BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

Nah, they won't address anything.

Commandos/Mercenaries will continue to be the laughing stock of pvp, serving only to feed the inflated egos of bubble-sorcs, rage mara/jugs...and pretty much every other class(provided they have a brain).

It's a joke having top damage as commando almost every pug game and losing because the sents/sages on your team are garbage. Guess that's all this game is about...rolling sorcerer, marauder, or juggernaut then acting like it takes skill.

This game doesn't take skill. Just the right class.

Once I finish modding my merc out im rerolling a moron proof class/spec and going to aim to do a mill dmg, with high objective points......shouldnt be hard.

Edited by Bluntron

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it wrong to think we are the best players in this game right now (those that can keep up with losmashers and PT/VG in damage and objective in warzones?) I mean, I know I normally come in top 3 in 90% of my Warzones. I am just curious what would happen if we decided to not be gods in this terrible class. I think we would crap on people on such a height they would think it was god sh*tting all over them.

Here's the thing. I can almost guarantee that my commando on almost any given warzone, in mostly unaugmented battlemaster modded rakata will outdamage my almost now full war hero, fully augmented shadow.

But my shadow is the one who can really contribute to wins. My shadow can pressure off nodes, solo guard nodes and stall long enough for reinforcements to arrive, throw out decent protection, pull people into the fire, run the ball if needed (not preferred) and just in general do all the little things that turn the tide in a warzone. My shadow can be a difference maker. My commando can get high damage numbers in a warzone my team could have won being a man down.

Damage means a lot, but it isn't everything.

Personally, I think Commandos should be the next most survivable DPS class behind Guardians. Part of that can be done by rolling back the nerf to Charge Barrier so that it provieds 2% DR every stack. Next is that concussion charge needs to have a buff added to it that makes the Commando unchargable for a few seconds afterwards. Finally, either charged bolt and grav round need to become immune to interrupts, or Bioware needs to add a proc'd interrupt immunity.

Here's the thing. I can almost guarantee that my commando on almost any given warzone, in mostly unaugmented battlemaster modded rakata will outdamage my almost now full war hero, fully augmented shadow.

But my shadow is the one who can really contribute to wins. My shadow can pressure off nodes, solo guard nodes and stall long enough for reinforcements to arrive, throw out decent protection, pull people into the fire, run the ball if needed (not preferred) and just in general do all the little things that turn the tide in a warzone. My shadow can be a difference maker. My commando can get high damage numbers in a warzone my team could have won being a man down.

Damage means a lot, but it isn't everything.

Sorry I meant to include a high objective points too while still coming in top 3. Though we all should be able to pull out damage and still focus objectively.

Sorry I meant to include a high objective points too while still coming in top 3. Though we all should be able to pull out damage and still focus objectively.

High objectives can be kinda meh. Were you at the zerg on a node your team had captured (and pretty much the entire time on defense in Voidstar)? That's gonna be a lot of defender medals. Were you at the zerg when node was captured (in civil war) that's attacker points.

Quite often in Huttball the losing team will have more objective points because you get defender points everytime you kill the ball carrier, so if they spent the majority of the time controlling the ball you'll have a lot of defender medals.

The scoreboard doesn't always tell the full story (and even a lot of the story it DOES tell is in the stuff you have to mouseover to see).

High objectives can be kinda meh. Were you at the zerg on a node your team had captured (and pretty much the entire time on defense in Voidstar)? That's gonna be a lot of defender medals. Were you at the zerg when node was captured (in civil war) that's attacker points.

Quite often in Huttball the losing team will have more objective points because you get defender points everytime you kill the ball carrier, so if they spent the majority of the time controlling the ball you'll have a lot of defender medals.

The scoreboard doesn't always tell the full story (and even a lot of the story it DOES tell is in the stuff you have to mouseover to see).

this is true, but i sense you may be misunderstanding my point of my message. Or it could just be me misreading things

this is true, but i sense you may be misunderstanding my point of my message. Or it could just be me misreading things

Your message was that we must be super good PVPers if we're sticking with it. Your justification for this was decent scoreboard numbers.

My point was that it doesn't really tell the story you wish it did. Gear up another class and go prove how good you are.

Commandos and mercs that stick with it gain a lot of knowledge of how to exploit the environment and stick to the edge of a big furball. Not quite the same as exploiting tools actually given to a class. You gotta actually learn to use all that utility you can get on other classes. Slightly different toolset.

That being said, level up a sniper and yeah I think you'd kill it pretty hard.

Commando/mercs need a complete overhaul the reason gunnery won't get buffed imo is because it does really well in PVE and is almost as brainless as smashheads. Commando's/Merc need some kinda of group utility or speed boost.:( Only group utility I can think of that we have atm is kolto bomb/missle with supercharge up that gives a 5% damage reduction to any friendly target hit(heal speced). The Biggest issue for me is that we HAVE NO HYBRIDS:mad: and if anyone says we do they suck bigtime.:(.

Things i thnk should be changed for Commando/Merc for the base class.

Root on stockstrike/rocketpunch should be basline and bring back the kb for gunnery 10m.

Change back the crit bonus in the medic tree from 1%,2%,3% to 2%,4%,6%(this nerf made no sense):mad:

Swicth Heavy trooper talent that gives 2% endurance and self healing with Cell Capcitor which recharges 2 ammo immediately.

Reduce the cooldown on techoveride from 2min to 1 min. Reduce the cooldown on reservepowercell from 2 min to 1min and 30 secs.

Make Diversion(threat drop) remove roots when used.

Explosive round reduce movement speed by 30%

Let us change cells while moving

Assault/Pyro- needs the full auto/unload damage back and make it so full auto,charged bolts and pulse cannon have a 100% chance to apply the plasma cells dot. Combine that degauss( reactive shield removes roots) talent with nightscope (increases meele and ranged def by 2% and reduces the cd on stealth scan by 5sec?).Lasty add an extra move to the talent Adrenalined Fueled That reduces the cooldown on plasma grenade by 5,10sec max.

Combat Medic/Bodyguard- remove that stupid frontline crappy talent that makes trauma probe tick twice when u attack an enemy with hammershot and replace it with somthing that improves our knockback. Somthing like knocking the target down for 1sec-2secs after being knockedback so we get a bit of breathing room. Make trauma probe cost 1 ammo or let us put the thing on one more target.Medics and Bodyguards need some minor protection vs force dots add a 3% or 4% buff to the Advanced tech talent ( increases healing received by 1%,2%) that reduces damage taken by internal and elemental damage, this talent would be avaliable to all specs.

Gunnery/Arsenal they really just need a way to cast grav round on the move and somone already suggested somthing about this. Also Charge Barrel when used on adv med probe shouldnt consume the stacks, it should only consume the stacks when used on High Impact bolt. Unerf Charged Barrier so that it can reduces damage taken by 10% with 5 stacks.Add an extra affect to Reserve Rounds that lowers the cast time of Concussive round by 0.50. Make Kolto recharge give back 14% health and reduce damage taken by 5% or 10% for 10 secs.

Yes I was bored. Yes I am mad:mad:. I love my Commando but its a headache to play one:mad:.

Commando/mercs need a complete overhaul the reason gunnery won't get buffed imo is because it does really well in PVE and is almost as brainless as smashheads. Commando's/Merc need some kinda of group utility or speed boost.:( Only group utility I can think of that we have atm is kolto bomb/missle with supercharge up that gives a 5% damage reduction to any friendly target hit(heal speced). The Biggest issue for me is that we HAVE NO HYBRIDS:mad: and if anyone says we do they suck bigtime.:(.

Things i thnk should be changed for Commando/Merc for the base class.

Root on stockstrike/rocketpunch should be basline and bring back the kb for gunnery 10m.

Change back the crit bonus in the medic tree from 1%,2%,3% to 2%,4%,6%(this nerf made no sense):mad:

Swicth Heavy trooper talent that gives 2% endurance and self healing with Cell Capcitor which recharges 2 ammo immediately.

Reduce the cooldown on techoveride from 2min to 1 min. Reduce the cooldown on reservepowercell from 2 min to 1min and 30 secs.

Make Diversion(threat drop) remove roots when used.

Explosive round reduce movement speed by 30%

Let us change cells while moving

Assault/Pyro- needs the full auto/unload damage back and make it so full auto,charged bolts and pulse cannon have a 100% chance to apply the plasma cells dot. Combine that degauss( reactive shield removes roots) talent with nightscope (increases meele and ranged def by 2% and reduces the cd on stealth scan by 5sec?).Lasty add an extra move to the talent Adrenalined Fueled That reduces the cooldown on plasma grenade by 5,10sec max.

Combat Medic/Bodyguard- remove that stupid frontline crappy talent that makes trauma probe tick twice when u attack an enemy with hammershot and replace it with somthing that improves our knockback. Somthing like knocking the target down for 1sec-2secs after being knockedback so we get a bit of breathing room. Make trauma probe cost 1 ammo or let us put the thing on one more target.Medics and Bodyguards need some minor protection vs force dots add a 3% or 4% buff to the Advanced tech talent ( increases healing received by 1%,2%) that reduces damage taken by internal and elemental damage, this talent would be avaliable to all specs.

Gunnery/Arsenal they really just need a way to cast grav round on the move and somone already suggested somthing about this. Also Charge Barrel when used on adv med probe shouldnt consume the stacks, it should only consume the stacks when used on High Impact bolt. Unerf Charged Barrier so that it can reduces damage taken by 10% with 5 stacks.Add an extra affect to Reserve Rounds that lowers the cast time of Concussive round by 0.50. Make Kolto recharge give back 14% health and reduce damage taken by 5% or 10% for 10 secs.

Yes I was bored. Yes I am mad:mad:. I love my Commando but its a headache to play one:mad:.

Dunno that I agree with all these changes, and I don't feel like getting into it right now. Just wanted to say that I agree they won't buff our damage because of PVE (though depending on who you talk to we're only middle of the raod there. I seem to do ok enough though in operations). Everything we need is utility based and all of it for gunnery needs to be finding ways to get grav rounds out without being interrupted. It's either that or completely redesign the spec to not depend on the ability for everything.

Everytime I look at what my commando has and compare it to what my sniper, my sentinel, or my shadow has, I get sad.

Yeah i just canceled my sub and told them in the exit survey that i was leaving because of commandos class imbalance and i may be back if they increase our survivability. I doubt they even read that crap though but i guess i did what i could. Of course i did play other classes but commando was my favorite.

These threads are so old and numerous, I can't possibly keep up with all of them. So in doing my part, I will leave some random thoughts and also bump this post.

---

I have been a strong supporter of trying to get Instant Cast Power Shots. But I've been having second thoughts due to the possibility of one build. A build with Kolto Missile and Instant Power Shots would be the ultimate kiter. They wont have the best DPS, but perma snare with a decent attack such as power shot could lead to kiting that's too easy.

Maybe they would have to remove the Snare from Kolto Missile, and add the snare back when the toon is using Combat Support Cylinder. (so the snare would be healer specific.) Or something along those lines

Edited by DarthBloodloss

So I found a new pleasure in pyro merc, all I do is run around and use incendiary missle and rapid shots (besides defensive cds).....I have to say its been fun and relaxing.....and ironicly I have been winning more since. But that could just be the rng. So if you every have one of those days where youre stressing because youre pumping out the deeps, half of the team is always focusing you, and you are still losing the warzone...Just rapid shot and incendiary missle, much more bearable.

So I found a new pleasure in pyro merc, all I do is run around and use incendiary missle and rapid shots (besides defensive cds).....I have to say its been fun and relaxing.....and ironicly I have been winning more since. But that could just be the rng. So if you every have one of those days where youre stressing because youre pumping out the deeps, half of the team is always focusing you, and you are still losing the warzone...Just rapid shot and incendiary missle, much more bearable.

I forgot to add in missle blast. THIS IS JUST TOO FUNNY!

i am absolutely giddy right now because Im still doing just as well as everyone else in reg warzones using 3 buttons. Rapid Shots, Incendiary, and Missle Blast......I have what you call a **** eating grin on my face when i play like this. I have never had so much fun.

A lot of my friends try to run Commandoes in WZs .... one of them is lvling a Shadow because of how bad the class is.

Its true, long cast bars attract a lot of attention, I seek them out to target myself and use all of my interrupts to perfection to stomp casters.

I suggest another root for Commandoes would do a lot of good, for healers and dps as a defensive cooldown to lead to more strategy in fighting them. Snipers seem to have a good mix of roots/slows/CCs that make them a challenge to fight as a melee character.

alarcity = overheated

This, and the fact that as you stack a stat it takes diminishing returns.

Pretty much, Merc/Comm needs an overhaul. I rolled a Merc and started to PvP, and it's truly appalling. If anyone attacks me, forget winning the fight; I just don't do enough damage.

And this is pre-50 PvP; I shudder to think of Lv.50 PvP.

I was even advised on the Imperial Fleet to just PvE on my merc, and even then, focus on crafting.

So, I'm done criticising. Here is what BioWare can do:

1: Give escapability options to the Merc/Commando - every class but us has one; Marauder/Sentinel has the combat stealth, Scoundrel/Operative has Vanishing Act, Guardian/Jugg have their many Leaps, Vanguard/Powertech if tank spec have a Leap, non-tank have at least a sprint high up the tech tree. The most we have is a repel pulse, which honestly does not do much, and certainly don't have immediately, which would be nice to learn to use as soon as we can PvP.

2: If cast times are not reduced, improve the power of various heals and abilities; we need the ability to DPS on-par with other classes. If power is not improved, reduce the cast times by about 0.5s; heck, make some of our casted abilities instant, but with a short cooldown (e.g. 2-4sec). We don't have options to fight on the run like every other class, which makes us extremely vulnerable and limited. And this is pre-50 I'm talking about.

The Merc/Comm kit is just not suited for PvP; we are a broken class. Fix us.

Except Cash proved you wrong. Pretty conclusively. Using numbers which YOU ignored, and without even bringing up the big fact that Charged Bolts resets HiB while Hammershot doesn't. But hey maybe I didn't follow that argument well enough.

I suggest you brush up on your math as well as your reading skills. The numbers Cash used either assumed CGC never proc'ed or assumed that CGC proc'ed 100% of the time for both RapidShots and PowerShot. This is clearly flawed given the higher chance of CGC proc'ing with RapidShots. I did not *ignore* those numbers. Rather I presented the CORRECT numbers using the proper probability function for CGC proc'ing. And the result, which you know, but chose to *ignore* is that RapidShots does more damage than PowerShot.

Nor did I ignore the issue of RailShot procing. Instead I pointed out the limited window in which one could plausibly attempt to use PowerShot and the multitude of issues (interrupts, stuns, cc's, knockbacks, target movement, cc's on target, AoE on you) that degrade any chance of success. I will note that by using iterative techniques it is possible to determine the crossover probability for these events at which time it *is* efficient to use PowerShot, i.e. when the probability of being interrupted, stunned, cc'ed etc. is below that level PowerShot can be viable (again in the limited time window presented). I'll spare you the mathematics, although something tells me you will demand to see it down the road. But at any rate, that crossover percentage is right at 12%. In other words, IF you are at the right time window in your rotation sequence, AND the combined chance of being interrupted, stunned, cc'ed, pushed back, target moving behind LoS, target being cc'ed or having AoE placed on you is below 12% for that GCD, then there is a very marginal benefit to using PowerShot. That is the bare thread on which PowerShot useage hangs. And even then it is a horribly inefficient heat management strategy. Bottom line: PowerShot sucks.