Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

I'm always surprised the JC Nar Shadaa quest line, which I tend to think of as the Macross Plus story, doesn't come up in conversations about droid romance more often.

/me thinks of a formulation to avoid spoilers

You mean... the little holiday you have there?

Some machines are definitely programmed to be romantic.

/me is off to google "Macross Plus"

That's a typical story for a cyberpunk stuff... where robots usually aren't meant to be sentient. In Star Wars it's a different story... Before thy come up with something like that for players I seriously prefer romances in all ways with sentient biologically evolved creatures that belong to speies with exactly two genders. Preferably mammal-like creatures.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ms. Berryman, if possible, could you please pass the following onto Mr. Hood:

With regards to the Guild Summit earlier this year (2012), it was stated that SGRA's (Same Gender Romance Arcs) would be done with those companions with which it "makes sense". This phrase is something that has been highly debated in the Same gender relationships clarifications? thread but quite obviously these debates have been somewhat pointless as we are speculating on something that has not been expanded upon by anyone in Bioware. With that in mind I would politely request a clarification of the phrase "makes sense" in as much as we are told what are the qualifiers for "making sense" and whether or not those qualifiers are based on current written personalities of the Companions involved or if they are influenced by external qualifiers of what it is to be gay, lesbian or bisexual.

It would be most appreciated, Mr. Hood, if you or one of your writing team could become involved in the Same gender relationships clarifications? thread, either directly or through the Community Team representatives. The thread has indeed taken a turn for the disgruntled recently and it would be pleasant to return it to the discussion of in-game romances, but I feel we cannot do so without further input from yourself, Mr. Hood, and your writing team.

Thank you for consideration, Mr. Hood.

Faithfully,

Someone who has waited patiently and not-so patiently for SGRA's and acknowledgement thereof.

Another message for Ms. Berryman, this time directed to Mr. Hood (as there does not appear to be any other method to contact him). I do not expect a reply, so I'll likely be sending this again, verbatim, in a few days.

Before thy come up with something like that for players I seriously prefer romances in all ways with sentient biologically evolved creatures that belong to speies with exactly two genders. Preferably mammal-like creatures.

I can't agree with this, since it cuts out human s/s romance, human gender being more fluid than "exactly two." Admittedly my only human PC is the only one who's probably completely straight, but it would still cut my smuggler off from Risha and that would be a damn shame. (And my knight from Satele, of course, but we all know that's not happening regardless. :()

I can't agree with this, since it cuts out human s/s romance, human gender being more fluid than "exactly two." Admittedly my only human PC is the only one who's probably completely straight, but it would still cut my smuggler off from Risha and that would be a damn shame. (And my knight from Satele, of course, but we all know that's not happening regardless. :()

I don't see how you were able to draw that conclusion. And I'd be absolutely against making Satele Shan a romance option, firstly because you can't meet her on eyelevel, secondly because it's a part of the character that she embodies the principles the Jedi stand for in her own person. Yes, she's still a woman, but even if that surfaces sometimes, it won't in the face of player charcters. As the character who hands outs flashpoints and operations it would seem inappropriate to reward a player to be the mate of the character that stands above all republic players characters.

/me imagines [flirt] options in flashpoint briefings.

Besides, when it comes to concil members, I believe that Master Kiwiiks is largly underestimated when it comes to that. Not sure how Kira would react to that...

Also that they now start discussing individual companions in such a prominent way seems to indicate that any update changing the romantic arcs of the companions can´t be too far away, since in 24 weeks ( if it is indeed a weekly feature) they will run out of non romance companions and have to talk about the romance-able ones (why Kalio is one of the few female exceptions I have explained in the above paragraph).

I don't know about that.

The purpose of these blogs could be to give a bored intern something to do.

I don't think they have a specific order planned either...in the blog thread, they asked posters to list who'd they'd like to see next.

I think these blogs are 100% independent of the (possible) upcoming SGRA feature...which is kind of sad in a way, but that's how it is.

You could theoretically design a character with a certain look, I suppose... My IA Jan'neria, for example, is pretty butch (she's Body type 3, with short slicked back hair, and wears an imperial uniform), but I didn't design her with that in mind.

Now I think about it, most of my characters use the "amazon" body type... Hmm... I think that says more about me than it does about my characters, though. ;)

"Amazon" body type ? You mean body type 2 ? That's how I "translate" that.

My Commando and Jugg are bd 2. My Sorcerer is 3. She definetely has a "butchy" look (dammit, I need campaing legs so I can get rid of that stupid skirt for good, lol). And my agent is -zomg- body type 4 :)

Body type 1 ? meh... doesn't really work :D

I don't see how you were able to draw that conclusion.

You said you'd like them to do romances for mammalian species with exactly two genders. That doesn't include humans. That means human NPCs wouldn't be available for s/s romance.

Let's not ignore the existence of our trans* allies in a thread that's entirely about how much it sucks when our existence is ignored ourselves.

/me imagines [flirt] options in flashpoint briefings

Actually those already exist. Male smug can ask Satele out to dinner after one of the early FPs. She shoots him down very classily.

Besides, when it comes to concil members, I believe that Master Kiwiiks is largly underestimated when it comes to that. Not sure how Kira would react to that...

I can't imagine pursuing that for its own sake, but I admit would totally roll an entire alt solely to see Kira's reaction.

You said you'd like them to do romances for mammalian species with exactly two genders. That doesn't include humans. That means human NPCs wouldn't be available for s/s romance.

Let's not ignore the existence of our trans* allies in a thread that's entirely about how much it sucks when our existence is ignored ourselves.

Hermaphrodits are not an own gender but people who have gender specific attributes of two genders. The human species has exactly to genders, even though not every individually belongs to only one of them.

Besides you're confusing transvestites and hermaphrodites.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

My Commando and Jugg are bd 2. My Sorcerer is 3. She definetely has a "butchy" look (dammit, I need campaing legs so I can get rid of that stupid skirt for good, lol). And my agent is -zomg- body type 4 :)

My Mirialan JK uses Body Type 3. Looks like a cross between the She Hulk and those green females from Star Trek that have pheromones that make men lose their minds and obey them.

Body Type 3 is what I call an Amazonian physique, especially in the Republic Dancer/Slave Girl outfits. They show off all the muscles, and boy is she ripped!

My characters all "match" their armor class. Sorc and Shadow are type 1, Op, Gunslinger, and Sentinel are all type 2, and Jugg, Merc, and Vanguard are all type 3. The skinny girls I haven't played enough to really get into their heads yet, but I think the sorcerer is probably a femme and the shadow is a bit more on the butch side. The Op is a dykey femme, Sent is a high femme, Merc is a mushy butch, Jugg is stone(which is nice what with Vette being such a pillow queen and all), the Gunslinger thinks labels are stupid, and my poor Vanguard is one of those unfortunate girls who got pushed into competitive sports and the military because of her size but just wanted to play with dolls and wear pink dresses and find a nice girl to open doors for her and hold her and make her feel safe and treat her like the princess she is, but she was too shy to assert herself and now she's built this tough no-nonsense shell around herself just to survive her environment. Still waiting for (female) Prince Charming to come riding in on a white horse and rescue her from her prison, though.

I have used body type 1 for my (f) Marauder, my (m) Mercenary, my (m) Gunslinger (he's sensitive about it. :rolleyes:) and my (f) Guardian. The rest are body type 2, save for a "spare" smuggler I made bodytype 4 so I could match his Twi'lek social dance with him singing "I've got the moobs like Jabba!"

So I didn't really match body type to class, nor to personality (my Guardian, for instance, is intensely physical and athletic – she's just not big. Probably my Gunslinger is the only one sensitive about his size, but it makes him more assertive and brash to compensate. None of my characters are "butch" or "femme" per se – I find the uke/seme dichotomy is not reflected IRL, and it is a convention I deliberately avoid.

There are polarities at play, of course. My Gunslinger is the brains, head-canon Corso the brawn – but that is more a Fafhrd / Grey Mouser sort of thing than one built on sexual identity.

I have used body type 1 for my (f) Marauder, my (m) Mercenary, my (m) Gunslinger (he's sensitive about it. :rolleyes:) and my (f) Guardian. The rest are body type 2, save for a "spare" smuggler I made bodytype 4 so I could match his Twi'lek social dance with him singing "I've got the moobs like Jabba!" .

You use a Sith Marauder with body type 1? I once created a Sith Warrior... If I remember correctly with these settings:

http://imageshack.us/a/img715/1043/sithwarrior.jpg

It just didn't work for me, I went through the first dialogue, went into the very first dungeon and spoke to the soldier there and then gave up: The voice of a female Sith Warrior simply requires body type 3 or 4, imho. I am curious what this character looked like. Could you IM me a screenshot link of the login screen? This is getting somewhat OT.

You use a Sith Marauder with body type 1? I once created a Sith Warrior... If I remember correctly with these settings:

It just didn't work for me, I went through the first dialogue, went into the very first dungeon and spoke to the soldier there and then gave up: The voice of a female Sith Warrior simply requires body type 3 or 4, imho. I am curious what this character looked like. Could you IM me a screenshot link of the login screen? This is getting somewhat OT.

I was going for an Asajj Ventress clone. I'll see if I can grab a better pic but here is a snapshot:

http://i.imgur.com/Ys7Mz.jpg

Think fierce, fast and fearless. DPS build.

Incidentally, I am unsure of her orientation but at this point so is she. Her master really did a number on her mentally and emotionally to make her a ruthless killer. She has had a child, but that may not have been a conventional conception. Still getting to know her and her history.

Edited by Uluain

I was going for an Asajj Ventress clone. I'll see if I can grab a better pic but here is a snapshot:

http://i.imgur.com/Ys7Mz.jpg

Think fierce, fast and fearless. DPS build.

I also have a body type 1 rattataki SW.

I think the female SW voice fits pretty well with a rattataki in general.

I dunno, my Lethan Twi'lek Body Type 1 Jugg looks pretty good. Of course that may be because she's wearing the Bounty Hunter Black Talon Chest (due to the robes never freaking dropping!! :mad: ), and when everything is matched to chest my whole outfit is white with blue accents. They got rid of the "skidmark" dirty inner thigh effect matching used to produce (Man that looked so bad!!! :o ). I'm happy overall with the look (but I still want those robes! drop curse you!!!!!).

BTW

Screenie

Edited by Baptes
Screentshot

Clarification (and I don't mean to offend anyone with my descriptions below), this is how I see the body types:

BT 1 = Anorexic (I guess this one is meant to be just skinny)

BT 2 = Less Anorexic (this one is supposed to be the normal body type, I think)

BT 3 = Tall, athletic, muscular, in other words amazonian

BT 4 = healthy body weight, though some would call this one "fat", TVTropes would call this one Hollywood Pudgy. For some reason this one corresponds to the male corpulently obese (but muscular as well) body type.

Most of my characters are BT3, with one or two being either BT2 or 4. I refuse to use BT1 on principle.

Hey all! I've been on a break from Swotor do to school recently, but me and my friends would like to get back into it. A big draw for us all (do to being a group of mostly LGBT persons) is this feature, is their any news on it? At last check it was said to be coming with 1.4...?

Hey all! I've been on a break from Swotor do to school recently, but me and my friends would like to get back into it. A big draw for us all (do to being a group of mostly LGBT persons) is this feature, is their any news on it? At last check it was said to be coming with 1.4...?

No, but apparently, from what info is able to be leaked, still coming this year with new story content & Makeb. Best guess is late December, as F2P is set to drop next month.

I never wanted to get into an MMORPG. I avoided WOW. I bought this game because EA took flak for including same-sex storylines. A blaze of glory in the media and FB. Now they seem to have quietly dropped it. This makes me very cross indeed. False advertising, etc.

Particularly irksome is the fact that they sideline this discussion and just ignore the requests for information. It's like being in the closet. An online dont-ask-don't-tell.

Shame on you, Bioware and EA. Shame!

I never wanted to get into an MMORPG. I avoided WOW. I bought this game because EA took flak for including same-sex storylines. A blaze of glory in the media and FB. Now they seem to have quietly dropped it. This makes me very cross indeed. False advertising, etc.

Particularly irksome is the fact that they sideline this discussion and just ignore the requests for information. It's like being in the closet. An online dont-ask-don't-tell.

Shame on you, Bioware and EA. Shame!

They haven't dropped it – if what little snippets of information get out are any indication. But the inability of the devs and community team to discuss it is indeed disheartening.

Clarification (and I don't mean to offend anyone with my descriptions below), this is how I see the body types:

BT 4 = healthy body weight, though some would call this one "fat", TVTropes would call this one Hollywood Pudgy. For some reason this one corresponds to the male corpulently obese (but muscular as well) body type.

Most of my characters are BT3, with one or two being either BT2 or 4. I refuse to use BT1 on principle.

Just in case, since I didn't make the clarification, in my previous post I was talking about my female characters, which are most of them. Only 1 male character, marauder BT2.

Totally agree on BT1. That's just too much. Her legs... damn. Tried a bunch of times to make a character with BT1 since some head/complexion combinations are good, but the general look is just... no.... doesn't work for me.

BT2 for me is the athletic one. Could be both strong and acrobatic, whereas BT3 I see it more like a bodybuilder

BT4, don't really have a label for it (definitely not fat), but let's just say my Mirialan agent is very, very proud of her curves :) I think she struts for Kaliyo. That means trouble.

I actually like BT1. I never took the difference of that type to be about weight, but rather age. The effects BT1 has on heads, especially when combined with one of the clean (or heavily freckled) complexions, tends to create characters that look like they are about 16. Whereas, if you combine BT1 with a very weathered complexion and one of the more lined heads, it can create a very nice wizened look. I tend to think that was the point of BT1, the extremes in age body type. :)

I actually like BT1. I never took the difference of that type to be about weight, but rather age. The effects BT1 has on heads, especially when combined with one of the clean (or heavily freckled) complexions, tends to create characters that look like they are about 16. Whereas, if you combine BT1 with a very weathered complexion and one of the more lined heads, it can create a very nice wizened look. I tend to think that was the point of BT1, the extremes in age body type. :)

Yeah, that's the impression I had as well - For an easy example I can point at Mako (Who most people will agree looks like a little girl) and Kaliyo (Who most certainly does not). They both use the same body type but different facial traits (primarily Kaliyo's baldness and tattoos) give very different impressions, yet I never looked at them and thought they were overly thin.

Personally I see it them like: slender, athletic, big, massive. Body type 2 is overidealized but a bit idealization compared to the real world is the norm in video games. If I look at the four female companions the three characters who reached high level have - Kira and Nadia are body type one (but not constrained regarding the face like a player character would. Kria's face is a lot more round than a character with body type 1 could possibly make it) and Temple and Kaliyo are body type 2.

Personally I prefer body type 1 for characters who rely on being fast and agile, namely Sith Assassin and Jedi Shadow. "You've got to watch them - be quick or be dead, snake eyes in heaven, the thief in your head."

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Before we go way off the rails into body type & self-image IRL, maybe we'd better get back on topic. So I'll glom onto something here to pull us back on course:

Mako - does she look too young to you for a romance to seem appropriate? I have to say she never struck me as child-like. I'd never thought of it that way until I read that here just now.