Best Hard Mode to start with?

As the title indicates, which hard mode instance would be the easiest to start with gear wise? Yes I know there are people out there who downed hard mode EV in quest greens, I'm just not that good :).

Suggestions on what avg level gear should be for hard modes would be appreciated as well.

As the title indicates, which hard mode instance would be the easiest to start with gear wise? Yes I know there are people out there who downed hard mode EV in quest greens, I'm just not that good :).

Suggestions on what avg level gear should be for hard modes would be appreciated as well.

Probably the easiest one to start with, as far as HardMode goes would be Maelstrom or The Last Emperor

If you're Empire, you can easily roll through HM Black Talon. They softened up the enrage timers since release and now anyone can complete it.

The bosses in False Emp are pretty easy, but the mountains of trash to clear it sucks. Same with Boarding Party with the added bonus of a last boss you have to kite around to win. Battle of Ilum isn't bad if you skip the 3rd boss.

Avoid Foundry like the plague unless you have great DPS and an Assassin tank.

Level of difficulty wise.. Easiest to hardest I'd probably go;

Black Talon = False Emperor

Directive 7 (Bulwark is a really tight enrage)

Battle for Ilum

Boarding Party = Foundry (Last bosses only)

They're all pretty easy when you've got good players, but just starting out you might hit some ugly gear checks. Bulwark in D7 will ruin the tank when he gets stunned.

The 2nd? or 3rd? boss in Battle for Ilum is pretty dependant on your DPS having AoE that locks the targets down like Death From Above for Mercenaries. He spawns 3 stealthed adds that will obliterate an undergeared tank extremely quickly.

We've been clearing them all for a while now so they're all doable, but Boarding Party and Foundry end bosses are extremely challenging compared to the rest of the content.

Edited by Ambrossius

Maelstrom Prison and Esseles are the easiest. Then probably False Emperor (2 knockbacks or Vanguard tank needed for last boss), Taral V and Battle of Ilum. Directive 7 is probably the most difficult instance because of Bulwark's enrage timer unless you have a ranged-heavy party. The last boss, Mentor, can also bug if you wipe on the first try.