in defense of the prequels

Flowstrodamus

Why are the prequels terrible?

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

If you have a few hours to kill, watch those. It shows why the films are atrocious not only from a fan standpoint, but from a film making one as well.

RedLettermedia is completely stupid and is waved around by haters whenever this kind of topic comes up.

Every point made in that review can be mirrored by something equally as stupid in the original series.

Everything he says is just masked by dumb jokes and a obnoxious voice to make his arguments more agreeable.

It's also insanley nitpicky, he even says one of the bad points in TPM is having a child in it.

OPB I agree with what you said about the hipster deal, I think it's just a big bandwagon.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RedLettermedia is completely stupid and is waved around by haters whenever this kind of topic comes up.

Every point made in that review can be mirrored by something equally as stupid in the original series.

Everything he says is just masked by dumb jokes and a obnoxious voice to make his arguments more agreeable.

It's also insanley nitpicky, he even says one of the bad points in TPM is having a child in it.

OPB I agree with what you said about the hipster deal, I think it's just a big bandwagon.

Actually Mike Stoklasa is a film genius, but I agree people post that video here way too much.

Also this topic is a moot point. Nobody is going to convince you otherwise that the sequels suck, and vice versa, so why keep posting about it? Its childish.

My personal reason for not liking the prequels is the characters. They are all just boring as hell, and none of them are remotely likeable. There is not a single moment in any of the movies where I sympathized with any of the characters. When Anakin was choking Padme in EP. III I remember thinking "You married a stupid whiny *****, this is what you get." A close second would probably be the lightsaber duels, but I'll let that slide because they almost made up for lack of substance with style, and I'm easily amused by pretty colors. Edited by Boreus

Well, child actors are notoriously bad and most films with child actors in them who have a lot of screen time dont do well. And his voice and jokes still dont change the fact most of his point are correct. George Lucas has a brilliant mind, but has no idea how to write or direct a movie. You can even look at his latest film, Red Tails, for more proof.

And, please, point out these mirrored points. I would love to see what you come up with.

Well, child actors are notoriously bad and most films with child actors in them who have a lot of screen time dont do well. And his voice and jokes still dont change the fact most of his point are correct. George Lucas has a brilliant mind, but has no idea how to write or direct a movie. You can even look at his latest film, Red Tails, for more proof.

And, please, point out these mirrored points. I would love to see what you come up with.

i would honestly do it and counter his points about why the prequels were bad but ive done it too many times now. I demand someone make a counter video in a trolololol voice ASAP. As i work 60 hours a week I will not be doing this, so please some1 with a brain make a counter video and just spam it all over the forums

i would honestly do it and counter his points about why the prequels were bad but ive done it too many times now. I demand someone make a counter video in a trolololol voice ASAP. As i work 60 hours a week I will not be doing this, so please some1 with a brain make a counter video and just spam it all over the forums

Man, for working 60 hours a week, I sure do see your name in these forums a lot...

Also, asking somebody else to come up with counter points to a video is pretty damaging to your argument.

Please enlighten us.

eta: There are certainly stupid things in the OT, but overall each movie was well done. My personal pet peeve in Ep IV is the SD gunner scene, "Hold your fire! There are no life signs." It is stupid as hell, and serves no purpose. We don't need to see why the escape pod wasn't shot down, especially when the reason why is stupid.

Edited by Fizil

ive watch RedLetterMedia. the big problem is he compares TPM against three films. i only watched part one because it was that annoying. watch all three prequels then describe padme without saying her appearance or profession

So her personality then?

Well she is a strong independent women, is able to take care of herself and get herself out of certain and dangerous situations when called for. She also cares deeply about others(especially Anakin), at the same time she also looks out for the people's best interest and voices her opinion when called for. She also doesn't judge as quickly as others, she thought Anakin wasn't evil and held onto that belief until she found out herself so she isn't quick to judge by hearing someone say it.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Man, for working 60 hours a week, I sure do see your name in these forums a lot...

Also, asking somebody else to come up with counter points to a video is pretty damaging to your argument.

im tired of discussing the points how is that damaging? second my job isnt demanding so i can post alot, however with the computer in my office i cannot make a youtube video. and i dont care enough about this to waste my weekends. id be happy to discuss points with any1 making such a video though. but i prefer to argue in person not on forums. from posts its harder and more tedious to explain things and major points can be missed or misunderstood by readers

Please enlighten us.

eta: There are certainly stupid things in the OT, but overall each movie was well done. My personal pet peeve in Ep IV is the SD gunner scene, "Hold your fire! There are no life signs." It is stupid as hell, and serves no purpose. We don't need to see why the escape pod wasn't shot down, especially when the reason why is stupid.

dude watch the robot chicken and family guys parodies. theres alot more than that

You can't defend the indefensible.

The prequels were so horrible I personally don't consider them canon.

The description of people in the originals contradicts everything Lucas filmed in the prequels.

He lost his touch and starting filming couch scenes and CGI. There are over 200 couch scenes in the prequels. EVERYTHING else is CGI.

Lucas gave a us a great gift and then ruined what could have been 3 great movies.

You can't defend the indefensible.

The prequels were so horrible I personally don't consider them canon.

The description of people in the originals contradicts everything Lucas filmed in the prequels.

He lost his touch and starting filming couch scenes and CGI. There are over 200 couch scenes in the prequels. EVERYTHING else is CGI.

Lucas gave a us a great gift and then ruined what could have been 3 great movies.

i actually like the cgi and think if he ever makes another star wars film it should be 100% cgi. Id like to see a movie similar to the style of the cinematics for this game

i actually like the cgi and think if he ever makes another star wars film it should be 100% cgi. Id like to see a movie similar to the style of the cinematics for this game

I would even forgive it if it was good CGI, but in all the scenes with people riding "animals" the CGI breaks the immersion because its so poorly done. In the final scene of III, Obi Wan and Anakin are lava surfing??? Oh come on. You never saw that crap in the originals. Lava surfing? Really?

Next thing you'll say is that you really like couch scenes.

Yes, I'm poking fun but the prequels literally go "couch scene", CGI, couch scene, CGI, couch scene, walking down a hallway, CGI, walking down a hallway, couch scene, CGI.

I'm not making this up. Go watch one and come back and tell me its not true.

Edited by Arkerus

You know when a film is **** when you have to release a book that explains what is actually going on because there is a ton of plot holes in it

ima pause for a minute to mention that dude, i love your sig

Edited by Solbjorn

You know when a film is **** when you have to release a book that explains what is actually going on because there is a ton of plot holes in it

Ok so I guess movies that have books are all **** then? The OT had books, HP had books, none of them were **** films were they? The books can add in more stuff then movies ever could, because movies are limited in what they can do. Books however are only limited by imagination.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Ok so I guess movies that have books are all **** then? The OT had books, HP had books, none of them were **** films were they? The books can add in more stuff then movies ever could, because movies are limited in what they can do. Books however are only limited by imagination.

altho books exist for other movies, they aren't necessary to understand the film. Extra details are fine and dandy if the movie has a good story narrative in the first place. the book shouldn't be filed under 'necessary reading' to make sense of the film.

altho books exist for other movies, they aren't necessary to understand the film. Extra details are fine and dandy if the movie has a good story narrative in the first place. the book shouldn't be filed under 'necessary reading' to make sense of the film.

Pretty much this.

Its 19 years later...

BUT EVERYONE IS REALLY OLD NOW.

Good job Lucas. How did you mess that up?

"Your father was a good man".

Then all we see if Anakin whine, cry and succomb to the darkside. His flaws were apparent the moment is stepped on screen. That was not how Lucas described Anakin in the originals.