Nerf Ion Railgun

Korithras

I do enjoy my gunship and the ion railgun but it's just OP and dumb right now. One hit and it wipes ALL of your engine AND weapon power? Come on.

The talent makes it drain 28, and the next makes it stop regen for six seconds. Your pool is 100, so it isn't "all".

Edit: fixed to 28

Edited by Verain

Who keeps full weapon and engine pool when there's snubfighters to kill?

Of course no one, but it's hyperbole to claim that 28 energy is "all" of it, in one hit. I don't think anyone disputes that ion is effective for disrupting this stuff, but if someone gets zeroed out by it, it either:

- Wasn't the first shot you took, and you didn't notice (I would definitely want my techs to install more alarms for stuff like this personally, but the in game indicator is the effect on your ship)

- Was the result of you being almost oom entirely, and the ion took the rest.

Of course no one, but it's hyperbole to claim that 28 energy is "all" of it, in one hit. I don't think anyone disputes that ion is effective for disrupting this stuff, but if someone gets zeroed out by it, it either:

- Wasn't the first shot you took, and you didn't notice (I would definitely want my techs to install more alarms for stuff like this personally, but the in game indicator is the effect on your ship)

- Was the result of you being almost oom entirely, and the ion took the rest.

Where are your getting 28 from?

Also no scout is every going to be close to full, imo if your over 50% your doing it wrong (unless booster recharge is active.)

ion rail hits might as well oneshot a scout because the chance of escape after being hit with one directly is so slim.

I don't really mind the AoE, but I think it shouldn't be able to bounce off of things like the satellite turrets. Bouncing off players is fine, but taking advantage of a turret that players cannot control or effect is just dumb.

Here are all of the ways it makes every other weapon in the game look pitiful:

* Ion Railgun can reduce any ship's shields to zero in one shot, except for a Bomber with overcharged shields

Just to put my 2 cent here.....

My Rycer with Directionnal Shield on its front can take 2 Ion pretty easily..... and since normally the gunship never see me before i'm at 6500 m and i open fire with my heavies on bypass and begin to lock my concussion missile, the gunship is dead.

Sure Barrel Roll is weird on a gunship. It should be taken away as the sensor component from gunship. Yep, definately take away sensor component from gunship and make dampening work again so my navadive could get behind a striker and take it down without being seen before 5000 m :cool:

Seriously except dampening which is borked cuz gunship have it and make it really OP, while they should never had access to it at first, things are fine.

Except idiotic pilots who can't fly their ship without doing something stupid.:p

False, false, false, we've been over this. If I can escape ion lockdown in my lumbering gunship you definitely can in your scout.

No false.

As a gunship you spend a lot of time sitting still at full engine power. If you get hit you will still have engine power left to escape with. However scouts use their engine constantly, on my FF I'm usually sitting at 30% to 65% engine power. At those levels one ion hit will take all of my power and since it stops regen I won't be able to get enough back before I get shot again.

Also even if I had a trickle of power the only thing I could do with it is pop engine component, and nothing except barrel roll will mean anything to a gunship 12km away.

No false.

As a gunship you spend a lot of time sitting still at full engine power. If you get hit you will still have engine power left to escape with. However scouts use their engine constantly, on my FF I'm usually sitting at 30% to 65% engine power. At those levels one ion hit will take all of my power and since it stops regen I won't be able to get enough back before I get shot again.

Also even if I had a trickle of power the only thing I could do with it is pop engine component, and nothing except barrel roll will mean anything to a gunship 12km away.

Try getting hit with it on a Pike. :p

Sometimes in the middle of a fight you get hit with an ion blast and you're just... so FUBAR'd you just start to giggle.

Edited by Jandi

Sneaking on a scoping gunship is so easy.... You just learn his position from communication sensor. You go behind him or at least beside him while stayng at 20 000 m ideally 25 000 m. It doesn't matter if you lose him, he won't move and if he does just rince and repeat on another one. When you are ready to charge, you double your front shield and put power to engine then charge. Wh en you reach 7000 m put power to weapon and stop boosting in. Just hold accelerate until you are at 6500 m. Then shift to decelerate, open fire and, two second after, begin to lock your concussion.

From there two things happen.... Or the gunship explode. Or he barrel roll away nd you just have to chase him and finish him.

If ever he see you and position himself to take you out. the doubled directionnal will allow you to reach him and eat about half his health and lock your concussion before the ion eat your shield. From there or the gunship eat your concussion or he barrel roll away. If he barrel roll away just put power to shield and chase him. If he eat your concussion and is still alive, you can only hope you have the time to kill him before he slug you....

For this I have only a few tricks. First, shuffling your shield. If you are fast enough you can strenghten your front shield by balancing your shield then resending the power to your front. Second, you should also put the power to your shield.

Sure Barrel Roll is weird on a gunship. It should be taken away as the sensor component from gunship. Yep, definately take away sensor component from gunship and make dampening work again so my navadive could get behind a striker and take it down without being seen before 5000 m :cool:

Seriously except dampening which is borked cuz gunship have it and make it really OP, while they should never had access to it at first, things are fine.

Sounds like you don't want gunships to have anything other than a big target...

Sounds like you don't want gunships to have anything other than a big target...

Nerf the ion railgun and the quarrel/mangler becomes an absolute sitting duck.

Even the fail gunship will become superior with a torpedo to fall back on.

Ion railguns do not give the gunship the ability to pwn scouts, they cant take out drones and the like without multiple shots(which = multiple opportunities to ID and destroy the gunship, all just to take out some bomber spam) dampening sensors have been rendered useless, gunships can't shoot without a 1/4 bar of energy, and if they do they simply have it all drained and no shot is fired at all, but they still keep the giant blue glow never the less.

Gunships in general, including Ion were heavily nerfed.

Please can we stop crying because a good GS pilot got the best of you?

You won't stop until gunships become completely stationary, shieldless, and with only a 500m plasma railgun.

Gunships are not broken, the only problem other than known bugs GSF has right now have to do with balanced queues.

-Delete thread-

It's enough that it depletes our shields in one hit, taking all engine and blaster power is just overkill and essentially makes it so that we might as well just be killed in one shot by the ion cannon if it's going to work this way.

Noting that sensor dampening is useless, if the gunship is in range of your craft that is superior in all aspects other than range, you fail to detect it and destroy it before it hits you with it's guns, then that's the brakes.

Should have been more aware.

There really is no excuse for being downed by a lone gunship anymore.

You got hit in the *** with ion while you were in a scout and the gunship destroyed you because you didn't boost away properly?

Good on the gunship, it did what it's class does, and did it right.

Maybe we should link up the "why won't those ***** gunships dogfight my scout?!?!?!" thread in here for some more color?

No false.

As a gunship you spend a lot of time sitting still at full engine power. If you get hit you will still have engine power left to escape with.

Frequently false, particularly in the situations where I will actually be hit by an enemy gunship (I am repositioning or pursuing). More importantly, I have a high survival rate even when the ion shot takes me to 0.

However scouts use their engine constantly, on my FF I'm usually sitting at 30% to 65% engine power. At those levels one ion hit will take all of my power and since it stops regen I won't be able to get enough back before I get shot again.

Nothing but barrel roll... or LOS. Or at closer ranges simple lateral flyin.

I fly scouts and gunships. There isn't a gunship on my server that I cannot kill or chase away while on my scout. I am not a Scrab, Toe, or Schock, or any of the other elites. But I have fought all of them. Even Schock can be killed 1 vs 1, or made to flee the area. Instead of 'crying' nerf this, nerf that. Why not learn how to fight with what you have. If the bad ole gunship is giving you grief. Respawn and go kill it or chase it back to the capital ship. As to why the Ion railgun has an AOE effect. If you think about the expansion and collapse of any EM field, this effect would be present. Collapsing EM fields can and do pass through solid objects to do damage or generate energy in other objects. Learn to fight, with what you have. See you on the battle field..:) Bwulf/Arkillews POT5

I don't mind gunships. I fly one. I don't mind ion railguns generally. I use one. But they are overtuned right now. They drain too much energy too easily. If one shot doesn't drain it all the next shot will. And it's AOE.

A few tweaks would make it better such as:

--a reduction of energy drain

--energy drain that is proportionate to the amount of railgun charge

--and so on.

I think the evasion tweaks and bypass changes were good changes. Scouts no longer feel invulnerable. Railgun no longer one-shot people (except in TDM with the damage boost buff). Those ships are still playable. They're just not OP. The ion railgun needs similar fixes, not to make it useless but to bring it in line with other tools.

One little aside: it's interesting how certain players who used to play scouts have migrated over to gunships following the evasion nerf.

Draw your own conclusions. ;)

As we are on the same server, you would think that I would recognize any of the mid/good scout fighters, on the pub side, that 'migrated'. But I don't. With the introduction of TDM maps, many have been forced to outfit and fly gunships, in order to remain competitive and provide support to the team. When flying my scout, I hate getting hit by ion rail. If I am in a dog fight, only a miracle can keep me flying. I use TT and not booster recharge, so I am a sitting target for many a long second. But if I do get away, or after re-spawn, I track down the gun ship. And it will leave the area or die (given it dose not have a team protector). No amount of ion rail gun can save it. When I am on my gunship and a scout/strike/another gunship, takes the time to sneak up on me, I feel very fortunate if I can avoid giving the enemy a kill point by fleeing to my cap ship. Again, because no amount of (my) ion rail gun will save me. In fact, I would challenge anyone to name a load out on a gun ship that will enable it to dogfight either a scout or strike. I don't know how well a GS would do 1 vs 1 on a bomber, never had that happen yet. Is ion rail powerful? Absolutely. Is it OP relative to everything else that's out there? No. Not in my opinion. (Ever tried flying a scout in a confined space(B or C in domination) while an enemy is laying mines or drones while your fighting another scout?) I say again, if your afraid of gunships, learn to fight with the ship of your choice. Once you have begun to really get the feel of whatever it is that your flying, you will not feel intimidated by gunships. They have a place, a purpose, but they are far from being unstoppable. Bwulf/Arkillews POT5 Look forward to seeing you on the battle field. :)