Call for Developer Explanation on Class Balance

MatticusFinch

Maybe it should? I'm a focus Sent (since April) in regular BM gear (haven't played him since before 1.4 though, been levelling up alts lately) and I don't want to see the Focus spec in Bioware's nerf cross-hairs because of min/maxers doing more damage than what Bioware intended.

That would be one way to curb it, haven't thought of that before. I believe that's how they balanced this spec in 1.1 by nerfing surge rating returns on critical multipliers.

Maybe it should? I'm a focus Sent (since April) in regular BM gear (haven't played him since before 1.4 though, been levelling up alts lately) and I don't want to see the Focus spec in Bioware's nerf cross-hairs because of min/maxers doing more damage than what Bioware intended.

That solution would be like putting out a kitchen fire by bombing the house. You'd pretty much be screwing over every non-tank that participates in raids, as well as everybody who's re-modded pvp gear.

That solution would be like putting out a kitchen fire by bombing the house. You'd pretty much be screwing over every non-tank that participates in raids, as well as everybody who's re-modded pvp gear.

Not sure how you can say that when the point at which it starts to diminish and to what degree wasn't mentioned. I was thinking it would only start at very high power numbers and of course the benefit would be reduced, not eliminated.

Edited by RAVM

I have a theory.

It goes along the lines of some dev asking his 12 year old son what needed to be changed.

That or some kind of game of chance, possibly involving alcohol.

LOL, QFE.

His son has a group of friends that all play Mara and they said "We should be able to root lock people all we want and smash them to death in 3 seconds."

Not necessarily, it would only hurt the people who are stacking power well beyond what I see as BW's envisioned values for a fully geared player. You could start the diminishing returns around 600-700 power, which seems to be the standard top value for non-customized itemization, and have it go in gradations from there.

News flash, you aren't entitled to an explanation about anything. Have some personal responsibility and learn to adapt or play something else.

lol, you are a dork. Go take right-wing *** back to the woods and pick berries for the rest of your life or something.

Wait, what? I think you're mixing up your political stereotypes. It's supposed to be the far-left that picks berries in the woods. (stereotypes are often wrong, btw) I think people from all walks of life can agree that personal responsibility is a good thing. As it applies to this game, well... I don't really care about that. I just like to pvp and troll the forums while I, erm, take care of my morning constitutional.

That's right: you all entertain me while I make stool. Thank you for that.

See, you guys crying about Smash. You do realize, that as of 1.4 with all of the changes, they actually introduced two nasty bugs.

1) Smash will randomly hit 0-5 targets, when it should be hitting all of those that are in range. Sometimes, it will hit no targets at all, even if they are all piled up within 1m of each other.

2) Smash will hit, display the flytext numbers and everything....but remove zero health from the targets. You got that right, it does no damage even when it claims to do so.

If you had bothered reading the Jugg forums, you would see the thread about this instead of making yet another Smash Jugg QQ thread.

I play Annhilation spec. In before, BUT UR A MARA, KEKEKEKE!

2) Smash will hit, display the flytext numbers and everything....but remove zero health from the targets. You got that right, it does no damage even when it claims to do so.

The only thing more broken than that is when it actually does the damage that it claims to do.

Edited by MagnitudeZero

If you had bothered reading the Jugg forums, you would see the thread about this instead of making yet another Smash Jugg QQ thread.

Well your argument doesn't explain how the presence of bugs, which are unintentional, justifies the problem presented here regarding the unexplained and intentional changes to core gameplay that disrupt player balance in competitive environments when working as intended.

It would seem that you have missed the entire point of this discussion.

I want an explanation of what the developers were thinking because there is no clearly justifiable reason for these changes. Thank you.

--

Meet the Developers: Jesse Sky

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20121009

- What role do you enjoy playing the most in the game?

- I prefer roles that allow me to exercise a lot of control over the state of the battlefield. In Star Wars: The Old Republic, I play a Defense Guardian.

--

Edited by Missandei

How does that explain the buffs to FOCUS?

It helps explain why the guardians/juggernauts got a buff relative to the sentinels/marauders in focus, at least. While they both benefit the same from smash/sweep buffs, the new zen/berserk mechanics in shii-cho reduce the amount of damage that the focus sents/maras can do unless they go all out stacking power, as has been mentioned as imbalanced in this thread, that makes smash/sweep the one trick pony of the spec.

Honestly, if they want to avoid controversy and make the community happy, they should lie about what they play as because saying you play the class that is currently the FotM will lead us to believe that you built it to be that way.

Well your argument doesn't explain how the presence of bugs, which are unintentional, justifies the problem presented here regarding the unexplained and intentional changes to core gameplay that disrupt player balance in competitive environments when working as intended.

It would seem that you have missed the entire point of this discussion.

Don't bring logic into this. We're debating on emotion!

I am calling for an explanation from the developers who handle class balance to discuss why there was a buff to Focus/Rage trees in the recent patch as well as explaining why the damage from Force Sweep/Smash applies before the animation even begins now rather than after the animation occurs like it did pre-1.4.

My concern is that there cannot be any preparation against a move like that with it's current timing mechanism as opposed to the past when there was time to activate available defensive cooldowns like Force Shroud/Resilience or Force Camouflage to counter it. However now, these moves that can potentially do 7000 damage to multiple targets, cost no resource, and be activated more frequently than an already low 15s cooldown used to restrict cannot be prepared for except by guessing when the players will use them. The closest analog to this damage timing mechanism is Death Field/Force in Balance which can only hit 3 targets instead of 5 and does not have a damage ceiling near that of Smash/Force Sweep.

I want an explanation of what the developers were thinking because there is no clearly justifiable reason for these changes. Thank you.

You will not get an answer. When it comes to PvP balance, the devs will never communicate anything to the players. They ignore you completely. The sub money you pay them, they apparently forget about when it comes to PvP balance. They will only post on threads like the one talking about dueling in the fleet because it has nothing to do with PvP balance.

Been asking for a clarification on Consumption which is a sorcerer ability. It is totally broken for PvP since 1.2 and the player base hasn't heard a word in regards to what the devs feel about it. I've made multiple threads and so have others simply asking for an honest response to our thoughts and I'd venture to say not a single dev even read those threads. If they did, they laughed and neglected to post on it like every other PvP balance thread in existence on these forums.

The developers at Bioware sicken me. I could do a better job responding to the customer base in one day then their entire team of devs could do in one year.

Also, the smashes are hitting for considerably more than 7k. Someone has already posted a 9746 smash on the Prop5 pvp records thread.

You will not get an answer. When it comes to PvP balance, the devs will never communicate anything to the players. They ignore you completely. The sub money you pay them, they apparently forget about when it comes to PvP balance. They will only post on threads like the one talking about dueling in the fleet because it has nothing to do with PvP balance.

Been asking for a clarification on Consumption which is a sorcerer ability. It is totally broken for PvP since 1.2 and the player base hasn't heard a word in regards to what the devs feel about it. I've made multiple threads and so have others simply asking for an honest response to our thoughts and I'd venture to say not a single dev even read those threads. If they did, they laughed and neglected to post on it like every other PvP balance thread in existence on these forums.

The developers at Bioware sicken me. I could do a better job responding to the customer base in one day then their entire team of devs could do in one year.

Also, the smashes are hitting for considerably more than 7k. Someone has already posted a 9746 smash on the Prop5 pvp records thread.

See what's funny tho, they nerfed comsumption back in 1.2 (as well as taking away sorc's burst, as well as gimp our AoE because sorcs burst was their AoE and it can crit up to 5 people for 3k).

They nerfed comsumption proc so we wouldnt have unlimited force to spam heal yet they give us a 30s self heal that pretty much guarrentee 2 free comsumption which is plenty during the 30 second window anyway.

They nerfed our burst (and it wasnt even that bursty mind you 3k to up to 5 people) so 3k to 5 people is overpowered and had to be nerfed but 6-7k to 5 people is fine. Biofail is just so amazing and so hypocrite when it comes to their designs. e.g sorcs cant do 3.5k to 5 people but its ok for warrior to double that damage also to 5 people. It's not ok for operative to deal damage and burst too quick but it's ok for Sins to maul you for 7k+ discharge for 6k INTERNAL damage while also shocking you for 5k. All that while having force speed/100% tech/force immunity/deflection/25% damage reduction every single time they come out of stealth and everytime they click on blackout and blockout even auto resets cd, and theres no internal cd for this effect.

BW is just so amazing, look at the sub numbers EXPLODING rightnow... oh wait...

The derp is strong with this one.

Edited by warultima