What is the gear req for denova?

I was just wondering what the reccomended gear was for Denova. What gear do the healer, tanks, and DPS have to have? We have 2 full geared rakata, 1 full geared healer, both taks are liek 70/30 rakata/columi and i was wondering if that was good enough. If anyone has any insight it would be helpful and appreciated, thanks.

I was just wondering what the reccomended gear was for Denova. What gear do the healer, tanks, and DPS have to have? We have 2 full geared rakata, 1 full geared healer, both taks are liek 70/30 rakata/columi and i was wondering if that was good enough. If anyone has any insight it would be helpful and appreciated, thanks.

I would say thats enough. However it won't seem that way, just due to learning the mechanics of the fights.

At least full Columi for Story Mode, full or near full Rakata for Hardmode. More gear is obviously always better as well so if you're having trouble don't hesitate to get more Rakata from EV/KP.

Well if you're all geared in full columni you should be alright. As someone else posted, the difficulty of the fights however can seem pretty overwhelming compared to EV and KP, but it's perfectly doable

At least full Columi for Story Mode, full or near full Rakata for Hardmode. More gear is obviously always better as well so if you're having trouble don't hesitate to get more Rakata from EV/KP.

I don't know, my guild has tried devona most week ends on story mode and we have only gotten to the stormcaller tank fight and most are full or near full rakata with matrix cubes. Just my two cents, but I would say full rakata for story and war hero/black hole gear for hard mode.

I don't know, my guild has tried devona most week ends on story mode and we have only gotten to the stormcaller tank fight and most are full or near full rakata with matrix cubes. Just my two cents, but I would say full rakata for story and war hero/black hole gear for hard mode.

My guild made it to last boss. I don't have full columi.

Bounty

Parse

As you can see I have bad DPS, and I am under geared. Yes this is story mode, but knowing the fight is WAY more important than gear. Good team work makes all the difference. We spent most attempts on minefield. We decided due to turret enrage to just pick a line and go straight. I viewed that as a dps race and we made it.

My 2 credits.

EDIT:

I do want to note. On that run I did not have the BH ear yet (was crafted purple), the Rakata Implant yet (Was columi), or the Rakata boots (were columi). I earned BH comms for ear on that run. I finished my dailies to by implant after that run. and boots dropped on that run. So take in account I had less than you see on my char.

Knowledge is power.

Edited by DyasAlue
gear update

If your raid group is fully rakata geared, you should easily be able to do story mode EC. Story EC is tuned for Columi geared players, while HM is tuned for Rakata plus. The best raid groups have cleared HM EC in Rakata gear with little to no Campaign. For EC, skill level and coordination are much more important than gear. The skill requirement for EC is much higher than Tier 1 raids. Also, War Hero gear is much worse than Rakata for PvE content.

To the OP, as long as your group is good, you are more than geared enough for Story Mode EC.

Edited by jacengotpwned

I'm gonna have to disagree with you. The fights are more difficult due to mechanics but the gear requirements aren't that bad. My guild will bring in anyone that is at least in full Columi and we clear Story Mode in 1 night for BH Comms and to get those people some Rakata gear so we can bring them to HM. Hell we even did an alt night in there a week ago where we brought our alts in and anyone that couldn't make it earlier in the week. We had a lot of trouble(due to the fact that my Shadow alt is in a mix of tanking Rakata mods, Corellia commendation mods, and daily mods with no set bonus as a DPS spec for that night and we had a Sage DPSing in Columi Healing gear). We ended up downing the first boss even with that setup before we found someone to replace my alt.

as most have said, the biggest hurdle is learning the mechanics. If you do not have them right, even being in full rakata will not help you push through bad strats, poor placement and timing, and people not paying attention/listening/working hard. You will notice your group will hit a wall on a particular encounter, and then its time to tweak what you are doing. then Boom, you go from hitting a wall at 80% each try to getting them all the way the next by just figuring out a specific mechanic.

Carrying a few players through a Story is not out of the realm of possible depending on the gear makeup and skill of everyone else.

My thoughts: for story mode, full Columi is sufficient, if you can execute the mechanics. That being said, you won't have a lot of leeway to carry anyone.

For hardmode, full Rakata, with the exception of your healers, who can happily be in a Rakata/Columi mix.

I say it is dependent on player skill imo, and how well people have their gear itemized (re-itemized columi>stock rakata). On a side note a good healer or two can be used as a buffer for mistakes in the mechanics or poor tanks, but the fights have dps requirements that require either gear or skill to over come.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like those advising Columi for story mode EC are miss-reporting. I can only guess at the reason. You're going to want most of your raid in full rakata to beat EC story mode. Your DPS will struggle on Kephess bomb carriers otherwise.

For Hard Mode, you'll want full Rakata at a minimum, ideally with several members of your raid mod-swapping and using augmented gear to get an edge. There are new mechanics on hard mode that make the fights much more complicated and require a greater degree of coordination.

I feel like those advising Columi for story mode EC are miss-reporting. I can only guess at the reason. You're going to want most of your raid in full rakata to beat EC story mode. Your DPS will struggle on Kephess bomb carriers otherwise.

For Hard Mode, you'll want full Rakata at a minimum, ideally with several members of your raid mod-swapping and using augmented gear to get an edge. There are new mechanics on hard mode that make the fights much more complicated and require a greater degree of coordination.

If full Rakata was the requirement for beating EC Story, then it makes no sense that it reward Rakata.

Furthermore Columi > Stock Rakata. Rakata does not become powerful until you change all the bad mods and enhancements.

Hard Mode Denova needs to have Rakata. Story Mode is so much easier its not even funny. I've seen guilds kill Kephess without understand any of his mechanics on Story.

A lot of people seem to be asking the gear minimum for Denova. Here is what I'll say on the matter.

If you know the fights, understand the mechanics and have raid full of skilled people, you will always be able to get away with being under geared.

If you don't know the fights, don't understand the mechanics and/or have unskilled players, better gear can help you overcome these things.

Gear only raises your potential.. No amount of gear will make up for bad play but good play can make up for bad gear.

So the answer to the "gear minimum" for Denova probably changes from player to player and raid to raid.

Edited by pureeffinmetal

If full Rakata was the requirement for beating EC Story, then it makes no sense that it reward Rakata.

Furthermore Columi > Stock Rakata. Rakata does not become powerful until you change all the bad mods and enhancements.

Hard Mode Denova needs to have Rakata. Story Mode is so much easier its not even funny. I've seen guilds kill Kephess without understand any of his mechanics on Story.

A lot of people seem to be asking the gear minimum for Denova. Here is what I'll say on the matter.

If you know the fights, understand the mechanics and have raid full of skilled people, you will always be able to get away with being under geared.

If you don't know the fights, don't understand the mechanics and/or have unskilled players, better gear can help you overcome these things.

Gear only raises your potential.. No amount of gear will make up for bad play but good play can make up for bad gear.

So the answer to the "gear minimum" for Denova probably changes from player to player and raid to raid.

This.

Plus, fall is sexy IRL. I herrrd it in /1.

For Story mode:

Your healers need 2/5 Rakata and the rest can just be Columi.

Your DPS need Rakata mainhand and offhand.

Your Tank(s) needs at least 3/5 Rakata.

So no one actually needs FULL Rakata but it's really hard to do without some.

Edited by AshlaBoga

While gear is important (moreso for hardmode), the most important thing about Denova is that every single person knows exactly what they're supposed to be doing at all times, and that the group works in perfect harmony together. Communication is key here. There are extremely well-geared groups on my server who can't get past T&Z or the tanks because they have poor communication and don't work well together, while my group is clearing in an hour and a half because we are all on the ball 100% of the time. Edited by Jawgust

Full Rak? Ha, well I'm glad people think gear is greater than skill. Course if you follow my link above I have improved since when I posted that, but it still stands we cleared a lot under geared. We are going to HM next week. I only got my offhand weapon last week, and have yet to go into EC with my new weapon.

This. The DPS requirements on the Kephess bomb carriers is very, very harsh. You can know the mechanics to the N'th degree, but if you don't have the DPS to down these in the time limit, then the ops will fail. I agree that at least the DPS need to be in full rakata or else be extremely skilled players in order to beat this time limit. If anything needs to be relaxed in story mode EC, it would be this single DPS check.

I think if everyones in colmuni youll struggle on story mode, expect it to be a long drawn out process with lots of wipes, we couldnt do the last boss after 3 - 4 hours of trying with nearly everyone in full rakata.

Its one of these big differences between a very large and very active guild and a very casual guild. The more casual your guild is the more gear your going to need as exampled by our not even downing one boss in 3 odd hours. The more you learn the mechanics the less gear youll need. Do i think its fair we have taken weeks of wipes just to get this far.. no, but its all a learning curve and we epic to get there eventually.

Just dont listen to all those which say its easy in colmuni, the fight isnt easy and it isnt as easy as saying yes you can do it in colmuni. Some of the DPS races are VERY close even in full rakata.... Some people fail to take group compostitions into account when they are so fast to reply back on how awesome they are since they did it all in less than an hour as fresh 50 becuase they are the bestest.

The more gear the better for your whole group. Expect to wipe a lot and take time learning the mechanics.

If someone goes down, its usually bigtime, becuase someones messed up and missed a mechanic not due to gear, but the gear does give you more of a leway when it comes too small mistakes.

Edited by RichyYoung

TL;DR: Just because you have the DPS needed to get past the first three bosses in EC story mode, you may not have the needed DPS for the last fight.

I would like to give one more specific data point on EC story mode and DPS/gearing. I am in a large casual guild that has 10+ ops teams. The team I am with has been struggling with EC story mode, but the other night we went and finally had a good run where we beat the first three bosses. The team had a ranged DPS fill-in with a mixture of Columni/Rakata, and I would grade this person as a 'C' grade dps (first time in EC). We had an alternate melee DPS who had recently moved from a tank role to a DPS role, and so was a 'B' grade dps, and mostly rakata. Everybody else was standard team, all 'A' grade, all full Rakata with 1 or 2 pieces of black hole gear. I will call 'A' grade as full rakata, 1 or 2 pieces of BH gear, and nominally skilled players that have done HM KP/EV with no problems.

So, the next night, we took on Kephess with the same team, except our 'B' grade melee dps could not make it, but the 'A' grade melee dps (full rakata) that had been missing the night before joined us. We were fully expecting to beat Kephess, we had watched vids, knew the mechanics. At least four other ops teams in our guild have cleared Story mode EC, and we were expecting to be another team with that accomplishment.

We failed to take him down and we tried for three hours, because we kept failing on the 3rd bomber, where we just did not have the DPS to kill it when one of our tanks had to deal with Kephess and we lost his DPS on the bomber (we would also occasionally fail on one of the first two bombers as well, like if we had to move slightly because of AOE fire from the walker). So, we had three 'A' grade DPS (two ranged, one melee), two 'A' grade healers, two 'A' grade tanks, and one 'C' grade ranged DPS -- actually slightly better DPS than what we had for the first three EC story bosses, but still not good enough for Kephess. I am certain that if we had our other 'A' grade DPS normal ops member we would have succeeded. This is just a data point on how tight the DPS check is on the bombers in the Kephess fight. In our particular ops team case, we need everybody (at least the dps) in full Rakata.

Edited by Thoffs

I really don't see why people keep missing this point.

Stock Columi Gear > Stock Rakata Gear.

The enhancements on Rakata gear are BAD. If your guilds are as casual as you say they are, they problably haven't spent the time farming EV and KP over and over to replace all their Rakata gear.

Rakata does not become more powerful until its reitemized

Also. To the above poster above me. You yourself said you had an average player in your raid. If you bring less skilled DPS into your raids, of course your going to need more gear.

The OP didn't say how skilled he or his team is. And none of us have anyway of judging that. That being said, assuming he has a skilled raid group, the minimum can be done in Columi.

Baradium Bombers have 104k HP on 8m normal. You have 20s to kill it. This means If you only have your 4 DPS members attacking the Bomber, you need an average of 1300 DPS per member to kill it. Thats pretty harsh. HOWEVER

If you add in both your Tanks DPS - the require comes down from 1300 to 866. Which is pathetically easy. And if your healers can also contribute damage it goes down even further to 650 DPS per person in an 8 man normal EC Group.

Honestly, its not that difficult. Columi geared Raiders should at least be able to pull 1000 DPS raid buffed. (That means stims too, if you're not using them, thats your fault). Which leaves 2 tanks and 2 Healers, (assuming the DPS people didn't pop any cooldowns) to comes up with 350 DPS each.

Shocking I know, but healers and tanks can do damage too! Its a group effort. If your DPS has to be responsible for avoiding unnecessary damage to help the healers, the Healers can then help out the DPS if they are tight on DPS checks! And Tanks should also be doing some damage too of course.

I really don't see why people keep missing this point.

Baradium Bombers have 104k HP on 8m normal. You have 20s to kill it. This means If you only have your 4 DPS members attacking the Bomber, you need an average of 1300 DPS per member to kill it. Thats pretty harsh. HOWEVER

If you add in both your Tanks DPS - the require comes down from 1300 to 866. Which is pathetically easy. And if your healers can also contribute damage it goes down even further to 650 DPS per person in an 8 man normal EC Group.

Honestly, its not that difficult. Columi geared Raiders should at least be able to pull 1000 DPS raid buffed. (That means stims too, if you're not using them, thats your fault). Which leaves 2 tanks and 2 Healers, (assuming the DPS people didn't pop any cooldowns) to comes up with 350 DPS each.

Shocking I know, but healers and tanks can do damage too! Its a group effort. If your DPS has to be responsible for avoiding unnecessary damage to help the healers, the Healers can then help out the DPS if they are tight on DPS checks! And Tanks should also be doing some damage too of course.

You know, its funny - you make it sound like my grandma and a three year could do this. Do you think our tanks and healers were sitting around reading books while the DPS were working on killing these guys? They were DPS'ing as well, and it was tight. By the time you locate the bomber, get to the bomber, cast your first spell -- you don't have 20 seconds any more. And yep, we do know what stims are, believe it or not! Sheesh.

The real problem is the third bomber, when at least one tank is missing. I am sure we will be able to do it, but it is not the cakewalk you make it sound like it should be.

Anyway, I am sure there is a group of players out there that could do this in tionese, much less Columi. However, I am betting that many groups, if they are only columi geared, will have a tough time.

That's entirely true, but it then makes the OP question mostly invalid. You don't need gear for the operation -- you need skill. Depending on your handicap, you'll want better gear. Obviously the standard is set to Columi, but that requirement will fluctuate based on how casual/hardcore your players are.

You know, its funny - you make it sound like my grandma and a three year could do this. Do you think our tanks and healers were sitting around reading books while the DPS were working on killing these guys? They were DPS'ing as well, and it was tight. By the time you locate the bomber, get to the bomber, cast your first spell -- you don't have 20 seconds any more. And yep, we do know what stims are, believe it or not! Sheesh.

The real problem is the third bomber, when at least one tank is missing. I am sure we will be able to do it, but it is not the cakewalk you make it sound like it should be.

Anyway, I am sure there is a group of players out there that could do this in tionese, much less Columi. However, I am betting that many groups, if they are only columi geared, will have a tough time.

Thats fine then. But that doesn't change the answer. "Whats the minimum gear required for Denova"

Which means that in can be done in Columi. And Who knows? Maybe in Tionese like you said. I wouldn't know I don't have a tionese geared raid to try.

All I know is that we've been running Denova HM in our Rakata gear since 1.2 hit. And before we had campaign gear we were beating the bomber timer by 2-3s at least. Sometimes by 5 or more.

Which is why I have a problem believing groups in partial or even full Rakata have issues with story. Strictly speaking, gear isnt the issue in that case.

Edited by pureeffinmetal