New Expansion

Muskaan

I think it's time for SWTOR to announce their first box expansion with a targeted release date of Q3-4 2014.

There's a lot of negative publicity around the game which is harming the game. The promise of a new box expansion 15-18 months from now will drive the hype back up for the game that so many of us have grown to love. It also gives a great sign to the naysayers that SWTOR is moving forward quickly. people will once again have something to talk about and look forward to.

Edited by Muskaan
Added "box" expansion based on Gangrel's feedback

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, like the one above me said, the expansion was announced at e3

Content Patch != expansion.

Expansion is like the next boxed large content release with a new title, trailers and everything -- SWTOR 2.0

Drives hype back real fast.

Content Patches based of 1.xx.xx will continue on till the expansion is released.

2014 :confused:

Do you realize that's 2 years and half from launch date?? If there's any by next year, BW will suffer a loss in subscribers even more.

1.4 is pretty much an expansion. Or did you miss that whole E3 video?

http://www.swtor.com/info/media/trailers/preview-exciting-new-reveals-e3

There seems to be some misunderstanding here between content patch and expansion.

An expansion is a massive content patch which actually bumps the revision number up -- i.e. SWTOR 2.0

What they announced in E3 were content patch based on current release - 1.4, 1.5 etc

Content patches == short term goals -- 1.3, 1.4, 1.5

Expansion == long term goal. --- 2.0, 3.0 etc

The amount of stuff offered in this so called 'content patch' of yours is pretty significant.

Sorry, OP, you have no leg to stand on in this argument. Stuff was announced already. You just missed it, so you're covering up your embarrassment.

There seems to be some misunderstanding here between content patch and expansion.

An expansion is a massive content patch which actually bumps the revision number up -- i.e. SWTOR 2.0

What they announced in E3 were content patch based on current release - 1.4, 1.5 etc

Many games give content patches as paid expansions in the MMO world FYI, an expansion is anything that you pay to add stuff to the game.

The amount of stuff offered in this so called 'content patch' of yours is pretty significant.

Sorry, OP, you have no leg to stand on in this argument. Stuff was announced already. You just missed it, so you're covering up your embarrassment.

Do you not understand the simple difference between a content patch and an expansion?

For Wow for example---

Dragon soul was Patch 4.3 -- this was a content patch for the Cataclysm expansion

Mists of Pandaria is a new expansion

What BW announced at E3 was future content patches and not expansion. /sigh

No, I understand.

But if your issue is 'Bioware needs to announce something to keep people interested...'

They've already done that. It doesn't matter if it's called an 'expansion' or 'Content update' or 'Your Mom.' So your argument is invalid.

BW is not going to announce everything they have coming all at once.

EDIT: and if we're arguing against WoW here, then how many times has WoW added a new area with enough playtime to fill the playtime of an entire game or a new race outside of an Expansion Pack?

Edited by ChaosKirin

No, I understand.

But if your issue is 'Bioware needs to announce something to keep people interested...'

They've already done that. It doesn't matter if it's called an 'expansion' or 'Content update' or 'Your Mom.' So your argument is invalid.

BW is not going to announce everything they have coming all at once.

It's not about announcing something. It's about announcing some HUGE like a new expansion altogether.

Clearly you have never been to an expansion announcement in any other MMO before.

It's not about announcing something. It's about announcing some HUGE like a new expansion altogether.

Clearly you have never been to an expansion announcement in any other MMO before.

This IS a massive update. This is HUGE. New level cap, MASSIVE amount of added story, new race... What does it matter if they call it 'expansion'? To me, it seems like adding a planet with enough content to keep me busy the same amount of time it would take me to play through, say, Ocarina of Time is a LOT more than they're offering in World of Pandacraft.

Just because they don't do everything the way WoW does doesn't mean it isn't the same thing wrapped in different clothing. If you call a rose an arsemasterbud, it's still a rose.

Too soon to release but not too soon to announce. :)

Too soon for both. BioWare needs to concentrate on getting stuff in that is still needed and fixing things that have been wrong since launch. With the rate the populations have been dropping, I think announcing an expansion would be a huge mistake, at this point.

No he's not. He's got a point though I think his Q3-4 '14 is too far out.

If BW comes out and says that they're never doing pay-for expansions and all new content and game mechanics will be released through free patches then yes, he doesn't have a leg to stand on. But many/most MMOs release a full blown expansion(s) with typical pricing of 50%-100% of original box cost.

I expect their first expansion will likely contain their big ideas for space that they've barely hinted at saying only that it's in the works with no concrete statements about whether it's free 3-axis flight, PvP, co-op missions/pvp, etc etc. I'd also expect to see class stories be progressed in an expansion.

Too soon to release but not too soon to announce. :)

If such an expansion was announced, there's a good chance people would let their subs run out and say they'll come back when the expansion happens. Then, there's a good chance that those people won't come back around.

The best times to announce an expansion are when the game is either already popular and feeling good, or when it's not doing so well and the expansion will be released sooner rather than later.

Edited by psi_overtake

the problem is you are comparing it to WoW, things that WoW called "expansions" are content updates in other games.

New races and increased level caps in Horizons were content updates

Eve Online expansions were content updates (with new features)

every single Lineage 2 expansion with a "fancy name" were free content updates.

While we are on the subject of WoW, lets see what they add in their "expansions"

New races

New areas

New dungeons/raids

New PVP zones

Increased level cap

what did they announce for TOR at E3?

New race - Cathar

New areas - Makeb

New operation - Terror from Beyond

New PVP zone - Ancient Hypergates

Increased level cap

they only thing they DIDN'T do......... was give it a NAME..

I understand what is the difference between Content and Expansion , been playing MMOs for 10 years. I still stand to my statement again, 2014 is a long wait for a new Expansion. Yet, also too early to announce one since we got all these contents (1.4/1.5) flowing around.

Edited by Skyraven

In addition, there was never a number put on this content update. It was never stated 'hey, this is 1.4 gize!' it could very well be 2.0, and then it WOULD make it the droid... er, expansion... you're looking for.

I don't see how you don't get this.

I understand what is the difference between Content and Expansion , been playing MMOs for 10 years. I still stand to my statement again, 2014 is a long wait for a new Expansion

Released in Q4 2011, so 2 years is the best you can hope for the release of the new expansion. Being the first expansion I added 6 months to it. So, Q2-3 2014 for 2.0

That doesn't mean that they should stop doing the regular content patches 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 ..., 1.9 leading upto 2.0

If such an expansion was announced, there's a good chance people would let their subs run out and say they'll come back when the expansion happens. Then, there's a good chance that those people won't come back around.

This is a possibility, yes. So the content patches leading up to the expansion needs to be very strong.