Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(continued from page 205)

That's why I hate the whole, "gays aren't in SW," or "if SGR happens, I'll unsub since the lore is ruined thing." There are those out there that treat this like anathema(omg, spelled that right without spell check!)

What saddens me the most is that non-humans are okay with humans, NPC can fall in love with images, but gay people "don't exist?" l actually saw someone on my server(which has few trolls all in all) tell a bunch of people in Tython that if you support gay rights/gay marriage/even SGR content in this game, you are condoning violating children. :mad:

I wanted to call this person many many bad names that would have probably resulted in a ban. Thankfully, a lot of people shut him down quick, myself included(without the aforementioned bad words.) It wasn't long before the troll was cornered by logic. He went from "gays are evil," to "this country was built on slavery!"

I made sure I left before the jackwagon could Godwin himself. I knew it was coming at that rate. Trolls can be quite predictable.

Oh and "gays are trying to push their agenda on us," type crap was coming out of their fingers as well. Naturally.

Funny how for the LGBT communities it's equality and for some narrow minded people it's an "agenda." :rolleyes:

*Edit: Plus, I think that very same troll ended up here a couple of days ago and got his posts yanked. Same statements, same cadence in speech too.

Edited by natashina

Okay, I'm out. I'll be back when attempts to keep this thread from devolving into a misery-fest filled with nothing but statement after statement of how everyone's annoyed we don't have information, with absolutely zero room for anything else or any other kind of discussion, aren't met without outright, blatant condescension.

I didn't put Scorpio on the list since she seems quite humanoid. From what I have seen(haven't met her yet on my IA,) her bloodlust is on par with DS Jaesa's. :eek:

However, Scorpio seems like she could be a sexual being. I'm not saying it would happen, but if we are playing in a world where someone can love a hologram, why not a droid? Especially a more humanoid one.

Trying to have a relationship with SCORPIO would be like trying to have a relationship with HK-47 - that is, you'd have to live with the fact that eventually your lover would kill you, that your lover actually actively hates you. So no. SCORPIO does not make sense. (Trust me, I've a max level IA. :p)

But on that topic... There was a "crazy droid lady" in the original KotOR series, though the droid she had a thing for was a protocol droid that she was using as a substitute for her dead husband, IIRC. It was presented as being quite creepy, and all the poor droid wanted to do was get away from her. I suspect there might be limitations of programming with might prevent droid/non-droid relations on the part of the droid.

Trying to have a relationship with SCORPIO would be like trying to have a relationship with HK-47 - that is, you'd have to live with the fact that eventually your lover would kill you, that your lover actually actively hates you. So no. SCORPIO does not make sense. (Trust me, I've a max level IA. :p)

That can be fun, as long as you keep a blaster handy.:D Seriously, I can see your point. Bad enough that I don't trust DS Jaesa 100% even w/ maxed affection. SCORPIO would be worse.

But on that topic... There was a "crazy droid lady" in the original KotOR series, though the droid she had a thing for was a protocol droid that she was using as a substitute for her dead husband, IIRC. It was presented as being quite creepy, and all the poor droid wanted to do was get away from her. I suspect there might be limitations of programming with might prevent droid/non-droid relations on the part of the droid.

This makes me more inclined to hope for an update to KotOR, changing only the fact it could work on Win 7/Win 8. I really like the idea of having an NPC like that in game. It not only would show many different types of relationships in ToR, but frankly sounds like a great quest for a PC to do. I'm trying to picture my JK attempting to keep a straight face as he meets a crazy old droid lady.

And I could see things being...awkward if intimacy came up between a droid and a humanoid. Still, it would be nice to see it in game if for no other reason than to show the differences and diversity of the Galaxy. :cool:

Edited by natashina

Okay, I'm out. I'll be back when attempts to keep this thread from devolving into a misery-fest filled with nothing but statement after statement of how everyone's annoyed we don't have information, with absolutely zero room for anything else or any other kind of discussion, aren't met without outright, blatant condescension.

Sorry to hear that, you always add an interesting perspective to the discussions.

To me it kind of feels like it isn't just this thread. Ever since the last patch hit with it's super buggy content everything feels kind of down about the game's community right now. Or maybe that is only part of it, since the server consolidation the vibe in game has gotten pretty bad too, it's like those two jerks every server had all met when the consolidation happened and are now busy forming whole new guilds of jerks. I dunno, all I can really say for sure is it feels like there is some kind of bad vibe going around that is tainting the community. So, I get where you are coming from.

To me the weird thing is that all the information we do have about SGR is fairly optimistic, so I'm not really sure why everyone is so down about this. Maybe it is just that we're attracting a higher number of trolls and 'phobes than usual, but it feels like more than that. I don't really know what the deal is, but it isn't just you Kioma, this place is starting to feel tainted by the un-fun variety of the dark side. :(

Edited by losdia

The lack of clarification does have a lot of posters down. My solution is to try to enjoy the game and work on my IA's story. I figure as much as this lack of info sucks, it isn't healthy for me to stay angry. I'm disgruntled, sure, but I'm not that angry. At this point, all I can do as a player is to watch for any new information, wait until 1.5 and have fun as much as I can while awaiting SGRs.

I'm still going to think about who's coming and how it might be available. I still enjoy the random comments that come out of Kailyo's mouth. I still LOVE Alderaan, which is one of the prettiest planets in the game.

As far as the bugginess of 1.4 goes, it hasn't gotten me down any. I've seen much worse from mmo's in my 8 yrs of playing the genre. I know that Patch Day = Problems. So I try not to let that bother me too much. /shrug

Edited by natashina

As far as the bugginess of 1.4 goes, it hasn't gotten me down any. I've seen much worse from mmo's in my 8 yrs of playing the genre. I know that Patch Day = Problems. So I try not to let that bother me too much. /shrug

I've seen a lot of patches that were as bugged as 1.4 since I started playing MMOs waaay back with EQ1 in '99, but I've very seldom seen one that generated as much negative reaction from the playerbase as this one. I honestly don't think it is that bad really, it was mostly just hardware conflicts they didn't catch in QA, but it feels like it was something of a perfect storm to make a lot of players crazy about it. There was too long a delay since the last major content update combined with the common wisdom that it was rushed to compete with WOW's new expansion. that just left a lot of players turned off from the game right now and venting their bad feelings on the forums.

I dunno, I just kind of feel there is a bad vibe going around. Trying to attribute causes to it is probably futile.

I'll be back when attempts to keep this thread from devolving into a misery-fest filled with nothing but statement after statement of how everyone's annoyed we don't have information, with absolutely zero room for anything else or any other kind of discussion, aren't met without outright, blatant condescension.

I am annoyed that we don't have information and will keep stating it until something actually happens. Unfortunately, the last time I tried to discuss anything same-gender related on these forums that wasn't just about the lack of news about content, a rampaging CM came by and deleted my posts. So huff.

That's why I hate the whole, "gays aren't in SW," or "if SGR happens, I'll unsub since the lore is ruined thing." There are those out there that treat this like anathema(omg, spelled that right without spell check!)

I always find it annoying when people discuss the "lore" in Star Wars and claim to know the "truth". Star Wars is fiction, true is whatever you want it to be, or nothing of it at all, but there is no such thing as an ultimate truth. Sure, it's George Lucas invention, so he has the last say about it, but that shouldn't limit us from using our own fantasy. Sweet dreams are made of this, who am I to disagree?

The unsub comments are irrelevant. Some people may unsubscribe, sure, but any change you can possibly make leads to people unsubscribing for any reason. At any day there are thousands of people subscribing and unsubscribing from the game and while some people will unsubscribe I find it highly unlikely that there will be less new subscribers than ultra-conservatives who unsubscribe because of that. The vast majorty of people will likely not care either way.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Some people may unsubscribe, sure, but any change you can possibly make leads to people unsubscribing for any reason. At any day there are thousands of people subscribing and unsubscribing from the game and while some people will unsubscribe I find it highly unlikely that there will be less new subscribers than ultra-conservatives who unsubscribe because of that. The vast majorty of people will likely not care either way.

Given BioWare's fanbase, I think it's pretty safe to say that the amount of subs gained from same-sex content will be substantially higher than the amount lost from the same.

And I'm saying that because what finally made me buy Mass Effect was the blue lesbians.

Edited by HellbirdIV

Unlike many others here, same gender romances are a "nice to have" feature as far as I am concerned, something of grave importance, regardless of how interesting it may be to discuss it. The existing hetero romances were not that thrilling either. If they had a Leliana I might feel different about it.

Now I have the nearly overwhelming urge to play Dragon Age Origins again with my female city elf and romance Leliana again. Love her voice and accent! :D

So I decided to come back after a few months absence and must say that I am really disappointed by the lack of information.

I hope that the rumours are true and 1.5 will finally bring SGRAs.

I know I am a little late for the Kalio companion article, but I want to say that it is actually not as discouraging as it seems at the first glance. I have not played IA past Hutta yet, but I know that Kalio is only one of the two possible full romances for a male IA and has the single most controversial romantic arc of all companions (followed by Quinn for the SW). So even though the bald bad-*** girl has every gaydar (or whatever the lesbian equivalent is called) pinging I always thought that Raina is a more likely candidate to be opened up for an SGRA since her arc seems far less controversial.

Also that they now start discussing individual companions in such a prominent way seems to indicate that any update changing the romantic arcs of the companions can´t be too far away, since in 24 weeks ( if it is indeed a weekly feature) they will run out of non romance companions and have to talk about the romance-able ones (why Kalio is one of the few female exceptions I have explained in the above paragraph). And imagine how embarrassing it would be to have such a blog about a character one week and in the next patch notes that read NPC XXX is bisexual now.

I am pretty sure that old companions (and possibly some old flirts as well) will be opened up because it is the most economic and least offensive way possible. Introducing new level 50 companions would either need a lot of resources for creating 16 NPCs or be really half-hearted by just having a one-size-does-not-fit-every-class arc that is the same for every player (and even that would need far more resources then redoing already existing companions to be available).

Edited by Wittand

Now I have the nearly overwhelming urge to play Dragon Age Origins again with my female city elf and romance Leliana again. Love her voice and accent! :D

I just noticed the message of mine you quoted is completed messed. Of course I wanted to say that same gender romances are not something of grave importance to me because the existing because the existing romances I've seen so far are not particularly good either and I am not sure whether I'd go with one of the options even if they were introduced. But I suppose you have guessed that from the context. ^^

As for regarding that comment that everyone is suddenly bisexual now: My favourite statement from all Star Wars is "You will find one day that many truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." A given character might not be bisexual at all but either straight or lesbian, depending on who is asking and what they have set in their preferences. What is true regarding a given companion for one player must not necessarily be true for another. A male Jedi Knight's Kira will remain straight as a turbo laser beam.

Considering the limited options (which has been discussed in length before), especially for possible female gay romances, there is hardly anything they can do as to enable gay romances for the vast majority of female characters, if they want to have all classes covered and not introduce entirely new characters for most classes.

Introducing new characters which are "gay only" would be risky from Biowares point of view because that would make a lot players, who are only interested in straight options, but have no problem with homosexuality per se, seriously envious. They would consider themselves being treated unfairly (as ironic that may be) and demand that there should be content for them as well.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Made me laugh. It's a good point - in the theoretical circumstances that there's a patch which applies same-gender romances, how will it be included in the patch notes? >_>

A million and half jokes spring to mind. Seriously though, BW maintains such a secretive attitude about SGR that I wouldn't be surprised if the patch notes about this was "expanded story for companions" or something that sounded equally innocuous.

A million and half jokes spring to mind. Seriously though, BW maintains such a secretive attitude about SGR that I wouldn't be surprised if the patch notes about this was "expanded story for companions" or something that sounded equally innocuous.

I'm still hoping for...

• Innocuous Patch Note 1
  • Gays in Space
  • Innocuous Patch Note 2

Has anyone (not necessarily seriously) considered the possibility of gay classes? Rainbow Warrior. Lipstick Agent. Imperial Bull Dyke? (Hope no one takes offense in this, I realize those terms are often not used in a friendly way... but that's not how I mean it.)

You could theoretically design a character with a certain look, I suppose... My IA Jan'neria, for example, is pretty butch (she's Body type 3, with short slicked back hair, and wears an imperial uniform), but I didn't design her with that in mind.

Now I think about it, most of my characters use the "amazon" body type... Hmm... I think that says more about me than it does about my characters, though. ;)

There's also in the rep Narshadda bonus series a twi'lek female surely in love with her astromech droid you'll have to recover

There is a similar storyline in the Nar Shadaa bonus quest on Republic side. Droids usually aren't programmed to be romantic and therefore lack the capacity. They may or may not be more than machines but they don't do that.

I'm always surprised the JC Nar Shadaa quest line, which I tend to think of as the Macross Plus story, doesn't come up in conversations about droid romance more often.

It is possible to get KoTOR to play on Windows 7 - I use this fix (scroll down to the second post for win7) and it works :)

http://http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=194296

I think if you buy a current re-issue, or a release over Steam (KotOR: 9€, KotOR II: 10€), that should not be a problem. Steam usually fascilitates means to make sure it actually works. I had Windows 95 games and even MS-DOS games under Windows 7. I might be wrong, but I don't think the windows version supports wide screen displays. (You can still play it, but it will display a 4:3 screen)

Of course... a native version that should run without any problems whatsoever is the Mac version. Especially since it is less limited in screen resolution than the Windows version if I remember correctly.

However, people should keep in mind that the game is firstly old, and secondly the character graphics were not overwhelming when it was new. It does not entirely fit into the modern triad approach (damage dealer/healer/tank) either, roles are more circumstancial, some characters are less useful in direct combat and have advantages in other fields of action. It's a D20 game, meaning it employs rules mostly identical with the pen and paper RPG Dungeons & Dragons 3.

Sorry for the OT.

Edited by Rabenschwinge