Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

There are alot of people playing on the Us servers themselves because of the dissolving of the Apac

if Bioware / Ea had the decency to merge the current three into one I would be more then happy to reroll

Ping really is a issue when you spend more often then not pvping, it seems the US servers have gotten worse since I returned after a year break , doing a Battlemaster grind beforehand I didnt have as much trouble with lag as I do now

I signed the petition and would be happy to reroll my legacy ,at the very least Bioware should look into their Us servers and try and work out the ping issues server side it was never this bad and other mmos are def alot lower

Edited by gurneyslabb

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm from Oz and am in total support of the Oceanic servers and their players, and whatever it is they need to resolve the issues they're experiencing.

I've found solace on a US server as that is where I originally started. It is no fix for the issues being listed in this thread, but I hope you guys get what you need to improve your gameplay experience.

The server I started on is now dead (Corellian Run) and my old guild did not survive the merge and the server I would like to play on (Starsider [sWG]) had the plug pulled on it by Lucusarts & Sony so Dalbora is the only home in a SW MMO that I still have and it is facing the same fate as the last 2 servers. So I am somewhat worried about this development. (I originally started on EU Infinity which got merged into starsider)

/signed

Also would appreciate if Elysiah and jackdaley would post their toon names and servers. I'm going to add them to forum ignore list but first would like to ignore them in game too. If I wanted to play with trolls I'd go back to WoW.

Goku = Elysiah

Vegeta = jackdaley

Edited by Elysiah

Hope to see more players on the Harbinger soon! I see many Australians on Harbinger and they don't complain about any lag and love the population. Anyone worried about the lag shouldn't be. This isn't an FPS so the lag will probably only be slightly noticeable, but not at all game breaking.

Best of luck on your future transfer. Harbinger is the place for you! :)

Hope to see more players on the Harbinger soon! I see many Australians on Harbinger and they don't complain about any lag and love the population. Anyone worried about the lag shouldn't be. This isn't an FPS so the lag will probably only be slightly noticeable, but not at all game breaking.

Best of luck on your future transfer. Harbinger is the place for you! :)

I have played there and its not just the lag, although you cannot tell me that my 340ms is ok... it isn't, having experienced it.

The community there doesn't even come close, guilds will come apart, peoples names will be changed, people guild names will be changed, there is doubts as to how robust the transfer system is having seen the last lot that were screwed, not to mention your trolls.

The lag spike are painful as, to some of us 150 people in the same zone going for the same objectives, lagging, us, and having to wait on re-spawns is not all its cracked up to be.

To some of us we value our ping, our community and our names above having a hugely populated server.

You have said welcome and looking forward to having more people, great that to are looking forward to our forced re-location, however all you are doing is alienating the people here, we heard you, you don't have to come in every page change and say the same thing over again.

I have played there and its not just the lag, although you cannot tell me that my 340ms is ok... it isn't, having experienced it.

The community there doesn't even come close, guilds will come apart, peoples names will be changed, people guild names will be changed, there is doubts as to how robust the transfer system is having seen the last lot that were screwed, not to mention your trolls.

The lag spike are painful as, to some of us 150 people in the same zone going for the same objectives, lagging, us, and having to wait on re-spawns is not all its cracked up to be.

To some of us we value our ping, our community and our names above having a hugely populated server.

You have said welcome and looking forward to having more people, great that to are looking forward to our forced re-location, however all you are doing is alienating the people here, we heard you, you don't have to come in every page change and say the same thing over again.

You are wrong about the ping. I just adjusted my connection to where I was at 400 ping and I had no issues at all. You are just being very negative. It's really not all that bad, but if you focus on it there is nothing else it can be.

Edited by chriscshunter

Just wondering if there has been any developer commentary (Eric?) on what happens to the names of those characters that don't take the free transfers, but are forced to merge onto the selected server when the APAC are closed down as the multitude of NA and EUR ones were. I am assuming the naming basis would come down to /played in regards to who keeps the name, enabling the APAC players to hopefully keep at least 1 of their names?

It seems wrong for long term subscribers to lose names they are attached to, in favour of a F2P player that played the game for 5minutes, or those that have not logged in for over 6 months and do not intend to return, or even just placeholder names with less than an hours playtime.

A simple yes, no, we have/have not considered it yet would suffice. Might help some players decide whether they want to persist with the game post mergers.

Edited by ausmisc

The guild question needs to be resolved, especially if guilds have literally spent millions to obtain tabs, if the guild simply ceases to exist, tabs and all, some form of compensation will be needed.

Hopefully this will be sorted prior to our servers being smoked like Alderaan...As a precaution I've taken some screen shots of the bank (just in case), as I've read elsewhere here someone lost the bank during a server merge, and CS told this person they could not find anything to say his guild even had a bank...

....just saying.

I don't care about compensation; the guilds we have worked so hard on over the past year and months being disassembled purely for population is not acceptable when our guilds have healthy population. Guilds better transfer with us, or we don't transfer at all.

Screenshots are also a great idea. I'll be right on that.

You are wrong about the ping. I just adjusted my connection to where I was at 400 ping and I had no issues at all. You are just being very negative. It's really not all that bad, but if you focus on it there is nothing else it can be.

He is not wrong about the ping. I live in the U.S. have no ping issues at all playing Dalborra, yet on Harbinger, a mere 15 miles from me, I have more ping than on an Oceanic server. Not being negative; just stating fact. If I live in the U.S., have zero issues with Shadowlands and Dalborra, why would I have issues with Harbinger ping? I'm sure you have an answer to this; you seem to have a response to everything. Enlighten me, oh wise, all-knowing one.

Edited by Izabo

You are wrong about the ping.

He's not wrong about the ping. That's just like... your opinion man.

It is fascinating that because someone is able to tolerate the ping, all of those that do have issues with it, as they prefer their video games to be responsive, are considered to be incorrect.

So some friends and i have a couple of questions regarding these mergers and transfers, as do a lot of the people in this thread it seems, so i thought i might try and consolidate some major ones into a single post in hopes that they can be replied to all in one go.

1. Will we be able to keep our legacy name and level?

2. Will we be able to keep our guild name and vault?

3. Will there be a way to transfer an entire guild at once during the 'select your server' phase?

4. Will you make some form of exception for names having to change? such as longer played time gets preference, or subscriber names get preference over F2P names?

5. If we have additional character slots unlocked on our APAC servers, will that unlock carry across during the merge? some of us have 16-20 characters.

6. Will the transfer cause downtime in character or account availability? If so, how long could we expect?

Eric could we please have an answer to these questions it would help settle down some of the resentment of the APAC community.

He's not wrong about the ping. That's just like... your opinion man.

It is fascinating that because someone is able to tolerate the ping, all of those that do have issues with it, as they prefer their video games to be responsive, are considered to be incorrect.

I have played off of a connection on my cell phone while I was in the military where I had over 1000 ping at all times. That is where the game became hard to handle. But at 400 ping it doesn't cause any game breaking issues, for me atleast.

He is not wrong about the ping. I live in the U.S. have no ping issues at all playing Dalborra, yet on Harbinger, a mere 15 miles from me, I have more ping than on an Oceanic server. Not being negative; just stating fact. If I live in the U.S., have zero issues with Shadowlands and Dalborra, why would I have issues with Harbinger ping? I'm sure you have an answer to this; you seem to have a response to everything. Enlighten me, oh wise, all-knowing one.

I'm not sure why your connection sucks connecting to a local server, but what I am talking about doesn't involve anything with the Harbinger server. I am not defending Harbinger, I am stating my gameplay when I have 400 ping as very much still playable.

All knowing one? I was stating the situation for me or rather an opinion, not stating that I am right and that my **** doesnt stink, but your a clearly an idiot in rage mode...not sure where I said anything offensive ot make you act like a little baby, but its time to grow up.

Edited by chriscshunter

Did you even bother to read my post?

I put in a ticket asking about character slots in the merge and whether we would be forced to delete some if we had them on both servers, and this is the response I got , I am guessing it wasn't even read...

Greetings,

I am Protocol Droid M0-T0, Human-Cyborg Relations.

Thank you for contacting us to express your concerns regarding the plans for our Asia-Pacific servers.

While the post from our Community Manager Eric Musco on the official forums at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6048072&postcount=3178 gave some detail about our plans to transfer players to higher-population servers in the USA, and explained why we could not offer a timeline for these transfers at this point – we know that the solution proffered may not be to the liking of all players from the region.

We are aware that our Asia-Pacific players have been asking for a solution that will allow each of you to experience Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ to the fullest, with Warzones and Group Finder queues that pop more readily, and with planets full of other players to adventure alongside. When we asked you for your suggestions, we found that many players expressed a desire to move to servers in the US which already have higher populations as a result of the server consolidations, while others liked the idea of an Asia-Pacific “super-server”.

When considering what would ultimately work best for all players, we took a number of factors into account. From our experience with server consolidations, we learned that asking players to “give up” the RP, PvE, PvP or RP-PvP aspect of their server in exchange for higher population caused a great deal of upset – with many players feeling like they were unfairly being asked to sacrifice their chosen play-style in order to have others to play with. Merging all of the APAC servers into one would most likely lead to players who like their PvP or RP having to play on a pure PvE server, or PvE and RP players having to play on a PvP server, and we were not about to ask you all to do that.

An additional concern was that, even with the populations of three servers merged in to one, the number of concurrent users may not be as high as you would expect it to be, and you might not see a dramatic improvement in population throughout the game – and we would like you all to have players to play with at all levels and not just at the elder game stage.

We did also consider the impact of geographical distance on the play experience, and found that West Coast USA servers will offer a playable experience for players connecting from the APAC region. With higher populations and a server type that suits each individual player, we hope that any performance degradation will be mitigated by an improvement in the overall play experience.

We do accept that this solution is not ideal for everyone, and that in trying to provide a better experience for more players we may also be upsetting others in the process. We do honestly regret any disappointment caused by the solution we are offering, but we must restate that this is the solution we intend to implement.

Please keep an eye on the forums and swtor.com for more information on the timeline for these transfers.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. Please don’t hesitate to contact us again if you have any further questions or encounter any issues.

Galactic Support is our Specialty....

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid M0-T0

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Customer Service

I have played off of a connection on my cell phone while I was in the military where I had over 1000 ping at all times. That is where the game became hard to handle. But at 400 ping it doesn't cause any game breaking issues, for me atleast.

I'm not sure why your connection sucks connecting to a local server, but what I am talking about doesn't involve anything with the Harbinger server. I am not defending Harbinger, I am stating my gameplay when I have 400 ping as very much still playable.

All knowing one? I was stating the situation for me or rather an opinion, not stating that I am right and that my **** doesnt stink, but your a clearly an idiot in rage mode...not sure where I said anything offensive ot make you act like a little baby, but its time to grow up.

It isn't just about ping, atleast for me. It's really a combination of population, ping and community. If we are forced to transfer we will loose ping and our community for the sake of a higher population. Now will a higher ping make the game unplayable? No but it is noticeable. But the worse loss will be that of the community.

A merge of our 3 servers is the best option as it gives us a bigger population while retaining our low ping and our community.

Edit: just a quick update. I do also have a lvl50 on the harbinger, so I know what it is like raiding on that server.

Edited by ChuangTzu

I put in a ticket asking about character slots in the merge and whether we would be forced to delete some if we had them on both servers, and this is the response I got , I am guessing it wasn't even read...

Greetings,

I am Protocol Droid M0-T0, Human-Cyborg Relations.

Thank you for contacting us to express your concerns regarding the plans for our Asia-Pacific servers.

While the post from our Community Manager Eric Musco...

<SNIP>

...this is the solution we intend to implement.

Please keep an eye on the forums and swtor.com for more information on the timeline for these transfers.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. Please don’t hesitate to contact us again if you have any further questions or encounter any issues.

Galactic Support is our Specialty....

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid M0-T0

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Customer Service

This is the only response you'll get, I'm willing to bet. Standard boilerplate reply.

Still, it speaks volumes. I'm guessing that this is the only APAC-specific reply anyone will get.

The answer is no you won't have to delete any, If you do delete a toon afterwards though you will not be able to re-create a new one until you officially buy enough slots on the server to cover the actual number of toons.

So the server will show 18/12 for example on number of toons.

This answer I am basing on what occurred with the last server mergers, and should be no different.

It isn't just about ping, atleast for me. It's really a combination of population, ping and community. If we are forced to transfer we will loose ping and our community for the sake of a higher population. Now will a higher ping make the game unplayable? No but it is noticeable. But the worse loss will be that of the community.

I seemed to have connection issues with Gav Daragon last night. Had the game running at around 500-600ms ping and it was unplayable. And that was simply running around on Nar Shaddaa. This was also gameplay without having to deal with any interrupt mechanics and the need for decent timing.

I logged onto Bergren Colony and Harbringer and was getting pings around the 350-400 mark on Tython doing nothing. Thats pretty close to hitting an unplayable ping without even doing anything.

Its the most obvious solution... if you combine the servers there is going to be people mad about that and switch to other servers anyway, thus recreating the same problem they are trying to fix. This is an ultimate fix, and no matter what, people are going to complain. Best just take it with a grain of salt, because it really doesn't matter what you do, this is the solution they see fit and personally I see it to be the best solution as well.

People complained about the population and this is the fix. If your going to be mad at anyone be mad at your fellow continental population.

As always, welcome to the West Coast! :p

Edited by chriscshunter

Hi Bioware,

This is the second or possibly the third time I am transfering my characters, mostly not out of my own free will, to other servers. As an APAC player, many other APAC players and I were forced to transfer characters between servers not due to any fault of our own so as to achieve the intended play experience that you have designed.

Generally, I understood why you have to do it and I have put up with the inconveniences. I don't even mind suffering the ping differences I have to put up when changing servers, the time it takes to transfer 10 of my characters which I have leveled up in two different servers and other hassles.

However, there is one thing I hope you will do. No, as a paying customer since the very first day the game was launch with two accounts and more than a year's worth of time and effort invested into the game and countless patience accorded to you, I WANT this to happen.

When I moved all my characters to the new servers intended and there is a character naming conflict, here is how you should resolve it.

1. If the name that I want is taken up by a character currently belonging to a FREE-TO-PLAY account (regardless of how much that player has paid in cartel coins), I should have the right to that name. The character of the FREE-TO-PLAY account should be requested to change his/her character.

2. If the character of the naming conflict belongs to an account formerly subscribed but is now no longer under subscription, same thing as (1), I should have higher priority.

3. Finally, if the character of the naming conflict belongs to a subscribed account with a total subscription period of less than 3 months, again same thing, I should have higher priority.

That's ALL I asked for. I think it is not that difficult to implement and I think it is a very reasonable demand. In short :

Because YOU forced me to move characters through no fault of my own, I expect my character names, which I have used since day 1 of the launch of SWTOR, to be usable in any servers that you chose for me to move to and have higher priority over free-accounts, unsubscribed account and newly subscribed account.

That is all. Hope you can think about it and implement it.Otherwise, it means you are giving a middle finger to me and players like me whom have supported your games since day 1 and basically telling us to shove it and not to support any of your games (and EA games) in the future.If so, I will then do the necessary actions to that message.

Thank you.

Its the most obvious solution... if you combine the servers there is going to be people mad about that and switch to other servers anyway, thus recreating the same problem they are trying to fix. This is an ultimate fix, and no matter what, people are going to complain. Best just take it with a grain of salt, because it really doesn't matter what you do, this is the solution they see fit and personally I see it to be the best solution as well.

People complained about the population and this is the fix. If your going to be mad at anyone be mad at your fellow continental population.

As always, welcome to the West Coast! :p

Yes ppl will always complain but they picked the solution that has caused the most complaints!

Yes ppl will always complain but they picked the solution that has caused the most complaints!

That would be your opinion and if you look at the facts, this is the only way that guarantees the population problem you guys are having over there is gone for good.

That would be your opinion and if you look at the facts, this is the only way that guarantees the population problem you guys are having over there is gone for good.

Hardly, there are atleast 743 ppl who agree with me and I'm certain there are many more that would atleast prefer this option but are willing to accept it, not to mention those that are still unaware of this change.

Edited by ChuangTzu

Hi Bioware,

This is the second or possibly the third time I am transfering my characters, mostly not out of my own free will, to other servers. As an APAC player, many other APAC players and I were forced to transfer characters between servers not due to any fault of our own so as to achieve the intended play experience that you have designed.

Generally, I understood why you have to do it and I have put up with the inconveniences. I don't even mind suffering the ping differences I have to put up when changing servers, the time it takes to transfer 10 of my characters which I have leveled up in two different servers and other hassles.

However, there is one thing I hope you will do. No, as a paying customer since the very first day the game was launch with two accounts and more than a year's worth of time and effort invested into the game and countless patience accorded to you, I WANT this to happen.

When I moved all my characters to the new servers intended and there is a character naming conflict, here is how you should resolve it.

1. If the name that I want is taken up by a character currently belonging to a FREE-TO-PLAY account (regardless of how much that player has paid in cartel coins), I should have the right to that name. The character of the FREE-TO-PLAY account should be requested to change his/her character.

2. If the character of the naming conflict belongs to an account formerly subscribed but is now no longer under subscription, same thing as (1), I should have higher priority.

3. Finally, if the character of the naming conflict belongs to a subscribed account with a total subscription period of less than 3 months, again same thing, I should have higher priority.

That's ALL I asked for. I think it is not that difficult to implement and I think it is a very reasonable demand. In short :

Because YOU forced me to move characters through no fault of my own, I expect my character names, which I have used since day 1 of the launch of SWTOR, to be usable in any servers that you chose for me to move to and have higher priority over free-accounts, unsubscribed account and newly subscribed account.

That is all. Hope you can think about it and implement it.Otherwise, it means you are giving a middle finger to me and players like me whom have supported your games since day 1 and basically telling us to shove it and not to support any of your games (and EA games) in the future.If so, I will then do the necessary actions to that message.

Thank you.

Well said...I fully support this post.

I lost my main's name when we moved to the APAC servers through no fault of my own to someone who played the game for a month and has never played that character since. (Put player on friends list)

I have now checked and I will lose 7 out of my 8 character names if I move to The Harbinger, I know there are alot of people who don't care what their toon is called but I for one do and have invested a lot of time in them and would like to keep the names I picked at early access.