sorcerer or operative?

fitzle

with the changes coming up in 1.2 i am ready to roll a alt about now. i am a tank tho. so i havent played around with dps to much in this game. im trying to decide the alt to make either a sorcerer dps or a operative dps. i know sorc healing is getting a little nerf in the patch but im not looking for healing. is the dps getting a nerf too? and with the operative are they getting nerfed ? i know there not getting buffed lol.

i want pure dps i play both pve and pvp. i hear ops is not that good at pve dps but i like the challnge. im used to playing a rogue from wow and warrior dps.

any tips would help thanks =)

I play a scoundrel an there alot of fun you have to really pick your targets if you don't have a competent healer. I like it because your an opportunist you try an stay out of big skirmish's look for stragglers an any ranged dps foolish enough to leave the herd (not with there other ranged buddies) For stealth thou i much prefer the Shadow the opening burst of infiltration isn't as good as the scoundrel but it catchs up pretty fast. an they get sprint and resilience which removes/resists tech/ force abilitys very useful for pyrotechs/ an sorcerors.

Enjoy my Op far more than my Sorc, though Sorc rewards skilled gameplay far more than an Op does.

Edit: Basically what Im saying is you have to enjoy the difficult gameplay and micro managing an Op has to do in order to play the class, healing especially so. Thats the reason not many people play them, and the "LOLSTUNLOCK" one-trick kids left(so far as I can tell, they all rerolled Mercs and Sorcs).

Op healing is getting a bit of a buff, Concealment(dps) burst got a nerf and as a result sustained PvE dps is also getting a bit of a nerf because Bioware doesnt quite know how to do one without affecting the other.

And because enjoying an Op depends so much on your playstyle, it makes it a difficult class to recommend to people when there are easier alternatives(which is what most people want anyway) like a Sorc.

Edited by Achromatis

If you're looking to DPS, do not roll a melee class (even the over-buffed marauders in 1.2).

At the moment, melee damage dealers are the least desirable classes for endgame operations. Even if you manage to pull off slightly more damage than a ranged class, you're more vulnerable to damage and have to spend more time moving around than attacking. Most endgame progression guilds are running with a maximum of one melee damage dealer, simply because those operations are so much easier with ranged DPS.

I'd say they're both pretty versatile, but overall I'd give the versatility to operative. That being said operatives are more single target dps, where as sorcerers can put out some epic aoe dps.

Well their aoe epicness is one of the things targeted in 1.2. I would bet a lethality op could pump out similar dps after patch but likely less single target punch.

What I am interested in is Sniper aoe specs post patch and how they will measure up. They got some decent buffs.

Heals

After 1.2 [confirmed by healing logs on PTR]

Sorcs will still be... *drum rolls please and make sure to Gasp aswell to act surprised*

>Op.

Dps...*Drum rolls again*

>>>>>>>>>>Op. Since Dps OPs are actually being nerfed, despite being a low dps class in PvE [thanks to pvp whiners who dont know how to play].

Bottomline ? Roll a Sorc if you want maximum potential. They excel in both Dmg and healing when specced for it [top heals or close to top dps]. Dont get me wrong though - Healing Ops are good, but they are harder to play than a Sorc. A Sorc of equal skill will do more Hps than a OP since their toolkit is just better overall. DPS is another story. OPS continously receive DPS nerfs, they are either outright nerfs via lowered dmg or they are *stealth nerfs*. The latest nerf is a stealth nerf...Adding a longer cooldown to Backstab and other abilities - the end result is lower DPS.

Lets not forget utility. Ops bring a +crit buff. And...um, yea the +crit buff. Ummm ok. In the future my gut feeling is that the Sniper dmg reduction bubble will be cloned to the Operative to give much needed utility, but that is neither here or there right now.

Sorc utility on the other hand is off the charts. A Sprint has multiple uses, a pullin to pull that drunk friend of yours out of bad stuff is always a good thing to have. They also have massive CCs, a amazing AoE heal which in 1.2 is still many many times better than the Ops AoE heal. It is a large list of utility..

Of course OPS are a love or hate type of class...If you like it you like it, so play one in that case. Atleast try it. You will know if you hate it rather quickly though.

Edited by peonyu

with the changes coming up in 1.2 i am ready to roll a alt about now. i am a tank tho. so i havent played around with dps to much in this game. im trying to decide the alt to make either a sorcerer dps or a operative dps. i know sorc healing is getting a little nerf in the patch but im not looking for healing. is the dps getting a nerf too? and with the operative are they getting nerfed ? i know there not getting buffed lol.

i want pure dps i play both pve and pvp. i hear ops is not that good at pve dps but i like the challnge. im used to playing a rogue from wow and warrior dps.

any tips would help thanks =)

I can tell you right now Op is the most boring class in the entire game. At least Scoundrels have cool shotguns to spice things up, while Op's every attack skill looks almost the same. That would be aesthetic-wise. Gameplay-wise you already know they are teh suck.