Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

When they don't bring it out this year, I will remind you of this post and laugh at you. I hope you will delete your SWTOR account when they make you look like a fool for trusting them.

My point is you are jumping the gun on the issue. If January 1, 2013 rolls around and they still haven't put SGRs into effect, then and ONLY then will it be a lie. Now, I strongly recommend that you stop confusing BioWare with Blizzard. lol

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if it doesn't come, I don't believe Daniel Erickson was intentionally being untruthful when he said that. I believe he honestly believed that what he said would be true at that time, but because of the big shift over this Free to play thing, everything that was on their original time table got shifted around. I'm fairly certain this what happened. It sucks, but it wasn't him standing up and saying something he knew was false.

1.3 was originally leaked to have been HK-51 and Terror from Beyond, for instance, it's been pushed back to 1.4.

Edited by chuixupu

Bumpbump aside, I don't think anyone here is accusing Mr. Erickson of prevaricating. We don't know whether that ballpark figure we were given in March still pertains or not, howver. And there is a host of questions relevant to how same-gender content will be implemented that have never been addressed at all.

Sure, there are still four months for them to bring out same-gender romances if they still intend to do so this year. But it is no longer certain to many who are interested in this content that they still mean to bring it out at all, and some word on the topic is surely overdue regardless as to what has changed, or even if the info we have is all the info they can give us as long as it is still accurate.

But remember that we only got Mr. Erickson's reply after making an unmistakable showing in the weekly Community Q&As, week after week. And to be fair, we were also told not to expect more news until closer to when the content was ready to go live. So I am not expecting any kind of big info-dump. An update on the status of the content in light of recent changes at BioWare and in the direction of the game woul, however, be opportune.

And I don't think it's jumping the gun to ask.

This thread has been running continuously since January 17. Some statistics:

Total posts (not counting those deleted along the way): 6,024

Total views: 461,987

Total BioWare Staff Responses: 0

Anyone else see a problem with that?

Yes, I have a problem with it. Count me in on those wanting same-sex relationships. It would make the game a lot more appealing and me more likely to give my money to continue to play. That being said, I understand some players will be uncomfortable with gay relationships and flirting. As I'm sure it's been said, Bioware please feel free to make it an option in the Preferences to enable companion same-gender relationships and flirting with NPCs. I'd rather have it as an on/off option than not have it at all.

To ignore this issue when you're bleeding subs is foolishness. Fact is, there are a lot of people that want the option and it really won't take THAT much work to make a lot of people happy. Even if we only make up 5% of the player base it just makes financial sense. I know it's all about the $.

Players want reasons to feel connected to the game. I want to be able to at least somewhat identify with my toons.

Edited by RandyL

Yes, I have a problem with it. Count me in on those wanting same-sex relationships. It would make the game a lot more appealing and me more likely to give my money to continue to play. That being said, I understand some players will be uncomfortable with gay relationships and flirting. As I'm sure it's been said, Bioware please feel free to make it an option in the Preferences to enable companion same-gender relationships and flirting with NPCs. I'd rather have it as an on/off option than not have it at all.

To ignore this issue when you're bleeding subs is foolishness. Fact is, there are a lot of people that want the option and it really won't take THAT much work to make a lot of people happy. Even if we only make up 5% of the player base it just makes financial sense. I know it's all about the $.

Players want reasons to feel connected to the game. I want to be able to at least somewhat identify with my toons.

perfectly said....I am also a Fan of the Same Sex options in any of the BioWare Games...and I think that many people would be more attracted to the game if this option would come!!

so please give us the option soon!!

and I also want to add, that I want this romance option also for my already existing character. Even if she will turn lvl 50 soon..but you could make a new quest for this...

and I find it also odd that BioWare didn't comment so far on this existing topic...and I think that this topic is very important for the future of SWTOR!!

Edited by Morghainla
forgot something

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a whle, and I just want to throw in my support. It's pretty impressive how consistently active this thread is over longer periods, how many people have voiced their views. It's obvious this is more than a minor thing. Bioware really oughta take note soon.

Also, I'm jonesing to create my hottie lesbian Imp Agent . :cool:

Edited by MayaNite

How many individual posters? That's the key point. If you have, say, 100 posters, who consistently post, that's not the same as saying 6,024 people are supporting it. Also, let's say it -was- 6,024 posters, and we're assuming this game has, well, 300,000 subs. Well, that's 2% of the player base.

When we look at it like that - I hope you can understand that there are quite larger issues for Bioware to tackle. They have that whole F2P model thing coming out, a new warzone, a new op, most likely a new flashpoint, etc.

2%. And that's thinking that all posts are by separate individuals, and we know that's not true because we know, Uluain, that you have posted in these threads probably 200 times or more (which would be like 6%).

So on the macro level, it's not as serious as an issue overall as you're making it out to be. It matters to you. But what about the 2% that want the space expanded? What about the 2% that want Pazaak?

We know it's coming, you and your posse have made sure everyone knows that. And I hope for you guys it comes sooner rather than later. However, I'd recommend to just sit back and understand that there are a ton of splinter groups and pleasing all of them is a very difficult process.

And always be aware Bioware can change their mind. I am sure I don't need to remind you of Aerial PVP and the Dance Studio in WoW. Game developers seem to change their thoughts on a whim.

Anyway, best of luck to you guys, just trying to add some perspective.

When we look at it like that - I hope you can understand that there are quite larger issues for Bioware to tackle. They have that whole F2P model thing coming out, a new warzone, a new op, most likely a new flashpoint, etc.

You know, it's getting a bit old having to point out again and again that nobody ever said this was the biggest issue with SWTOR and that it should be fixed before anything else. That's a perception that's being applied externally, not something most people who want SGRAs actually support.

2%. And that's thinking that all posts are by separate individuals, and we know that's not true because we know, Uluain, that you have posted in these threads probably 200 times or more (which would be like 6%).

...And there are plenty of people who want the feature who have never logged onto the forums, let alone posted here. You're using numbers that don't matter and which can't be verified. Nobody ever said it was 10% or 50% or 103%.

So on the macro level, it's not as serious as an issue overall as you're making it out to be. It matters to you. But what about the 2% that want the space expanded? What about the 2% that want Pazaak?

See above. You are saying we're making it out to be The Biggest Deal, we aren't. But this is a thread about SGRAs so yes, SGRAs are actually going to be close to 100% of what we talk about. Strange, huh.

We know it's coming,

Correction: we assume it's coming because we've been told it has. I'm currently willing to continue assuming that, but I'm not going to fool myself that it's knowledge. It's not; it's an assumption, based on words supplied by Bioware and upheld (at this point) entirely by trust. Considering how long it's been since we heard anything substantial on this matter I'll leave it to individuals to decide whether that trust is warranted or not.

you and your posse have made sure everyone knows that.

'You and your posse'? Really? You make it sound like we've made some kind of pact to push this matter as much as we possibly can/ We're a group with a legitimate concern (several legitimate concerns) regarding a feature that's been announced and isn't in yet. Our requests for information are exactly as legitimate and reasonable as anyone else's requests for information about whatever feature they want to see. Not more, not less - yet people seem to feel entitled to come in here and tell us off for voicing concerns and making requests that aren't even unreasonable.

If nothing was said regarding, say, PvP for six months at a time they'd be howling for blood (and if they've gone that long without a response I can understand how they would be howling for blood). You don't need to make it sound so dodgy.

And I hope for you guys it comes sooner rather than later. However, I'd recommend to just sit back and understand that there are a ton of splinter groups and pleasing all of them is a very difficult process.

...Which we're aware of, and regularly remind each other of. Which you'd know if you read this thread regularly.

And always be aware Bioware can change their mind. I am sure I don't need to remind you of Aerial PVP and the Dance Studio in WoW. Game developers seem to change their thoughts on a whim.

All the more reason for us to stay both vocal and visible (insofar as that is possible, in one thread in Story and Lore).

We already have that perspective (or, rather, the majority of us do as far as I can tell). Your words aren't likely to make us shut up, which may or may not be your goal, but if your well-wishes are genuine then they're appreciated.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a whle, and I just want to throw in my support. It's pretty impressive how consistently active this thread is over longer periods, how many people have voiced their views. It's obvious this is more than a minor thing. Bioware really oughta take note soon.

Also, I'm jonesing to create my hottie lesbian Imp Agent . :cool:

I'll play my first female char ever if they do this yahoo! ;p

How many individual posters? That's the key point. If you have, say, 100 posters, who consistently post, that's not the same as saying 6,024 people are supporting it. Also, let's say it -was- 6,024 posters, and we're assuming this game has, well, 300,000 subs. Well, that's 2% of the player base.

We know it's coming, you and your posse have made sure everyone knows that. And I hope for you guys it comes sooner rather than later. However, I'd recommend to just sit back and understand that there are a ton of splinter groups and pleasing all of them is a very difficult process.

Sponsored Post

Does anyone else have trouble getting subscribed notifications to this thread? I haven't gotten notifications for days when I know for a fact there have been almost ten pages added to this thread since my last notice. And no, I don't have it set for weekly notices or daily notices.

Also I've had to resubscribe to this thread multiple times (its like the forum "forgets" I'm subbed). I have never had this happen to any other thread I've subbed to on this forum. :confused:

Does anyone else have trouble getting subscribed notifications to this thread? I haven't gotten notifications for days when I know for a fact there have been almost ten pages added to this thread since my last notice. And no, I don't have it set for weekly notices or daily notices.

Also I've had to resubscribe to this thread multiple times (its like the forum "forgets" I'm subbed). I have never had this happen to any other thread I've subbed to on this forum. :confused:

Do you actually log into the forums and check the thread every time you get a new notification? Because it only will send one then doesn't send another until you actually read the thread.

Haven't had it forget I'm subscribed other than when the thread gets recreated though so I can't help you there. :\

You get a gold star on your math homework, but I am keeping you after class to work on reading comprehension.

The statistics I cite aren't about how important this subject is overall, or what a big deal it should be. I'm pointing out that this thread has been running since January, that it is the only thread this subject is permitted and yet when we have had a Community Team response (and we have gotten them, by private message to individual posters, from time to time) those replies have never happened here, where we are permitted to voice our concerns.

This thread isn't some secret base they don't know how to find. If we do them the courtesy of posting here, then I think its only fair to expect the same consideration in return.

I hope you can understand that there are quite larger issues for Bioware to tackle. They have that whole F2P model thing coming out, a new warzone, a new op, most likely a new flashpoint, etc.

Why yes. I do know about those. Because the Developers have told us about them.

And yet, I could go onto General Discussion right now and start a thread asking about any or all of those and I'd give it very good odds of staying open. It might not get a reply, but it doesn't need one. They talk about these things frequently. By "frequently" in this case I mean more often than once each six months or so.

We know it's coming [snip]... And always be aware Bioware can change their mind. ...[snip]... Game developers seem to change their thoughts on a whim.

Why yes. That thought had occurred to me, too. Which is why we are asking for clarification on the status of the content. Because we have been led to expect it, and to expect it this year... but things have changed at BioWare and for the direction of the game, and thus there is some uncertainty as to whether BioWare means to honor its commitments.

Try gaining some. But thanks for the bump.

Edited by Uluain

Do you actually log into the forums and check the thread every time you get a new notification? Because it only will send one then doesn't send another until you actually read the thread.

Haven't had it forget I'm subscribed other than when the thread gets recreated though so I can't help you there. :\

Yeah, I pretty much do every time I'm not playing something. I leave my mail open while I'm just mucking about. If I'm just surfing anyway might as well check when I get a new notice.

Not really that many other topics interest me currently, so if I get a notice its almost always this thread (and the previous threads).

Most threads I subscribe to run their course and fall off the front page (or are shifted to the Suggestion Forum AKA Where Threads Go To Die) so posts dry up pretty fast. But there's always someone posting on this thread.

It just struck me as odd since I keep having to resub every week or so that now I'm not getting notices properly either.

I've been following this thread for a while, and I just wanted to voice my support. I just recently resubscribed to SWTOR after suspending my account (my decision to leave in the first place was based on lack of SGRs, as well as finances at the time). I actually really enjoy the game, but the lack of SGRs was a bit of a let-down, since they were announced pretty much a year ago, and we haven't heard much about what's going with them at all. It's not really the lack of them that bothers me, but the lack of information, especially with all the reassignment of priorities and whatnot. If the end of the year comes and goes without an update (either content OR a new timescale in its place), I'll probably unsubscribe again.

A major reason I bought the game in the first place was that it was by Bioware and I expected it to have SGRs if it had Opposite-Gender Romances, due to their history. This disappointment turned me off and even made me regret spending so much money on the game. I can't say how many people felt the same, but I at least hope that it wasn't insignificant.

This is my first time posting here, and I did it partly because all this counting of posts and original posters in this thread. A lot of people don't go on the forums (or do so rarely), and a lot are just lurkers (like me, most of the time). Just because some people don't post doesn't mean they don't care about a topic.

That's just my two cents. Thank you guys for keeping this thread going and keeping it civil (you too, mods)!

In my opinion it would be fair to not get angry until March 2013 if SGRA's aren't added because of all of the layoffs. The layoffs are definitely something that we should take into consideration before judging. Boy I wish they would hurry up and get SGRA's in the game though :p

Just dropping in to show my support. I resubscribed a month ago, after canceling my subscription to play Mass Effect 3 back in February. (The way that game ended didn't exactly encourage me to resubscribe.)

So I resumed playing my female Bounty Hunter, and did the romance story with Torian... which was nice, but I just didn't feel as close to him as I did Mako. Oh well.

I'd really hoped that, by this point in time, there'd be same-sex romance options in the game, but since there aren't I decided to go against my protagonist preference and create a male Smuggler... although not until I'd earned the 1.5 million credits needed to unlock Chiss for the class, since I really couldn't stand playing as any other species for a male Smuggler, for whatever reason.

Now I'm just hoping that by the time I'm done with my Smuggler and want to roll another new character, the same-sex romance content will have been added to the game. I'd love for the game to go all DA2 in that department, where there'll be no availability disappointments for anyone, but at the very least I think the two "primary" companions for each class should be bi, with additional Act 4 characters as new options. But that's me.

I really hope we'll get some news on new story content for the game soon.... (And if we haven't at least received a date by the time this game time card runs out, I'll have serious doubts about renewing until they actually do release some new information,)

Edited by JediMB

Not all people who play the game read the forums. Not all people who read the forums post on the forums. Drawing a conclusion as to percentages based on that is... well, stupid.

I think I'm like the majority thinking on this - I read this thread, and keep up on the issue and don't post about it really. I'm anxious for the game to represent people equally. I mean, they enable inter-species sexual relations - how is that less of an issue than homosexual relationships?

I don't have any data to back this up, but something I wonder about is how many people play(ed) SWTOR because it was made by Bioware, a company known for making games with SGRs? I know I did, especially since it was announced to be a post-launch feature (though I didn't realize it would take so long if it did). That wasn't the whole reason I did, but it was a major component. My point is this: wouldn't the percentage of subscribers who care about SGRs be higher than normal?

I don't have any data to back this up, but something I wonder about is how many people play(ed) SWTOR because it was made by Bioware, a company known for making games with SGRs? I know I did, especially since it was announced to be a post-launch feature (though I didn't realize it would take so long if it did). That wasn't the whole reason I did, but it was a major component. My point is this: wouldn't the percentage of subscribers who care about SGRs be higher than normal?

We don't know. We can suppose, and BioWare has extrapolated from player choices in DA:O, but until this content is in-game, BioWare has no metrics from SWTOR to work from except what percentage of players explore existing romantic content. However, such extrapolation is subject to interpretive bias if it is assumed that all those not exploring existing content are uninterested in romance in general. Some -- I only speak for myself, but I doubt I am the only one -- are solely interested in the same-gender romances.

BioWare has indicated, however, that they do know this is important to some players. In his commentary following the announcement last September which has become the boilerplate position statement on same-gender romances, then Community Manager Stephen Reid said:

First of all, this is definitely not an audience that consists of a 'couple of people' and we're aware of that. We take this decision very seriously.

In a little over a week, however, that comment will be a year old, and we have had only one comment from BioWare since. That was last March, before major changes at BioWare Austin and before changes in direction for SWTOR overall. We don't know what to expect at this point, and if BioWare does in fact value a diverse player community and take this content seriously, we need to see some kind of indication of that.

No one is asking for daily updates. No one is asking for immediate implementation. No one even says this ought to be a higher priority than bug fixes, optimization or group content. However, segregating the discussion and then neglecting ever to respond to it is, in a word, disappointing.