A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

Daemonson

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are unbelievable.

Complaining about a moderate increase in repair costs for a game that otherwise has NO death penalty is silly--especially in game that gives credits away.

Others have pointed out the plethora of ways these so-called "expensive" repair bills can be paid for with mere minutes of work. The "I have a life" excuse is baseless.

But, again, there is no other death penalty. Had the prices been set where they currently are at launch, no one would have noticed or cared.

However, like everything else, people have to feel entitled.

In the end, it's just another silly excuse people use to drama-queen quit.

At least for me, it's foremost about the fact that Bioware is blatantly lying to us, the customers!

This is no "bug fix" as they claim! This shows us that the game is now controlled by MBA's instead of Developers.

FFS if you're both leaving, who am I going to forum-spar with? :(

LOL, Darth.

I'm not going to vanish quite yet. I do enjoy sparing with Urael....and yourself on occasion, but I'm not the "hot-head" that he is and won't just up and quit. I still have some faith and am going to wait and see how this plays out but currently I'm running two levels of raids in BH+ gear. Lower one's to keep our guild supplied with new geared bodies as people migrate in and out, one for progression. if I find myself having to run mindless content just to do that I probably will hang it up.

Still holding out hope though.

Edited by Blackardin

People are unbelievable.

Complaining about a moderate increase in repair costs for a game that otherwise has NO death penalty is silly--especially in game that gives credits away.

Others have pointed out the plethora of ways these so-called "expensive" repair bills can be paid for with mere minutes of work. The "I have a life" excuse is baseless.

But, again, there is no other death penalty. Had the prices been set where they currently are at launch, no one would have noticed or cared.

However, like everything else, people have to feel entitled.

In the end, it's just another silly excuse people use to drama-queen quit.

Time to step off of your soapbox and enter reality.

You must love the fact that entire guilds have been leaving, but f#$^ them right? :rolleyes:

It's been said before, your average (male) SWTOR player in his mid 30s with job and kids does not have the time to play in the conditions the increased repair costs dictate. While I can burn money on the cartel market like crazy and afford to pay plenty of real cash, I simply can't afford to play more than I'm playing now. If there's no mechanism for the majority of your player base to stay financially afloat with in game cash they're going to walk away. If my sub hadn't just ticked over I would have walked away already. I'm crossing my finger that a fix is in the pipeline, but quite frankly I'm getting more and more pessimistic about the game.

SWTOR can be an excellent mix between a serious MMO and an enjoyable past time for casual players. The increased repair cost have only tilted it in a way excluding anyone who is not willing or capable to spend twice the time on dailies they'd spend in progression runs.

And the formula that calculates repair cost is definitely out of whack. Below the repair costs for 1 death for

1 x Shadow tank, full black hole , with Cartel Chest, but BH shells otherwise: 9106 credites

1 x Sage DPS, mostly legacy gear, with BH and Dread Guard, 12600 credits,

1 x Commando DPS, mostly legacy gear, with BH and Dread Guard, 8329 credits,

1 x Gunslinger, mostly Tionese with some recruit, 5761

It seems there's a vanity penalty if you wear certain shells.

While I'm no longer in my 30's, I do have a job and kids. I work 50+ hours a week, bowl 3 nights a week on different leagues, sometimes subbing on my non-league nights, coach the youth bowling league my daughter is in, help around the house with things like laundry, dishes, etc. If I have time to sign on most days, I'm lucky. Even rarer are the days I get to spend more than in game. I do not relish having to spend any of the time I get to play doing dailies, but I do it because it's one of the easier ways to earn credits. I do not rely solely on dailies for my credit income. I also craft and sell items mats on the GTN.

The increased repair costs impact me, as well. I'm just not here crying for them to be reverted to what they were before the bug fixed.

If the repair costs are not being calculated as it seems that EA/BW intends that they should be, based on the item modifications and not the shell, then that should be corrected. It should not cost more to repair a purple dread guard chest piece shell with dread guard mods than it does for black talon level orange chest piece with those same dread guard mods. The cost to repair both items should be the same, based on the them having the same mods. This may not be the same as pre 1.7 costs, though.

At least for me, it's foremost about the fact that Bioware is blatantly lying to us, the customers!

This is no "bug fix" as they claim! This shows us that the game is now controlled by MBA's instead of Developers.

Nah, there are other options.

I'm sort of hoping it's the "One of our developers saw the bug on the list and fixed it without any forethought, communication, or testing" thing. Guess we'll see. Joveth said they're looking into it so he owes us an answer.

He may be obsessive, he may even be offensive, and yeah, one could accuse him of being harsh

.....but he is absolutely correct in his assessment of this debacle. ;p

.....and you didn't go back far enough. Unreal has always been harsh, but he has never been a liar. I can also validate his claim that he was once a staunch supporter of this game, as was I.

Thanks man. I know we butted heads a bit. Nice knowing that even though people don't see eye to eye on every issue there can still be mutual respect. :)

That goes for you also DT. ;)

I like the typo .. kinda "poetic" in an ironic sorta way ... :D

Limitations of a substandard search engine. I have pretty much posted daily since 20Dec2011. Not my fault that the full history of the forums is not visable via the search tool presented.

Your "research" is limited and your "causal" linkage is flawed. I did "play the heck" out of the game. I "enjoyed" what I played until I couldn't effectively play anymore. Patch 1.4 degraded my play due to nVidia graphics drivers and the "graphics enhancements" it never returned to pre-1.4 (and somehow around that time new drivers increased my WoW game play go figure ... ). I payed months of subscription after that waiting for a fix. Still to this date I am still in a "hitching" and degraded state. I can only solo, if more than a few people are shooting things I freeze so no war zones for me or ops. While I mainly solo this hasn't been too much of an issue, but I nolonger have the "option" of fully participating in all that SWTOR has to offer. Months of paying a sub. Waiting. Nothing. Now with the FFA PvP and all the jerks that it brings out and the untoward repair costs. How much more time should I give EA/EAware? Yeah I think in the end you and your ilk are the true trolls. You only offer strawmen and paltitudes with no substance for what passes for argument. :cool:

It's not worth it Ureal. No matter what you say, or bring up, people will not listen.

When the shoe is on their foot, the, and only then, will they realize what has happened tot his game.

I'm sorry that it came to this for you. Out of everyone I have talked to on the forums, I thought YOU would be here forever. My wife and I recently unsubbed as well. Due to ALL the bs from eaware. This is not the game from beta.

I understand games change from beta on, but this one has gone down the tubes. ( My opinion. people can flame it all they want,it means squat. Just like me saying it).

Good luck to you Ureal. Hope you find a game that is worth your time, and a forum you can "troll" lol.

Thanks man. I know we butted heads a bit. Nice knowing that even though people don't see eye to eye on every issue there can still be mutual respect. :)

That goes for you also DT. ;)

I like the typo .. kinda "poetic" in an ironic sorta way ... :D

LOL, that's hilarious! I did it in two threads. Totally unintentional. I blame the spell checker!

....and You're welcome. Was easy. You've always been forthright.

Edited by Blackardin

Alright, this is the last post I'm going to make about this particular topic. These boys who cried wolf are going to be back within the week mark my words. They're only trying to get attention from Bioware to get what they want and trying to threaten Bioware by saying "if you don't change the game so it suits my personal needs I'm going to stop paying to play or stop playing altogether". Bull. Once you get what you want or get a compromise you'll be back, they always come back, it happens in WoW and it will happen here. :rak_03:

Alright, this is the last post I'm going to make about this particular topic. These boys who cried wolf are going to be back within the week mark my words. They're only trying to get attention from Bioware to get what they want and trying to threaten Bioware by saying "if you don't change the game so it suits my personal needs I'm going to stop paying to play or stop playing altogether". Bull. Once you get what you want or get a compromise you'll be back, they always come back, it happens in WoW and it will happen here. :rak_03:

Not in my case. I gave them a year. I am done. If they fix things I won't continue to warn others away from their property ( and I do when SWTOR is brought up in other MMORPGS I play. Whether it's on general chat or in guild chat or the forums I visit). If things are fixed and people ask my opinion of SWTOR I will say, "It's best that you make up your own mind about that product." That will be the best I can ever offer them. The damage is done; my money will go to "another". :cool:

Edited by Urael

The thing that you're failing to realize is that people complain when they want to keep paying for a service that has changed to become not worth paying for any longer.

These are GOOD people to have around.

They do much more good for the game than people who argue in the developers' favor regardless the impact of the issue and those who simply and silently quit playing.

Before Tuesday, no player ever said, "The repair costs are too damn low!". Think about that.

How will you spin this one BW? Another 'internal miscommunication', or the 'patch notes were mislabeled'? It would be nice for you if the 1.2 patch notes didn't exist but they do. If intended changes in prior patches are conveniently labeled as bugs in future patches for the sake of removing money from the economy, how are we to believe anything you say regarding anything else in the future?

Just be honest and say this was a veiled attempt at deflation.

Well thanks for that, there, Yoda. ;p

Unfortunately, some of us can see where this would head and my crystal ball says that they will discover the bug that launched repair bills into space, fix it, and we will all live happily ever after.

If the repair costs are not being calculated as it seems that EA/BW intends that they should be, based on the item modifications and not the shell, then that should be corrected. It should not cost more to repair a purple dread guard chest piece shell with dread guard mods than it does for black talon level orange chest piece with those same dread guard mods. The cost to repair both items should be the same, based on the them having the same mods. This may not be the same as pre 1.7 costs, though.

As far as I can tell, repairs and resale value were OK before this "fix".

The same armor piece with nothing in it went up proportionnally with armoring, with armoring + mod and with armoring + mod + enhancement. So, reading the patch notes, I assumed the issue had something to do with empty shells resale, which would drop to zero, and nothing else...

Reading this thread, it seems only some zero resale value shells were showing ridiculously low repair costs, but wearing them on purpose should have been considered a bug exploit, then.

How will you spin this one BW? Another 'internal miscommunication', or the 'patch notes were mislabeled'? It would be nice for you if the 1.2 patch notes didn't exist but they do. If intended changes in prior patches are conveniently labeled as bugs in future patches for the sake of removing money from the economy, how are we to believe anything you say regarding anything else in the future?

Just be honest and say this was a veiled attempt at deflation.

I don't care how they "spin" it. I just want them to fix it so I can get back to doing flash points without worrying how many wipes Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber will cause... and all the rest of the things I enjoy in the game.

Believe me, bioware is not reconsidering anything.

In their mind they fixed something which was broken... not even understanding that maybe the fact that it was broken saved them. Indeed, I (and certainly many others) would have cancelled my subs way before today if they had applied such ridiculous repair price in 1.2.

Anyway.. the only factor which matter for such company is real money.

Devs do not listen players.. but they listen to their Manager who at some point are listening to the financial director.

Hence, any subscription cancellation does count.. and will be analysed end of the month.

If after 1.7, they record a pick of cancellation and read the reason you attach to it ( swtor not fun , ridiculous repair price etc.), I tell you that the Dev will be asked to change that ASAP.

At the end it's just a matter of who you are :

- a hardcore player who can play hours, grind all dailies several time a week and can afford repair cost.

- a different type of player, who doesn't want to grind dailies just to afford any repair cost in OPS/FP etc. (whatever your reason)

I guess that the second type of players will cancel their subs at some point anytime soon..

To all people who are calling people like me "crying b / QQ" because I'm complaining about the sudden high repair cost, all consequences on the community etc.. I hope that you all have enough real money to give to EA... othewise believe me they'll not think twice to shut down all servers.

Don't forget, F2P and member with subs are suppose to save this game.. but if too many members start to cancel subs..oh welL..

Edited by Raiders

To all people who are calling people like me "crying b / QQ" because I'm complaining about the sudden high repair cost, all consequences on the community etc.. I hope that you all have enough real money to give to EA... othewise believe me they'll not think twice to shut down all servers.

Don't forget, F2P is suppose to save this game and subs member as well.. but if they cancel subs..oh welL..

and then EA will have to see if the remaining players bring enough money on the table to keep the servers up.

All you have to do is look to WAR to see the future of SWTOR. One or two maintenance servers. :cool:

Anyone else amused that they closed the older 5* thread that mainly is against the price increases in favor of the newer 0* thread that has many "fans" arguing in favor of the price increases? :cool:

You preaching to the choir my man!

I used to be a lot more active on the forums , but i had a serious flaw in me it seems...I had an opinion that EAware didn't like. Hell in the last 2 months more then 70% of the posts i made vanished in a few Mod-Click thread delete.

And just why is it that when those criticism threads get deleted you see a new thread the next day but now it's filled with positive feedback...

for the repair cost i haven't been hit quite as hard as others, but most of my toons are in cheap Orange gear with good lvl mods but the best I have is Columi with BlackHole mods and on my Columi toon i'd say about 60% increase (used to be ~1.5k for a round of Dailies now is more like 2.5k)

But i know others that got more then doubled like my Jedi Tank friend

Believe me, bioware is not reconsidering anything.

In their mind they fixed something which was broken... not even understanding that maybe the fact that it was broken saved them. Indeed, I (and certainly many others) would have cancelled my subs way before today if they had applied such ridiculous repair price in 1.2.

Anyway.. the only factor which matter for such company is real money.

Devs do not listen players.. but they listen to their Manager who at some point are listening to the financial director.

Hence, any subscription cancellation does count.. and will be analysed end of the month.

If after 1.7, they record a pick of cancellation and read the reason you attach to it ( swtor not fun , ridiculous repair price etc.), I tell you that the Dev will be asked to change that ASAP.

At the end it's just a matter of who you are :

- a hardcore player who can play hours, grind all dailies several time a week and can afford repair cost.

- a different type of player, who doesn't want to grind dailies just to afford any repair cost in OPS/FP etc. (whatever your reason)

I guess that the second type of players will cancel their subs at some point anytime soon..

Don't forget, F2P is suppose to save this game and subs member as well.. but if they cancel subs..oh welL..

and then EA will have to see if the remaining players bring enough money on the table to keep the servers up.

When they report their quarterly performance to upper management they will blame any drop in player count on competition from other games or fluctuations in solar wind patterns. Therefore, don't expect their higher ups to have a clue much less drop the hammer.

Edited by Projawa

The thing that you're failing to realize is that people complain when they want to keep paying for a service that has changed to become not worth paying for any longer.

These are GOOD people to have around.

They do much more good for the game than people who argue in the developers' favor regardless the impact of the issue and those who simply and silently quit playing.

Before Tuesday, no player ever said, "The repair costs are too damn low!". Think about that.

people who complain because they want to keep playing might be good to have around (though IMO, that depends on how constructive their complaints are)

but what good are the people who complain all the while saying - nothing you do will keep me paying, I'm done with you all. why would you listen to people like that why would you take any of their concerns seriously? after all nothing you do will sway them, so why even bother?

I haven't been raiding lately so this doesn't affect me personally, but the first thing that came into my mind about this issue is that it benefits the cartel market.

If there are too many credits floating around the game, many players are more likely to just spend in-game currency on cartel legacy unlocks and gear. Soaking up some of that cash with extra repairs makes people turn to the real world to purchase things.

My 2:sy_auction:.

Actually your right, I stopped buying the cartel packs with CC and use my extra credits, now if I'm spending too much on repairs doing raids, this prevents me from getting those packs that other people spent real cash to aquire. That means the less people buying them will eventually drive prices much lower eventually killing the market all together and EA/BW loses real income.

This is a really interesting discussion. I dont really have a horse in the race because Im a new player (Im subbing but Ive only playead 3 weeks and am at level 31) and when I wipe it seems extremely forgiving as compared to the other MMO I used to play (original Everquest).

If my only penalty for trying to do crazy nonsense is I have to pay some credits, Im probably never going to complain. Its a hell of a lot better than having to run back to your body to get it, then sitting in a zone for an hour offering 100 pp for any cleric with a water sprinkler to rez you because otherwise you are losing exp, which you spent hours grinding for.

Either way, when you quit from a game its generally over a larger frustration than just an increase in credits. My guess is that there is an overall frustration and this is just something that is pushing people over the ledge. In my opinion the worst part about this is that they did it right before a major upgrade. I had some optimism that new content, etc would maybe revive this place because I honestly enjoy the storyline and its a pretty fun game to play.

Anyways, I just hope that EA/BW keep the player base in the loop because it would suck to have massive quitting right before an expansion.