What? Why?

BewBo

While those in the Military do work for it's citizens, it is doubtful that they take advice from one specific individual. If by some chance there are AD's playing SWTOR, I can all but guarantee that this is used while on downtime; not from some guard on patrol.

Most servicemen that appear to play here are prior enrollees like myself. And for those on AD, keep your sense of humor; makes things so much more bearable.

And that's assuming they are even deployed right now. As you know but others may not, when you are back stateside and not doing training for an upcoming deployment, it really is akin to a 9-5 job. You might have 24hr duty or something may end up keeping you there afterwards but in general when you get released for the day your down time is yours to do with whatever you want. If you're a single person and you want to go grab dinner and a beer with friends you can do that, or you want to do some laundry and play video games you can do that. Or maybe you're married and have kids then you'd probably go home and be mom or dad for awhile. Clean house some or do laundry while helping Johnny with his homework or whatever. It's a bit different if you are deployed or in training. Anyways like you said though the game could be their way of destressing and winding down and relaxing. Those men and women are only human and do need to relieve stress just like anyone else.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a reason I dislike stats; made to dance without context. Look at the area of conflict in these examples, and one can easily see a factor in the difference of numbers. And while Vietnam may have been smaller in conflict, the cost is always higher than the number of those that served (eg; families, country, monetary, political, etc).

Plus current leaders do have loved ones in service; also volunteers, I believe.

Not to mention some are in the service themselves, or were while still in office. Mark Kirk from Illinois before his stroke or aneurysm which ever it was, was in the Navy as a Navy Intelligence officer while in office.

Edited by Hyfy

Military does always bite on the simplest bait.

We shouldn't have stopped doing ticker-tape parades after world war2, the way veterans were treated since the korean war was starkly worse and the way it was satirized on M*A*S*H just brought the entire veteran culture downhill from there.

Blame "the news".

They'll spend days covering a Michael Jackson trial while they blindly accept blanket censorship and sanitizing of wars.

It's one of the more constructive debates people can have about a military topic, I like when it comes up. :) There's strong arguments for both sides.

I agree, and like I said I can see both sides of that argument.

I agree, and like I said I can see both sides of that argument.

I contend that it could be one option of several. Having HS grads learning to serve others could take place in a few different fields: Military, Hospitality and Service Industries, Charities, etc.

My POV is that I have seem more examples of selfish behavior in the past 30 yrs, and that training in service to others should be something to consider in our youth besides wasting away in institutions of higher learning; either real or so-called colleges. I say that as someone that majored in Freshmen for a long, long time.

It has been said a test of character can be seen in how someone treats the working staff, like in waitresses, clerks, etc. And in my opinion, the current social environment is not passing said tests very well. Perhaps they need the same kind of wake-up call I received.

I contend that it could be one option of several. Having HS grads learning to serve others could take place in a few different fields: Military, Hospitality and Service Industries, Charities, etc.

My POV is that I have seem more examples of selfish behavior in the past 30 yrs, and that training in service to others should be something to consider in our youth besides wasting away in institutions of higher learning; either real or so-called colleges. I say that as someone that majored in Freshmen for a long, long time.

It has been said a test of character can be seen in how someone treats the working staff, like in waitresses, clerks, etc. And in my opinion, the current social environment is not passing said tests very well. Perhaps they need the same kind of wake-up call I received.

Well I'm looking at it more from the aspect of, with a mandatory 2 year stint in the military after graduating there are a couple things. First said enlistees end up getting a job skill or skills instead of sitting around in mom and dad's basement till they turn 30. Second, and this one is a bit more subjective some getting more out of it than others, I think we would see a lot less of people like Trevalon as they would gain some perspective and who knows maybe find out that the military members do more to protect those freedoms then he would give them credit for. Maybe, just maybe people like him would learn a little pride, and figure out why we consider it a brotherhood.

Military does always bite on the simplest bait.

We shouldn't have stopped doing ticker-tape parades after world war2, the way veterans were treated since the korean war was starkly worse and the way it was satirized on M*A*S*H just brought the entire veteran culture downhill from there.

MASH was not a satire of people in the military or of veterans, it was a satire of unthinking bureaucracy.

MASH was not a satire of people in the military or of veterans, it was a satire of unthinking bureaucracy.

The funny thing for me with that show is my old man loved the show and I never got it. Then I got older, joined the Army, and eventually got out. It wasn't until after I got out and sat down one day watching an episode with my old man, and it occurred to me. I finally got it. I finally understood the allure it had for my dad. Of course having been stationed in Korea for 15 months didn't hurt either.

The funny thing for me with that show is my old man loved the show and I never got it. Then I got older, joined the Army, and eventually got out. It wasn't until after I got out and sat down one day watching an episode with my old man, and it occurred to me. I finally got it. I finally understood the allure it had for my dad. Of course having been stationed in Korea for 15 months didn't hurt either.

Enjoyed the series; not a fan of the film.

A major reason I do not want mandatory inclusion into service is that it was a huge error for me at that young age; had no clue, and was far too immature to shoulder that responsibility well. As mentioned, this was my first time away from home solo, and was pretty much in shell shock until I returned home from AIT. Of course, Drill Instructors probably Fire For that Effect anyway.

Military service is not for everyone, and I still hold that it should be filled with those that choose to serve. I likely should have waited 2-5 yrs; not jumped into that frozen pool of reality right after graduation. What was seen when I enlisted before graduation was only the tip of an iceberg, and brothers, that water is cold! I likely should have had a couple years of other employment before taking the service as my first job.

As far as differences of opinion on the military, it probably can be seen in the films Platoon vs We Were Soldiers. The prior film reflects what was handed to us from the media all of those years, and the latter is more objective; a view from the eyes of a soldier, and is one of my favorite movies.

Edited by Elhanan

Military service is not for everyone, and I still hold that it should be filled with those that choose to serve. I likely should have waited 2-5 yrs; not jumped into that frozen pool of reality right after graduation. What was seen when I enlisted before graduation was only the tip of an iceberg, and brothers, that water is cold! I likely should have had a couple years of other employment before taking the service as my first job.

On that tangent, IMO the U.S. should have some sort of national service requirement, be it the military or some domestic "Peace Corps"-like service.

Let's not get carried away. Being in the U.S. military today is entirely a matter of choice. It's a worthy calling but no more worthy of praise than teaching in a public school or being a fire fighter, for example.

Possibly, but it kinda depends on the soldier, teacher, etc. And while teachers can place their lives on the line for others, it is not a requirement. Both of my parents were in education, but we are a bit more respectful of those that sign on to defend us with their lives at stake.

P.S. My Mom hates it when I speak like Mal.... :D

Edited by Elhanan

Let's not get carried away. Being in the military is entirely a matter of choice. It's a worthy calling but no more worthy of praise than teaching in a public school or being a fire fighter, for example.

It's actually much more worthy .

Edited by Kaedusz

It's actually much more worthy .

Matter of opinion. So, it's not "actually" much more worthy.

Possibly, but it kinda depends on the soldier, teacher, etc. And while teachers can place their lives on the line for others, it is not a requirement.

It's also not a requirement of the vast majority of military occupations, either.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Matter of opinion. So, it's not "actually" much more worthy.

It's also not a requirement of the vast majority of military occupations, either.

While it may not be expected of certain occupations, it may a requirement of all of them, as all had the same Basic training. A file clerk may be expected to place their lives on the line at the time, but it can happen when some aspire to grow in their fields (eg; Dwight Eisenhower).

While it may not be expected of certain occupations, it may a requirement of all of them, as all had the same Basic training. A file clerk may be expected to place their lives on the line at the time, but it can happen when some aspire to grow in their fields (eg; Dwight Eisenhower).

That is just as true of a public safety employee as it is of someone in the military whose job is primarily non-combat. Yes, in the U.S. Marines, everyone is essentially "in the infantry," but that's the Marines, by far the smallest U.S. service.

That is just as true of a public safety employee as it is of someone in the military whose job is primarily non-combat. Yes, in the U.S. Marines, everyone is essentially "in the infantry," but that's the Marines, by far the smallest U.S. service.

Hence the few, the proud.

Either way, as a Marine, I still sense animosity in that comment.

Public safety (ie; police, firefighters, etc) should also have increased respect, but the assertion earlier also including teachers. And the point here is that all have reasons to be proud of their service; hence the several like answers to the OP.

While it may be true that some Basic training is more challenging than others, as far as I am aware, all of them place a focus on service and the need for sacrifice.