AP Powertech Viability?

JediGuardian

no, skanktank shield spec is best one imao.

Oh come on, most of the abilities are horrid. Oil slick, translocate. Get rid of those for some decent abilities, I'd use shield. Like to see a gun ability for AP and gut slide over to tank. And I don't know if there is the same ability for ST that there is for AP where the rail shot is always able to be used, but that should also come over to shield.

Then I'd use tank. Till then, meh.

In PVP they're in a really bad spot. Read the many posts in this section about it. I play all 8 ACs with a Sorc as my main and find this class the squishiest by far. Yes burst is great, but survivability is just awful.

Is the class build on dulfy still pretty much the way to go for AP(Dec 2016)? I haven't really noticed any difference since I played last year PVE wise. I've yet to venture back into PVP.

From the 5.2 theory crafter: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=918622

Powertech - Advanced Prototype || Vanguard - Tactics

9306+-477 DPS @ 51.4 APM | 8348 Endurance | 6662 Mastery (1xC) | 3776 Power

1760 Critical (2xE, 11xA, 1xC) | 1540 Alacrity (7xE) | 748 Accuracy (1xE, 3xA, Stim)

Oh come on, most of the abilities are horrid. Oil slick, translocate. Get rid of those for some decent abilities, I'd use shield. Like to see a gun ability for AP and gut slide over to tank. And I don't know if there is the same ability for ST that there is for AP where the rail shot is always able to be used, but that should also come over to shield.

Then I'd use tank. Till then, meh.

- more survivability

- a debuff heal (20%) on with flame burst and flame sweep

- a 10m cone "aoe" at 25-30k damage each 15sec

- aoe+slow management

- free 110 accuracy

- best heat management of the 3 specs.

- ah yes you can tank too with some additionnal stuff in your inventory. ("tank" relics are a nice alternative)

i understand, i find these skantanks quite stupid too but fact is than it's the best viable "dps" spec for PT in pvp, especially in arenas.

Edited by Thaladan

- more survivability

- a debuff heal (20%) on with flame burst and flame sweep

- a 10m cone "aoe" at 25-30k damage each 15sec

- aoe+slow management

- free 110 accuracy

- best heat management of the 3 specs.

- ah yes you can tank too with some additionnal stuff in your inventory. ("tank" relics are a nice alternative)

i understand, i find these skantanks quite stupid too but fact is than it's the best viable "dps" spec for PT in pvp, especially in arenas.

you dont need 110% accuracy in pvp unless you have worse luck than a 1 round russian roulette sore loser

aoe is pretty decent across the board, its probably vanguard's biggest selling point as of right now. you dont need skank tank for it, but its fun i'll agree

heat management shouldn't be an issue for AP PT

pt is probably the weakest skank tank between the 3 classes, no execute mechanics, transpose is really uselses and narrow minded and its design is full of flaws, not to mention the stats and dcd are seriously lacklustre, which is an AC issue, not a spec issue. Riot gas is your only saving grace, but without hinder mechanics + the nerf in 5.0, it's lost a lot of impact

It's a preference thing (not saying you're wrong at all) but I'd take going AP PT over skank anyday,

better energy shield cdr, better defense rating buff and lower cooldown,

more defensive functions (by one... WOOOOW ikr)

energy cell is good feeling, and ramp is always fun in combat

Edited by Bonzenaattori

So it's been quite a while since I played last and was wondering if AP PT is still viable? Any suggestions or insight into the current state of the class would be much appreciated. Thanks!

It is not good but not the worst. It has okay burst and okay damage, mediocre mobility/range and weak survivability. It works well in PvP if you have strong support. Without it you stand no chance.

PvE, the damage is on the low end. Not the worst, and surely capable of clearing all content, but far from the best.

Well I found AP PT to be the worst of all PT classes in PVP.

Mostly because the very bad heating menagement. AP PT overheat very fast even on top levels.

Pyro is even worse heat management. Switched to shield for craps and giggles and the heat management is better. However very fee offensive abilities. Oil slick and translocate are terrible. Rather have gut slide over from AP and some kind of extra shield defensive ability.

Ontop of PTs losing missle blast and explosive dart(which was asinine) and getting only shatter slug in return. I'd like to see flame thrower come back, but be a single target channeled ability akin to force lighting.

PT is still in 4.0 DCD wise.

None of the cds for VG/PT have changed since 2.0, only where they're located, therein lies the problem. Obsolete cooldown designs in a patch where every other class has had theirs tailored or with additional functions to fit the current state of the game. VGs, nope, you get devs who still cant decide what level your gap closer should be

Unless you consider Riot Gas an actual cooldown, then it got nerfed

Also, if you have heat managment issues as a PT there is seriously something wrong with your entire strategy in combat.

Edited by Bonzenaattori