Merc & Op. Which is better for Heals / DPS ?

Kourage

I have 2 level 50's on Canderous Ordo, An Arsenal Mercenary & a Concealment Operative.

Both are DPS I'm thinking of switching 1 of them to healing.

Which is better for healing and which is better for DPS :rak_02:

My thoughts are to keep the Mercenary DPS, because it's ranged and probably better suited for it.

Or heck, I might even spec 1 for PvP.

Edited by Kourage

well if its pvp just put the merc away op has pretty good healing...if you want pve dps i assure you arsenal merc is not garbage i have a gunnery commando which is the mirror to the merc and i just parsed yesterday was at 1890 before the dip in mox took it 1854 so i assure you arsenal merc is good for pve garbage for pvp op dps garbage for pve awesome for pvp Edited by MustangKing
misspelled

Having played both classes, I prefer to heal on the Operative. I have never tried dps as a Merc, but they've certainly got some advantages over operative dps which generally ties you to being behind the boss in melee range. Yeah, lethality spec has a bit more mobility and I know some people can can do really good dps as an operative (people who are saying garbage dps probably haven't really played with decent players), but you'll probably get a better response to pug invites as a Merc.

I currently play an Operative Healer and an Arsenal DPS Merc in PvE. Both raid HM TFB (4/5)

In my experience, both are viable at both DPS and heals. However, there is less of a learning curve and you can get better results with Mercenary DPS and Operative Heals in PvE.

Edited by Tobradex

Both operative and mercenary are equally viable for PvP healing - the flavor of both is slightly different, as you'd pick up from playing them as DPS classes. The merc is less mobile, with all its instant heals on CDs, but benefits from some nice CDs and does very well when working with another healer. Operative has many, many escape tricks and are incredibly resilient.

Both are viable DPS in PvP (despite the PvP forums).

For DPS in PvE, operatives are at a significant disadvantage (backstab/hidden strike issues), but it's a surmountable one. I've seen operatives put up extremely good numbers in PvE - but it means another melee and one that relies on positioning for maximum dps - so you'll find raid leaders avoiding them. Mercs, now that they've been given an interrupt, are absolutely viable. Unfortunately, neither class have abilities that significantly benefit the rest of the raid (a la sniper shield, shatter shot, bloodthirst, armor debuffs, etc.).

For healing in Pve, both are viable.