Swtor put on a backburner

Collec

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got me there, but that alone tells there is ONE flaw in my post.

SWTOR had all the chances to compete and surpass WOW, but it was wasted, in a similar manner, as in Anthem. It had an identity or rather genre crisis, where is was labeled as mmo rpg, but it, in fact, was story rpg set in mmo environment. It’s launch was actually quite successful, much better then ESO on pc. However, devs later on stated, that there will be no more class stories and actual mmo content was still month away, so after first 3 month, huge chunk of players left. Only launch of ROTHC managed to bring some of them back. Revenue for 2013 is higher then ESO launch in 2014, so it was doing quite well.

SOR had lower numbers, which can very well be attributed to buggy launch, mediocre story, broken scaling, new utility system…Yet, still it was 100 mil+. Had they not went full retard with KOTFE/KOTET, they would have had higher revenue for sure.

But, it’s not what happened. Both “expansions” saw massive player exodus, so remainers hoped for Legion-like expansion, but we got joke of a DLC. It’s barely worth 1 month sub, if anything.

In the end, it’s not our fault, that swtor fares poorly, it’s EA and BWA who don’t want to invest anything into SWTOR again. And latest news on Anthem only proves that. Just think about it, they want to invest AGAIN into the game, that totally flopped. And not a small investment. They want to completely overhaul the game. May be it’s me, but it kinda shows their priorities.

Exactly. Personally I loved concept of KOTFE and KOTET story,but they didn't give a f*ck, when everyone told them we didn't want GC. Story started out great,but had trash ending. I really thought 4.0 was the highlight of this games span so far.

WE AS SUBBERS or whoever buys something from Cartel Market SAY WE SUPPORT THIS GAME .But I am not giving them money,so they work on their other projects,while yet again ignoring this game. And this is what it is happening.

It all became clear. With news coming out, that Anthem is getting "overhaul", it became crystal clear to me, that SWTOR is ONCE AGAIN being put on hold. JUST LOOK AT 6.0 !!!!! WHAT EXPANSION HAS LAUNCHED WITH SO LITTLE CONTENT !?!?!?!?

I get it...main thing is tacticals and gear. TOO LITTLE....WAAAY TOO LATE !!!

They gonna once again milk this on loyal fanbase, because it has STAR WARS ip.

And I don't know,what it has now...but Anthem is just gonna turn into f2p clone of SWTOR. And no that is not a good thing. Maybe it is for idiots...I don't care, I never played Anthem. I just want devs to focus on this fking game !!!

Unsub and send them message.

That's a load of crap. Anthem isn't in the way of SWTOR. It was before because they screwed up Anthem so badly they needed help from everyone but SWTOR wouldn't get more support even if Anthem didn't exist. Just take off your tin foil hat please.

SWTOR had all the chances to compete and surpass WOW, but it was wasted, in a similar manner, as in Anthem.

It never had a chance with EA. And even if it did, the window closed after 3 years when the alpha hero engine became dated.

Excuse me, but are we speaking of Onslaught dlc? Even Oricon dlc has more content, then this "expansion".

Dont remember correctly, but SOR launched with 2 fps, 2 raids and 4-5 hour story. That's not even half of what we got with onslaught.

Besides, if what you say is true, i will be the first on forums, creating thread praising the progress, but it's highly unlikely. If it was planed out this way, we'd get roadmap, rather then promises of "something" around February.

Let's see...

There were 2 flashpoints for SoR. Onslaught has one.

There were 2 raids in ToS, but only SM -- and followed later by HM. Onslaught launched with Dxun SM and HM, and NiM is in the works.

Story 4-5 hours for SoR? It takes maybe 45 mins to run through it. I think you need to take off your rose-tinted glasses. SoR story was linear with only very slight variation between factions (plus a teeny tiny class mission), whereas Onslaught has a lot variance depending on your choices from KOTET, Iokath, Ossus vs faction vs saboteur.

So, like I said.... "almost" the size of SoR. I think my statement holds true.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Just to be clear, whenever a game like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Anthem, or anything else Bioware does has multiplayer features, Bioware Austin is always involved, or more specifically they are pulled away from SWTOR to help out. It's been that way for years now (unfortunately) because Bioware Austin are seen as "the multiplayer guys" as a result of them being the studio responsible for a multiplayer focused game.

How many times have we heard "this game doesn't have enough manpower,bla bla bla" . It does have it...it's just that is working on other stuff, because STAR WARS is keeping this thing running.

No, that isn't the case. SWTOR was developed with on a budget of somewhere between 100 to 300 million dollars, with a staff of over 200 people working on the game. Since SWTOR launched Bioware Austin has multiple rounds of layoffs & they don't have anywhere close to the amount of money they had to work with during development.

If what you're saying were true Bioware Austin could continue things on the same scope & scale as the vanilla game (Class Stories, etc) if they weren't working on other projects, but in the 8 years since SWTOR has launced we've had/seen time periods where Bioware Austin wasn't helping out with other projects & it was still clear then as it is now that they simply don't have the resources to put out content at either the frequency or scope/scale that people expect from the game.

Even if the entirety of Bioware Austin was focused on SWTOR they still wouldn't be able to put out on expansion like what WoW, ESO, or FF14 put out.

SWTOR was designed as if it would continue onward with significantly sized content updates & expansions. We also know that they originally planned to continue onwards with things like Class Stories, but after the game going F2P, & Bioware Austin having multiple rounds of layoffs those sort of things were no longer possible, so what we & they (Bioware Austin) were left with was a game that was super expensive to develop for that lacked the resources required to continue it the way both the devs & players expected it to continue.

Then you haven't read the latest article about EA in which the company speaks how satisfied and happy it is with how well SWTOR is doing revenue wise. They released that the game has already made over 1 billion dollars in revenue for EA. You're basing your point of view on conjecture, but the factual evidence is completely different.

Here's what I am talking about: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/huge-mmo-star-wars-the-old-republic-has-made-close/1100-6471011/

I'd love to see a graph mapping the profits from launch until now. Yes, it's cool that they made over 1 billion over the life of this game... I imagine that the growth rate is much much smaller now. So, unless you have a link that shows a spike in profits over the last two years, those numbers don't mean much to me.

Oh because Unsubbing is such a smart idea, because it won't send the completely the wrong message to Bioware's overlords at EA :rolleyes:.

i haven't read the entire thread but I'm going to respond only to this.

It's been made clear that the only thing that EA/Bioware listen to is the dollar. They were told over and over on PTS about the changes that were planned for 6.0; what was wrong from the consumer (yes, that's us) perspective and how the community would respond to them. Unsurprisingly, the play-testers were ignored, and we're very likely going to end up doing a repeat of what happened to 5.0; it's going to take a lot of people taking their gaming money elsewhere to get the point across.

You can also turn it around and say that by remaining subscribed that you approve of all the changes that have been made.

Anyone else feel they’ve already moved a bunch of people over to Anthem again??

Bioware have basically been AFK on bug fixes and problems since 6.0 launched.

Somethings that are priorities seem to be taking longer than a similar fix took on the pts. (Days-week is now Weeks-a Month)

Of course I may be wrong. But my impression is they all went on holidays for 4 weeks and left a skeleton crew or Bioware moved most of them over to Anthem again.

Makes me feel like the swtor expansion and all the “unnecessary” changes were a training ground for those people and an experiment/testing platform to see what they should do in Anthem. (I hope I’m wrong, but Musco being mostly silent for 4 weeks and Bioware ignoring player problems, bugs and bad design, has me looking for answers)

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I'd love to see a graph mapping the profits from launch until now. Yes, it's cool that they made over 1 billion over the life of this game... I imagine that the growth rate is much much smaller now. So, unless you have a link that shows a spike in profits over the last two years, those numbers don't mean much to me.

Blizzard made a billion dollars the year WoW launched. It’s taken swtor 8 years.

Now imagine how much WoW has made in 15 years, even with its decline in player numbers and popularity, it still makes more money in a week than swtor makes in a year.

That’s why we get expansions like this. Bioware don’t charge for them and EA only care about the income, not reinvesting enough to expand the player base (or even keep the current player base).

They just look at profit over income. As long as their profit % is in line, they are happy. The way they achieve this is to continually cut costs to the game.

We will see only see EA change their opinion the game keeps giving when the game drops below their profit percentages. At which time, EA will try and cut costs more or shutter the game.

Until then, it will be business as usual. We will get the bare minimum of development compared to what other AAA games do and player experiences will continue to decline and expectations will continue to be shattered till we have none, except, “look, the lights are still on, so the game isn’t shutting anytime soon”. ;)

At the moment, I couldn't re-sub even if I wanted to. The 60-day time from Amazon is gone for some reason, and my bank is taking forever to send me a new debit card, so... when this is up, that's it for me. Does anybody know why Amazon no longer has a 60-day time code?

You can buy pre-paid Master card, they work the same as those 60-day Time card. You just buy the 60Day directly from the website instead .

Oh, it's one of these threads. :rolleyes:

If you're referring to this article (the author is generally quite accurate);

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2019/11/15/sources-bioware-plans-a-complete-overhaul-for-anthem

Then you'll have pulled out this relevant part;

Right now, dozens if not hundreds of developers at both of BioWare’s offices – in Austin, Texas and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada – are quietly working on plans to overhaul the game.

OP is making the assumption that developers from only BioWare's Austin studios are working on rebuilding Anthem, that isn't what is being reported. Does it mean less developers for this game? Does anyone know the structure of the studio and which developers work on which titles? Probably not.

Anyway, if Anthem is going to be saved, BioWare need to learn to listen to the players. With all the changes they made since Anthem launched, they still haven't done that, look where it's lead to date. Failure.

Anyway, if Anthem is going to be saved, BioWare need to learn to listen to the players. With all the changes they made since Anthem launched, they still haven't done that, look where it's lead to date. Failure.

Not listening to players has been Bioware’s achilles heel or kryptonite since this game started. They transferred that same mentality into Anthem.

It makes you wonder how many more chances EA will give them if Anthem can’t be resurrected.

Swtor is a lost cause for anything more than small DLC and ruining your fun if you start to have any.

Bioware just up and change it if you have fun and players be damned. They will nearly always choose a path the player’s don’t want them to take.

EA don’t care if swtor keeps losing players as long as the profit % stays the same.

I like SWTOR, I come back to SWTOR every year for a certain amount of time. However, I am realistic about the game. It has been in maintenance mode for several years now. Just accept the game for what it is, and enjoy it. Honestly, the game was screwed before it launched when they picked the engine (framerates on Illum, no xserver etc).

Will we ever get large investment? No. Can you still enjoy what we have, sure. We got our 6 guys working on the game, support our six!

It all became clear. With news coming out, that Anthem is getting "overhaul", it became crystal clear to me, that SWTOR is ONCE AGAIN being put on hold. JUST LOOK AT 6.0 !!!!! WHAT EXPANSION HAS LAUNCHED WITH SO LITTLE CONTENT !?!?!?!?

I get it...main thing is tacticals and gear. TOO LITTLE....WAAAY TOO LATE !!!

They gonna once again milk this on loyal fanbase, because it has STAR WARS ip.

And I don't know,what it has now...but Anthem is just gonna turn into f2p clone of SWTOR. And no that is not a good thing. Maybe it is for idiots...I don't care, I never played Anthem. I just want devs to focus on this fking game !!!

Unsub and send them message.

If you want a bigger expansion with 10x more content, then Bioware would have to charge for it. Not only the subscription.

There weren't queue times for ALL servers. I never had problem getting in insta. There were some servers that were full,but that doesn't make up for ALL the servers they had. And population dropped and nothing happened. And it dropped and still nothing. Queue times for group conent got longer and nothing happened. And it droped again. And again. And I don't know..what was it..year 5 into game they were like...maybe we got too many servers.

Yeaaah I am making it up all about me. Ok...go stick your head in sand and pretend everything is great.

No, they can't because the game can't support a staff of that size. SWTOR isn't profitable enough to be able the pay for the salaries of 200 or 2000 employees.

That's not an excuse, that's just a fact about how businesses work. Maybe stop being ignorant & making things up to try & validate yourself & your assumptions.

But they did, & nothing can change that now.

They actually didn't have too many servers at launch. There were queue times for all servers when the game launched. That would mean they didn't have enough servers for the amount of people trying to play.

But they did & that can't be changed.

It's not only about you. You make the situation out like you're the only person who matters. Like you're the only person they should be catering to.

You know what, it actually is your problem because you're continuing to sub to game that you have problems with, that isn't satisfying, giving you the content you want, etc. That is your problem. You're being ridiculous.

Imagine this: You chose a better analogy that wasn't weird & creepy.

And when in 8 years has Bioware Austin shown that they are capable of delivering a "real" expansion?

It should be overwhelmingly obvious at this point what type of content Bioware Austin puts out, what they consider an expansion to be, etc.

You've been with the game since the start, but you're not able understand a number of things you should've figured out long ago about the game?

It's funny, how you didn't quote me on what I said about sub thing. All others things you did...why is that I wonder.

Again we WHO SUB OR BUY SOMETHING FROM CM are saying WE SUPPORT THIS GAME. I am not saying I support Anthem or Dice's SW Battlefront 2 or Respawns' Jedi Fallen Order. I am supporting SW THE OLD REPUBLIC and I expect devs to do the same.

Well, I've also got Anthem still installed on my PC, and Battlefront 2. So I guess I support those developers as well. I'd actually like to see BioWare make something of Anthem, it has got some fundamental basics of gameplay that are enjoyable, it's the rest of the guff "developers" like Ben Irving decided needed to be implemented where it went completely wrong. He did it to this game as well, and they haven't learned those lessons here yet either.

If all of BioWare learned that too much RNG is bad, I think they could improve things massively. Until then, they'll muddle through, be as it may. No-one is forcing you to support this game if you don't think your money is being well spent.

Edited by Transcendent

It's funny, how you didn't quote me on what I said about sub thing. All others things you did...why is that I wonder.

It's funny how you didn't acknowledge all the things you were wrong about, or try & defend any of it, and instead focused on a single thing that I didn't quote in order to try and deflect attention away from all those things. I wonder why that was? :rolleyes:

I remember when you had to wait in line to log into the game because the server was full. It made sense back then to kick people for being afk after 15 minutes, but now it's antiquated and unnecessary. Servers are never full, so I shouldn't be kicked for grabbing a snack or looking up something online for a minute.

I remember when you had to wait in line to log into the game because the server was full. It made sense back then to kick people for being afk after 15 minutes, but now it's antiquated and unnecessary. Servers are never full, so I shouldn't be kicked for grabbing a snack or looking up something online for a minute.

The afk kick is a pain in my proverbial butt because it doesn’t take into account if you are looking at stuff in the GTN, storage or crafting by only using your mouse,

It’s totally keyed to you moving or using the keyboard jump. So sometimes I forget and I’m halfway through playing space Barbies and a new outfit and it kicks me. Which is really infuriating as I have to start again :p

Edited by TrixxieTriss

The afk kick is a pain in my proverbial butt because it doesn’t take into account if you are looking at stuff in the GTN, storage or crafting by only using your mouse,

It’s totally keyed to you moving or using the keyboard jump. So sometimes I forget and I’m halfway through playing space Barbies and a new outfit and it kicks me. Which is really infuriating as I have to start again :p

Yes! The GTN and especially character creation.