Crafting Expensive?

Drekko

Hi guys

Im currently a level 19 marauder

And Im a little worried I wont have enough cash for my speeder @ 25. Everyone else seems to have heaps of credits. But Im seem to be struggling a little. I currently have 10k at my level

Its all going to crafting. I have Artifice, Treasure Hunting, and Archealogy

I have 2 companions, and I keep sending them out to craft/gather to level up my skills, but its sinking all my credits..

Am I doing something wrong?

Some people have said, dont waste money on gathering u can just gather yourself. But I hardly find any Nodes to mine to do that

Agreed, gathering quests seem to be the way to go. Any time I see nodes "in the wild" they're picked over or are stuff I don't need.

I've bankrupted myself a couple times doing these same crew skills, and I'm only level 16. Warzones are what keep me afloat in a pinch, though a longer-term solution would be nice.

thinks to think of regarding crafting:

ok, first of all, anyone notice you CAN NOT SEARCH on the forums atm?

crew skills need work, not least in the cost. a for-instance? my main has taken synthweaving, and studiously worked to keep her skill AT her level, in order to make gear. well, imagine my surprise when, at level 24, between the cost of the schematics, and the cost of skilling up per level, she ended up with only 13 cr to her name? guys, if you want us to do this, don't make it kill us, or take away from the exorbitantly high cost of our mount and training, to be a viable crafter.

next. if i send out my crew on crafting missions, some of them, as well as gathering missions, can have one or both companions gone for 30 or more minutes. how is my companion useful to me, a healer, if i have to send him out while i'm leveling, in order to level? the alternative? sit in a cantina somewhere and do nothing BUT craft, so i don't spend as much money on "death" damage?

lastly. the only way to "link" a "book" of abilities is to have someone right-click your portrait and view your schematics. for linking in gchat, or even pchat, we have single-item click-and-link in chat. sorry, guys, but that's ... well, to call it inconvenient is putting it MILDLY.

it's a novel approach, kudos for that. but please make it a bit more intuitive, and a bit LESS work to link, so that we can actually derive and give benefit? otherwise, might as well just take all gathering skills, and leave the crafting until end-game, when it's not useful to us anymore.

oh, and another gripe that's related? guys, your GTN model is horribly archaic. at the very LEAST give us a window we can enter an item description in WITHOUT having to figure whether it's armor, etc. half the time, when i've put in everything i need to put in, i still cannot enter anything in the description window, which means i have to take all the options available and scroll through them.

personally, i think leveling's too easy and too fast, so no, it's not that i am unwilling to work for what i want or need. but there is a point where it IS actually work, and not (for a game??) entertainment and usefulness. i believe crafting, and the GTN, has well exceeded this point.

I too have hit the crafting wall for my bank account. I'm trying to keep it on level and it's getting really expensive. I have to take time out of my play time to farm credits just to keep playing.

I don't even bother trying to get the blue and purple recipes from reverse engineering. That was a huge cred sink even in the early levels.

It's gotten to the point where I've just made an alt and power leveled him to level 10 just to pick up Slicing so I can make some credits just to play the game.

i see nothing wrong with it the way it is, you're asking for them to give you free gear, Your given many different ways to make money, such as warzone's, quests, and even just killing mobs. If your having money issues, then you just need to lay off the crew skills.

I realized today that it can be pretty pricy. I burned through about 10-12K credits gaining a total of about 150-175 points across my 3 crew skills.

But, I will freely admit that I did buy some stuff, well a lot of mats and it could be a whole lot worse.

I enjoy it the way it is and kind of think the cost might be to keep everyone from maxing PDQ.

took 3 gathering professions.

first i was near bankrupt all the time for missions (black market trading) bt kept on gathering with bio and scav.

after a while i had a decent amount of mat stacks i put them on the GTN now i got cash extras :)

I'm lvl20 atm with around 20k credits. Funny thing is that on dinging 20 I've got an ingame tip 'Start saving for the level 25 speeder'.

My server is fairly busy one (1000 queue is normal at prime time) and all my skills are at lvl100 with arch nodes enough available for me to keep leveling ..

In my experience, you don't have to send your companions on gather missions, you'll find everything you need on your own. Have them use Artifice and Treasure Hunting instead. And do as many quests as you can and sell everything you cannot use. And I don't reverse engineer.

This way, I have no problem buying everything I want/need, I'm not going to have any problem buying the speeder when the time comes. In some cases, I have found stuff that I can sell for more than the quest cost me and more often it has made the cost barely noticeable.

Drowning in credits here, got 120k at level 21, after buying all the gear mods and ship upgrades I can find.

Seriously, what are you guys doing? You cant move for being handed credits in this game.

When I saw the VIP speeder at 1.5mil, I was "omg, thats insane", now I'm more "meh, scrub mount everyone will have it".

Drowning in credits here, got 120k at level 21, after buying all the gear mods and ship upgrades I can find.

Seriously, what are you guys doing? You cant move for being handed credits in this game.

When I saw the VIP speeder at 1.5mil, I was "omg, thats insane", now I'm more "meh, scrub mount everyone will have it".

And are you crafting? If so, what? If not, I'm not really sure that adds to this particular conversation.

Personally I found that around the 18-28 area crew skills are very expensive. But currently at 34 with artifice, archealogy and treasure hunting at around 300 each and raking in money faster than I can lose it (the longer mission times help with this, also by this point I have 4 companions so sending out 3 and keeping one allows me to easily level skills whilst progressing myself).

An advice for crafting, don't buy all the damn recipes, buy one or two useful ones and use them to level up. Yes you can reverse engineer if you want, but I prefer to sell my crafted items to the vendor and make a neat profit usually in terms of money spent to get the components and money made by using a mere 4-5 of them.

Overall I'm really enjoying the crew skills system. My one complaint is that I wish whilst in your own ship you could craft as yourself and queue the number of items to create. Because it is a bit annoying to have to refresh your crew members quests every couple of minutes because they've completed the recipe you gave them to craft. Though with 3 people once I've built up a necessary stockpile of resources from gathering can go very quickly.

But to go back to being more on topic, yes crafting is expensive in the low to mid levels but one you start getting the 3rd and 4th tier of gathering missions I've found myself gaining more and more money even though I keep reinvesting it in the crew skills. My major financial drain now is skills and inventory slots.

Doing bio I just had enough cash to get my skill and speeder, but I did not have the cash to train my skill at that level and I had to stop doing crafting missions at level 23 to save up.

Granted I did spend about 3k in gear.

I am currently lvl 13, thought of starting to skill up, so got everything around 20-30 (Scavenging, Underworld trading and armortech).

Before i did this, i probably had like 2k credits. I then sent my companion continuously on gathering missions, as i was doing flashpoints, and then i hit level 14, go to the trainer, BAM you haz no gold to buy new talents.

So yes bit expensive imo :)

I'd like to get 10-20k credits like people are saying they have ... quests i guess ?

level 14 and have 83k credits. I afk alot so my slicing is at 267. When i'm not questing I just check back every 20 minutes and restart the companion crafting. I've also sold some purple schematics for 6500k a piece. Edited by krighton

Hi guys

Im currently a level 19 marauder

And Im a little worried I wont have enough cash for my speeder @ 25. Everyone else seems to have heaps of credits. But Im seem to be struggling a little. I currently have 10k at my level

You shouldn't have an issue. In Beta, I made ~22k from normal play (quests, random encounters) going from L24 to L25. Your earning potential goes up quickly with level.

You may need to hold off or limit crafting for a little bit to ensure you make it, but it is easily reachable.

Its all going to crafting. I have Artifice, Treasure Hunting, and Archealogy

I have 2 companions, and I keep sending them out to craft/gather to level up my skills, but its sinking all my credits..

Am I doing something wrong?

Some people have said, dont waste money on gathering u can just gather yourself. But I hardly find any Nodes to mine to do that

Node harvesting is the way to go. Sending companions out for node harvestable materials is a HUGE credit sink. Donig that is just paying for things you can get for free. Many of the planets have a location that is great for harvesting (archealogy) nodes (e.g., Balmorra on the far east, DK near the temple, etc.)

You'll need to send companions on Treasure hunting missions b/c there is no other way to get the materials, if you need them. However, you can level most crew crafting skills just fine without sending your companion out on many mission skills.

Also, pick a few recipes (I usually go 2-4 per level range) that you know will be useful to you and work on making and RE them. Buying all the recipes is a waste. You'll probably never make most of them while leveling, they almost all use the same materials, and even if you do make them you'll never be able to get all the higher teir schematics by RE them. Pick one, and go with it.

Edited by Infalliable

are purple items even sold?

i tried it with cybertech but the longer i think about it, maybe i should just ignore the re as well (or at least only go to blue for my own needs) and sell the rest to npc.

also i'm really, really missing my auctioneer.

i mean the real market for expensive but superb leveling-items are rerollers that have the money-power of a lvl 50 to back them up. and we are simply not there yet.

now what to do with the treasure hunting mats ...

lastly: the gtn fees are just absurdly high. somewhat around 10% of the potential buy-out price.

Sure you do.

Speeder is what? 8.000 Credits at Level 25?

I was broke yesterday, and 1-2 hours later I was at 10k again. Just from questing and picking up everything I kill.

This at Level 21. So money is no problem at all, although it will seem like that way a few levels lower.

Bigger problem ist the abysmal GTN interface that doesn't let me SPEND my money.

EDIT: If, however, you insist on researching every artifact for every item on your craft list... that will make you broke. I just go for the ones useful to me, and only highest level I am able to do.

Edited by _Flin_

Speeder is what? 8.000 Credits at Level 25?

I was broke yesterday, and 1-2 hours later I was at 10k again. Just from questing and picking up everything I kill.

This at Level 21. So money is no problem at all, although it will seem like that way a few levels lower.

Bigger problem ist the abysmal GTN interface that doesn't let me SPEND my money.

EDIT: If, however, you insist on researching every artifact for every item on your craft list... that will make you broke. I just go for the ones useful to me, and only highest level I am able to do.

The Training is 40k. This is what gets people. the speeders cost are minor compared to the 40k dump. But if you slow crafting down from 20-25 you can easily save the money for the mount. When I hit 25 I had 68k and had not hit tattooine yet. But as you get Mid 20's level the quests start pumping out a lot more credits so you can craft again.