The Expertise stat has to go...

uhhhhahhhhohahh

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I'M GOING TO EXPLAIN WHY EXPERTISE IS NEEDED!!! People are confusing expertise with gear progression.

For our example, I'll take away expertise. There is no expertise anymore in the game.

But we still have gear progression meaning tier 1, tier 2, tier 3 armor and weapons.

Now tell me, A VALOR 60+ PLAYER IN FULL BATTLEMASTER VS A FRESH 50. The gears do not have expertise. What do you think will happen? Do you think the the fresh 50 will somewhat miraculously have a chance? Of course not. With or without expertise, that fresh 50 is going to get rolled BECAUSE OF GEAR!!!! BECAUSE THERE IS GEAR PROGRESSION.

Expertise is there so that people who raid will not be able to suddenly go to warzones and wreck pvpers through gear. It's the only reason expertise is there.

That's why it needs to be gear AND expertise. Everything needs to be equal. The fresh 50 will not win for one reason only in this case: skill. The valor 60+ player will be SO much better that they will obviously win! Why must players be rewarded for playing more when they are most likely already better at their class!??!

You do not have to finish with the most kills in a warzone to get champion bags. You can get them via team wins or ilum quests.

/discussion.

There is nothing preventing a new 50 from getting the gear. This is nothing but PVE carebears wanting to roll people in PVP.

Pretty much. It would then turn into wow, where you would have to pve first before attempting PvP. Now you don't have to. Sure its a grind, but when isn't something in an mmo a grind? Everyone will get there eventually and be equal apart from skill, where the true players will shine through.

To the people that want to REMOVE GEAR PROGRESSION.

It will probably be nice. You don't have to grind and everyone is equal and so on.

But it will never happen. This is a MMO that is modeled to cater the majority which basically means gear progression will always be here.

That's why it needs to be gear AND expertise. Everything needs to be equal. The fresh 50 will not win for one reason only in this case: skill. The valor 60+ player will be SO much better that they will obviously win! Why must players be rewarded for playing more when they are most likely already better at their class!??!

Ok, you win. I agree. I give you a cookie or something. Too bad it will never happen. They will never take away gear progression.

Edited by xxdragonragexx

Question is, why shouldnt they?

OK I'M GOING TO EXPLAIN WHY EXPERTISE IS NEEDED!!! People are confusing expertise with gear progression.

For our example, I'll take away expertise. There is no expertise anymore in the game.

But we still have gear progression meaning tier 1, tier 2, tier 3 armor and weapons.

Now tell me, A VALOR 60+ PLAYER IN FULL BATTLEMASTER VS A FRESH 50. The gears do not have expertise. What do you think will happen? Do you think the the fresh 50 will somewhat miraculously have a chance? Of course not. With or without expertise, that fresh 50 is going to get rolled BECAUSE OF GEAR!!!! BECAUSE THERE IS GEAR PROGRESSION.

Expertise is there so that people who raid will not be able to suddenly go to warzones and wreck pvpers through gear. It's the only reason expertise is there.

Search for "Wards" or "Ward" and "Warhammer", or check my post history for recent posts regarding the idea.

If PVP needs a reward system, then have it apply expertise to your character, not gear. It has no use outside of PVP, but while in PVP it "activates". The higher the valor you have, the more "expertise" your character earns.

I hate a system where you have to "swap gear" constantly. EverQuest 2 had a style where every ability you had did something different depending on if you were PVPing or PVEing. If you hit a mob with a super hit, you did 15,000 damage. If you used the same ability on a player, it did 3,000 damage. No gear changes needed. It auto applied to skills....not gear.

this is a great idea! :D

and some1 else mentioned a % per every 10 valor ranks.

Easy Solution to PvP outside of bugs and imbalance:

1. give players a gear score

2. rank players based on valor rank and the gear score

3. group servers into "battlegroups" so when you Q for a warzone you Q with many other servers.

4. some *********** entry level pvp gear (player made gems/gear)

Pvp doesn't seem "broken" but it does seem a bit ****ed up, on my server (the harbinger) republic gets rolled Hard and it just seems like a huge difference in gear. I'm not sure if that is due to the Sith having been more active in pvp or exploiting it or both but its frustrating to a point that even though i never post on game forums (5years in wow 0 forum posts) here I am, ************ about pvp having just come from a crushing defeat on Alderaan. I love the idea of pvp in a MMO but whats the point if the avg. life expectancy of everyone on my team is like 1 min. Say what you will about world of warcraft, battlegrounds kicked *** I still remember my 1st grinds in Alteric valley fighting my way to SP then across the bridge into Dun Baldir. Know what I remember about star wars pvp? Getting rolled hard by the opposition and i cant do **** about it. So please see the steps above and get on it Devs. Not sure about the rest of you but if things dont change I'm heading back to wow for some solid pvp, with the right enchantment anything can look like a lightsaber.

3. group servers into "battlegroups" so when you Q for a warzone you Q with many other servers.

Pvp doesn't seem "broken" but it does seem a bit ****ed up, on my server (the harbinger) republic gets rolled Hard and it just seems like a huge difference in gear. I'm not sure if that is due to the Sith having been more active in pvp or exploiting it or both but its frustrating to a point that even though i never post on game forums (5years in wow 0 forum posts) here I am, ************ about pvp having just come from a crushing defeat on Alderaan. I love the idea of pvp in a MMO but whats the point if the avg. life expectancy of everyone on my team is like 1 min. Say what you will about world of warcraft, battlegrounds kicked *** I still remember my 1st grinds in Alteric valley fighting my way to SP then across the bridge into Dun Baldir. Know what I remember about star wars pvp? Getting rolled hard by the opposition and i cant do **** about it. So please see the steps above and get on it Devs. Not sure about the rest of you but if things dont change I'm heading back to wow for some solid pvp, with the right enchantment anything can look like a lightsaber.

O God not Gear score!

Stop right there. In every other non-mmo game, the biggest reward is skill over time. You get BETTER at the game you are playing if you put more time into it. That's what PvP needs to be about. Skill and that's it. Not gear nor anything else that gives players that play more an unfair advantage.

I beg to differ, I have played many mmos where there were really bad players who got gear then became passable. Still bad but atleast now they could do their job.

Without expertise, how am I supposed to beat two significantly less skilled players? They'll kill me after I get just one of them down :(

Without expertise, how it's fair that pure PvE carebear with ~10 valor rank could run rampart and be equally as good as those with 60+ valor rank and full PvP gear?

Expertise is here to remove the need to do PvE for item X, if it's PvP you want to play.

Expertise is here to remove the need to do PvP for item Y, if it's PvE you want to play.

Expertise is here to not allow that top tier Operation weapon drop to be best in slot for PvP player, and the other way around (because expertise is wasted stat in PvE)

the extra stat is on the wrong gear.

if you insist on an extra stat it should be for raid gear

tier 1 raid gear has stat that makes tier 2 raid possible/easier

tier 2 raid gear has stat that makes tier2 and tier3 raids possible/easier

etc

I can agree with this idea as in many other mmo games its always the one who is more op or has more "PVP Stat/s" that wins.

Another idea could be to implement Warzone 'Expertise tiers' where instead of you just vs any lvl 50 you vs other lvl 50's in war-zones which are around the same lvl of expertise as you. e.g. 50-100 in expertise stat difference (different numbers possibly).

This way the expertise stat stay and the pure PvP player play with other pure PvP players, where as those casual PvP'ers without the gear can go up against other casual PvP'ers.

I think this would keep the pure pvp players happy as they would play with 'generally' pure pvp players and it would keep casuals happy as they wouldn't get their butts kicked, in warzones, by the Pure PvP'ers.

that's my 2 cents put in. =P

Please quote/reply on this idea (OP i would like to hear your input especially).

Edited by Chiffy
Add more Info

if you insist on an extra stat it should be for raid gear

tier 1 raid gear has stat that makes tier 2 raid possible/easier

tier 2 raid gear has stat that makes tier2 and tier3 raids possible/easier

etc

If the extra stat would be on PvE gear, that would make it better for PvP. And only make PvE gear better for PvE, while not making PvP gear better for PvP.

PvE Item (not real, but to give example):

110 Aim

75 Endurance

PvE Extra stat

PvP Item (not real, but to give example):

85 Aim

100 Endurance

If i would be playing dps in PvP, i would 100% sure choose the PvE item for bigger burst/dmg numbers. Even as healer i would choose the given PvE item for PvP (higher health pool only allows me to take more dmg, without healing myself, before i die.)

However, if that 'extra stat' is in PvP gear and PvP releated (like it is currently):

* The PvE item would still be better for PvE

* The PvP item would be better for PvP

So yes, the 'extra stat' is on the right gear.

Edited by Viikuna

If the extra stat would be on PvE gear, that would make it better for PvP. And only make PvE gear better for PvE, while not making PvP gear better for PvP.

PvE Item (not real, but to give example):

110 Aim

75 Endurance

PvE Extra stat

PvP Item (not real, but to give example):

85 Aim

100 Endurance

If i would be playing dps in PvP, i would 100% sure choose the PvE item for bigger burst/dmg numbers. Even as healer i would choose the given PvE item for PvP (higher health pool only allows me to take more dmg, without healing myself, before i die.)

However, if that 'extra stat' is in PvP gear and gear PvP releated (like it is currently):

* The PvE item would still be better for PvE

* The PvP item would be better for PvP

So yes, the 'extra stat' is on the right gear.

another not real example:

endgame item:

85 aim

100 endurance

armour slot:

raid reward: changes item to exclusive skin, pve extra stat (modifies damage/healing/defence in raids only)

pvp reward: changes item to exclusive skin, counts towards set bonus

Makes pvp less about gear, doesn't give pve gear an advantage in pvp