Is it really viable to try to resettle Taris?

viewtifuldee

So, most of the quests on Taris dealt with attempting to resettle the planet, but with the rakghouls, nexu, and other mutated wildlife, it just seems a nut...pointless. Should the Republic just consider Taris a lost cause and use the money for, say, the war against the Empire?

I think they should. I mean, it's been 300 years and progress has been minimal.

Edited by viewtifuldee

I've only played Empire-side Taris so far, but I was generally under the impression that the whole point of the Republic trying to resettle the planet was based around the fact that it hadn't been done, and that it "couldn't" be done. It's a political move, designed around the idea that anything can be done by people willing to work hard enough for it without losing hope.

I think they should. I mean, it's been 300 years and progress has been minimal.

Republic side, one of the title cards or quest texts said they'd only been there for 10 years. So basically, this is a post-war effort.

I was surprised they let it rot for that long.

The Rakghoul issue alone makes Taris impossible to recolonize. The moment they realized the planet was populated with billions of feral monsters who only needed to scratch you to turn you into one, they should have pulled back into orbit and glassed the planet.

Why the planet isn't quarantined, with a fleet stationed to destroy any ship trying to leave, is beyond my comprehension.

Ultimately the decision to take on that kind operation isn't really due to the obvious benefits of doing so. Because with Taris I don't know that there are any. Its ultimately really about the intangible and secondary benefits that emerge. For example, cleaning up Taris may yield new medial technology resulting from dealing with the Rakghouls, environmental or construction technology stemming from the clean up and rebuilding. There are also potential political benefits, etc. Also the rebuilding is ultimately a gamble because it may turn out to be a huge waste of capital and resources. In my mind it would be a pretty bold move to make the attempt and ultimately worth the effort regardless of the outcome.

The Rakghoul issue alone makes Taris impossible to recolonize. The moment they realized the planet was populated with billions of feral monsters who only needed to scratch you to turn you into one, they should have pulled back into orbit and glassed the planet.

Why the planet isn't quarantined, with a fleet stationed to destroy any ship trying to leave, is beyond my comprehension.

What gets me is why didn't the just orbital strike the crap at of Taris and kill all the Rakghouls?

What gets me is why didn't the just orbital strike the crap at of Taris and kill all the Rakghouls?

I said this.

Guv'nor Suresh: I need you to kill lots of Rak-ghouls!!!

Jedi Me: Why? Have you seen those things? If I get Bitten you have force using Rak-ghoul and i am pretty ******.

Guv'nor: Do you use logic at me!!!

Jedi Me: Seriously why not orbitally bombard them back to the stone age? Like they should have done in that crappy film Avatar. Seriously we have the tech to fly millions of miles to get to that planet and we can't nuke em? - Anyhoo... Tell you what i got this new space ship and i have seriously decked it out I ciould hop in there and strafe the area for you. No charge cos i am a Jedi.

Guv'nor Suresh: ...

Jedi Me: Yeah thats what i thought...

I kinda scratched my head too when I was questing there Empire-side. When Thana told me there was a civilian vessel trying to leave the port we were about to blow up I kinda had to stop for a moment, like "Uh, what exactly does the Republic think it's doing trying to put civilians down in this hell-hole?" I can understand wanting to reclaim it, but setting up a colony in the midst of infestation? Okay...

There was already an orbital bombardment of Taris, and it didn't do much to destroy the rakghoul presence the first time. :p I also imagine that destroying a potentially habitable world is a big no no for the Republic. I can see the Empire doing it if there wasn't a Republic presence and they weren't trying to deny them a political victory.

Morale aside, I'm pretty sure its the only planet in the Seat of the Empire sector we Pubs get.

Its an ideal staging ground, which is awesome enough. You'd need non-coms to get things aside soldiering done, like food, water and power.

Also? Rakghouls cant infect force sensitive people, last I checked. Throw Jedi at the problem.

They do eventually clean it up and get some settlers there, at least that what it says in Empire at War. It wasn't completely cleaned up but they made it somewhat habitable.

In the Legacy of the Force -novel series, that character killing waste of trees, Taris is back to it's pre-bombardment situation in 40 ABY. An ecumenopolis with a deeply stratified society, with those who have the most having the sunlight and those who lack money lack also sunlight.

According to the Trooper story line, Rakghouls are a Sith created virus.

They can't bomb the planet because it would make recovery that much harder and in some instances, release chemical's stored in bunkers that would render whole areas uninhabitable at all. not to mention that the rakghouls are slowly becoming a sentient force sensetive species in the bowels of Taris.

The settlements on Taris are relief workers, researchers, mercenaries who protect them, they are investigating the geographic possiblility of recover, the science behind the rakghoul plaque, they aren't just landing back on the planet and living in bombed out houses like nothing happened.