Still no color customization? Really?

SocraticSteve

I don't mean to whine, but I think I've been pretty patient about this.

The game has been out for an entire year now and we STILL cannot choose the colors of our clothes. Some people might not care about this, but this has been my biggest gripe about the game since it launched. Honestly, color customization seems like a basic feature to me, and I was truly surprised that the game didn't have it at launch. The fact that it is now an entire year later and, as far as I know, the topic hasn't even been mentioned by the devs, seems unthinkable to me.

The "match to chest" feature currently in-game is alright, but honestly it has always felt like an unnecessary band-aid feature. And it's certainly not fool proof. For example, I bought the Honored Adept’s Shroud from the Cartel Market. Now the robe is mostly a dark brown (I thought it was black when I bought it.) but there is a thin white trim around the edges. The robe looks fine, but when I use that "magical" match to chest feature, for some reason my pants, boots, and gloves all turn mostly white and it looks horrible. I then had to find some pants, boots, and gloves that looked good without using the match to chest feature. Which was a hassle.

I'm also sick of being restricted in my appearance because of my character class. As a Sith Inquisitor, pretty much my only options are long robes, and apparently I'm only allowed to wear black, red, grey, or purple. Honestly, why is it not possible for me to choose how my character looks?!

I am so sick of all of these pointless little headaches and hassles. It's a hassle, and sometimes impossible, to try to find an item that I like, with the right coloring, that can be modified, and is useable by my character. And if by some miracle I find the piece I want, I have to spend money to move mods around and at lvl 50 that can add up to a couple hundred thousand creds just to change your appearance. Oh, and then there's the armor Set bonuses. My gear is currently Columi and Rakata, and because the bonuses don't transfer with the Armorings I don't get the Set bonuses if I want to use my own customizable gear. So even though I EARNED the Set bonuses, I can't use them unless I give up customizing my appearance.

I'm just SO frustrated by all this. You, the devs, have said that customization is important, yet it is STILL a total pain in the *** to customize our characters.

Why?!

My opinion:

I prefer 'Match to Chest' to 'Pick your Color'. Why? Because I've seen the people I play with and I'd rather they be restricted to a set of colors that some sane person has pre-selected. I'm all for customization, but I'd prefer that I wasn't surrounded by a mob of people in purple-and-orange who are trampling any semblance of Star Wars art style in their attempt to be individuals.

Match to chest seems to be one of the best solutions to the problems. The only suggested improvement I might make would be to allow a small selection of different colors for a certain chest piece (and then allow matching to that on other gear). Allowing an (effectively) limitless color selection on the chest piece would actually be a drain on crafting and the GTN. It could work in a perfect world where there were dozens of various armor models, but we are stuck playing the game in reality.

TL;DN: Some restriction is good. It drives you to seek out better armor, and that drives economy and questing.

i agree this should have been in game at launch!!! and as for match to chest ... that is super lame!!!! if you want to talk lore here we go... Mando's chose their colors of their armor they all did not look alike, the colors they chose ment something to them individually, there have been jedi that wore all sorts of colors, Horn wore green, there has been another that wore rainbow colors just about every part of his outfit was a different color, Luke wore black and gray, even the clone troopers changed their armor to have color accents that suited them. if you have read the books you would know that color choices are a big thing in Star Wars Lore. also most of the color choices we have in game now are down right ugly!! almost to the point i think the person making them is color blind!!!

My opinion:

I prefer 'Match to Chest' to 'Pick your Color'. Why? Because I've seen the people I play with and I'd rather they be restricted to a set of colors that some sane person has pre-selected. I'm all for customization, but I'd prefer that I wasn't surrounded by a mob of people in purple-and-orange who are trampling any semblance of Star Wars art style in their attempt to be individuals.

Match to chest seems to be one of the best solutions to the problems. The only suggested improvement I might make would be to allow a small selection of different colors for a certain chest piece (and then allow matching to that on other gear). Allowing an (effectively) limitless color selection on the chest piece would actually be a drain on crafting and the GTN. It could work in a perfect world where there were dozens of various armor models, but we are stuck playing the game in reality.

TL;DN: Some restriction is good. It drives you to seek out better armor, and that drives economy and questing.

I agree with you 100% . I really don't want to be walking around the fleet and seeing some blue and purple jedi run past.

I agree with you 100% . I really don't want to be walking around the fleet and seeing some blue and purple jedi run past.

You complain about that but don't mention all the females running around in the skimpy Leia set?

I feel that is way worse. Still, I think people should be able to choose the look they like, doesn't affect me really. All for having a dye system ala Guild Wars 2.

Edited by XProdigyX

Neither do i. However until we pay everyone elses subscriptions/ cartel coin costs, we have no right to dictate that others follow our preference. So much as i don't really want to seek neon pink and green Sith running around, i fully support the option being available.

My opinion:

yes but.. anakin skywalker had a black dress even as jedi... OR some sith have brown wear ... but in this game you are limited to colors...

id like to wear a white robe with my sith and a black robe with my jedi..

just make a colorpicker that offers you "lore-based" colors.. like brown tones, grey tones , black variations and white variations.. some green tones and soem orangish and red tones... atleast...