Looks like the new Star Wars movie is gonna suck.

Blackavaar

I disagree. I enjoyed the remake and thought it walked a wonderful line between the old and new. I am thrilled that he is taking over, in part because I know he has the courage to do things his way and respect the past while not being stuck in it.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. I enjoyed the remake and thought it walked a wonderful line between the old and new. I am thrilled that he is taking over, in part because I know he has the courage to do things his way and respect the past while not being stuck in it.

There will be nothing to be "brave about". The new SW movie will be completely new. New setting. New time line. Nothing to mess up except maybe a retelling of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai (which the movie is supposed to be based on). ;)

Abrams isn't perfect but he's almost the biggest/best name in sci-fi right now. Whedon or Cameron are just about the only two others that I would feel better about handling this.

What you don't want Kevin Smith?!?!?!?!?!? :eek:

*ducks*

I kid. :D

Edited by Urael

Last time I've checked Star Trek had:

- action

- funny dialog

- one liners

- quite good plot

I'm looking forward to see how it will be with new episodes.

P.S. - I would like to see Star Wars made by Tarantino thou :D

B.R.

Leigabar

The next Star Wars movie is in great hands.

It really is.

You'd think Lost alone - a TV show that single-handedly made sci-fi shows cool again and something more than "what nerds watch on SyFy" - would give people hope that the next Star Wars movie will be something fresh and exciting, but it is doomed to fail. Not commercially, but definitely when it comes to people's view of how well JJ Abrams did.

And that's because a pretty vocal part of the fanbase (just like with SWTOR's) doesn't want anything new and exciting - they just want the same 36-year old material in HD, failing to realize that the generation that grew up with the original Star Wars movies is likely in their 50s+ now and this generation needs different things to be appeased.

I wish him the best of luck (he's going to need it...) and I hope he makes a movie that appeals to the more open-minded fans, because it's a waste of time to even try to appeal to those that will hate it no matter what just because Disney is behind it or because Lucas didn't direct it etc.

PS: This time let's try to avoid any kind of actors with the acting talent of a box of rocks. So, please no Haydens in this movie, OK? Kthanx.

J. J. Abrahms. Enough said? :rolleyes:

Yeah, he already ruined one sci-fi franchise. Let's give him the other one too.

:(

Are you kidding??? J.J Abrams will finally give us a serious StarWars movie. I couldn't be happier and am actually shocked that they were able to land one of today's best directors!

Edited by Klarick

The real question is if Abrams understands the difference between one SF franchise and another. I liked the Star Trek remake to some extent, but if he uses the same style and pacing (lots of running along corridors and shouting) the SW remake might suck.

Star Wars was always about the pacing - action scenes but also character development and stuff like jedi philosophy. Star Trek had none of that, it was a themepark ride with little depth.

My biggest problem with hid Star Trek remake was the engine room. It looked more like the mech rooms running off steam here at the naval base then an area containing a warp drive and its components.

I wish him the best of luck (he's going to need it...) and I hope he makes a movie that appeals to the more open-minded fans, because it's a waste of time to even try to appeal to those that will hate it no matter what just because Disney is behind it or because Lucas didn't direct it etc.

Disney, the company that brought us:

1. The Avengers

2. Pirates of the Carribean

3. National Treasure

4. Prince of Persia

5. Remember the Titans

6. And the upcoming The Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp! You know that's gonna rock!

Not to mention the 100's of great animated films, such as:

1. Toy Story

2. Cars

3. Nightmare before Christmas

4. Rattatoulie

I could go on and on and on.

New Starwars movie directed by JJ Abrams:

1. Star Trek (brought Star Trek back to seriousness)

2. Lost

3. Super 8

4. Armageddon

5. Cloverfield

I could go on and on and on.

This last few months have SAVED Star Wars! First with the Disney deal, then second, grabbing JJ Abrams.

Woo just wow.!

Edited by Klarick

1. The Avengers

3. National Treasure

4. Prince of Persia

5. Remember the Titans

6. And the upcoming The Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp! You know that's gonna rock!

yeaaah...I wouldn't mention National Treasure or Prince of Persia in a "look, they've done cool movies" list , but I generally agree. :p

And one more thing:

Two words.

Uwe Boll

Be thankful, people ;)

It really is.

You'd think Lost alone - a TV show that single-handedly made sci-fi shows cool again and something more than "what nerds watch on SyFy" - would give people hope that the next Star Wars movie will be something fresh and exciting, but it is doomed to fail. Not commercially, but definitely when it comes to people's view of how well JJ Abrams did.

And that's because a pretty vocal part of the fanbase (just like with SWTOR's) doesn't want anything new and exciting - they just want the same 36-year old material in HD, failing to realize that the generation that grew up with the original Star Wars movies is likely in their 50s+ now and this generation needs different things to be appeased.

PS: This time let's try to avoid any kind of actors with the acting talent of a box of rocks. So, please no Haydens in this movie, OK? Kthanx.

I think Hayden can act. I think he needs a director who can direct him though.

Some of the biggest names in Hollywood, I'd argue don't act, so much as play themselves, and the fans love it (Harrison Ford, Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones...ect...ect).

But those same actors tend to have something in their resume at some point, that shows they can act against type.

yeaaah...I wouldn't mention National Treasure or Prince of Persia in a "look, they've done cool movies" list , but I generally agree. :p

Anything with Nicholas Cage belongs on any movie list. :) Sorry huge fan. I thought it was an awesome move.

Prince of Pershia was a very fun, high quality, movie to watch.

Of course it is all opinion, and opinions differ.

And one more thing:

Two words.

Uwe Boll

Be thankful, people ;)

I knew after reading the one post, someone would mention National Treasure and Prince of Persia. :p

NT1 was great. NT2 wasn't bad, but it needed work as it just didn't live up to NT1. Prince of Persia I personally thought was a lot of fun, and for what it was, I'm baffled at why it did so poorly and still hope they one day decide, "You know what? Bring Jake back and lets do a sequal!" Also, I jsut like Jake Gyllenhaal (I may have misspelled his last name tho :p)

It was a good movie, and I enjoyed it, but it wasn't Star Trek. In Star Trek you don't disrupt the time line killing billions of people then go "Oh well".

I don't think any of the Enterprise crew did that. Nero being the villain, likely didn't care.

ST needed some updating for it's movies. And while I liked the movie, I wish they hadn't basiucally said "all old stuff is obsolete" and think they could of revitalized the franchise just as easily with doing something like that with the TNG crew.

I've never seen the Star Trek rejig, or whatever it was.

But Cloverfield was pretty special - and I'm of the opinion that Abrams is a guy who knows movies inside and out.

I'm not sure there's a better candidate out there, tbh.

Cloverfield was directed by Matt Reeves and written by Drew Goddard. Abrams was just the producer who pasted his name all over it.

:cool:

I also heard, the new bad guy will be Darth Binks, Jar Jar is pissed and wants revenge.... :-)

Would be awesome if Jar Jar got cut to pieces in the opening scene by whoever is the new antagonist. That alone would catapult Episode VII to the top of the catalog.

I know plenty of people who have skipped JJ's Star Trek and everything else he does and so will even skip Star Wars. I'm one of them too.

BS. You will be first in line to see the new Star Wars at a midnight showing, if only just to boo hoo it without looking like a complete ignoramous.

1. The Avengers

3. National Treasure

4. Prince of Persia

5. Remember the Titans

You forgot John Carter...

wait for it...

lol

Disney is no guarantee of quality. Abrams is rock solid though.

Sorry OP gotta disagree... I was never a big trek fan... Not that I didn't like it at all, but just indifferent to it until the Star trek remake.... I thought it was Epic! I would agree that Abrahms has had some duds in the past but he's had some pretty awesome stuff as well... and as a visual storyteller there is no denying that the man is talented...

Star Wars is pretty hard to screw up though in all honesty; not that it isn't possible, but you'd have to make a real effort... I mean even the prequel trilogy, which was clearly nowhere near as good as the original; weren't terrible... They just didnt mean the standard of what the average Star Wars fan expected (And Hayden was pretty awful... Oops I didn't say that did I? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........)

In any case, I think after what he was able to accomplish, he seems like a good candidate for star wars... I would have loved to see Joss Whedon get it and perhaps we still might for 8 or 9... Or Kevin Smith! Imagine Jay and Silent Bob with lightsabers :)

Last time I've checked Star Trek had:

- action

- funny dialog

- one liners

- quite good plot

I'm looking forward to see how it will be with new episodes.

P.S. - I would like to see Star Wars made by Tarantino thou :D

B.R.

Leigabar

So, we must have seriously watched different movies. I can't think of a single line from that movie that made it into popular use. I realize its not the 80's anymore and you don't have as many "get to the choppa" types of moments these days, but literally nothing stands out to me about the dialog.

As for the plot, wow I don't know what to say. I like to sum up my opinion of it with the opening of the film:

Kirk daddy needs to use the ship to dsitract Nero from killing all the escape pods, which he so far seems indifferent to, but the auto-pilot is down so he must guide the ship manually. Then, in the midst of this battle that needs his direct control, he has a 5 minute conversation with his wife. After which, he walks over to the piloting station, and inputs coordinates then sits back as the ship 'automatically pilots' itself into Nero's ship. This distracts Nero for approximately a nano second, but thankfully this distraction served to maintain his seeming indifference to the escape pods and he leaves them floating completely vulnerable to execution had he wanted.

And it only gets worse from there. Seriously, if you claim that is a good plot, I shudder to think to think of what it takes to be considered bad.

Edit: as for the action, I have already acknowledged that Abrams has good pacing, but if you watch the movie again, check out what the action consists of. Kirk getting beat up, Kirk running, Kirk having an epiphany, repeat ad nauseum.

Edited by Tumedus

J. J. Abrahms. Enough said? :rolleyes:

Yeah, he already ruined one sci-fi franchise. Let's give him the other one too.

:(

You're joking right? It's pretty much accepted he took ST and didn't ruin it. He actually made it better. Maybe the ST snobs who wanted to see something in the original universe didn't like it, but they can get lost because the new movie was a very well done MOVIE.

So, we must have seriously watched different movies. I can't think of a single line from that movie that made it into popular use. I realize its not the 80's anymore and you don't have as many "get to the choppa" types of moments these days, but literally nothing stands out to me about the dialog.

As for the plot, wow I don't know what to say. I like to sum up my opinion of it with the opening of the film:

Kirk daddy needs to use the ship to dsitract Nero from killing all the escape pods, which he so far seems indifferent to, but the auto-pilot is down so he must guide the ship manually. Then, in the midst of this battle that needs his direct control, he has a 5 minute conversation with his wife. After which, he walks over to the piloting station, and inputs coordinates then sits back as the ship 'automatically pilots' itself into Nero's ship. This distracts Nero for approximately a nano second, but thankfully this distraction served to maintain his seeming indifference to the escape pods and he leaves them floating completely vulnerable to execution had he wanted.

And it only gets worse from there. Seriously, if you claim that is a good plot, I shudder to think to think of what it takes to be considered bad.

Edit: as for the action, I have already acknowledged that Abrams has good pacing, but if you watch the movie again, check out what the action consists of. Kirk getting beat up, Kirk running, Kirk having an epiphany, repeat ad nauseum.

Every single ST movie before the remake has been terrible. Don't even point out problems in the new one without acknowledging how awful some of the older ones are. Generations was so laughably stupid that it doesn't even deserve to be a movie.

JJA did a fine job. There are plot holes but that's par for the Hollywood course. The action, pacing and dialogue are done well no that's what people look for in a movie.