Do people hate or love Galactic Starfighter?

LegoUniverseBC

i love GSF... i hate that bomber drones ignore obstacles and can target, track, & shoot you through anything, so much so i have hung up my wings until they fix it... that and the EMP Radius which is also borked, 3000m my butt, more like 30m, i've watched teammates pull it off and nothing in the EMP Bubble was affected unless it was right on their ship... i love GSF but sadly i felt the need to let go of the throttle and head home until they fix these extremely broken bugs...

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved GSF. Past tense because I haven't played in weeks.

I hate bombers because of their pet drones. It seems like after 2.6 the entire focus switched to "everyone must dodge or kill Gunships and Bomber Pets." I had more fun fighting and killing (mostly getting killed by) the OP Battle Scouts while every now and again having to deal with Gunships. That was by far less tedious and annoying than the current Episode 2.6 "the Drone Wars" :rolleyes:

As crazy as it may sound I'm honestly beginning to think Bioware has some deep pocketed benefactor (or benefactor's kid) pulling the strings and influencing the most important decisions when it comes to GSF :eek:...because it seems as if none of the feedback regarding bombers was even considered in the slightest. It also seems as if the invitations to test new GSF content on the PTS are just a ruse so it can be said that they gave players the opportunity but no one answered the call.

Whatever the reason(s) may be, with all conspiracy theories aside, in my honest opinion its not as fun as it used to be. In the future I will que every once in awhile to see if things have changed or improved. Until then enjoy and happy pet hunting!

• 2 weeks later...
I despise GSF, so disappointed Bioware wasted dev time making this. People whined for open world space combat and this is what was given, LOL. Should've used the time to fix ground pvp and add more battlegrounds/variety. Or dare I say an added chapter to class story. Edited by Tulukord

Well loved the good parts so much it rekindled my love of flightsims.

Hate the problems enough that it's driving me to other games.

1. Lack of matchmaking (matches are almost always snoozefests or blowouts)

2. Lack of artificial horizon/compass

3. Lack of combat logging

1 & 3 i can see, but #2? really?..

when this was introduced into live first thing i noticed and commented to my teammates about this was; "a lot of people seem to be having trouble flying because they're spending too much time trying to orient themselves (find up & down), when really what they need to do is realize there is no up"...

Edited by Elly_Dawn

1 & 3 i can see, but #2? really?..

when this was introduced into live first thing i noticed and commented to my teammates about this was; "a lot of people seem to be having trouble flying because they're spending too much time trying to orient themselves (find up & down), when really what they need to do is realize there is no up"...

Its more an east/west north/south thing. In my case and it may not be a universal issue, it's just ingrained reflex from looking at the artificial horizon/ compass without them when I try to exit a dogfight as often as not I wind up going in the wrong direction.

Even a good landmark like the sun would help

Edited by General_Brass

Its more an east/west north/south thing. In my case and it may not be a universal issue, it's just ingrained reflex from looking at the artificial horizon/ compass without them when I try to exit a dogfight as often as not I wind up going in the wrong direction.

Even a good landmark like the sun would help

I have to say, I like that the game does nothing like that. Actually the Kuat Mesas map is the one I like least, since it gives a too clear idea of up and down, I don't want an air fight, I want space fights! And In space there is no up and down...

I've heard many people say good things about Galactic Starfighter and a lot of bad things about it. What's your view on it?

I love it. I've always wanted it since launch, and now it's here and I'm doing things like this.

(I'm the one at the top).

I wish more people loved it so I could play it more often. :(

Edited by Vid-szhite

I've come to loave it as much as I do ground combat. Reason being match-making if it's working isn't working correctly maybe. When you have 6-8 veterans on 1 side with all mastered ships and then the other side only has 1 person with mastered ships and the rest newer players constantly then somethign is drastically wrong. You can only lose so many times before you say why am I even trying anymore and that's where I sit now. When I play my Imperial toon with its mastered ship I usually get put against republic players queing in as a group, and when I'm on my republic with starter ships I'm against those same republic groups.

What I love about GSF: Intense, fast-action gameplay. Dogfighting against opponents to see who comes out on top.

What I hate about GSF: Bombers and gunships. They take away so much from the game because as a scout or strike fighter, if you don't drop whatever it is you're doing to deal with them right away, you're screwed. They're OP and ruin the balance of it imo. The best, most fun and most intense matches I've ever had playing GSF had few, if any, bombers or gunships in them, resulting in nothing but pure, straight up dogfights to see who is the better pilot.

What I love about GSF: Intense, fast-action gameplay. Dogfighting against opponents to see who comes out on top.

What I hate about GSF: Bombers and gunships. They take away so much from the game because as a scout or strike fighter, if you don't drop whatever it is you're doing to deal with them right away, you're screwed. They're OP and ruin the balance of it imo. The best, most fun and most intense matches I've ever had playing GSF had few, if any, bombers or gunships in them, resulting in nothing but pure, straight up dogfights to see who is the better pilot.

I agree with you almost completely. however, tho bombers are tricky, they are not as priority as gunships, or other strikes etc. If they have a Railgun drone, then yes, that drone is priority. Which is why I said almost completely.

The main problem is Rail weapons.

I love it, why ? It's a whole new game tacked on one I already love.

Don't feel like grinding more WZs commendations until the new gear tier arrives? Pop a GSF get those requisitions, ran all the OPs with your guild? More space pew pew! Want to lvl up but doing that one planet again makes you want to reach for the nearest bridge? Make that character a pilot (which is how I got started in GSF).

Basically it's great change of pace from the "main" game and a surprisingly good source of credits since there is literally no cost to flying.

I have to say, I like that the game does nothing like that. Actually the Kuat Mesas map is the one I like least, since it gives a too clear idea of up and down, I don't want an air fight, I want space fights! And In space there is no up and down...

I agree with both sides of the argument....it is sometimes too disorienting, but it should 'feel' like true space combat.

Overall I think the 'space' feel is just fine. What I always take issue with is the mini-map -- I get insanely frustrated when I turn left, but my character on the mini-map turns right (because I'm 'upside-down'). I think it would be a nice addition for the mini-map to auto-orient itself based on how your craft is situated.

In Domination, this is typically not a problem at all for me. There are markers that continuously point the direction of each satellite, so figuring out your relative position isn't bad......unless you're in, for example, an imperial vs imperial game and you forget that you spawned from pub side, and the star destroyer you fly to for protection/safety blows you up... (yea that's happened to me more than once)

The bigger problem is in Deathmatch....if you're going for a power-up based on what you see on the mini-map, it's annoying sometimes when you don't 'turn' the direction you think you should because the map is wrong...you'd think your advanced 'sensors' could fix that. It's also discouraging when you're on the run from somebody and lose your bearings and need to quickly find out where your friendlies are....

Not a big deal, just a pet-peeve of mine

Played it a little in the early access phase, but quickly grew bored with it, mostly due to the limited maps and single game mode. Now I've decided to return and give it another go and this time I just can't seem to get the hang of it at all (which is odd, because I did okay before - but I guess everybody was a noob back then).

This is currently my biggest block to enjoying it. Simply getting blown up all the time is no fun, and I don't really feel inclined to persist in the hope of getting better at it, because right now it is just not enjoyable in any way. I'd rather be doing almost anything else in the game than this.

So I think it's best to conclude that it's just not for me. It ain't fun, and I want to spend my online gaming time having fun.

Edited by PLynkes

for me that now spends all my time in pvp i have found GSF to be amazing, yes theres some issues to be addressed but its still early but overal the space pvp is amazing and its all i do now plus the odd ground pvp match.

i love how skill plays so much a deciding factor in space pvp than ground pvp theres far more balence.

Those that complain about bombers, gunships havnt really learned everything. i love going out on my scout, fighter just to go after the gunships, bombers, and also love getting into some 1 on 1's with another gunship while on a gunship.

i love the moments im being focused and trying to evade them, draw them to my team mates, trying to out manuver them, sometimes win and sometimes i lose out.

i also find i remember players names in space pvp that are good, bad far more than i did in ground pvp.

i also find the majority of the space pvp community to be really good have a bit of banter etc and rarely see any rude, nasty players.

i hope they keep at this and keep it growing and growing.

the things i would like to see is:

*More game modes to throw more varity into the matches u play,

*More maps

*Variations of each game mode,

*MOST IMPORTANT: Ranked queue

*MOST IMPORTANT: Leaderboards

*Also would like to see laods more different ship paint designs ranging in massive different styles, basically alot more cosmetic options.

*Ability to inspect ya team at start of match to see how experienced, lack off etc to provide more help if needed.

*increased ship limit to take into a fight so potentially you could take 2 of each class set up different

also at some point like to see increased size in some battlezones with more pilots on each side, 16v16, 20v20 etc.

Keep up the good work bioware with GSF and please keep the content for GSF comming thick and fast.

This is currently my biggest block to enjoying it. Simply getting blown up all the time is no fun, and I don't really feel inclined to persist in the hope of getting better at it, because right now it is just not enjoyable in any way. I'd rather be doing almost anything else in the game than this.

So I think it's best to conclude that it's just not for me. It ain't fun, and I want to spend my online gaming time having fun.

The only way to gain experience is by doing. I am guessing you do not run operations and flashpoints until they are on pug farm status either because you do not like wiping?

The only way to gain experience is by doing. I am guessing you do not run operations and flashpoints until they are on pug farm status either because you do not like wiping?

Or the devs could stop running off all their potential customers and make rated or brackets so the new people get some practice instead being perma wreckage. But you can keep arguing against it until theres nobody left.

Or the devs could stop running off all their potential customers and make rated or brackets so the new people get some practice instead being perma wreckage. But you can keep arguing against it until theres nobody left.

You make it sound like GSF is declining, but it is not. Over the past few months, I've seen more and more players, and the average skill levels are increasing. I've seen some previously 'unbeatable premades' lose in recent weeks, and that is a very good feeling.

Unless you have numbers, I feel like your argument loses....

• 6 months later...

The idea and concept of it I DID like a whole lot since I just love the daily space missions. However when I first tried a couple of times I just dropped it out of disappointment or hate, maybe both.

Too me the controls are too sensitive and completely whacky, half the time I'm just trying to steer and find my target before I can even shoot people. So most of the time I am just flying around in circles like a *******. :(

So, I prefer the daily space missions because THAT feels more solid to me, but that may be because it's just on a rail of it's own. :rak_03:

Too me the controls are too sensitive and completely whacky, half the time I'm just trying to steer and find my target before I can even shoot people. So most of the time I am just flying around in circles like a *******. :(

turn down the sensitivity on your mouse. makes a huge difference.

to learn more on how to target and shoot check out Scrab's youtube GSF vids...

Scrab's GSF channel

also, check out Drakkolich's educational stream post (and stream too of course).

both very good pilots and very helpful for new players.

best of luck

(in before "the necro is strong with this one" posts - :eek: )

Edited by magecutter

It's fairly ok, not bad but nothing to be overly excited in my book.

A few things that suck, that really, really suck:

- Way too many obstacles. I want to be able to dogfight without all these stuffs in the way, something like the maps from the Battlefront games.

- Secondary weapon. For the love of the Maker, please put a long CD on this thing. All I hear lately is that bell telling me that I'm locked. As more people get used to the full abilities of their ship, the game is turning in a spam feast of missile lock - missile lock - missile lock - missile lock - missile lock - missile lock - missile lock - missile lock... Constantly evading locks is already getting old and it's day #3.

- The camera is way too close to the ship. Let us zoom out!

This was my post from last year (day #3 as quoted). Quickly after I grew tired of GSF, I still committed myself to finish mastering my scout and then swore I would never queue again.

Conquest objectives have changed that and I took the dust off my scout while trying out other ships. From these 3 points I noted months ago, obstacles and camera, I have been able to live with them. Missile locks, I will never be able to. Nothing has changed, you are constantly getting locked which constantly forces you to try to LOS your pursuer or maneuver and I fail to see where the fun is.

Edited by demotivator

I like it better the PUGging. I hate when people complain about your gear while in a PUG. I complain about my gear enough and don't need you to tell me it sucks. :rak_03: The action seems too quick to allow people to troll the chat window so I like it. Keep your negative opinions to yourself.

For the game play and objectives, I don't really know what is going on and where to go.. I guess I am too newb or suck either way I just fly around asteroids and hit X.

I do like that it costs a lot of money to upgrade the ships so you can make a difference. I also like the fact that you see 15 people with only 2 ships (beginners) and the other team has 15 members with 8 ship choices.. I would say keep the ship choices secret on the opposing team so that you don't get a mass exit before the start of the match.