The Reason Overpricing on the GTN is a Problem

DarthEnrique

They don't sell for 100K. They sell lower though.

I've seen pages and pages of 100K crystals both cartel and crafted, even tried it myself and nothing. Doesn't draw attention like a bargain does.

However 1 50-60K crystal in a sea of 100s gets the buy button twitching. Bulk and reasonable pricing is always the way.

I sell in 20s, keep an eye out kids and you'll be Donald Trump in no time.

Oh and next time Bounty Contract week comes up, sell those contracts. I made 7 million from those last server week.

This guy I've quoted is a little bit up his own you know, but he's right. You want to rip people off, "nice" guys like me are the way to do it. Greed vs. Need.

Taking advantage of the weak and naive like yourself to effectively make my own fortune greater, well that could be considered part of the Sith way.

Nice guys finish last for a reason dontcha know. ;)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a general question, not targeted at you specifically, but do you see the perpetual cycle caused by pricing so high?

No because of supply vs demand.

If I list something I ALWAYS undercut the lowest price significantly for one thing (thus pissing off a whole other area of the community heh) or don't list if it's selling below me making a reasonable profit (which is hard to gauge when so many items came from hypercrates I opened).

If I control a market (or at least have the only item when I search prices) well I start testing the waters with what I consider a really tidy profit for an items and then go up/down from there depending on if it sold or not (assume I always have multiples of items because I do in most cases).

Thus my method is completely supply and demand driven. The increasing prices are due to, imo, RMTs, previous exploits and largely reduced CM sales. That increases supply of credits and decreases supply of items to buy with said credits thus price goes up.

You and others have acknowledged the problem that credit sellers make for the economy. But they wouldn't have a market if people weren't seeing things listed in the dozens and hundreds of millions and despairing at how long and how much time it would actually take to make that much money in a reasonable amount of time.

I see where you are going with this but it's only going to work if EVERYONE stopped selling high to take advantage of the increased credit base just to be ... nice? This won't happen though, it doesn't happen in the real world and it certainly won't happen in a fantasy game.

Now if I personally decided to do so I would just be lessening my own enjoyment of the game (I like making lots of credits and I like buying hypercrates) as I would effectively be making less credits even though the buying power aof a credit is going up.

Some GTN warriors tell them to run heroics and they'll be there in no time ( :rolleyes: ).

Yeah that usually won't happen.

Or create

a market for crafting (and hope that someone else doesn't already have this market cornered and won't just simply undercut you until you have to give up and you've already wasted all the time and money to find out too late that this will happen).

Research your markets first, diversify and profit. There is a wealth of guide and help in the crew skills area that I can't see how anyone can't make decent credits from crew skills. Once you get a great credit base from crew skills then you can also start profiting from CM items - for example buy low sell high.

Then eventually you end up where I am now where you have so much inventory stashed away you can just buy tons of hypercrates, stash the goods whilst you work through selling off your older and now more valuable stuff (that also came from hypercrates). By the time you roll back around to that hypercrate the items would have inflated from embargo and you make really large profits easily.

Yes, fortunes can be made this way but most people do not have the time or patience to do things like that. Then they see someone selling millions upon millions of credits for what seems like chump change and they can now, instead of months of time grinding, buy all the credits instantly and buy that 200mil weapon. Then the seller says "Hey, this is the market price! I'll sell the next one for 225mil and it will still sell!"

This is true but if BWA actively did something to remove those RMTs and most importantly their credits from the system the credit price would jump significantly. I recall when it was around $2 per million just before the first major credit exploit - this was when hypercrates were ~4 million and items priced accordingly.

If BWA managed to heavily target RMTs so the credit supply starts to dry up then GTN prices will drop over time as less people can afford the majorly high prices.

BWA choose not to do this, BWA chose not to investigate and remedy the exploits correctly - it's their game, the state of the economy is on them.

Until Bioware completely gets rid of the credit sellers, no discussion of the economy (and lies about it being a healthy economy) matters. Sellers aren't the foundational enemy here, they're just exploiting (maybe too harsh of a word?) the people who use the credit sellers. They would have to sell at lower prices if there wasn't so much "dirty" money in the economy.

You'll note I read your post as I quoted because it seems in the end we agree. :)

Really, all the inflation tells me is that even the most populated servers are being impacted by the population decline. It has a lot less to do with credit rewards and far more to do with reduced interest trickling down the line.

I don't think so because you have to consider the full implications of reduced population.

Less supply of CM items, less credits in the economy, less demand for items ... all in all you would think it would balance out more or less, not have CM inflation by a factor of 5+ in a matter of a month and now up to 10x in a couple of years.

There is something more at play here and I think the RMTs, their cheap pricing and the lack of any seeming risk in buying or selling are probably the major factor.

The reason it's a problem is because there's too many greedy lucky cartel spenders who buy packs, get a sweet item then declare it worth 100 MILLION on gtn. Second lucky cartel spender gets the item. Looks at gtn. SWEET THIS IS GOING FOR 100 MILL..IMMA POST IT FOR 99MILL

Somewhere down the line, someone may post for 60 mill but that's it.

These lucky cartel spenders regularly buy a crap load of cc stuffs/packs like 50 at a time, so they've got a huge amount of credits because they're the first to post awesome items.

Now normal Joe gets a normal item. But normal Joe wants the 60 mill ultra rare death lightsaber item. So normal Joe posts his normal item at 13-25 mill. Now it's not worth 13-25 mill, but normal Joe needs credits.

Other normal Joe's, see Joe's listing and think, sweet, this junk is worth 13-25 mill and also post it.

Broke me goes dang it...I can't afford anything so me quits/or me posts on forum ranting about gtn prices.

As long as the cartel market is selling stuff, gtn will be legit out of control because people are inherently greedy. All of us get something ultra rare and we rub our hands together in anticipation of how much we will get off of gtn.

That's the gtn for you. The more money you spend in cc, the more credits you likely have.

Oh and here's my proof. Over the months I've talked with other SWTOR people. Just the other day a few admitted to having more than 80 million credits at their disposal. Why? Because of cartel market items they've sold for 60 mill+ those of us who are broke, as in barely scrape together 2-3 mil, aren't big cartel market spenders. The amount spent at cartel market was the common denominator.

That's the gtn for you. The more money you spend in cc, the more credits you likely have.

But I don't and haven't spent anything on CC and have more credits than most people that have?

All your posts are doing is saying "there is inflation" but you aren't really hitting onto the major reason why there is inflation.

For example being such a large seller myself if I see an item listed for 20 million but I know I'd bel ucky to get 2 for it I'll chuck it at 1.5 million undercutting MASSIVELY the 20 million.

Now I cycle through at least 1000 listings a week and that flies in the face of one of your inflation theories.

But I don't and haven't spent anything on CC and have more credits than most people that have?

All your posts are doing is saying "there is inflation" but you aren't really hitting onto the major reason why there is inflation.

For example being such a large seller myself if I see an item listed for 20 million but I know I'd bel ucky to get 2 for it I'll chuck it at 1.5 million undercutting MASSIVELY the 20 million.

Now I cycle through at least 1000 listings a week and that flies in the face of one of your inflation theories.

Do you play the market or are you a crafter?

Do you play the market or are you a crafter?

Started as a crafter and moved into purely selling CM items. I play the market a little as I see really cheap items in searching my existing items but otherwise it's selling what I have and replenishing via more hypercrates.

How did I get to that point? Crafting/crew skills and using profits to buy hypercrates.

Crew skills can make massive profits. Especially if you have a smooth supply chain, diversify your market, have some good rare and sought after schematics (where a single crit can mean millions) and keep n active eye on which markets are profitable and which are not.

It's not much work either, no where near as much as say grinding. You just have to be clued up in the first place to do so which is why I guess not everyone is game rich. :)

Started as a crafter and moved into purely selling CM items. I play the market a little as I see really cheap items in searching my existing items but otherwise it's selling what I have and replenishing via more hypercrates.

How did I get to that point? Crafting/crew skills and using profits to buy hypercrates.

Crew skills can make massive profits. Especially if you have a smooth supply chain, diversify your market, have some good rare and sought after schematics (where a single crit can mean millions) and keep n active eye on which markets are profitable and which are not.

It's not much work either, no where near as much as say grinding. You just have to be clued up in the first place to do so which is why I guess not everyone is game rich. :)

I wouldn't even know where to begin. But I'd definitely take pointers. Too bad we can't see what's actually selling. I'd probably go the crafting route but I have no idea what people really need.

I wouldn't even know where to begin. But I'd definitely take pointers. Too bad we can't see what's actually selling. I'd probably go the crafting route but I have no idea what people really need.

Dyes are a pretty safe bet I always found simply because no legacy version.

Crafting prefabs that buy decorations and selling the decorations usually made mad profit and the market is insanely quiet so easy profit there.

You could actually buy the prefabs and then buy the decos, list the decos and double your money or more at one stage and even bigger profit still if you were self sufficient in gathering and crafting.

Getting lots of comps rep up on mutliple toons and then just crafting within reason at first and sending all others out on crew skills for purple mats was always easy credits too - more so now because the crit rate is so much higher with the higher companion rep cap.

Check the crew skills sub-forum, ask for help if need be. Plenty of advice was always given there. Psandak has great guides in his signature.

Dyes are a pretty safe bet I always found simply because no legacy version.

Crafting prefabs that buy decorations and selling the decorations usually made mad profit and the market is insanely quiet so easy profit there.

You could actually buy the prefabs and then buy the decos, list the decos and double your money or more at one stage and even bigger profit still if you were self sufficient in gathering and crafting.

Getting lots of comps rep up on mutliple toons and then just crafting within reason at first and sending all others out on crew skills for purple mats was always easy credits too - more so now because the crit rate is so much higher with the higher companion rep cap.

Check the crew skills sub-forum, ask for help if need be. Plenty of advice was always given there. Psandak has great guides in his signature.

I think what you suggest works only as long as very few people do this. If more people were to do this the supply will increase significantly and the profit will drop like a bomb. Free market trading makes you rich because most people aren't doing what you do. Just imagine if 100 people on your server started doing what you are explaining. Your market would be destroyed by the competition in no time.

i have tried to absorb a lot of different advice from various threads on this topic. im still not making bank, but im thrashing around the waters, so to speak, and have not decided where to actually start. i dont get a lot of play time but I am starting to move specific items to specific toons to list as well as working on crew skills.

i was a bit excited on the lvl 70 items until i noticed they need items from higher grade flash points and/weeklies. but, i am working on that now, too. i actually started PvPing though not having much fun cause i die a lot; Pubs get murderized a lot; and I got criticized because i neglected to use a taunt at the specific time this guy wanted..oh, after he made comments about how old the stim i was using...geez, man, i have a billion of these in my bank...gonna use up. I also did a couple of FPs for the first time in 2 years. bad experience when healing so i just DPS on all my toons now.

i figure that by the time the game closes i should have a nice fortune :) I am good at math, but, for some reason, when it comes to finances i suck worse than an overused vacuum cleaner in a lint factory. however, i will say that my goal of having no less than 10million per character is something i can reach. with 9-10 toons and already there on two of them...im working the rest now and will use their crew skills to determine the market they get into. once i get to 10 million...ill jump it up to 15 and she'll tell two friends and she'll tell two friends and she'll tell two friends....and so on and so on.

I have never approached a game like this before. in SWG i built a nice bank making bio-enhanced clothing and then moved to foods then droids. the bio components, though, were my better seller as any shmo could make droids. it did help to know parts and was a big part of the SWGCraft.com community and its offshoot when trokk left for good. however, my goal playing was to have fun. I tried to play the auction house in wow, but failed miserably.

would much rather if we were able to craft more decos rather than crafting the currency, but, yea...i dont see that happening. would love to see an animal handler, shipwright, droid engineer, etc crew skills and/or classes pop, but dreams.

regardless, i try to absorb what i read in threads like this and though my memory is a bit batty at times i do retain most of what i do read. it just takes a bit of dedication and the want to do somethign other than to just combat. like when folks spend a day just working on their stronghold.

Edited by Qouivandes

I feel like I've read this story before. Something about trying to save your relationship with your boyfriend by grinding out a set for him in a game he doesn't even play any longer.

You're wasting your time, btw.

Yep, same whine just a different package.

I did it for the guy I am in love with, he is a cop, he gets on swtor to unwind from his job, not to get on this game to have to grind for what he wants. I understand this, especially since I've had it explained to me how taxing his job can be in the stress department. He doesn't want to come on this game to do a grindfest. He like myself, is a Star Wars fan and he like me, enjoys the storyline, for the most part. As I said this is based on talking with him.

I'm lucky to have grinding for 6/7 parts for the set but the final part he needs, the truth is it's not worth it. It's actually not helped things between me and him because of other problems between us but despite it all he's still my best friend and I enjoy helping him, we get on to hang and have a good time, at least that's what we would prefer.

Honestly, and this just maybe me taking things too personally, but I feel like a failure as a friend who tries to do everything they can to help someone they genuinely care about..

Anywho I just wanted to put this out here after the discussion with my friend (same guy person I'm in love with, just so that's clear). Personally I think making half these credits people are asking for on prices is by selling cheap if you got the ability to do such things, me personally and I do believe he himself, my friend, aren't on this game to have a lot of credits at hand all the time to buy things we want, that's just not really a big deal to us because we're just here to have fun. A game is suppose to be a source of entertainment, not a job, especially for someone like him. This really upsets me as a friend to him and as someone who cares about him deeply. It's no wonder he leaves swtor so much as he does. It's not a relaxing game trying to work and find ways to make credits when in reality all he wants is to get on have fun and run a few flashpoints and whatnot after a stressful day at work and just relax. Not work to get something he wants when he works an already stressful job.

Add-on: On an actual personal note, nice to not be hassled by someone and actually have a decent discussion and agreement about an aspect of the game that's bad, makes me feel not so crazy and alone, why I love him. ;)

OK...this is like 99% about the love of your life, a man who has a job and who plays and quits the game as he likes...but he's far from dedicated to this game, clearly FAR less dedicated than you are...yet he wants the nice things others have...am I right so far?

Since he has a great, but stressful, job as a cop, why doesn't he do the logical thing and just buy Cartel Coins and sell his crates? He'd be able to buy the Revan mask in a day if he really wanted to.

See, Bioware gives players a fairly good choice when it comes to things like this...grind out credits in-game, or buy things that the players who do grind out those credits want to buy. That way, you and your best friend (the guy you're in love with), can pay real money to Bioware to get items that players who are more loyal and dedicated want to buy with their in-game credits that they've played hours per day for.

My point is...nothing on the GTN is overpriced...it is what it is and you can buy it or not. It's ALL cosmetic fluff, nothing needed to actually play the game. If you want something, grind out the credits to buy it. If you two wanted the Revan set you could have run dailies for a week straight and bought it outright on the GTN...or wait until the price lowered...or bought Cartel Coins to buy boxes which you could sell on the GTN and never need to worry about $ in-game again.

The GTN is what it is...let your friend invest something into the game if he wants it so bad...it's not meant as a way to punish players, it's meant to encourage them to play THIS game, not come and go...something he's unwilling to do.

This whole thread has sent red flags up in every direction possible for me...I need a day off to binge watch MTV's Catfish...

I just grind heroics over the course of two months on maybe 10 toons because all the gold or platinum items are ridiculously priced. I always chuckle when I see chest piece set with chest and gloves being sold at 85mil and two weeks before that it was 20mil-10mil. I managed to get some good deals on few items and rare emotes I wanted. I never spent more than 10mil on a item. Pretty much have to play a waiting game with GTN sellers until some reason kicks into what's left of their remaining brain cells, if any.

Thanks to their greed I am now sitting on nearly 100 million credits. My advise is mailing the seller and ask for a fixed price and hope they are accommodating. 70% they just flat out ignore you. Often I think the GTN is driven by bot sellers, unfortunately sometimes it's just some fool typing in too many digits on their screen and thinking it's going to sell.

Edited by DarkEcIipse

My point is...nothing on the GTN is overpriced..Catfish...

Tux it's fantastic that you are cool on spending whatever high price tag on said item that was probably 10x cheaper 2-3 years ago, but let's be realistic and cut out the BS. It's overpriced. It was overpriced 4 months ago, it was overpriced yesterday, and it's still overpriced now.

Just because you're willing to throw $100 and selling hyper-crates/buying credits from shady gold sellers and buying a platinum item for 250mil doesn't make it naturally occurring and makes it a FACT for the entire European and American servers as a way of life. You're the kind of people that are not helping the situation and encouraging ridiculous garbage prices we have to this day.

It's OVERPRICED. Just like BDO digital bound per character $30 costumes are overpriced. fortunately for us we have more control in changing it by not buying it for said price instantly on the market.

Edited by DarkEcIipse

I didn't read the entire OP rant.

But, I will just state that there is no issue with over-pricing on the GTN. The GTN is run by the players and, therefore, the players establish and maintain the pricing structure.

If you think something is too expensive, don't buy it. If enough other people agree, the price will come down. If other players find the prices to be fair, then you just have to accept that and get on board with it.

It's just a matter of practice... Not so log ago I was able to grab Xoxaan chestpiece for 20M (usually 40-50M on my server).

Bought classic Mandalore helmets (Indominable, Ultimate, Preserver), all for under 1M (some are for me, some are for resale later).

Just focus on what you want and check GTN every time you log in to do your dailies \ weeklies, be sure to check on weekend nights \ evenings and you'll be suprised how cheap you can get some stuff.

I believe the problem with overpriced items from cartel packs is somewhat mitigated by recent additions. Most new outfits are not included in cartel packs any longer.

Between the the adaptive gear vendor in the fleet, the contents of alliance crates (old outfits which are no longer accessible, but in many cases good looking ones, they must be collected as they bind to legacy, but in time it comes on its own), the contents of the command crates (which can and should be traded, and typically sell for much more reasonable prices, due to the much higher supply), there is quite a number of options.

It is frustrating that the supply from the cartel pack outfits is so limited. Everything that is good looking costs easily more one hundred million credits. As far as I am concerned it's therefore dead content and might as well be non-existant. But in spite of all this, it's not like we're out of options. Who knows, maybe your boyfriend likes Iokath Annihilator (from the Iokath Reputation vendor) if he likes Sith Recluse

I might also be also be wanting to use the actual stuff from tier 3 command crates for apparel. Meaning the equipment with actual stats on it.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Tux it's fantastic that you are cool on spending whatever high price tag on said item that was probably 10x cheaper 2-3 years ago, but let's be realistic and cut out the BS. It's overpriced. It was overpriced 4 months ago, it was overpriced yesterday, and it's still overpriced now.

Just because you're willing to throw $100 and selling hyper-crates/buying credits from shady gold sellers and buying a platinum item for 250mil doesn't make it naturally occurring and makes it a FACT for the entire European and American servers as a way of life. You're the kind of people that are not helping the situation and encouraging ridiculous garbage prices we have to this day.

It's OVERPRICED. Just like BDO digital bound per character $30 costumes are overpriced. fortunately for us we have more control in changing it by not buying it for said price instantly on the market.

You're mistaken.

The most I've ever spent was 10 million on a single item. I've sold other items for 10x's that though. I don't buy everything I "want" just to have it...I'm frugal. I run content I enjoy, buy a few packs every couple of weeks and sell everything I think has a higher value on the GTN than I think it has, which is nearly everything - tunings, dyes, companions are GOLD...there are hundreds of armor sets in this game, most are reskins to a huge degree...I make do with things I feel comfortable buying and nothing that I view as outrageously priced is anything I want...because it's not that important to me.

It's not that I think you're wrong for feeling how you do, so please stop attacking me, but if you REALLY want it, get his butt in-game to help you grind out credits. Shouldn't being with you and helping you out be enjoyable and stress free for him? Run daily missions, watch the GTN, craft, gather...you can make a crap ton of credits during a crafting week for Conquests...spend your time gathering things people need/want that you don't need/want. Buy low, sell high...any direct sale items will be worth a ton in a couple months...invest in something like that.

The GTN is NOT overpriced. Just like in the real world, it either sells or it doesn't. If it's overpriced, people won't buy it...as long as someone does though, it's not overpriced...it's just more than YOU can afford. Kinda like how I think Lamborghini's are overpriced...I REALLY freaking want one...I just can't afford one, but there are enough people who do see it as "affordable" (or worth it)...so it's not overpriced.

Wonder why I even bother responding to this thread. We have at least several posters reassuring people prices are totally fine. Don't bother mailing or haggling. Just buy that lightsaber or whatever set for 80-200mil. It's so not overpriced It's totally natural. :rolleyes:

I don't know who has told you not to try to get a price lowered, but they're wrong...email the seller. It's absolutely worth trying.

Getting as much as you can for what you're selling IS totally natural...why wouldn't it be??? I sell 99.99% of the items I have at the lowest price by about 10-20% because I don't want to waste time relisting it...I'd rather take a loss on the sale than a loss on my time to play the GTN...I have better things to do. However...if I could sell it for top $, you bet your bottom I would.

I always found popcorn at the movies overpriced, but I'll still get it. Doesn't mean the quality is worth the 5£ for a medium tub that doesn't cost them more than 1£ to make, or well the whole bag of corn costs 1£.:rak_03: Edited by Eshvara

I always found popcorn at the movies overpriced, but I'll still get it. Doesn't mean the quality is worth the 5£ for a medium tub that doesn't cost them more than 1£ to make, or well the whole bag of corn costs 1£.:rak_03:

Same...I'm a sucker for the smell of it dammit. $20 for a bucket of popcorn and a gallon of soda sucks...but it's in my head that it's worth it...:o

It's just a matter of practice... Not so log ago I was able to grab Xoxaan chestpiece for 20M (usually 40-50M on my server).

Bought classic Mandalore helmets (Indominable, Ultimate, Preserver), all for under 1M (some are for me, some are for resale later).

Just focus on what you want and check GTN every time you log in to do your dailies \ weeklies, be sure to check on weekend nights \ evenings and you'll be suprised how cheap you can get some stuff.

Hmmm. I do have the Mandalorian Hunter set collected, because I was looking for a mandalorian armour that does not cause clipping problems for twi'lek (and therefore the helmet was collected only for collecting itself, as closed helmets would make the lekku disappear).

However, the cheapest way to get an actually decent Mandalorian Armour at the moment are:

1) Mandalorian Enforcer, from tier 3 tier 1 command crates. They aren't particularly expensive, because a lot of folks throw tier 1 stuff on the market.

2) TT-17A Hydra from the adaptive gear vendor in the fleet. Total price... I think something between 10k and 15k credits. No requirements.

3) Armormech crafted Quadranium Onslaught asylum.

Edited by Rabenschwinge