CC mobs and melee tanking

Shadowaus

For one, CC should NEVER be the first thing that a mob does when you agro them. Often ill force leap into a group of enemies, and instantly im cc'd for 5-10 seconds, while the dps does their stuff and it all goes to hell and makes it impossible for a melee tank to get it all working together :/

That, or they could just fix melee tanking threat...

For one, CC should NEVER be the first thing that a mob does when you agro them. Often ill force leap into a group of enemies, and instantly im cc'd for 5-10 seconds, while the dps does their stuff and it all goes to hell and makes it impossible for a melee tank to get it all working together :/

I don't want you to take this the wrong way. Seriously, I don't.

Instead of complaining about it what do you think you can change that will rectify the situation? I'll give you a hint:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

- Albert Eintstein

I'm seriously not trying to bash you or aggro you. I'm trying to help you help yourself. Expecting TOR to function like another MMO is faulty reasoning. Expecting TOR to adapt to YOUR playstyle is faulty reasoning.

You clearly have enough experience to know how to tackle the situation. You just seem to be lacking the motivation.

Yep, that too. Using guard on the healer is pointless coz they're always more than 15m away too...

Guard should never, NEVER be on your healer unless you're PvP'ing. If your healer is pulling aggro off of you... you've got way bigger issues than tackling trash pulls.

Edited by Gankstah

That, or they could just fix melee tanking threat...

Every class has a CC escape move that you can use the moment you get hit with it. I get CC'd, I use it immediately. Hell, if I get hit with a 2 second stun I use it.

MtSteak beat me to it... but you know about your escape (get out of cc) ability right?

LOL at the idea of putting guard on your healer.

Healer dies, we die. DPS dies, still a chance to pull it out.

Yes, the amount of soft/hard cc on trash & bosses, is way too much. I often think I spend more time walking back or in cc, than i do actually tanking.

As for the comment about try something different...

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."

I shouldn't have to bend over backwards to do my job, and bring vasoline w/ me as well.

Dps just spams moves like always, heals spam heals.. like always. Only mechanic that's changed, is tanks are not tanks. They are just squeaky throw toys, for the mobs to toss around ad nauseum.

For the kb stuff, back to wall is about the only thing I can suggest. Just hope the target doesn't launch you to high, and bug out. (ie the dog boss in athiss can put you atop a building and bug out cus it can't smack you) The hard cc, the knockdowns, stuns, etc we have nothing to counter this other than a 2min cd move. NOT ENOUGH!

I suppose you could pull w/ saber throw, or some other long range move, and LoS the mess. Just have enough travel time, to nab CC as it chains in, and drop a smash or similar AoE when they come around the corner.

Oh, and just to be clear here... Since freakin when has DPS EVER.. and I mean EVER kept it in their pants long enough, for a tank to build enough tps or basically do their job? Only if they'd get kicked after being told how many times? You expect much from a PUG. So basically, what the real advice is.. "run w/ ppl you know or don't do it at all "

I shouldn't have to bend over backwards to do my job, and bring vasoline w/ me as well.

Dps just spams moves like always, heals spam heals.. like always. Only mechanic that's changed, is tanks are not tanks. They are just squeaky throw toys, for the mobs to toss around ad nauseum."

Didn't this game just go live? Do you mean this game is NOT exactly the same as a different one?

If you are paying money to "do a job", one which feels painful, then I feel really sorry for you. I played in a group the other day with three Gunslingers, plus Corso (so zero heals, zero tanks). While not my top choice for a four man team, we made do, had fun, then moved on.

Heres a novel idea. Since this is a group setting, why dont you have your DPS/heals help you out.

For example: Oh ****, I got CC'd, DPS can take it easy or or..... they use one of their own stuns/CC to make sure nobody dies while you are CC'd.

Every class has some sort of way to temporary stop an NPC in its tracks while you are CC'd.

I love that about this game. It doesnt just require the tank to be aware of everyone and everything, it encourages awareness from the entire group. I normally run with friends, but sometimes I find PUG DPS or heals depending on who is missing and I relish the fact that it isnt faceroll easy to hold everyone's threat. If a non strong/elite gets loose, I dont even bother with them, i expect one of my DPS to CC it or kill it. I'm much more careful with strongs/elites. If you're DPS is aware of their surroundings they should be able to help you out and throw a stun on anything that gets loose to give you time to pick them back up. It is extremely rare that any group I run with to wipe on trash. Now bugged bosses, thats a different story, lol but I suppose thats a different thread.

Edited by Dukibritches

Oh, and just to be clear here... Since freakin when has DPS EVER.. and I mean EVER kept it in their pants long enough, for a tank to build enough tps or basically do their job? Only if they'd get kicked after being told how many times? You expect much from a PUG. So basically, what the real advice is.. "run w/ ppl you know or don't do it at all "

Bad DPS is bad, if your dps can't keep it in their pants long enough, or refuse to follow any sort of kill order, then your problem is probably not a tanking problem, it is a dps problem. Let them die a couple times from the things they pull off you, and if they complain, tell them to kill things in the proper order and to give you a few seconds to establish threat. If you absolutely cannot find dps that aren't idiots, then I suggest you join a guild that will run stuff with you.

Here is a pro tip if you are constantly getting CC'ed by one mob in THAT trash pull. Have your DPS rush in first. They get CC'ed you stand back and pick up all the loose mobs.

Or just have some one CC the mob that's CCing you! If that's not possible, CC all the other silver/gold mobs, rush in. Let DPS take care of themselves against the normal mobs.

You know this game isn't LOS all the mobs, grab all of them together, AOE everything down like that other game.