Did Luke really force choke?

Aralt

Correct me if I'm wrong. But this game is C-Canon along with everyother game, besides eh, TFU(Because it was produced by Lucas). Actually, Game Novelizations are equally canon to regular EU books.

Movies

TV

Game Novels/Reg EU Novels

Thats how the list goes... I think.

Well, the cut scenes to the game or C Canon but even then we don't know whether the light/dark paths of the chars are canon or not. So it's hard to say.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EU comics are very very low on the canon totem poll so low that they aren't really canon anymore.

someone already probably pointed this out (I didn't read other posts after this daisy), but you are an idiot. EU comics (along with all other novels,comics, tv shows, etc that leeland chee & lucasfilm deams worthy)are just below G (see: stewjohn) canon, which is the highest canon there is.

aside from this, the force choke was supposed to show luke's struggle with the dark side. At the beginning of the movie, he was dressed in black, using force choke, etc, and then at the end he DIDN"T turn to the darkside, overcame it (unlike his father) and saved the galaxy whoop dee.

It's one of those things people never really get.

also Luke never strugles with the Darkside. He has that little moment in Empire but it's not like he has ever sought power. He has always done the right thing.

So his mad scream at Vader where he charges in swinging his lightsaber wildly and eventually cutting off Vader's hand, then looks down at his own black-gloved robot hand and realizing he's turning into his father... that's not him struggling with the dark side at all...

*IF* he had only knocked them out...

...why aren't they the ones knocking Luke/Han/Chewie into the Sarlaac?

/devilsadvocateOff

Hmm, put the heavy sluggish moving Gamorians on a desert skiff, or humanoids who are a dime a dozen at the local spaceport? My vote is for the Humanoids.

So his mad scream at Vader where he charges in swinging his lightsaber wildly and eventually cutting off Vader's hand, then looks down at his own black-gloved robot hand and realizing he's turning into his father... that's not him struggling with the dark side at all...

In the comic book series "Dark Empire" [Dark Horse Comics - '91-'92], Luke seriously flirts with the dark side under the tutilage of the Emperor's clone.

It's a good read

can i throw a spanner in the works and say his gesture indicates he was just using the force to push them out of the way. id say its more bad acting on the part of the people in the guard suits that grabbed at his throat.

besides that reading the 'tales of jabba's palace' books you find out the gammy guards are thick as they are ugly and they wouldnt understand why some human just pushed them across the room with just a finger wave so were more likely just panicking as they didnt understand what was going on.

someone above said if they werent killed why werent they the ones to guard han etc.. well the real life version of me says cost of getting them into makeup, but the sw word version says perhaps jabba had them killed for letting luke through.

He was pushing them back - using their throats to ensure they went backwards. But it wasn't a force choke, he never closes his hand.

No, it was a force choke. Just not a deadly Force Choke and it wasn't meant to kill.

He disarmed the guards and confuzzled them.

Luke uses the Force to choke the Gamorreans. It's pretty clear that's what happens when 1) His hand is crooked as though he is choking someone. (2 The Gamorrean on camera goes limp. And 3) there are gagging noises coming from the Gamorrean.

It's also pretty false to say that Luke never struggled with the Dark Side. The whole point of the final showdown with Darth Vader was to test if Luke could tap into his passions to defeat his father. He even touches darkness when he's in a blind rage and is hacking away at Vader's lightsaber and eventually cuts off his hand.

What keeps Luke from falling is that he sees his own mechanical hand and realizes he's on the same path is father trod down.

As far as I remember (Having read the comic when it first came out, years ago) Luke did, at that point, know how to defend himself against force choke.

In the comic where he learns to do this it is implied that force choke is a very old technique, and that the defensive technique is therefore really hard to come by. However, since he knows how to defend against it it is very plausible that he also knows how to use force choke, or at least the basic principle.

With in-depth knowledge of the technique it is also plausible that he's able to use it to merely incapacitate instead of kill. If he just knows the basic principle instead he probably does use force choke, but can't use it with enough force to kill something with as tough a physiology as a Gammorean, and he therefore doesn't have to worry about killing the guards.

Either way, there's a plausible explanation. Which, by the way is the reason that particular comic was written, someone probably came up with the brilliant idea to ask "Why didn't Vader force grip Luke in any of their duels?"

Retcon HO!

As far as I remember (Having read the comic when it first came out, years ago) Luke did, at that point, know how to defend himself against force choke.

In the comic where he learns to do this it is implied that force choke is a very old technique, and that the defensive technique is therefore really hard to come by. However, since he knows how to defend against it it is very plausible that he also knows how to use force choke, or at least the basic principle.

With in-depth knowledge of the technique it is also plausible that he's able to use it to merely incapacitate instead of kill. If he just knows the basic principle instead he probably does use force choke, but can't use it with enough force to kill something with as tough a physiology as a Gammorean, and he therefore doesn't have to worry about killing the guards.

Either way, there's a plausible explanation. Which, by the way is the reason that particular comic was written, someone probably came up with the brilliant idea to ask "Why didn't Vader force grip Luke in any of their duels?"

Retcon HO!

Don't recall that comic but if it's old it's been ret-conned long ago. The technique for blocking force choke would be the same for blocking force push or most other force moves. Putting up an invisible barrier around yourself to block out the attacks.

I think it's pretty clear Luke did use Force Choke--to disable, not to kill. Could he have rendered the guards unconscious in another fashion? Probably, but in its own way, this was one of the less violent methods. The thing is, most techniques within the Force are dependent upon the user's mindset as to whether they're Light or Dark. If Luke had no malice or intent to kill, even if he used Force Choke, it's not Dark Side. Remember that he eventually learned to use Force Lightning (as had Plo Koon before him) as a Light Side technique.

Yes he does, you can clearly see one of them grabbing at its throat. Honestly though, I was more surprised to see Sylar "force choke" someone. Seriously though, Luke is certainly his father's son. **edit** He just made a better choice when it came down to it. Edited by Chassit