Is Opportune strike removed in 2.0?

errant_knight

I love pommel strike. I just find it really, really fun. I'm very sad to see it go. Thing is, I'm wondering iff opportune strike is going, too, because I love that just as much. playing a guardian is going to be pretty dry if both are gone, even ignoring the fact that removing all abilities that require stun or incapacitation would be a huge step in the button masher direction in a game that's already become far too easy. Anyone know if this is gone as well?

Yeah, I'm gutted by this. I still hope BW rethinks this call. I spent a fair amount of time on the PTS forum making the case against cutting all the on-stunned trash attacks from the game. I don't know if we did any good on that front, but I hope so. The primary thread on that has dissappeared from the PTS list, so maybe they're reconsidering.

I aggressively use both Opportune (on leap and leg slash) and Pommel (after Blade Storm) when running dailies on my Sentinel. Typically I drop 2 Opportunes and maybe a Pommel PER mob. Tumult and Blitz are handy too for my Seer and Commando. They are such a satisfying way of dealing with that one vibrosword wielding knucklehead that manages to reach me. Heheh. There were also a number of tanks who pointed out that these are handy moves for grabbing aggro from trashmobs in the area, while they focus their taunts on larger opponents.

In short, lots of reasons to keep'em; no real good reasons to kill'em off. (For those who don't use'em, just leave them off your quick bar, banished to the same ability page limbo as your level 1 speeder and forgotten pets.)

We also brainstormed how these attacks could be made a bit more broadly useful, and thus more broadly used. (After we all got done venting our spleens and sniping back and forth with folks who don't use them and wanted them removed. - I still don't understand why they cared enough to post.)

Nobody was arguing that the deliciously high damage these attacks do to trash targets should be applicable to Champ/Boss or live PvP targets. Such tougher opponents are not so easily overwhelmed by our character's inherent awesomeness. Instead, I think folks were leaning towards them functioning as a low-damage interupt+short stun on Champ targets and a simple low-damage interupt for Boss/PvP targets.

Darth Maul macking a guard on Naboo in the face may well kill him on the spot. Doing the same to Qui-gon just takes him off guard...but provides the opening for a coup de gras with the glowy end of his saber. Fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, they were contributing to ability bloat, so they had to go.

My opinion? I came from a game where the maximum number of quickslots you could have was over 100, so it's complete bunkum in my opinion. I made a suggestion on what they could do to take them off the quickbar but keep them in the game. No one even looked at it.

I don't know if they're planning to replace them with anything to be honest. In the one Dev-post on the topic they made a vague reference to the option of recycling the "animations", saying that "perhaps" they might come back "at some point" and "in some form" but "no promises" as to when or how.

Personally, I've got my fingers crossed that when I boot up 2.0 RotHC tomorrow one or both will still be there. Otherwise it'll be goodbye to three old friends: Force Leap>Opportune; Leg Slash>Opportune and Blade Storm>Pommel Strike. Section X won't be the same without you.

... sigh.

Gotta wait till I get home to boot up 2.0 and see if they're really gone. In the typical 5+ Section X trashmob I'll use Opportune Strike (following Force Leap or Leg Slash) on both the first and last enemy. I'll often use Blade Storm > Pommel Strike on one in the middle, esp. if I've got to run towards the target first. Both are great for quickly dropping ads before focusing my core rotation on a stronger opponent. Fingers crossed that at least one of them is still in-game!

Gotta wait till I get home to boot up 2.0 and see if they're really gone. In the typical 5+ Section X trashmob I'll use Opportune Strike (following Force Leap or Leg Slash) on both the first and last enemy. I'll often use Blade Storm > Pommel Strike on one in the middle, esp. if I've got to run towards the target first. Both are great for quickly dropping ads before focusing my core rotation on a stronger opponent. Fingers crossed that at least one of them is still in-game!

Both are gone. *mourns the sadly empty spaces in his hotbar*

Edited by PlasmaJohn

I am Very sad to see these go I used them often I thought they where adding new ability's not taking away ones my quick bars feel bare fighting is more boring they added a little flare to your moves ,now its boring :(:mad: its like u got demoted have to work ur way up to get guardian slash when i already had it at 50 whats that about

Ran Ilum, BH and Section X dailies last night. Took a little bit to get used to not having those two talents but I guess I'll live. Interestingly I noticed that something is occasionally ending the cooldown of Precision Slash. It also seems that I can still spam Blade Rush.

I'm v.lazy wrt theorycrafting and optimizing DPS so it's quite possible that I've never noticed it before :p