Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

You cancelled your subscription because chat bubbles were never implemented? And Pfft, chat bubbles are training wheels for RPers, only noobs need chat bubbles. Hardcore RPers don't need that! :rak_03:

. . . . . Chat Bubbles are

Edited by anonnn

Well count me as a noob who misses SWG chat bubbles, I mean each of the 14 ones.
Thanks for posting this. I didn't know there was a list of all of them. They were awesome. TOR could have bubbles that are stylized to fit the art of the game, of course, but it would be cool to have all the different bubbles and chat types SWG had.

You cancelled your subscription because chat bubbles were never implemented? And Pfft, chat bubbles are training wheels for RPers, only noobs need chat bubbles. Hardcore RPers don't need that! :rak_03:
I somehow doubt a roleplayer would even use the term you've used to describe another roleplayer. ;)

What I do know, however, is that a considerable amount of classy, veteran roleplayers that had been roleplaying in MMORPGs for 10+ years (and before and during that in muds, Pen & Paper RPGs, etc.) and left The Old Republic over the past couple of years mainly because the game is missing chat bubbles, so it's far from an isolated case.

Edited by Glzmo

Thanks for posting this. I didn't know there was a list of all of them. They were awesome. TOR could have bubbles that are stylized to fit the art of the game, of course, but it would be cool to have all the different bubbles and chat types SWG had.

You're welcome and if I remember well, like 2 years ago the devs explained chat bubbles totally killed the frame rate in game that's why they never implemented them.

In fact they did during beta but removed them, at least that's what I have been told.

I was just kind of daydreaming about what it'll be like if they finally put Chat Bubbles into the game, and I thought of this possibility:

What if the duplicate Chat-Bubble-text in the chat log could be clicked to "re-create" that one chat bubble over the speaker's head?

• 2 weeks later...
Already given my support before in a little longer post, but I'll do it again. This is a great idea and the developers needs to take it seriously.

they did try it, it caused severe performance and lag issues, the game engine I think can't handle it.

• 3 weeks later...
True, but that does not mean they have suddenly decided to change their minds now has it?

The span of time between the initial BioWare statement of performance issues, and the current moment is enough time to try many alternative implementations for Chat Bubbles. For all we know, they're putting the finishing touches on their Chat Bubbles 1.0 implementation and just want it to be a surprise to all the players when Chat Bubbles are released in a major upcoming patch.

still the same engine so do the math.

ppl need to learn to let go it aint gonna happen lol

. . . . . . . . **SMACK**

.___________________

/ . you ain't nothin but a. \

\ . . rude meanie ! . . . . . /

. . .. . \/

. . . :jawa_tongue:

Edited by anonnn

I think that chat bubbles got filed under 'things that RP'ers want' and since RP'ers are considered the minority population of MMORPG's, they are not a priority. Not having chat bubbles in a game that makes a big deal out of storyline and dialog options is a major mistake.

I think that chat bubbles got filed under 'things that RP'ers want' and since RP'ers are considered the minority population of MMORPG's, they are not a priority. Not having chat bubbles in a game that makes a big deal out of storyline and dialog options is a major mistake.

Perhaps infiltrating the non-RP player community and start requesting chat bubbles there is our only hope now? It shouldn't be needed really, but since EA bought them I think the above is sadly true.

I still think that chat bubbles, at least for group use would be useful to all players to some degree, with a toggle to shut it off of course.

For group use, and for Stronghold use, I think would be a really good place to introduce chat bubbles ASAP. The performance issues likely don't happen if it's not open-world chat bubbles where absolutely everyone's broadcasted chat (/yell, /say, /emote) shows up as bubbles.

What are you talking about? GSH is all about RP...you got your own RP mini-xpac.