Missions are outpacing my Level - How can I fix this?

bigwayne

Hey there,

I'm currently halfway through level 37 on my first character (Assassin), and the missions have quickly outpaced my level. I've done every side quest save for Heroics and I just landed on Belsavis for my level 42 class quest that I can't even get to because the enemies between me and my destiny float between 42 and 46, outside my ability to hit them.

I'm specced defense and using Andronikos (just got Talos) which has made leveling easy when I'm seen - and that's the rub: I stealth through most things and hit my objectives so this is my question: Could I have missed SO MUCH combat XP that the level divide between me and my missions is that large? Do I just do Heroics and grind my way up to that level? If so, why would stealth mechanics be in the game if mission XP alone wasn't enough to level you with the quests?

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated. I tried searching for other threads but fell short (I don't really know what I'm searching for without being too generic as to include every leveling issue under the sun).

Thank you in advance :)

Hey there,

I'm currently halfway through level 37 on my first character (Assassin), and the missions have quickly outpaced my level. I've done every side quest save for Heroics and I just landed on Belsavis for my level 42 class quest that I can't even get to because the enemies between me and my destiny float between 42 and 46, outside my ability to hit them.

I'm specced defense and using Andronikos (just got Talos) which has made leveling easy when I'm seen - and that's the rub: I stealth through most things and hit my objectives so this is my question: Could I have missed SO MUCH combat XP that the level divide between me and my missions is that large? Do I just do Heroics and grind my way up to that level? If so, why would stealth mechanics be in the game if mission XP alone wasn't enough to level you with the quests?

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated. I tried searching for other threads but fell short (I don't really know what I'm searching for without being too generic as to include every leveling issue under the sun).

Thank you in advance :)

This happened to me once so I went back to the planet I was previously on and did part of the Bonus Series quests.

You've missed several quests on the last few planets if you're only 37. Best bet would be to go to a planet that offers a bonus area close to or at your level (not sure which for empire), otherwise head back to last planet and continue questing.

Have you skipped every heroic? I'm having a hard time figuring out how youve finished each planet's main quest line pre-bonus.

You've missed several quests on the last few planets if you're only 37. Best bet would be to go to a planet that offers a bonus area close to or at your level (not sure which for empire), otherwise head back to last planet and continue questing.

Have you skipped every heroic? I'm having a hard time figuring out how youve finished each planet's main quest line pre-bonus.

Yes, I skipped every Heroic (I generally play in the wee hours of the morning after work and nobody is online), and I've done all the Bonus Series quests for every planet (when this problem first arose, I went to every planet and every Mission Hub I'd gone through just to make sure). Also, I do my Space dailies because it's quick and worth a bar or so.

I gather it's because I'm lacking crucial combat XP (Bonus parts of quests, etc.) I guess I'm just surprised that Mission XP alone won't carry you.

A screenshot of my current Mission List. I take the Heroic quests and don't track them until I get off-planet

If you've done the bonus series', I'd suggest you keep doing space, try some flashpoints, and definitely pvp if there's a chance you might pvp at max level. Might as well bank some valor now, though apparently it's going to be meaningless. Make sure you pick up the dailies before pvp'ing or flashpointing. If you do run across someone while questing, do group up as grouping, unlike most mmo's, offers a bonus to both xp and quality of loot drops.

Honestly have no idea. If you've skipped every single bonus part of a quest, might explain (especially the staged ones) but I'm always overlevel doing most but not all of the heroics. But I don't don't donthe daily part and barely PvP. Neither do I go out of my way to murder every pack of enemies there are.

As a tank you can do many heroic 2 btw. Just get the ship droid to heal it struggling.

Did you somehow skip Hoth?

HAHA, No. This problem started on Taris and continued through Quesh. Wasn't too easy, but I wasn't worried till I was suddenly done with Quesh, on Hoth and knew Belsavis was next. I thought Quesh would be longer and even things out a bit!

Edited by bigwayne
Spelling; I M SMRT

My guess is you also skipped all the bonus series. Find a bonus series more appropriate for your level and go do that. I'm pretty sure there's always at least one you could do.

The only missions I've skipped are group missions (Heroics, Flashpoints, Operations, whatever they call them this week); I've been very thorough about doing the Bonus Series once I saw the pattern emerging.

If you've done the bonus series', I'd suggest you keep doing space, try some flashpoints, and definitely pvp if there's a chance you might pvp at max level. Might as well bank some valor now, though apparently it's going to be meaningless. Make sure you pick up the dailies before pvp'ing or flashpointing. If you do run across someone while questing, do group up as grouping, unlike most mmo's, offers a bonus to both xp and quality of loot drops.

Aye, it seems that's going to be the plan. I spent several hours last night on Taris soloing all the Heroic quests (time consuming but possible!) and I reckon I'll close the gap with Flashpoints and other repeatables.

Thanks for your help by the way - I guess I'll have to change specs once I'm squared up and level the old fashioned way. It was quick and fun while it lasted!

I don't really do many heroic missions, I pvp once a day and only sometimes have the pvp daily mission either. I do manage to do each flashpoint at least once while I'm in level for it (sometimes I'll run it a couple of times over the course of a few nights). One thing I do each time I enter a new quest area is intentionally murder a few mobs to see if any of them trigger a bonus "kill" mission. I also keep an eye out for lore objects and datacrons and such.

I say this because I am now level 38 and just now hitting Quesh. So I have no idea how you could be missing so much experience to already be heading towards Belsavis. All I can conclude is the little bit more than you I am doing is translating into a LOT of experience over time.

I don't really do many heroic missions, I pvp once a day and only sometimes have the pvp daily mission either. I do manage to do each flashpoint at least once while I'm in level for it (sometimes I'll run it a couple of times over the course of a few nights). One thing I do each time I enter a new quest area is intentionally murder a few mobs to see if any of them trigger a bonus "kill" mission. I also keep an eye out for lore objects and datacrons and such.

I say this because I am now level 38 and just now hitting Quesh. So I have no idea how you could be missing so much experience to already be heading towards Belsavis. All I can conclude is the little bit more than you I am doing is translating into a LOT of experience over time.

Like Katahn, I am just short of 40, and I just landed on Quesh. I do every bonus and side quest with no heroics. Including space missions for xp and credits.

My experience:

• Commando -- Has never set foot in a warzone. Hasn't seen a Flashpoint since Hammer Station. Hasn't done a space mission since level 28. Has otherwise done every quest except some of the Heroic 4's. Currently working though Quesh (rated level 36-37). Current level: 41.

• Vanguard -- Has never set foot in a warzone. Hasn't seen a Flashpoint since Esseles. Hasn't done a space mission since level 21. *Skipped* Taris, only did half of Alderaan and has now *skipped* Balmorra as well. Just finished Quesh and am about to head for Hoth (rated level 38-42). Current level: 38.

• Sage -- Has never set foot in a warzone. Hasn't seen a Flashpoint since Esseles. Hasn't done a space missions since level 21. Has done "everything" except a few Heroic 4's. Currently just starting Balmorra (rated level 32-36 Repub side). Current level: 38.

As you can see, I had to completely skip 2.5 planets on my Vanguard to keep myself "at level" for the content. The other 2 characters that have done "every mission" like you say you have done are 5 levels above the content.

TL;DR -- yes, all that stealthing has robbed you of a ton of XP.

Edited by MAgson

I PVP TOO much and am experiencing the exact opposite problem.

I think I had not even half of Tatooine explored before I left for Alderaan. I'm going to have to tone it down when I roll alts.

I have the same problem but I just try to solo Heroic 4s. You usually need to be about 4 levels higher than their level to have a realistic shot at it so it works out.