Chat is still not working!

BigAbes

UPDATE! FIXED!!- see page 3 for info

I had this same problem in beta! I can type text in the window- ENTER does not work. I searched the forums and it looks like I'm the only one here. Anyone know how to fix this

? Is it just some setting??

Edited by BigAbes

I found it is odd how the chat works. You donot seem to automatically go to a "say" for example. Instead, you have to type in /say...then type in what you want to say in chat. If in a party, you would type in /p then type and hit enter, etc.

SO you are typing that into a console line or something? How do you get that up?

SO you are typing that into a console line or something? How do you get that up?

He's not typing it into a console, just the normal chat window.

It's letting you type into the chat but not sending when you press Return if I'm understanding you correct.

Does pressing Enter work?

Is there any where in the Key Binding page within Preferences to bind the chat function to another key?

He's not typing it into a console, just the normal chat window.

It's letting you type into the chat but not sending when you press Return if I'm understanding you correct.

Does pressing Enter work?

Is there any where in the Key Binding page within Preferences to bind the chat function to another key?

Right I can type just fine...I hit ENTER and the text just stays there. it never gets sent- no matter what channel I select. I would really like to know if there is some other way to map that enter chat key myself. At this point- I don't care what key enters the text, as long as I have a a way to do it!

I have looked all over- I guess there is no .ini file that can be edited to change the key bind? I think my game is being delivered tomorrow- I'm going to keep looking around in the meantime, but I may just try re-installing with the actual disks and see if that fixes it.

Anyone know if there is anything special you have to do to do a complete re-install - other than just uninstall the old client and install the new?

OK - I have tried re-installing the game with the actual game CDs. I have run a repair on the launcher. I've searched and googled till I'm blue in the face. I've put in tickets and just got a canned response. Bioware please!! This makes this game virtually unplayable!

No matter what i do I cannot CHAT!!! On any channel- grouped or ungrouped- anything! This is getting to be ridiculous. If this doesn't get fixed soon I will have no choice but to just stop playing and cancel my subscription (and that is the LAST THING I WANT TO DO!) as this is relegating me to just a single player RPG and that is not what this game is. It's a basic function of the game!!

Escalate this issue and let's get this thing fixed- at least a workaround would be nice- ANYTHING!! Please!

Ok, if you changed the key bind to open the chat line, it will be the same to enter the text into the chat. To find this key bind go to the preferences menu, select the key bind tab, then chat menu. In the chat menu there is a key bind that says open chat. I hope that it works for you.

My guess is you need to make sure one star wars GUI window is not in front of the other. Are you running a really low resolution? Try increasing the screen resolution and also try grabbing the lower right hand corner of the chat window and resizing it so you can get to the chat window without it being under another window.(even though it looks fine some of the windows are transparent)

Another idea is to make sure you run the game as administrator.

Right click on the shortcut to run the game and RUN AS ADMIN

Another idea is to go through all the programs you running in your task manager and make sure you exit out of them.

Also try running the game in both windowed and full screen this could at least lead to a solution if one or the other works for you.

Good luck.

My guess is you need to make sure one star wars GUI window is not in front of the other. Are you running a really low resolution? Try increasing the screen resolution and also try grabbing the lower right hand corner of the chat window and resizing it so you can get to the chat window without it being under another window.(even though it looks fine some of the windows are transparent)

Another idea is to make sure you run the game as administrator.

Right click on the shortcut to run the game and RUN AS ADMIN

Another idea is to go through all the programs you running in your task manager and make sure you exit out of them.

Also try running the game in both windowed and full screen this could at least lead to a solution if one or the other works for you.

Good luck.

Thanks for taking the time to help- I don't think any of these are my issue though. I'm running at hi-res. I'm not having any problems viewing the chat or typing in it. It's just after I type my message- IT WONT ENTER.

I have re-sized the chat window- turned it off and on, etc... I always make sure I don't have extra processes running, so I know that's not it. I will give the RUN AS ADMIN a shot as well as Windowed mode. Anything is worth a shot at this point! I will update this thread if any of those work. Thanks again!

Ok, if you changed the key bind to open the chat line, it will be the same to enter the text into the chat. To find this key bind go to the preferences menu, select the key bind tab, then chat menu. In the chat menu there is a key bind that says open chat. I hope that it works for you.

Thanks Ghostbearr! I looked in there for a bind that may be off. I will fiddle with that one and see if it helps! Hoping one of you guys will be my hero!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!:)

Thanks Ghostbearr! I looked in there for a bind that may be off. I will fiddle with that one and see if it helps! Hoping one of you guys will be my hero!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!:)

That was it!! I went in to that bind and it was set to 'O' for some reason? I changed it to ENTER and voila I can enter text now! Thanks a million Ghostbear! Never would have thought it was that key. Thanks everyone who helped!