Thoughts on the Recent PTS Changes...

FourTwent

Just some things that stuck out while I was reading through the patch notes this morning. . .

The healing bonus granted per point of Expertise has been reduced due to the amount of Expertise available on PvP items.

So now it won't be a flat X% bonus for Damage Output, Damage Reduction, and Healing?

Craftable Custom (orange) Battlemaster and War Hero PvP armor has been added to Synthweaving and Armormech. The schematics for these items can be purchased from Battlemaster and War Hero vendors.

So we won't have to RE this gear to learn it. . .we'll just have to buy the schematic?

The speeder bikes that transported players to the East and West turrets [in Alderaan Civil War] have been removed.

So at first, they made the side speeder bikes a 3 second activation time. . .then they made it so that it activated instantly. . .but the path it took to 'ride' from spawn to the side turret was increased. And now they're gone all together? :(

i honestly cant quite see what they are trying to achieve with removing the speeders in alderaan. wont the tactic after 1.2 go something like 1 person at side turret to call inc, 7 people camping spawn (landing area). Edited by Glarsaahl

i honestly cant quite see what they are trying to achieve with removing the speeders in alderaan. wont the tactic after 1.2 go something like 1 person at side turret to call inc, 7 people camping spawn (landing area).

thats what I was thinking when I first heard about it. the team would have the option to 'immediately' go to the side. . .or go through the other side and walk under the middle area. But that technically could be camped too.

I thought the side speeders was a tactical advantage. . .is that too much of an advantage to give? Next will they give the side speeders to the losing team to make it easier for the nodes to switch XD

i honestly cant quite see what they are trying to achieve with removing the speeders in alderaan. wont the tactic after 1.2 go something like 1 person at side turret to call inc, 7 people camping spawn (landing area).

Yeah, that's exactly what I see happening.

Basically they are speeding up the process when you get steamrolled so you don't slow down the loss and hopefully players stay in the warzone for the valor/marks at the end.

This puts it in line with huttball or voidstar where they can be sped up by teams dominating the other side.

I can't say I agree with this but we all take our lumps to get good pvp gear so we don't get wtfpwned. Anyone who has taken a new 50 into a warzone knows what I mean.

Basically they are speeding up the process when you get steamrolled so you don't slow down the loss and hopefully players stay in the warzone for the valor/marks at the end.

I thought that was what they were trying to get away from actually. Especially with the mechanics in the new warzone(you could be 300 to 5. but still win(as the team with 5 points left) if you held 2 of the 3 nodes for the rest of the game.

The change will cause the sides to flip more often or to have teams balance out their defenders in a way that they can be overcome by numbers.

As is 2-3 people can hold a side node from 5-6 attackers give a heavy advantage to the defenders. I am happy that they are trying to make any sort of rated play way more interesting than grab and hold or beat head against wall.

Forcing teams to balance how many defenders to leave or how many attackers to send

will definitely improve CW. I would also like them to remove the places where you can go over the wall into the middle because it would make the decision to drop off much more risky.

In this the answer? who knows but i am glad they are trying to make it a bit more back and forth than it currently is.

Horrible change is horrible. Leave alderan alone it's fine... wth...

Just some things that stuck out while I was reading through the patch notes this morning. . .

So now it won't be a flat X% bonus for Damage Output, Damage Reduction, and Healing?

So we won't have to RE this gear to learn it. . .we'll just have to buy the schematic?

So at first, they made the side speeder bikes a 3 second activation time. . .then they made it so that it activated instantly. . .but the path it took to 'ride' from spawn to the side turret was increased. And now they're gone all together? :(

These changes are insane

I can understand the change for rated pre vs pre. For pug vs pre or even pug vs pug this is a really horrible idea.

I gotta agree. Rated will be very competitive and very close matches I would assume. Most pug vs pug(or premade vs pug) is so lopsided that its not even a fair fight(whether this is due to high lvl team vs a low lvl team. . .or a skilled team vs a no skilled team), typically it's obvious within the first 5 minutes who is gonna win the warzone.

At least the way it was, let the 'better team' slip up so to speak, making it easier for the worse of the two teams to defend. It actually made it so that a worse team could win against a better team(gear wise) if they just used proper tactics.

Who knows, maybe this route will create some new tactics and open up some new doors. It just seems so backwards.

I like the idea of removing the side speeders a lot actually. Hope that makes it to live.

Anything that makes it harder to defend and encourages shifts in the tide I like.

It encourages that the side with the better equip/zergers will almost always win, as the only way to counter that was to create bigger numbers at a node and holding it till reinforcements arrived.

That will no longer be possible as reinforces will just take too long and can be easily held off now (try running from spawn to a side to stop a tap, woho).

Anything that makes it harder to defend and encourages shifts in the tide I like.

I generally agree with that, but the speeder change seems to simplify the warzone into a zergfest.

Really, instead of worrying about those side speeders so much, I wish they'd do something about the advantages defense has on Voidstar.

It definitely sounds like one of the few good things about Alderaan (fluidity of the map) is getting removed with one central choke-point being installed instead. One more step toward an awesome Voidstar-esque AE murderball I guess. I haven't seen it yet though, so maybe it'll come out much better than I'm expecting.

I like the idea of removing the side speeders a lot actually. Hope that makes it to live.

I think you'll see less shifting without them as now middle becomes the only point worth fighting over. The only reason to go for the sides was their ease of defense. Now that that's gone, it will boil down to who controls the middle.

In a typical scenario where you control your left and the other team controls both mid and your right, sending a group to attack right will be problematic. The enemy team knows you can only spawn at the center, so they'll camp just outside the landing area and cut you off from ever getting to right. Your other option would be to go left and then through the tunnel under mid to get to right, but that route will take much longer and give the defending team time to react.

STUPID IDEA.

Remember the ILUM CHOKE POINT AT THE BASE?

This is the same stupid idea that ruined Ilum.

You put a choke point and the better geared side just wins over and over and over.

This has to be a Imperial concept as they outnumber the Republic.

The main effect of the speeder change is to take double sides a bad strat. It was never a good strat but now it'd be really bad.

However since the side speeders don't exist you might see more people try to sneak attack a 3on2. Before a 3on2 has virtually no chance of working because whoever you killed first would've gotten back by the time you killed the second guy.

Having 7 guys camped at spawn won't work because the other side can go around it and take the underground path to your poorly defended turret and cap it trivially if you really have 7 guys waiting at the jump off point the whole time.

Having 7 guys camped at spawn won't work because the other side can go around it and take the underground path to your poorly defended turret and cap it trivially if you really have 7 guys waiting at the jump off point the whole time.

I don't think so - campers will see the other team dropping down from spawn to the left and can adjust accordingly, as they will have shorter distance to cover to both right and mid turrets (mid is mentioned just in case the other team attempts to drop left, go around to the mid and cap behind campers' backs). It looks like the only viable strategy is going to be "cap left + mid, then camp the spawn". Whoever caps 2 nodes first wins the game.

its quit simple why they even made the changes to begin with on the side turrents. The ability for the defending team to hold and defend is too strong. the mid doesnt count b/c its equal.

but the sides can be turtled easily, even with a 3 sec cast if there is one person alive he can run hide, defensive cd + the time it takes to cap til the rest get there. takes the turrets aways and it levels the playing ground. turrents will switch hands more and the target to keep will be mid instead of sides.