Marauder vs Assassin

Ifrit

I am thinking of rolling a new character. I don't know much about the melee classes so it will be a great learning experience for me. Could people please give me the general idea of each of these classes and specs so I can better pick my next character? The ups and downs to each of them in PVP. I don't care about pve ... I would also be dps spec

I am hoping for feedback like Merc Arsenal is a high dps class, but has low mobility. Merc Pyro still has considerable dps, through dots, and is more mobile. etc.

Edited by Ifrit

I have a bm sin and almost bm marauder.

Sin pros:

stupidly easy medals(not an issue anymore)

stealth

knockback

tank offspec/mainspec

some damage not effected by armor

Stun

Ranged snare

Speed

Marauder pros:

Heal debuff

Easier resource management(imo)

Steadier damage

Higher overall damage

Charge

Defense

I couldnt decide, got marauder close to bm and rolled sin. Overall i prefer my marauder, though you might find that different. In a fight between my two, marauder would win since i dont like tank spec on sin. Tank spec sin, would give mara trouble.

Well in PvE Marauders are super-squishy. I outlevel mobs by 2-4 and still get withing an inch of dying and that's with my CD's.

In PvP, I do pretty well. But I hear good players always target the Marauders/Sentinels first, because healers can't outheal them.

Assassin did pretty well PvE, but I never PvP'd with him, so I can't help you there

Well in PvE Marauders are super-squishy. I outlevel mobs by 2-4 and still get withing an inch of dying and that's with my CD's.

In PvP, I do pretty well. But I hear good players always target the Marauders/Sentinels first, because healers can't outheal them.

Assassin did pretty well PvE, but I never PvP'd with him, so I can't help you there

Once i got quinn early on, never had a pve problem. Just keep him geared.

Having both to 50 it comes down to

Sins

Can tank spec

better CC

more utility

Has a range melee hybrid tree

set bonuses actually do something useful

Mara

better mobility (can spec for a second gap closer gap closer has way less cd

better damage in DPS spec vs DPS spec

Way better survivability DPS spec vs DPS spec (you can argue madness has better since it has more self-healing but it's damage is crap long duration dots which while padding the numbers do very little in reality so more survival for damage dealt favors mara)

Does not look like a cyborg chicken with crystals growing out of it

Having both to 50 it comes down to

set bonuses actually do something useful

I have to comment on this, since I find this an issue (I agree with you 100%)

Set bonuses for Marauders are a joke. Really, really useless.

I don't care if my throw costs 3 or 2 rage, since I never have a rage problem.

Reduced CD on Frenzy is okay but it doesn't change much. In a 15 minute warzone it wouldn't even give you 1 extra cast.

Reduced CD on Undying Rage is useless.

5 meter increase in throw is not really needed