Does this ever happen to tanks?

Darth_Bond

So i was levelling my jugg tank up...my guild needs tanks for new groups

i was doing mando raiders...and i queued as tank, this other powertech dps was there...i found it strange that i kept losing aggro to him...later on i caught the little you know what taunting off me... i told him not to continue but he kept taunting off me every chance i got...ofcourse he would only tank random/silver mobs off me, but never a champion mob, probably because he'd get killed...iv met these kind before, they like to taunt off the tank intentionally or blow all their cds at once as dps and try to get the aggro off the tank, almost in a declaration manner "AHA! IM SO GOOD I GOT AGGRO OFF TANK!" He queued as dps....

How should i deal with these idiots?

infuriates me to no end

well I do lose aggro from time to time as a tank, if the dps go all out at the beginning of a fight. Are you sure that other PT is taunting the mob off you? There is a debuff icon on the mob when it's taunted. Did you put your guard on him in order to reduce his aggro?

If the dps taunts on purpose I let him deal with the mob.

If the dps grabbed aggro just because he's dps'ing like crazy, I usually taunt back once or twice before giving up.

yep, on several occasions i saw the debuff, he was DEFINITELY taunting off me

If he was only taunting one silver at a time off of you, maybe he was just trying to lessen the load on you? Were you tanking a bunch of enemies at once?

...ofcourse he would only tank random/silver mobs off me, but never a champion mob, probably because he'd get killed...
If they do it well, this is the kind of DPS* I'd love to THANK at the end of the run.

That said, I'd bet a dollar that they're actually Powertech Tanks who queued up as tanks AND DPS in order to get into a party as soon as possible.

it still annoys me...

I've met the kind. Be thankful it was pre-50, where idiots aren't going to end up killing you and wiping the group.

The problem could have been any one of a number of things. If he wasn't responding, he might not have been reading chat and simply continued on thinking he was doing what he was supposed to (I've met some people new to MMOs that think they're supposed to use their taunts even as DPS because they think it allows them to deal more damage or something). He could have simply been an idiot that believed that he could be both tank and DPS at the same time in the same spec (because some people don't realize that being able to queue for multiple roles does not mean that you can actually perform both roles simultaneously). He could, just as easily, have been a ******* DPS trying to piss you off for whatever reason or an amazingly competent DPS just trying to ease the load on you.

The important thing to consider is whether or not he responded back to you in chat (or whisper). Generally, if I complain at someone or ask about their spec/abilities they're using (like why an Infiltration Shadow is using Mind Crush or a VG tank is using Full Auto) and they don't respond, I take it as a bad sign. If their behavior is especially annoying/egregious and they refuse to defend themselves, I generally kick them or quit the group. DPS is easy enough to replace and, as a tank, I can find a group again quickly enough. If the guy is being a hardcore baddy and doesn't even have the decency to respond to party chat, I'm not gonna bother continuing a run with him.

I have seen and had this happen to be before. At times when i know they are doing the taunting, I will let them taunt and tank them. Depending on how much they are doing, I will send a tell to the healer and other dps that i will be dumping aggro off on the person taunting off of me so dont heal or dps to start off with so they can take all the mobs.

Once they start to complain because i didn't take the aggro back and let them die, I would just say "Well, i thought you wanted to tank since you were taunting off me so I let you. Let me know if you want to continue to tank for me. I will gladly switch to dpsing"

When I tank I provide a service to the other 3 guys.. If they choose to not accept the service, it's not my fault.. I save my taunts for when the healer is in trouble, not for when a dps decides he wants to tank a mob himself..

Also, single silver mobs and below I don't care about tanking at all

Well, how did your run go? Kill all the bosses ok? Did the guy execute mechanics, kill order, etc.?

If he was taunting one silver at a time and burning it down, I think he was probably just messing around and having fun because he is comfortable with the content.

• 2 weeks later...
When I tank I provide a service to the other 3 guys.. If they choose to not accept the service, it's not my fault.. I save my taunts for when the healer is in trouble, not for when a dps decides he wants to tank a mob himself..

Also, single silver mobs and below I don't care about tanking at all

The key to tanking with pugs is right here. If they're gonna try to make your job difficult, that's up to them, and I'll just keep doing my thing. If someone taunts off me for some reason they can keep it. If you pull ahead of me, I might try to round the mobs up but I'm not gonna stress out about keeping you alive.

I probably won't even say anything unless they cause a wipe (which they never have *flex*). But I do always put them on ignore. Don't like my service? Get the tank after me next time!

an interesting experience happened just now,

i was 1.5 bars off from level 35, i said hey lets do a fp, i queue up, instant pop, we go in, even before fp starts healer decides to leave "Sorry guys i gotta go" so we do 1/3 of the fp without a healer, even kill 1st boss without one, run is going fairly smooth, after 1st boss 1 dps decides to leave, so we do another 1/3 without a dps though we have a healer now, we're on the last 1/3 of the fp...we finally get a full group, its a 2nd marauder.....hes stupid...he keeps pulling groups...even through i am not, im trying to be cautious and prudent (like waiting for the gold pats to leave) he decides hes the tank and consistantly pulls, i whisper healer to not heal the baddie, no reply, he keeps healing him...so finally we get to the middle boss, the one every one skips by jumping left and over the ledge...the same stupid marauder decides he wants to do the boss,...so he decides on everyones behalf 'LETS DO THIS BOSS'

and instantly jumps in, before my input or anyone elses can be taken, by this point im fairly annoyed...so i let them do what they want...while i stand back...now this boss is fairly hard hitting...and does a decent bit of aoe dmg....the group looks like its gonna fall apart, its gonna be a wipe,....but we have a very skilled healer, he pulls through and everyone survives....the annoyed dps decides to kick me and theres a tally going around....i wait for them to pull the next pull...and i leave the group, because by now i had essentially gotten what i was there for in the first place ( my 1.5 bars of xp) i had levelled during the run...

Most tanks guard the wrong people and don't taunt back when dps pull off bosses, so why should I expect them to be able to round up the mobs before they **** the healer?

In random HM FPs I always pull as a DPS if the tanks being slow. People overestimate the difficulty of the average FP so much to the point of tedium.

I don't want to spend twice as long doing boarding party because you're anal about CC every single pull or whatever.

And those that stop healing or tanking for DPS that pull, shame on you. You're a bad tank/healer.

When I tank or heal I enjoy it when the DPS seem to have some energy. Tanking and healing in this game is far, far, far easier to do competently than anything else, and the only way to stay awake is to have the DPS jump in guns a blazing every pull.

I'm not going to pull something I don't think I can kill before it kills me. I'm not going to pull a boss before everyone's there. But I sure as hell and going to leap/shock/thermal detonate every god damn trash pull on the way there, whether you're ready or not.

Edited by Taiketo

Most tanks guard the wrong people and don't taunt back when dps pull off bosses, so why should I expect them to be able to round up the mobs before they **** the healer?

In random HM FPs I always pull as a DPS if the tanks being slow. People overestimate the difficulty of the average FP so much to the point of tedium.

I don't want to spend twice as long doing boarding party because you're anal about CC every single pull or whatever.

And those that stop healing or tanking for DPS that pull, shame on you. You're a bad tank/healer.

When I tank or heal I enjoy it when the DPS seem to have some energy. Tanking and healing in this game is far, far, far easier to do competently than anything else, and the only way to stay awake is to have the DPS jump in guns a blazing every pull.

I'm not going to pull something I don't think I can kill before it kills me. I'm not going to pull a boss before everyone's there. But I sure as hell and going to leap/shock/thermal detonate every gosh darn trash pull on the way there, whether you're ready or not.

I am not sure, but chances are, you are on my ignore list. :)

People make way too liberal use of the ignore list in this game.

Someone doesn't do something exactly the way you want them to and you ignore them?

The servers are small enough. Ignoring someone because they rush through the simplest end-game content in the game, especially if they do so without incident, is pre-mature and childish.

Edited by Taiketo

Assuming we're even on the same server, I highly doubt it, since all the characters I play are 50, and you just stated you were 35.

Flashpoints are a lot harder if you do them while leveling, mostly because nobody seems to know what they're doing, regardless of what role they're trying to play.

The point I'm making is... If a DPS seems a bit overconfident, before throwing him on ignore, think about this :

Is he causing wipes?

Is he dying?

If he's causing wipes, ask him to stop. He might be new to MMOs. Before SWTOR I had never played a game where there was anything close to a "tank". The biggest mistake you can make in this game is assuming the other players know what they're doing. I've seen so many people rage, hard, at someone that had clearly never been in that specific instance before, yet they were expected to know how to skip every pull and counter every mechanic.

If he's dying, he's probably a bit overconfident in his abilities. Is he blaming the healer or tank for his overconfidence, or is he shrugging it off and admitting his mistake?

Just because a DPS is pulling groups in a FP doesn't mean he's a bad player. It's what happens after that that is important.

The ignore list should be used as a last resort, not as a first instinct.

• 3 weeks later...

As a DPS PT I pulled some mobs off our tank in the last FP, but was at the request of the healer, I had better gear than our Jug Tank. We were running a lvl 25 FP; and I had something like 2-3k hp over the tank. The healer was good, but having trouble keeping the tank up. (We were also having the problem with him breaking the CC on some mobs). Tank was upset at the end of the run, saying if I have so much HP I should Q as a tank not DPS.

I just told him Sorry, one of my alts is a Cyber so I wear all purple armor, mods and ear.

If they do it well, this is the kind of DPS* I'd love to THANK at the end of the run.

That said, I'd bet a dollar that they're actually Powertech Tanks who queued up as tanks AND DPS in order to get into a party as soon as possible.

i bet the ptech didnt realize he was q'd as dps

the same thing happened the other day on my healer

i q'd up- both dps and healer were checked liked the other 1000 times when i q'd and ran as healer (my spec)

we start fp and 4/5 through i realize i'm not the "healer"

still got through the fp fine - no one ever seemed to get below 80% but it took a bit of time to kill a few things

bottom line- it happens- if there was no wipe in a random pug i consider it a victory

Edited by Daxy