "and that's how I got that nickname" and that's okay.

Paige

My guild does this too, but we're not a large enough guild to make an impact. I've noticed that a great deal of the bigger guilds on Jung Ma don't seem to have any RP focus at all. Many advertise as "PvE & PvP with some RP," which I find insulting, to be honest.

I've turned down potential recruits due to names in the past. I'll likely be turning down Sith Jedi in the future as well. I can't believe BioWare did that :mad:

If you'd like a PvE server, then I suggest Mind Trick. I have a few now abandoned characters over there, but it's a decent server. There are some good guilds and good people as well. It's a moderately populated server, but it's nice.

I'll vouch for this suggestion.

My non-RP characters (in every MMO that supports it, I have one "normal" server and one RP server) are on Mind Trick, and I've found it a pretty pleasant server overall. It's never packed by any means, but you can almost always see a conversation going in General as you level on any given planet, and it's relatively easy to snag people for a group as long as you're not looking at like 2AM on a Wednesday.

I've fallen for Lord Adraas a bit when it comes to RP. For all my disappointing experiences at the start there, once you get to a point where you don't mind chillin' in a Cantina for a bit you'll stumble into a lot more sporadic RP moments than I was expecting.

I'll likely be turning down Sith Jedi in the future as well. I can't believe BioWare did that :mad:

Don't see why it isn't at least possible, if not plausible. Not EVERY Sith (as-in, the race) is going to have an identical world view as the rest of their race, there are always outlying individuals who will, either by natural inclination or through their life experiences, deviate from the norm. A Sith could, by some wacky circumstances, come to be raised to believe in the philosophy of the Jedi (good moment for that "adopted child" Legacy choice) and, through good word and proof of intent, be admitted as a padawan.

Now, if Sith Jedi were a default choice, so we see them all over the place... that would be a problem.

Don't see why it isn't at least possible, if not plausible. Not EVERY Sith (as-in, the race) is going to have an identical world view as the rest of their race, there are always outlying individuals who will, either by natural inclination or through their life experiences, deviate from the norm. A Sith could, by some wacky circumstances, come to be raised to believe in the philosophy of the Jedi (good moment for that "adopted child" Legacy choice) and, through good word and proof of intent, be admitted as a padawan.

Now, if Sith Jedi were a default choice, so we see them all over the place... that would be a problem.

Yes, it's possible and we have a Sith Jedi with us now, but that doesn't mean there should be a ton of them. What are the odds that a Sith becomes a Jedi? It doesn't look right if we have a million Sith running around Tython. It actually makes my blood boil.

My rant has ended.

I don't RP often, but people are normally friendier on RP servers, I learned hat on WoW my last 2 years. Yea there's still the a-holes but I'm referring to ingeneral. You might be surprized to find out that you have some closet RPers that just havn't come out yet. I'm in a none RP guild, one of my guild mates asked if she could watch, ask question &/or join in when she felt comfortable after finding out that i RPed & is havning alot of fun now.

I don't RP often, but people are normally friendier on RP servers, I learned hat on WoW my last 2 years. Yea there's still the a-holes but I'm referring to ingeneral. You might be surprized to find out that you have some closet RPers that just havn't come out yet. I'm in a none RP guild, one of my guild mates asked if she could watch, ask question &/or join in when she felt comfortable after finding out that i RPed & is havning alot of fun now.

I know what you mean about people being shy. I've made it a special point to always ask people if they want to RP whenever we group or I just jump right in. Sometimes they respond appropriately and other times they don't. I will say that I die a little inside every time I get a "lol I don't RP."

Ebon Hawk has the numbers, but the RP there is almost non-existant, or at least that's the case whenever I log on...The occasional smattering of usuals at the fleet bar and that's about it.

Ebon Hawk has the numbers, but the RP there is almost non-existant, or at least that's the case whenever I log on...The occasional smattering of usuals at the fleet bar and that's about it.

May I ask when you log on? I always find RP on the Fleet or elsewhere (DK/Nar Shaddaa mostly). My guild is RP first, so it might be that I know where to look for the RP.

I've turned down potential recruits due to names in the past.

I've turned down several applicants for usernames AND character names. If someone thinks it's a good idea to have a forum username of RollABlunt, then that person has already demonstrated a severe lack of judgement and I don't want to have anything to do with them. Any character named any variant of Aragorn, Legolas, Shepard, Darth Vader, Boba Fett, or Skywalker is declined, too.

I won't PUG with people with absurd names either. They have already demonstrated that they desire to be offensive or that they lack good judgement - so why would I waste my limited play-time with that sort of person? I play a lot of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, and I'll leave a group if someone with a sex-, racism- or drug-based username joins the group. It's no different in SWTOR, except that Bioware gives me a tool to report usernames, which I do. For instance, someone thought it would be a stellar idea to call his character [spanish word for male reproductive anatomy]. Yep, P****o, you got reported...

Some people just need to test the limits. Hope they learn. It's like the urban myth of the guy who submitted a job application at a prestigous law firm with an email address of SexPig69@.... Did you *really* think that was a good idea? In this day and age, people judge you by your username *all* the time.

Paige

Wow. I play on The Ebon Hawk, and I've had fairly regular sessions of RP lasting anywhere between 4 - 12 hours (the 12-hour sessions being less regular!). I hardly play the actual storyline part of the game anymore. Most of it is public, too. I've RPed in caves on Taris, Hoth and Voss, at Cantinas on Coruscant, Tython, Nar Shaddaa, Alderaan, Fleet, and The Gav Daragon, in spare buildings in Coruscant, Tython, Voss and Alderaan, in weird combat situations (both full and partially RPed) in various places, in natural settings on Tython, Alderaan and Hoth, in the Senate complex (interior and plaza) and Spaceport on Coruscant, in the Jedi Temple, and in med-centers (on Nar Shaddaa and Coruscant). Occasionally, I'll RP in the Hangar or on the Ship.

So the RP is out there. Clearly, my list is Republic-oriented, but certainly it's out there. RP most easily starts in the cantinas, where you meet folks and make friends, then you build your stories and take them out into the galaxy. It's hard to randomly find RP outside of cantinas, only because the galaxy is so big, but I promise you that it's happening.

Maybe there's a giant difference in terms of the amount of RP Empire-side versus the Republic; I don't know.

Info for novices (not necessarily you, Listerman!) interested in RPing:

When folks who want to start RPing are in a cantina, they shouldn't try to jump into the middle of the most active group of RPers, as it might be difficult to fold them into an ongoing storyline; it's not meant to seem rude or dismissive, it's just really difficult to manage a lot of people in the same narrative at once in a cantina setting. Look for someone else who's maybe quiet-ish, but more open to an overture, and start a tale with them. Sometimes it can take several visits to the mixers to build enough familiarity to begin to build a unique narrative, so folks who want to RP need a little persistence!

Use the OOC channel to find out what's going on. Just type /cjoin OOC and say 'Hi'.

Edited by a_birdbird
left out some information

Lord Adraas is a great server with some wonderful people. I would heavily suggest trying it out.

If you want to get familiar with the rokeplay communities on different servers, I would suggest visiting http://www.swtor-rp.com and taking a look at the different RP servers registered on those forums as well as the different roleplay guilds listed there. It is a great resource guide for all things roleplay and Star Wars: TOR.

I have never played on any server but Lord Adraas so I can't comment on the others, but personally, I am never lacking for RP on LA. You find it in the fleet cantinas, in the Nar Shaddaa cantina, on Tython and Korriban and random places in between. Getting in with an RP guild and watching the swtor-rp.com events calendar is probably your best bet to get in with RP on any server you choose.