Race classes cut for release date? Twi'lek Jedi, Sith Inquisitor but no Sith Warrior?

SelinaK

OK I've been flickin through the Twi'lek stuff on http://starwars.wikia.com for writing and roleplaying ideas and I found an interesting article about another Twi'lek warrior ( though I think the idea of "Twi'leks can't fight only shoot/cast spells" SHOULD be pretty much laid to bed with my first post with all those other official stuff of twi'lek warriors :p it seems a bit to me as I said in the first post that Bioware went "oh they are pretty therefore they can't fight" a bit sexistly... ), seems pretty cool I've never seen any of it I don't think it's been shown in the UK at least on normal channels, shame it sounds interesting :( I guess I have another thing to google lol, this is from an old version of the starwars.com website buried away in The Internet Archive:

web.archive.org/web/20100830150436/starwars.com/theclonewars/news20100101.html

In tonight's episode of The Clone Wars, "Deserter," we are introduced to Suu, a pink Twi'lek who lives in hiding with her husband Cut, a clone we learn is AWOL from the Republic. While our exposure to Suu is limited, we get the feeling that there's an untold, larger story behind the Twi'lek, quite an achievement for a character with so few lines.

Cara Pifko, the talented voice behind Suu, discusses how she brought the exotic Twi'lek to life:

Were you provided with concept artwork of the character you were scripted to play in "Deserter"?

They often have some photo, and in this case they did, which was lovely. I just find that it helps me so much -- a picture really does say a thousand words. You're suddenly able to imagine what voice will come out of that face and that body and it really helps with character creation.

What did you think of the character Suu?

I found it interesting that she was somebody who clearly has an interesting background -- she's earthy but military-trained, you know, ready to fight and ready to defend her man, and has that tough farmer kind of heart behind her. As someone not totally familiar with Star Wars lore, that's how I translated it -- there was definitely a story there that tells how they got to this point, to be living where they're living and raising a family. Clearly choices were made that are different than what would have been expected for them.

Was Suu's French accent something you chose for the character or was that something guided by the director?

I'm Canadian, originally, and I was drawing from my time in Montreal at theater school. I actually pulled out my best French-Canadian accent, which seemed to work well for [suu]. Theater school was bilingual, and I was immersed not only in the French language but in the accent. They always wanted to practice English and I wanted to practice French, so there was a whole lot of listening to language. I guess I kind of locked that away and pulled it out for her.

There was more from the same series apparently a whole set of stuff set on the Twi'leks' home planet Ryloth, they actually officially called it The Ryloth Trilogy... Cool. :jawa_biggrin:

• "Storm Over Ryloth" web.archive.org/web/20100420031018/starwars.com/theclonewars/guide/episode019.html

Video: The Ryloth Trilogy Trailer Revealed at New York Comic Con, a trailer for the collected Ryloth story-arc from episodes 19-21.

[..]

Newsreel:

Planet Ryloth invaded! Subjected to a brutal droid occupation, the people of Ryloth are starving under the blockade of a Separatist fleet.

[..]

The Lucky Lekku and Spaceward Ho Republic attack gunships are seen in the Resolute hangar bay. Fitting, in that they both prominently feature Twi'leks painted on them.

•• A Battle Over Ryloth Begins A behind-the-scenes preview article with quotes from the director and writer. "writer George Krstic [..]"This is a very epic episode -- it;s grand and operatic ala the old days of the original Star Wars,""

"Innocents of Ryloth" web.archive.org/web/20100414053449/starwars.com/theclonewars/guide/episode020.html

Memorable Quotes

- "We need to know what the droids have in store for us. Send your best men to scout ahead."

- "Will do, sir. Boil, Waxer, come with me."

- "I guess we're the best." -- Obi-Wan Kenobi, Clone Commander Cody and Waxer

"Ow! The little tail-head bit me!" - Boil

"Aw, you made a friend. Mission accomplished. Can we go now?" - Boil to Waxer about Numa

"Good. You caught her. You know, I have binders if we need them. (Waxer gives a dirty look) ... What?" - Boil to Waxer about Numa

•• Innocents Caught in the Crossfire A behind-the-scenes preview article with quotes from writer Henry Gilroy.

they encounter heavy resistance from the droid army -- but they also come face to face with the humanity of those that they are sent to protect. Seeing the "human" side of the occupation helps to give the clones a new perspective on the war.

"We really wanted to tell a story about troops going into a foreign land, maybe being a little insensitive to the people, but growing fond of them and coming to love them and wanting to rescue them from their plight," says Henry Gilroy, co-writer of the episode. "We saw it as an opportunity to reflect those great World War II stories of the American GIs moving through Europe and encountering the people of those areas, particularly orphans."

Image: Obi-Wan Kenobi comforts a Twi'lek orphan in "Innocents of Ryloth," an all-new episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars premiering at 9 p.m. ET/PT Friday, March 6th, on Cartoon Network.

For Gilroy and director Dave Filoni, inspiration for this particular story came from The Guns of Navarone, a classic war film in which a commando team must infiltrate impregnable enemy territory to destroy a gun emplacement. The narrative device proved to be an effective method for getting the Republic behind enemy lines -- and into the occupied homeland of a downtrodden native race.

"The idea is that this cannon is preventing our heroes from arriving to help, to liberate the planet, and basically it's going to come down to one Jedi -- Obi-Wan -- to save the day," Gilroy explains. "Plus, we're able to really emphasize just how evil the villains are as they use the inhabitants of the town as human shields."

"Liberty on Ryloth" web.archive.org/web/20100329234500/starwars.com/theclonewars/guide/episode021.html

Dooku has no faith in the emir's skills against General Windu. He orders Tambor to not be too greedy and evacuate with whatever valuables he can. He will instead order the sundering of Ryloth, to have the Twi'lek homeworld serve as an example just what the horrible cost of a "Republic victory" can truly be.

[..]

The Republic was unable to spare any aid for Ryloth, and Syndulla's people surrendered to the Separatists, but where nonetheless rounded up for extermination by droid forces.

As this somber conversation takes place, Trooper Stak examines an animal paddock containing a feisty blurrg. Syndulla's second-in-command, Tae Boon, asserts that the riding animal is faster than an AT-RT, though Stak has his doubts.

Whatever misgivings Syndulla may have about the Republic, they are secondary to him carrying out Twi'lek tradition -- he offers what little food and hospitality he can to his guests.

The Republic armored column continues its trek to Lessu. It passes a quaint Twi'lek village carved into the hillside. Republic scouts report to Commander Ponds that there are no enemy droids in the village -- it is mostly inhabited by Twi'lek women and children. Ponds orders his men to see if they can spare rations to the hungry village. Just then, a threat sensor sounds. A squadron of hyena bombers flatten the village with a sudden bomb strike. Ponds stares wordlessly at the flaming ruins of the village before contacting General Windu.

[..]An earlier version of the story had Mace rescuing captive Twi'leks from a prison suspended over the caldera of a volcano, however the production paintings of such an apocalyptic setting ended up looking too similar to Mustafar.

[..]Among the treasures being hoarded by Wat Tambor is the Ark of the Covenant, slightly modified to have Twi'lek cherubim atop the box.

[..]Memorable quotes

"Another armed occupation is not a free Ryloth. How long before I am fighting you, Master Jedi?" - Cham Syndulla to Mace Windu.

[..]Video Commentary A look at Cham Syndulla and the Twi'lek resistance.

The Clone Wars: The Ballad of Cham Syndulla An exclusive web comic that tells the tale of the reluctant Twi'lek legend.

:( seems a bit like things never get better for them, do they? :( with that stuff about the resistance leader offering food to the republic even though they barely have anything themselves, and the whole thing really, it makes them sound like a very noble race that's struggled through hell for centuries rather than how TOR, at least on the character creator, portrays them as very 2 "they are slaves" and little more :p

•• Mace Windu Concludes Ryloth Trilogy A behind-the-scenes article, with quotes from the writer and director.

Mace must convince the beleaguered people of Ryloth to rise up and join him in repelling the droid army. But the Twi'lek freedom fighters are wary of intervention from outside of their race, and are hesitant to trust the Jedi's efforts. With the liberation of the planet at stake, time is of the essence and Mace must rally the natives for their final stand against the Separatist invaders.

With a story developed alongside creator George Lucas and supervising director Dave Filoni, the episode reflects some of the untold stories that necessarily unfold when the canvas is as expansive as a galactic war. Director Rob Coleman and writer Henry Gilroy were intrigued with the prospect of exploring the viewpoint of the conflict's non-military combatants

( seems like that webcomic web.archive.org/web/*/starwars.com/clonewars/comic/main.swf is gone forever since they used Flash for it and not proper webpages The Internet Archive wasn't able to save the actual comic only the "main.swf" reader thing which doesn't work if the other files aren't there :( I tried hacking into it with a Flash decompiler program but I can't find any links to the picture files anywhere :( )

Tooka Doll Craft Make your own adorable tooka doll, like the kind Numa carries., By Bonnie Burton

Image: clone trooper Waxer finds Numa's tooka doll and returns it to the grateful girl

During The Clone Wars episode "Innocents of Ryloth" a five-year-old Twi'lek girl called Numa helps the clone troopers as they try to help her people who are being held captive by droids under Separatist leader Wat Tambor's orders. In the episode, clone trooper Waxer finds Numa's tooka doll and returns it to the grateful girl.

Learn how to make your own tooka doll just like Numa's with this easy craft!

What You Need:

• Light purple and beige colored felt squares

• Pillow stuffing

• Tan, black and purple colored thread

• Sewing needle

• Scissors

• Straight pins

• Chopsticks

• Buttons (for eyes)

Doll Pattern [ mirrored at scribd.com/doc/77752974/Took-a-Doll-Pattern ]

Here's a photo for reference to look at as you're making the doll:

Image: tooka doll reference

Instructions:

Image: tokka doll step 1

1. Print and cut out this doll pattern [mirrored at scribd.com/doc/77752974/Took-a-Doll-Pattern], or make your own by looking at the reference image of Numa's doll from above. Secure the pattern to two pieces of purple felt with straight pins. Then cut the felt.

Image: tooka doll step 2

2. Hand sew the two pieces of purple felt together but keep a hole open so you can turn the sewn piece inside out and then fill with pillow stuffing. Use a chopstick to push the stuffing in hard to reach places like the arms, legs and head area. Then sew closed.

Image: tooka doll step 3

3. Cut out long triangles and sew together to make a cone. Add stuffing to the ends of the cones to fill them out. Then fit them over the head piece and sew down. Do the same to cover the hands and feet of the doll.

Image: tooka doll step 4

4. Cut out long strips of purple felt and sew them onto the head cones just like Numa's doll has in the episode.

Image: tooka doll step 5

5. Don't forget to sew on the button eyes so it can see you smile when you finish!

Image: tooka doll final

6. Now that you're done with the tooka doll, don't lose it; unless of course you need the help of a friendly clone trooper.

See all the projects on the Star Wars Crafts Archive

Time to Bake Wookiee Cookies, December 8, 2008

Yoda's Incredible Herb Stew, November 27, 2008 "originally prepared exclusively for National Public Radio by noted gourmet chef and author, Craig Claiborne. This recipe goes waaay back to 1983, when NPR debuted a new 10-part radio drama based on The Empire Strikes Back."

Cuddly Bantha Craft by Bonnie Burton, November 24, 2008 "Every Tusken Raider needs a trusty bantha to ride around Tatooine. These elephant-sized creatures with long ram-like horns first showed up in A New Hope. It's easy to make your own cuddly bantha with some felt, stuffing, thread and a lot of love."

First Look: Star Wars Craft Book, March 30, 2010 "Do you see the puppet-potential in old socks? Wondering what to do with all your tattered Star Wars T-shirts? Get out your Force-sensitive scissors for the Star Wars Craft Book by Bonnie Burton, coming out later this year from Del Rey. What began in 2004 as a regular crafts feature on StarWars.com is now a book. While fans might recognize some crafts from StarWars.com, the book is also jam-packed full of brand new projects that cater to both beginners and advanced Jawa-level crafters. The book features fully-detailed, step-by-step instructions and photos for each craft."

www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Craft-Book/dp/0345511166

awwwwhhhhhh I love The Internet Archive!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tooka_doll

Cuteeee ^

I found this when googling that, too:

chinesetookadollviablog.jpg

(on a blog in Chinese I have no idea what is going on but it has a great big gallery of screenshots from this tv series which is cool, like, 100+ pages but really low quality tiny pics sadly: blog.yahoo.com/_NJPQINQPK5XNCCMTZKMBFR443A/photos)

And on the wikia that article says a ship called the Halo had a Tooka doll on the nose art... So I looked that up, and awhhh someone nicely scanned in the picture from one of the books! :)starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:HaloNoseart.jpg "nose art of the Halo. Aurebesh reads "Nice Playing With Ya."", Source: The Clone Wars: Season Two DVD production journal, le Guerre dei Cloni: Il Buono, Il Brutto, La Bella"

What's interesting about that is it says that ship was owned by not a Twi'lek but "a female Zabrak bounty hunter and mercenary by the name of Sugi", maybe it's well-known instory or maybe other races have "tooka dolls" for toys when young too, hmm, I wonder if it's meant to represent any particular creature it doesn't really give much clues :)

Totally imagining Sith now as secretly having a Tooka doll hidden under her bed for when it gets too much :jawa_biggrin: I think pretty much all Sith are gonna have to be emotionally scarred in some way hmm just various levels of pent-up ... totally thinking of that bit from the intro of American McGee's Alice now, with the rabbit doll creepily talking to her:

hehe.

anyway yeah, looks like I have a couple blurays to buy I really want to watch this now :) torn between that and writing, lol.

Edited by SelinaK

Actually, the answer is pretty simple.

The reason that those other races are not capable of being Sith Warriors is because, following the in-game story, Sith Warriors are nobles and above the rest of the Sith.

This means that they would require original Sith blood somewhere in their lineage, and the races provided are the only ones capable of that.

The reason Sith Inquisitors are offered more selection is because, once again, the story dictates that they were a Sith slave forced to master the force.

The Empire is very caste based.

It has nothing about wanting to release combinations in an expansion and has everything to do with the story itself.

Warriors are nobles, breed to be who they are. That limits them to Purebloods, Humans/Cyborgs, and Zabrak.

Inquisitors are slaves, allowing from a larger selection of the slaves the Empire keeps.

It's very simple.

Edited by ScylasQwynn

• 2 months later...

The reason that those other races are not capable of being Sith Warriors is because, following the in-game story, Sith Warriors are nobles and above the rest of the Sith.

This means that they would require original Sith blood somewhere in their lineage, and the races provided are the only ones capable of that.

The reason Sith Inquisitors are offered more selection is because, once again, the story dictates that they were a Sith slave forced to master the force.

It has nothing about wanting to release combinations in an expansion and has everything to do with the story itself.

Warriors are nobles, breed to be who they are. That limits them to Purebloods, Humans/Cyborgs, and Zabrak.

Inquisitors are slaves, allowing from a larger selection of the slaves the Empire keeps.

It's very simple.

Thank you for your words of wisdom. Saved me the trouble of writing this myself.

The reason race selection is so minimal for the SW is that you're supposed to be from an ancient/noble Sith bloodline (either human or Sith Pureblood - Zabrak were added after they did the voiced responses for the class, so they very occasionally get called out on being a pureblood). It's got more to do with the class story than anything else. *shrug*

There left out cause they are legacy races later one. Its as simple as that.

Exactly. They left out a bunch of options and stuff (ie cybernetics for all species) so that they could repackage what should have been availbable at launch as new content.

Now you can spend a few months leveling a twi'lek inquisitor so you can play what you want, a twi'lek sith warrior.

IMO this is a ploy to get you to pay for a few more months. Think about it, if it takes you 3 months to level a character that is 45 dollars you just paid to unlock something that could have been availble to begin with.

With legacy people will be here for many months just trying to unlock all the options.

It's very simple.

Yes.

Adding on....

Legacy enables more wiggle room, that should be noted coupled with the above. The whole thing is that, YES TWI'LEKS CAN BE SW...... once your legacy enables them. Once you've played your SI twilek to 50, you are technically a noble, and thus your kid (the SW twilek) is now allowed to train.

It's like asking why can't chiss be smugglers... Well, they can... They need to have left the ascendancy first and get a name out there. Coincidentally, that's what an agent/bounty hunter does in their story. So it would make sense that their son/daughter then has the freedom to be whatever.

Or how about miralian? They have sects for the empire, and sects for the republic. So why are they only republic? Maybe because they haven't expanded out enough. One your mirialian can grow up and be tempted by the dark side, we'll have warrior miralian. Or maybe your mirialian was taken hostage and became a slave? Inquisitor miralian.

I think a bit of this whole limited species thing has to do with BW knew legacy would be fun and they could do something with the class/species combos. And it would then be tied into the story (be it the player's story or game's story).

As for cyborgs/SI.... What happens if your stick a fork in an electrical socket? Hint: It isn't UNLIMITED POOOOWEEEEEER!

Good discussion in here. It's really too bad that the Legacy system wasn't implemented Day 1. It really should have been. Sometimes game mechanics trump lore. I think it's the way it should be. I don't want lore hindering what can make for fun in-game options. Sometimes, I want the lore to be rigid as well. With game mechanics though, I often ignore lore, because if I didn't, I would see the glaring contradictions that exist in this game. There are many, but I forgive it, because it's a game.

which even makes it worse... fact that they come from a D&D background where it was made CLEAR that race and class combos could be anything player liked and was a HUGE appeal to those games! yet BW has insisted since Dragon Age on limiting player choices...

i have played bioware games since BG1 and frankly disappointed in this running theme in there games -.-

At the time that Baldur's Gate was released, there were race restrictions on classes in D&D (Dwarfs couldn't be Wizards, Elves (I think) couldn't be Paladins).

It's in because of story. If you don't like that answer, it's in because of Legacy unlocks. If you don't like that answer, it's in because of future expansion unlocks. If you don't like that answer, it's in because WoW did it. If you don't like that answer, I don't know what to tell you, all of those are true, you have a problem with reality.

Sith Warriors are based on nobility and the purity of Blood, they are for the noble families of the Sith, I never understood the reason to make Zabraks a race choice, you may as well have put in all of them.

Sith Inquisitors can be anything from anywhere, you are a slave and you are force sensitive, the Empire needs more recruits, hence the Inquisitor story at the beginning being all about the Sith despise but tolerate your presence only just.

To them you are fodder to be trained, sent out and killed, they have no plans to make you actually part of the Sith Empire.

Sith Warriors are the mighty leaders of the Sith Empire's armies and fleets, born and bred to be exactly that, they are special and have some degree of Sith blood in their veins.