Help needed with HM Writhing Horror

My guild and I are running HMTFB regularly and getting stuck at 13% with the writhing horror.

We are running the strat from dulfy.net and doing everything to a T.

We all have full BH augmented and even a few 27's here and there.

Did anyone else while learning the fight seem to hit the enrage here too?

What did you all do to pick it up just that little bit ?

Hi there,

With BH and no one being killed along the way you shouldn't be hitting the enrager .

I know this sound harsh but sounds like one of your DPSer maybe missing something., what's classes are your DPSers? As with A Marauder putting up blood thirst and debuff from BH, etc. you SHOULD be fine.

As far as I'm aware, when I run a timer for my guild the enrage timer is 5:45.

What you can try doing (if you only use dps for the red pools) is having a Merc or Operative healer standing in the first red pool, this gives the dps a bit more time to attack the boss. Using this method we have the Writhing Horror dead before the 4th red pool.

Although, if you're struggling on the enrage timer for this fight, which is fairly generous, and are all 61 / 63 geared, your dps just aren't putting out enough damage. Ask them to enable combat logs on the fight and to upload them to http://www.torparse.com, if they're below 1400 you will have problems.

If your dps are 61/63 geared and below 1400 on that fight, then it's their rotation.

Edited by I_Sithed_MyPants

The easiest mistake to make is to push the boss down below 15% while the other adds are still up. Wait until the third jealous male is dead and you should be fine.

This. We've had issues lately of too much DPS, during the 3rd pool we push him below 15% and now we have the little adds, the jealous male, and the extra adds from the burn phase all at once, which can be too much to handle.

If you're close to the 3rd pool (you'll know you're close when boss returns to where you tank him at the start of the fight), stop DPS at around 20% and just kill the adds before going back to the boss. If you're hitting 4 pools you're probably hitting hard enrage, as it happens just after the 4th pool.

My guild and I are running HMTFB regularly and getting stuck at 13% with the writhing horror.

We are running the strat from dulfy.net and doing everything to a T.

We all have full BH augmented and even a few 27's here and there.

Did anyone else while learning the fight seem to hit the enrage here too?

What did you all do to pick it up just that little bit ?

As others have posted already, taking WH below 15% after the 3rd male is dead is crucial. Other things you can try is stacking in the melee group for AoE heals and full coverage on your group from gunslinger/sniper shields can make a difference too. Make sure your tanks are AoE taunting whenever there are several adds running free in the raid.

Let me see if I can throw in some actual help, rather than suggesting that you just replace/monitor your DPS players.....

There is a way you can push the boss progression with lower than average DPS.

Pull the boss and track the debuff stacks on the tank. As soon as the tank has 2 stacks, have your other tank taunt the boss and carry on, mostly as normal. Then get your ranged DPS to kill the two small adds that spawn.

Then, when the 1st Jealous Male spawns... ignore the red circle and have the ranged DPS kill the Jealous. Melee DPS can stay on the boss. DON'T do a tank swap.

You'll need to be ready for the 2nd red circle. The timing is tight for it. You'll need to have someone ready to step in the red circle furthest away from the boss at that point, if that one is picked. There will be more small adds than normal, but AoE'ing them down once they reach the red circle should be easy enough as long as you've got 2+ ranged DPS.

After that, the fight continues as normal.

You'll be swapping time DPSing the adds for time DPSing the boss. That should give you the boost you need to kill the boss on schedule.

This line intentionally left blank

Edited by Woetoo

Let me see if I can throw in some actual help, rather than suggesting that you just replace/monitor your DPS players.....

Pull the boss and track the debuff stacks on the tank. As soon as the tank has 2 stacks, have your other tank taunt the boss and carry on, mostly as normal. Then get your ranged DPS to kill the two small adds that spawn.

Then, when the 1st Jealous Male spawns... ignore the red circle and have the ranged DPS kill the Jealous. Melee DPS can stay on the boss. DON'T do a tank swap.

You'll need to be ready for the 2nd red circle. The timing is tight for it. You'll need to have someone ready to step in the red circle furthest away from the boss at that point, if that one is picked. There will be more small adds than normal, but AoE'ing them down once they reach the red circle should be easy enough as long as you've got 2+ ranged DPS.

You'll be swapping time DPSing the adds for time DPSing the boss. That should give you the boost you need to kill the boss on schedule.

While that might help them squeak by this fight, they'll still be hitting a wall on everything after (if its an enrage/not enough DPS issue). So unless you want to just be doing this one fight every week for a single piece of Hazmat gear, I would agree with others in their suggestion that your DPS either look into how to play their class better, or be replaced by better DPS.

That is, if its an enrage issue, which it might not be.

Hi there,

With BH and no one being killed along the way you shouldn't be hitting the enrager .

I know this sound harsh but sounds like one of your DPSer maybe missing something., what's classes are your DPSers? As with A Marauder putting up blood thirst and debuff from BH, etc. you SHOULD be fine.

1 merauder, one jugg.

1 sorc one bounty hunter

As far as I'm aware, when I run a timer for my guild the enrage timer is 5:45.

What you can try doing (if you only use dps for the red pools) is having a Merc or Operative healer standing in the first red pool, this gives the dps a bit more time to attack the boss. Using this method we have the Writhing Horror dead before the 4th red pool.

Although, if you're struggling on the enrage timer for this fight, which is fairly generous, and are all 61 / 63 geared, your dps just aren't putting out enough damage. Ask them to enable combat logs on the fight and to upload them to http://www.torparse.com, if they're below 1400 you will have problems.

If your dps are 61/63 geared and below 1400 on that fight, then it's their rotation.

Thanks for the reply.

all of the dps checked and are putting out 1600-1800. thats why i dont get it.

Thanks for the reply.

all of the dps checked and are putting out 1600-1800. thats why i dont get it.

you sure they put 1600-1800 within the fight and not the operation training thingy in fleet? Some players dash out good damage to those but due to some mechanical mistakes they make in the actual boss fight they dish out sometimes as worse as half that.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

To clarify, are you suggesting the 2 swap stat only until the second male and than doing the 4 dps on adds and 4 dps on male strat?

Or doing the 2 on boss whole time 2 on 2 adds and male whole time?

I also think that a new guild or replacing the dps is silly. If others can do it, so can we.

I don't want to take the impatient route. It can be done. The whole run can be done one shot with BH unaugmented.

While that might help them squeak by this fight, they'll still be hitting a wall on everything after (if its an enrage/not enough DPS issue). So unless you want to just be doing this one fight every week for a single piece of Hazmat gear, I would agree with others in their suggestion that your DPS either look into how to play their class better, or be replaced by better DPS.

That is, if its an enrage issue, which it might not be.

Thanks for your reply.

I definitely agree with improvement. I think for all players this fight brings you to the need for a new standard of playing. We will keep on working at it.

you sure they put 1600-1800 within the fight and not the operation training thingy in fleet? Some players dash out good damage to those but due to some mechanical mistakes they make in the actual boss fight they dish out sometimes as worse as half that.

Interesting you say such a thing. lol

2 of the dps have checked it on mox and the other 2 are going by the fleet dummy.

Interesting you say such a thing. lol

2 of the dps have checked it on mox and the other 2 are going by the fleet dummy.

And there are 2 kind of dummies, the low level one and the operations dummy. 1600-1800 on the low level dummy is simply terrible. The easiest way is quite simple : 8 players = 8 players on Mox with the same raid key.

If you are hitting an enrage, no matter which fight, it is always a DPS issue. Dummy DPS really doesn't help you here. A full compliment of logs will enable us to help you. But there are a few things I can add that help trouble shoot these issues:

1. Since you are hitting the enrage (5:45) this means you will have time to use Inspiration twice. Are you? In addition, are all 4 DPS in the same group so they all benefit from it?

2. Are all DPS using their adrenals on cooldowns (you'll be able to use them twice)?

3. Are all DPS using their click power relic and personal cooldowns on cooldown?

4. Is the non-active tank (once male is down, back on boss) focusing on DPS (stim switch if biochem, stance change)?

5. Are the DPS only giving the tank a couple second lead? I know some groups give upwards of 5-7 seconds, and that's too much of a DPS loss.

Once again, logs will help more than anything else. But it defiinately sounds like you have a significant DPS issue.

Edited by Mavery

If you are hitting an enrage, no matter which fight, it is always a DPS issue. Dummy DPS really doesn't help you here. A full compliment of logs will enable us to help you. But there are a few things I can add that help trouble shoot these issues:

1. Since you are hitting the enrage (5:45) this means you will have time to use Inspiration twice. Are you? In addition, are all 4 DPS in the same group so they all benefit from it?

2. Are all DPS using their adrenals on cooldowns (you'll be able to use them twice)?

3. Are all DPS using their click power relic and personal cooldowns on cooldown?

4. Is the non-active tank (once male is down, back on boss) focusing on DPS (stim switch if biochem, stance change)?

5. Are the DPS only giving the tank a couple second lead? I know some groups give upwards of 5-7 seconds, and that's too much of a DPS loss.

Once again, logs will help more than anything else. But it defiinately sounds like you have a significant DPS issue.

Thank you for your reply.

Indeed the issue is DPS output, but I want to know how.

The answer is yes to all except the stim/stance switch which I will employ since both tanks are biochem.

I wish I knew where our loss was, it would be so easy to figure out.

Here is another question.

I have seen many different strats regarding dps splits.

Is the best one still all 4 on adds and than all 4 on male?

We also tried 4 on adds, 2 on boss 2 on male which gave us our best results at 12% ENRAGE.

I have seen others go 2 dps on boss at all times, 2 on adds than those 2 on boss, tank on male by himself.

What are others doing for this? Is everyone running 4 dps on adds than 4 on male than boss for all males?

also make sure that you're hitting the enrage and not the 15% burn phase. you said you get him to about 13% and then he enrages so it might just be the burn phase. the first couple times we killed him we started falling quick during this phase and barely downed the boss. (the first time we actually wiped on the adds that spawn but managed to kill the boss) when he hit's 15% make sure you're dpsing the boss and not the adds. have your off tank (the one that happens to not be on the boss) taunt the adds and pop his def cooldowns to give your dps more time and make sure your healers still have force/energy at the end of the fight for this. so in short use a timer and if it's not the hard enrage just make sure you're handling the burn phase properly.

also make sure that you're hitting the enrage and not the 15% burn phase. you said you get him to about 13% and then he enrages so it might just be the burn phase. the first couple times we killed him we started falling quick during this phase and barely downed the boss. (the first time we actually wiped on the adds that spawn but managed to kill the boss) when he hit's 15% make sure you're dpsing the boss and not the adds. have your off tank (the one that happens to not be on the boss) taunt the adds and pop his def cooldowns to give your dps more time and make sure your healers still have force/energy at the end of the fight for this. so in short use a timer and if it's not the hard enrage just make sure you're handling the burn phase properly.

thanks for your reply.

At 15% we are still working through the last bit of the third male and adds. The WH turns red and hard enrages.

This is confirmed by the buff in red "enrage 200% damage increase.

Again the loss is the dps somehow, but where? It's not gear.

Fine tuning and advanced mechanics me thinks.

thanks for your reply.

At 15% we are still working through the last bit of the third male and adds. The WH turns red and hard enrages.

This is confirmed by the buff in red "enrage 200% damage increase.

Again the loss is the dps somehow, but where? It's not gear.

Fine tuning and advanced mechanics me thinks.

well then you are hitting the enrage. i would suggest putting everyone in MoX just to see what's going on and then having your top dps go in red circle after all other dps and top dps stays on boss no matter what. let your other 3 handle adds and jealous males. other than that are they keeping their debuffs up on the boss at all times? not using the right rotations is probably the only other thing it could be unless they just haven't optimized their gear yet. i remember with my sentinel i was trying to get him in BH as quick as possible and ended up with some pretty crappy stats until i started min/maxing. does your dps have to much acc / crit not enough power / surge? just something else to check.