Jedi and Robes

Stenrik

Something has been bothering me about the Jedi culture: the robe thing.

The very first time we see Obi Wan in The New Hope, he's in a desert, where EVERYONE wears robes.

Perhaps Obi Wan and Luke were expressing their desert culture more than their Jedi culture in their choice of dress during the movie, but since all the moviegoers associated jedi with robes after the movie, it's like Lucas just kind of "rolled with it."

I get how they look kinda "religious" so maybe that was the idea too... but the sheer impracticality of having long pieces of cloth getting in the way of one's glowbat does seem to offset that reasoning.

Maybe the robes symbolize a jedi's vulnerability to reinforce the idea that the lightsaber is their offence AND defense? Still though, seems like that could've been communicated with loose fitting pants/shirt.

So is there something I'm missing here as to why all Jedi seem to prefer robes in the lore?

Edited by Stenrik

The reason Jedi wear robes is to blend in, or to not draw attention. If you notice from the movies people do not recognize them immediately just because they are wearing robes. This must mean that this is common apparel.

These robes keep them from being exposed in harsh climates where they may be required to serve the order.

Besides that not all Jedi wear robes even in the movies.

The reason Jedi wear robes is to blend in, or to not draw attention. If you notice from the movies people do not recognize them immediately just because they are wearing robes. This must mean that this is common apparel.

These robes keep them from being exposed in harsh climates where they may be required to serve the order.

I guess that tactic doesn't really work in this game though, as everyone you meet goes "oh hey, master jedi, I'm honored, now help me with this thing over here". Everyone recognizes you, even on backwater planets like Tatooine! :p

Edited by Ekas

I guess that tactic doesn't really work in this game though, as everyone you meet goes "oh hey, master jedi, I'm honored, now help me with this thing over here". Everyone recognizes you, even on backwater planets like Tatooine! :p

That was an opportunity missed, IMO. Sure, most people should recognize you as a Jedi, since you sort of walk around with your lightsaber out and all. But there should have been more missions where you could "hide your lightsaber" and pose as common folk.

There are missions for other classes like the Smuggler where he "improvises" by posing as the enemy ("By the Stars! Republic forces are invading our base!") but we really don't see that too often as the Jedi classes. Weird, since one is specifically trained in stealth and espionage. It would have been nice to feel like a Shadow sometimes, especially since the first story arc is all about healing sick Jedi (obviously written with a Sage in mind.)

-Macheath.