PvP Sentinel Question

idrialx

So with recent nerfs to the Sentinel (or mara) a friend, if you want to even call him that, in my guild and I got into an argument about the Sentinel sub specs in pvp. Without giving my side or hise side and giving this a bias.. Please will any of you give your opinion about which Sentinel Subspec is the best against a Tank. Now keep in mind the best is different from simply good against a tank.

Thanks ^_^

So with recent nerfs to the Sentinel (or mara) a friend, if you want to even call him that, in my guild and I got into an argument about the Sentinel sub specs in pvp. Without giving my side or hise side and giving this a bias.. Please will any of you give your opinion about which Sentinel Subspec is the best against a Tank. Now keep in mind the best is different from simply good against a tank.

Thanks ^_^

If you are talking about a 1v1 scenario, I would try dragging out the fight by stacking all of my own self-healing tools. A good Watchman using Zealous Ward and Inspired Focus can heal quite a bit while keeping hot sentinel dps pressure on a tank.

Otherwise it might be better to use a more bursty spec if the plan was to deal with tanks and their healer buddies in the middle of chaotic warzones.

But the best answer always is to reroll to a tank. :p

All things considered, I agree with Bon's assessment. The stacking bleeds which do internal/elemental damage would keep a steady stream of damage going on the tank even while you may be stunned, mezzed, or knocked back, while the small heals attached to Annihilation]s/Watchman's Berserk aren't much, they are better than nothing and the other two specs wouldn't afford you any baseline heals at all. Additionally, Annhilate can hit rather hard and the damage of that attack is like that you would get from a burstier spec. You also have those autocrit bleeds which add up unaffected by their shield, as it doesn't protect them from critical hits in PVP.

A skank tank might changes things a little as they would be doing more damage than a "true tank" and thus make the advantage in terms of DPS the Sentinel would normally have over a tank somewhat less while not diminishing the 'tanks' survivabilty much. They won't be using a shield however so that aspect is different than when facing a true tank, essentially a moot point.

Assassin and Jugg tanks have a good deal of CC so be prepared for that if you go Watchman, certainly more than you, this would be of a lesser concern if you were using concentration due to it's anti-cc passives. Watchman's dots would also help some if the tank were an Assassin as damage can break them out of a stealth ability. Additionally the use of blade blitz could also be used in such a fashion with a little bit of luck.

A watchman vs a tank is a battle of attrition and while your damage will certainly be better than the tank's, the tank will have greater survivability which mitigates the better damage you'll have somewhat. - Anni/Watchman has long been considered the spec most apt of the three in 1v1s. All in all the fight is in your favor against a true tank.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

I've had success in 1v1 situations against tanks with Carnage/Combat. Of course, I don't play much Annihilation/Watchman so it's possible it could outperform it. If you play the engagement smart though (using DCDs, stuns, Resolve, movement etc.), Carnage/Combat's raw damage numbers can rip tanks up. Depends on the skill of the player, I'd say.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't think it matters, as long as you play aggressively. The better player would win, regardless of spec. I, personally, would go for concentration. A tank has a lot of controlling abilities while the Sentinel only has two. I don't think you can win against a good a good shadow/sin tank.