Better thought put into recurring events

Arlon_Nabarlly

So far both recurring events can easily be completely completed within the first run of the event. This would make sense if it was a one-time event like the Rakghoul or a rare event that occurred once ever 6 - 12 months, but for these once every 1 - 2 month events it makes absolutely no sense. IMO if you are ever going to make another event that you intent to recur regularly (which I'm definitely not saying is something the game needs or wants) then one of following should be done:

A. Put 3 - 6 times more content into the event making it impossible to finish the event in 1 or event 2 runs of the event.

B. Make it so you can complete everything in one run, but add completely new stuff with each run.

C. Make it much rarer like once or twice a year.

Here's a thread showing people completing the BH event easily in it's first run with some people doing it in like 2 days:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6677166#post6677166

I would also love it if you fixed the BH and Gree events with one of the listed ideas.

Thanks for listening.

I'm happy with the event as-is. It already will take the average player a long time to get through. If they want to add additional rewards over time, then I think that's great. Just as long as they don't change or remove what is already there for the event.

If they only did this 2 or 3 times/year, it would take plenty of us 2-3 years to complete!

While I would like to see them add more bounties in the future, I would disagree that it was "easy" for everyone to finish everything in this event in one go.

If you have 6+ alts, and ran the event every day on each one of them, then yes, it was easy to max out. However, the more casual player who only has enough time to play 2 hours or less per night, and/or doesn't have more than 4 toons would find it difficult to finish all the bounties and achievements.

I feel like it was a good amount of content for the event to have the first time. I think the bounty event is more easily scalable, in that they can simply add more bounties for each planet, or include new planets. The Gree event has its own designated area, and as such, I believe it would take more work to add new missions.

I would like to see more reoccurring events in the future as well. Having a one time event that happens to be when you are unable to play for a week really sucks. Setting things up to be reoccurring from the beginning is great, IMO.

The alt thing makes sense but I generally only played 2 hours a night and still completed it.

I don't understand why people argue that the focus should be on the casual player. The causal player is the least likely to spend extra money on the CM and the most likely to quit the game when they get bored/busy/something new comes along. It seems to me focus on keeping the hardcore happy (at least with amount of content) and the casual will have so much to choose from they will be happy as well.

The alt thing makes sense but I generally only played 2 hours a night and still completed it.

I don't understand why people argue that the focus should be on the casual player. The causal player is the least likely to spend extra money on the CM and the most likely to quit the game when they get bored/busy/something new comes along. It seems to me focus on keeping the hardcore happy (at least with amount of content) and the casual will have so much to choose from they will be happy as well.

I disagree, in that it will never be possible to keep the most hardcore gamers happy with enough content, and that they are in fact the ones more likely to jump ship when the next game comes along.

I think it was important to BW to get the ball rolling on the BBA, and in time, they can always add more bounties, or have a completely different slate of bounties that come up each time it repeats. (I don't know if they will completely cycle them or not, but I hope they do)

EDIT:

Casual gamers are much less likely to get bent out of shape over changes to the game or perceived lack of content and ragequit the game. They tend to take things in stride and better realize "it's just a game". I enjoy progression raids with my guild, but still consider myself to be a fairly casual gamer. I don't see myself leaving SWTOR unless they were to shut the game down or some unforseen drastic events occur in my life.

Edited by GatorAndy

I am a casual player due to my real life and school schedule and I have here since before launch. Most of my guild is the same way and yet we have never thought about leaving for something else. I also purchase items from the cartel shop.

I enjoyed the event but I have to agree with the OP.

If you plan on bringing an event back every month, then you really need to make it larger than this one. No one should be able to complete 100% of a recurring event in one week.

I'd also like to add three things that I think Bioware should consider for their next recurring event.

a. Better Rewards: The Armor sets that are basically recolorings of older sets won't cut it. It's nice that now Imps can have the Smuggler hat, but apart from that everything else is already in the game in different colors. Before the dyes were added it kind of made sense to add new colors because that was the only way to change the colour of the existing sets, but after that it really doesn't make much of a difference. The only thing that changes is that now Jedi and Sith can look like bounty hunters - can't imagine why any Knight/Inquisitor/Warrior/Consular would want to, but whatever. Also, although I have no problem that they brought back the Bowcasters, I do think it's rather lazy of Bioware to have pretty much the exact same reward in the event a year ago. I won't comment on the pets, because frankly I couldn't care less about them.

b. More conversations: This event felt like it had the least dialogues of any event to date. An introductory dialogue, a small conversation with the bounty hunter in the Cartel Bazaar and the contacts on the different planets you have to visit - that's pretty much it. I don't think it's that big of a problem for one event to not have a huge amount of conversations, but I really don't want this to become the norm.

c. Enough with the non force related events: I get that there are Agents, Smugglers, Bounty Hunters and Troopers that do not use the force and that they shouldn't feel like everything is around force-users, but there are also Jedi and Sith that can and should from time to time get a storyline that is not about the X technological thing or the component needed to fix a droid companion or some bounties or, in general, something that has nothing to do with the core of the Star Wars mythos, which is the Force.

Edited by TheNahash