Is game dead?

Allerien

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game is not dead. But it has "down-sized", so there's not as much activity in the forums, in general.

Dulfy is an individual case. I don't know what the deal is - maybe she got a real job, or married, or just got bored with it - but that can happen even if the game is very popular. There are other sites doing just fine.

Was coming back after time away, and I noticed almost no server forums activity, Dulfy no longer updates, etc. Is it worth returning?

It's true that Dulfy stopped updating long ago, for some reasons, but as said above, other sites are doing fine. Personally i enjoy checking Torfashion once in a while and getting inspiration for a new toon.

Besides, ppl have been prediting the death of the game since the very beginning. And yes i suppose it will eventually die. However, with an expansion incoming and considering that there is definitely still a lot of activity in the starter planets, capital planets and a bunch of other places, at least in Darth Malgus, i dont think the game will be shutting down any time sooner than 2-3 years, to say the least.

Honestly i really thought it would be dead by now, and i'm pleasantly surprised.

It's true that Dulfy stopped updating long ago, for some reasons, but as said above, other sites are doing fine. Personally i enjoy checking Torfashion once in a while and getting inspiration for a new toon.

I don't know Dulfy personally, but from other post it seems (She?) has taken time out due to work and/or personal issues, but is still interested in SWTOR, and hopes to make it back.

Was coming back after time away, and I noticed almost no server forums activity, Dulfy no longer updates, etc. Is it worth returning?

Most people only come to the forums to complain, and there's less to complain about as we wait with baited breath for 6.0. I imagine the forums will erupt then :D

Dulfy seems to be in retirement, but https://www.rambol.net/ has some of the best guides, imo. Vulkk's site is good for general updates and the game's pulse: https://vulkk.com/.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

My sarcasm machine may be busted but I'll just assume this was an attempt. :rak_01:

The game is pretty healthy atm, yes. Theres quite a few Ossus groups happening everyday (more on tuesdays reset). The queue timer for Warzones is faster than WoW's BG's for example. Dungeons have relatively low queue timers as well. But watch out cause the Raid finder works differently here and people tend to make their own pugs groups and only use the group finder to queue for the rewards or fill up a free spot. So, raid finder can take a while if you queue solo.

Actually if you could log in, you could see there are plenty of guild doing conquest weekly, wich is a sign of activity. Guilds in SWTOR have nice progression systems that make them worthwhile and involving.

The game is in fact in an upswing when compared to the sorry state it was after the release of the last expansion. Jedi under siege did inject it with some activity, but as the expansion looms activity will lower a bit as people wait for Onslaught.

The forum is filled with wonderfully cynical personalities like the one i just quoted, that are so salty from the years that they became immune to the idea of positivity. So, you'll have to excuse them.

Of course, we all wish we could have regular expansions the size of wich at least ESO gets. I am hopeful that if things go well with Onslaught that we can see increased support in the future.

Currently it's an exciting moment. We shall see how things go once Onslaught is out.

Edited by Nemmar

I *believe SWTOR is on an upswing myself. The members here now are waiting with Anticipation; there are always people in other forums that say they're watching what's going to happen with "Onslaught" and decide then maybe returning or not. These forums are a bit slow at times *But.. there don't *Seem to be any big fights going around and that's always a good thing in itself (I like to think they're too busy anticipating and thinking of the "Mysterious Observers" to argue much).

BioWare knows this is big so they're *Hopefully doing their best, the members know its important aswell.

I'll say this will be good, a positive for SWTOR the only issue I see is the "Size", considering recent capabilities. It's worth hanging around to see what happens nontheless :).

I agree with another poster. with the expansion coming out next month the game is on an upswing.

As far as the people claiming the game is dying or going to be shutdown. I think i can make a fairly accurate prediction. in 2013 EA received a ten year exclusive contract for star wars games. So barring that contract being renewed this game has until sometime in 2023.

I don't know Dulfy personally, but from other post it seems (She?) has taken time out due to work and/or personal issues, but is still interested in SWTOR, and hopes to make it back.

Yeah, if you're just using Dulfy as an indication of whether or not a game is dead, then ESO and GW2 are dead as well (and died on the same day as SWTOR, no less) :p

If it were dead you'd know about it. But the fact that an expac is on the way and there are still livesteams and blogs to come obviously means it is still alive. you have eyes? go look around some more first as stated by others, it should tell you what you need without asking this question here, regardless of your intent.

It's been dying since it was released. :p I mean that facetiously, but also kind of seriously, as there have been a lot of poor decisions and buggy releases over the years that have been widely unpopular and turned people off. The most recent of those major events being 5.0 and the introduction of Galactic Command.

6.0 is supposedly fixing many of the problems Galactic Command created, so it could be 6.0 will start to pull the game back in an upward direction. Depends on whether it's implemented without creating lots of other problems, which is always a possibility here.

So... is the game dead? No. But I think a number of people are in a kind of "wait and see" mode with the coming expansion. And it could make or break their continued interest in the game's future. It's been quite a wait for 6.0 to come, for some people, with not a lot to entertain them in-between.

"Is it worth returning" depends almost entirely on what you want out of the game. If you want a thriving community with a guarantee it's going to continue for years to come, hard to say whether that can/will be found here. None of us are seers and the trend doesn't look great. If you just want some people to play with and think you might enjoy the new expansion, then sure, it's probably worth returning.

After Keith took over as director the game starter going up again! There have been numerous changes to the game and we have started seeing new people from the Dev team on forums even. All these are good signs regarding the game health.

A new expansion is coming which should be similar to 3.0 so lets hope that will be the case.

The game is definitely not dead. But it sure will be pretty soon.

So, return and enjoy the very last months while it lasts.

It is doing what it can on a budget. They are releasing a new expansion in like a month and that has people interested once again so that’s the good. The bad is the game is a shadow of its former self. Updates and new content doesn’t come out at anything like a decent pace. The recent stories have not been all that solid from my POV, so dead no. Healthy....no. But still there, yeah for now. 6.0 will really have an impact on for how long. My thought is get ready for the expansion, try it out, and see if you like it.

The game is on life support, doctors are gathered around the hospital bed unsure what to do.

After discussing the situation, the doctors determine with nothing left to lose, they will attempt one more last ditch effort to pull the game back from the brink of the end of all... every doctor comes up with an idea, and the doctors decide every idea will be thrown at the game along with prayers and well wishes.

We won’t know the affects of these attempts to save the game, we can only hope and pray, like the good doctors charged with trying to make the game better.

It doesn’t look good, though. Keep your fingers crossed, and pray to the little grays the good doctors know what they are doing. I mean devs.

The game is on life support, doctors are gathered around the hospital bed unsure what to do.

After discussing the situation, the doctors determine with nothing left to lose, they will attempt one more last ditch effort to pull the game back from the brink of the end of all... every doctor comes up with an idea, and the doctors decide every idea will be thrown at the game along with prayers and well wishes.

We won’t know the affects of these attempts to save the game, we can only hope and pray, like the good doctors charged with trying to make the game better.

It doesn’t look good, though. Keep your fingers crossed, and pray to the little grays the good doctors know what they are doing. I mean devs.

How would you know, in another post you said you've been away for a while and were looking to see what was new :p

How would you know, in another post you said you've been away for a while and were looking to see what was new :p

I asked what is coming down the pipeline! Obviously nothing new has happened yet. I was hoping someone from PTS would answer the post. Oh well, when there’s only 25 active posters I shouldn’t expect a plethora of responses. :p

I asked what is coming down the pipeline! Obviously nothing new has happened yet. I was hoping someone from PTS would answer the post. Oh well, when there’s only 25 active posters I shouldn’t expect a plethora of responses. :p

There has been a few QOL, and little bits here and there, although, nothing much usually happens between story updates as such, last one being dantooine. 6.0 is the big thing coming down the pipeline. Was on the PTS, but all they had (at the time) was mostly just the new gear. No idea if they've put up any of the new planets, or places. :)

Also saw in another post Nautolan's are available for the BH at char creation on the PTS, haven't tried it myself, but could be worth a look

Edited by DarkTergon

I had quit playing a few years ago for one reason or another and recently came back, The game seemed dead back then but now I'm really surprised at the activity and the number of people playing. I've noticed 100+ players on a planet sometimes.