Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

If you do Operations (most serious players do), it's probably not going to kill your gaming experience... unless everyone sits on the Fleet all day crying about it, instead of running Ops.

Can paying subscribers PLEASE get more character slots per server? :rak_02:

Look Operations already have huge lag spikes due to overcowding the server and Free to Play will just make it worse.

When you exit the Operations to go to Fleet it will take minutes to get back or get DCed as the lag will be insane.

I see this as a huge FUBAR for paying customers as anytime you are not in a Operations the game will suck.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was defended the game when everyone else said this game will be F2P. Well you fanboys of F2P got what you wanted, but with a catch. Free to level 50, but if you want to do more you have to pay. Gives the casual gamer's their freedom to play without having to raid and be restricted on other areas as well. I will continue to sub as intended, cause I like this game and this game is what SWG should have been if SOE ever got their heads out of their *****'s.

DC Online could have been great, but they relied on a company that hasn't done anything great since Everquest and also released an MMo on a console, a mistake in my book.

I am a huge Star Wars fan and will support this game till they shut the doors, but I doubt that will happen. As long as Bioware keeps the content going and not lax on it, this game will thrive. If you were one of the whiner's before about F2P and now your whinning cause it did go F2P then just shut up.

Also if your going to waste our time and ramble on how the game is dead and BW killed and that your going to quit, PLEASE DON"T, save us all from your own insanity and just quit. Seriously, your just taking up our bandwidth but residing your lag-tastic fail-nes. Save yourself the humiliation and just quit and don't post about it.

I'm not going to say whether it's a good thing or not that SWTOR is going free to play, but I would like to comment on what I think the real problem is and why it's a problem.

The fact stands that people who have played SWTOR and left are, in general, unhappy with the SWTOR game experience. This, i believe, is because there are still too many issues with the game. Two frustrations i had when i came back were the subscribing using PayPal not working, and the map not displaying what it's suppose to all the time. Now, I'm not going to make this a bug report, but I think the real problem is that these issues are creating a poor gaming experience. A poor game experience means that people aren't having fun, and having fun is the whole point of a game right?

With that said, the solution to me is pretty clear, fix the problems in a timely manner and people will have a good experience. If people are having a good time, then they, and all their friends will continue to play. I think we all agree that this game had (and still probably has) huge potential to be an MMO giant. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen until a quality product is formed.

I understand that there are so many different people out there that you can't please them all. I also understand that fixing a game like this is anything but simple, but you have to do what needs to be done. Quite frankly, i don't think it matters what new content is developed, or whether the game is f2p or not, because without a functionally sound foundation (that is simply enjoyable) people will continue to leave.

i am so over gaming companies especially EA, i am done with Bioware, they hype this all up for failure, Bioware screwe up by selling out to EA, i don't care what the reason was, in my mind its all politics and we got screwed, i am fed up,EA is the worse gaming company as far as how they treat the community, so long EA and Bioware, i even refuse to buy mass effect 3 just because of how they ignored SWTOR and sold us out, all that money foor nothing all this updating my comp was for nothing, i am going to swgemu and will stay there.

I understand your fears. I myself was thinking the same thing. Yes EA has destroyed many things in it career. Not up to or including other game franchises or movie licenses.

Over all though, Mass Effect 3 was a decent game. (I say decent because I haven't finished it yet myself) I implore all the Bioware fans not to give up on them. They have created great games for all of us to play through. They earned the right to be a 5 star game development company. EA on the other hand just has more money. So they did what anyone with money does, they bought something. This something was Bioware. Then EA decided to put timelines and what not on every game Bioware has. So in the end it's EA not Bioware.

Well I've played Just about every MMO out there... I can say F2P saved Conan, Saved Star Trek amd Saved DC online somewhat... I would say Conan was the big winner going F2P. As far as me I perfer sub's cause it keeps all the rift raft out... all the players that just want to talk crap and really dont add to the community. It does generally help those casual players because they usually dont sub but do micro transaction to buy gear instead of earning it themseleves. I was very happy with the server mergers as it made a ton of servers pop'n ... All I can say is there are 10's of millions of players that will pay sub's if the game is good enough. So all Bioware can do is figure out why it didnt happen to a game that has the best fanchise possibilty in the world!

I canceled my sub 2 days ago but I didn't know anything about F2P then. This game haves a huge list of pro's which makes it better then any other MMO in those fields, but also haves a list of con's that made ppl leave the game and making game F2P aint gonna bring ppl who quit cause ppl who quit wanna see imaginative fights in PvE and PvP.

F2P imo will bring PvP freaks who will do the permited amount of matches per week and then play some other games till resets. It might bring some peeps who will come to check it out and fall in love with it by the time they reach lvl50 and decide to sub. but those wont be in majority.

I will come back, and play with sub. once new content hit the servers but if its gonna be boring, unimaginative then I'll just cancel it again.

My recommendation is make every boss fight a fun one, also make like 60 quests that will play out on all planets and give them randomly as daily assignments thus making sure all planets are visited and you never know what quest is gonna hit you once you log in.

Bioware creative team needs to be better, braver and bolder. IMO short fun daily quests that only a selection of ppl get thus making you feel more special, PvP fights like huttball where you have to utilize your suroundings and teammates and in PvE each boss fight to be a fun boss fight like SOA and Warlord Kephess where fight progresses in stages where each stage is unique is what this game needs.

Ppl already listed what they want so see in the game I belive (more species, same gender romance, more customatization in any race not just human, options to customize fonts and colors of demage&heals, to see only your own debuffs on enemy, more spells for some classes cause commando compared to a sentinel is like retarded 3 button rotation mostly etc.). Work on adding more end game content in shorter time intervals, like 2-3 months and fix/upgrade existing features and the game will be the best MMO in this decade for sure.

Why is the Sub remaining $15 when 50% of the game is free?

If I buy a Big Mac and Fries and the Fries are F2P I'm only going to pay for the Big Mac right?

What benefits does a subscription give? Full WZ and Ops is not worth $15 a month. Even less so with the obvious slowing of patches due to focus on maintaining F2P players.

I would have to agree with this. As will many other people who will then stop paying. Then we will have fewer people to raid with and then DEATH to Raiding. Also he stated that many of the previous subscribers would return to a F2P format. Many subscribers left because of PVP. Then make the game F2P but limit everything but story. Seems counter productive.

I'm having fun in SWTOR, and I have no problem paying $15/month to play. While I would rather keep the game subscription only (higher quality players IMHO), I understand that the game has to go f2p to generate more revenue. More revenue means more content can be created.

I love SWTOR, and I want whatever it takes to bring me more story. I'm waiting for Chapter 4 on my Trooper. I am working on my Agent. I have many other classes to play. When I get them all through Chapter 3, I am going to want to continue on. This requires that the game is making money. If f2p will help that happen, so be it.

However, if the game ever becomes Pay to Win, forget it.

After reading so many comments, I agree.

Little do they know that playing "free" means they'll lag far behind everyone else since restrictions won't allow them to advance in many, many different ways. Ways such as gear and many other options. Hope BioWare keeps those restrictions alive and well.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, all those paying the small current monthly fee ( who can't afford $14-16 monthly?) will continue ahead of the curve while the "freebies" stay behind.

It's almost shameful to admit you can't pay a small monthly fee.

And for all those saying it's great that it means more players. Don't you see all those freebie players won't be able to do many of the things paying subs can. Restrictions!!!!!

BioWare: Free to play is a terrible idea on your part. And even worse for those taking advantage of it.

Edited by RikHar

I

My only concern is really is when are you guys going to add in same-gender romance options. That is a big reason for why I've played the game. KOTOR.

If this is your only concern then you better check your priorities. They lagging really bad.

Totally disappointed with Bioware and EA on this. Have looked over what you get for your subscription and what people get for playing for free. Nothing there. Nothing to offer. On top of that, if I sub I am paying for those that are "freeloading". I MAY stick around to make it to one year....but I am very doubtful about that. This is a huge slap in the face to those of use that have stuck with Bioware on SWTOR as far as I am concerned.

I hate to be that rational guy that thinks he knows everything, but I just have to. The ppl on here that have said "the age of the MMO is over" (as we know it now) are pretty much right. This is not a bad thing, it's just how it is.

As we say in the business: it's not enough "ROI" (return on investment). EA thought Bioware could make enough content and playability to satisfy the amount of hype they had around this game. That was a recipe for destruction.

Don't be dumb people, look at the TRENDS. A game is hyped, pick ANY online game. People create buzz about how awesome it will be and how it will destroy the current games. The game is released. The launch is ALWAYS treated as bad by the fans. After that initial anger, it levels out and the game experiences it's best weeks/months of growth and happy players. As soon as the level 50s come into play, the complaining starts that there is not enough content. Then the PVPers complain about balancing. Then the company get's it's first surge of profit from the sales and pre-sales. Then they start getting the subscriptions.

However within 2 months of release the level 50 complainers start and the PvP complaining starts. As much as everyone thinks "my request is easy and doesn't need development time" is wrong. Now the company has it's go live bugs, they need to work on content, they need to work on balancing. People stop playing. Subscriptions get canceled. Income slows and there is a ton of work to be done.

Even if it's F2P, they need to make money to keep the servers operating, patches coming, content, etc. The reason F2P is seen as the "death of the game" is they are basically working off of borrowed money. They are now giving it away free just to keep people in. They still need income just to keep the lights on. It just wont last.

The problem now is all the players are more mature (not from age) but from a gaming expectation stand point. Their expectations are WAY too high, and the time and money it takes for a company to create enough content, flawless game engine/system, can't satisfy these customers.

The age of the MMO is over. There is no way they can keep millions of people happy for a prolonged period of time to generate enough cash. At best games like Diablo that are simplistic, but entertaining are the way of the future. That or games where people can just jump into, start playing PVP without a lot of effort.

It's great that you will be able to buy new outfits and stuff in the store makes it kind of pointless if you dont adjust the lower tier gear to carry set bonuses though.

Tell me why would a F2P player spend money to buy coins to get an outfit when they cant do opps and a columi set bonus wont transfer to their shinny new outfit.

Just a thought if you want to gain revenue from your F2P model you have to put some thought into whats what.

This news about free subscriptions with limited access is BS! I have been a loyal subscriber since 12/25/11 and now they are going to drop price to $16 (I paid $60). Their going to change the game money to cartel coins? Credits are the currency of Star Wars, watch a new hope and all the rest! I am all for good changes to the game but these ones scream, while paying customers (a.k.a. subscribers) are footing the bill, these n00bs can play for free? Does that mean we foot the bill to pay the salaries of the game production and development they are going to just give it away to everyone else! :mad:

Also are we going to have to pay for the new coins in addition to paying for you loyal subscription?

Grand Master Jedi

Nosemaj

Guild: Jedi Order

Server: Jedi Convent

East coast

Note: If this game was going to go F2P then EA & Bioware should have just come out for Xbox360 like anounced on E3 2010.

Now that the F2P has been announced for this game, I realize several things.

First, the very same things get said in every such situation. Just as with LOTRO, people are saying they were lied too, that the game is a fail, that it is now open to everybody, that the game will thrive, that it will die, and so on.

I won't say I'm not amused at the way people gnash teeth and scream at the sky because this specific game failed to avoid a fate that may be inevitable for all major MMORPGs save WoW. After living through the LOTRO fuss, I'm enjoying the denialists and others who held various views over my head. Can't say I care if they really do leave either. Most I don't wish ill, others I'm enjoying watching them suffer from their own angst. Because for all intensive purposes, this is SWTOR 2.0 now. New people will come, and a different community is going to replace this hype-drugged bunch.

Curiously, I'm almost to a point I can put aside any combative feelings, and simply enjoy the game again.

Thanks EA, it took long enough!