how many players are really playing?

kenopaa

are there multiple game world instances or just a single one?

how accurate the /who command really is?

read somewhere that there can be multiple instances running at any one time and swtor would be able to host more than 100,000 players on the same area :t_tongue:

just curious.... :t_cool:

Only Bioware can really answer that question. There are usually more than one instance in any area that I play in on JC I can't speak for anywhere else.

The people who try to estimate numbers tend to do samplings of numbers on fleet for some sort of gauge. I honestly think that would fail as a good estimation. The time when 'how many people are standing on fleet' is an accurate measure of population is long past. I can be anywhere among the worlds and queue for Ops, flashpoints, pvp, or whatever. I don't need to stand on fleet.

Edited by Kyrra_T

Probably only somewhere around 100k (and that still feels generous). Server merges are finally happening but it's ridiculous that this is 3 years overdue.

On a side note, EA has failed to release a direct number of subscribers in their quarterly reports for a few years now. Not a good sign at all!

Edited by Talon_strikes

I doubt anyone but the devs know.

But lets be generous and say 250k. I can vaguely remember a few people estimating that number quite a few years back. I think it's safe to assume (if we are pretending they were right) there's less now since so many servers are dead, but lets stick with it anyway. That number is still pretty sad when you compare it to FFXIV reporting 5million subscribers, which is also an old number. That was before most servers were locked from overpopulation(they've also recently added more servers).

Then there's WoW, of course, but it's the vet game. FFXIV is the new sprout on the raise. SWTOR is... well..."refocusing on multiplayer content". Hmm...

Edited by Radzkie

/who is perfectly accurate, just limited to a hundred, but you can break it down some, by say entering "juggernaut 70 dromund kaas" or so to get all lvl70 juggs on DK, but that's still always only a 'right now' thing, you can't know how many people play like once a week or so

I'm surprised I see numbers like 250k Where are all these people?🎅

scattered across every server right now, and every planet/stronghold/flagship, and there's a lot of 'em. I'm interested to see how the generic planetary population numbers look after the server consolidation goes into place. Getting all these scattered people a little less scattered.

scattered across every server right now, and every planet/stronghold/flagship, and there's a lot of 'em. I'm interested to see how the generic planetary population numbers look after the server consolidation goes into place. Getting all these scattered people a little less scattered.

Well I sure am excited about seeing fresh faces on TRE! In the PvP environment anyway.

Who can say really besides Bioware. I don't think it's as much as soon people think in this thread. The older MMOs used to show the number of people logged on servers but these modern day MMOs like to keep their numbers secret. They love inflating the numbers as much as possible with terms like characters created over the games lifetime and accounts created which includes free to play I bet. The fact is they are merging servers and in the off hours you cant get groups for anything just about as a pug player.

Last night I sat in the queue for mid level pvp for over 6 hours with out it popping. First match finally popped at 1030 in the morning. I queued with my 70 for an uprising a while ago and nothing. I finally switched to another character to work on story leveling.

When it's peak time on TRE, most populated server on the game, let's be generous and say there are two completely full fleet instances plus half of the other one. So 180x2+90=450 on the fleet alone.

Now, there's people on starter planets, DK and Coruscant, guild flagships and SHs. Besides that, there are usually around 30-40 people all the way up from Balmorra to Alderaan. Planets like Zakuul or Oddessen have around 20 people. All this is peak times on TRE, checked by myself several times.

Obviously, different people play at different times, and i'm not counting people doing ops, pvp, or other dailies. Roughly i'd say around 100k active players is quite a generous amount to estimate, so i'll go with that.

Sadly I think 100k is incredibly generous. If the devs read this thread I suspect they will read that and wish they had 100k.

While the game is free to play and we aren't talking about subscribers I've sadly not seen anything recently to make me think that more that 10k players are about. Since the end of the daily bug I can go to areas and be the only person on a planet.

Now its free to play and people still don't want to play would hopefully be a wake up call to the dev team, why is this, what can be done to improve. Unfortunately I don't think this is the case but then how the game is set up with kills and objects being solo reward, can you imagine 100 people on Yavin all looking to get 6 relics. More people may be detrimental to the open world experience.