2 major disappointments about xpac: 0 new flashpoints and no class stories

Dimoxinil

I really can't believe that there are no new flashpoints and no chapter 4 in this expac. I came to terms with its reduced scale and everything (only one planet), but these 2 features missing is a real let down.

Class stories

Class stories are at the heart of this game. It's what sets it apart from other MMO's. And it was a success from the get go. People, including myself, roll alts just to experience the great story lines. In light of all that, I don't understand why bioware thought it was a wise decision to not add a 4th chapter in this expac.

Does anyone now if class stories abandonned forever, or is this only part of the interlude?

Flashpoints

I'm really speechless about this one. Not a single new flashpoint. Zero. And no 4 new hard modes does not sweeten the deal. We've all run those dozens of times, it's hardly new content. This really is unbelievable in my eyes. I do applaud the new operation though.

There seems to be good stuff in this expac, planet sounds cool and all, achievements, etc. I'm not saying it's all bad. But these 2 features not being there is a major disappointment for me.

Just wanted to express my opinion here and hopefully get some feedback from BW regarding these points.

Cheers

The lack of class stories is pretty disappointing but it is understandable. They are expensive and time consuming. I wish they had done them, but I can live without them. The Makeb story is very well done.

The no new FPs is pretty pathetic. Myself and many others have been mocking Blizzard for reusing their instances left and right and now Bioware just made us look like fools.

It is a terrible shame that they reused old instances as the 55 HMs instead of making new ones.

I guess thats part of having an expac that only costs $10 though.

Really? They have stated over and over that these two things would not be included in the xpac. The is Chapter 4 called Makeb. Its one thing to hope for the future its another to be hopefully that they were lieing to us about what was explicitly publisized as not going to be included.

The lack of class stories is pretty disappointing but it is understandable. They are expensive and time consuming. I wish they had done them, but I can live without them. The Makeb story is very well done.

The no new FPs is pretty pathetic. Myself and many others have been mocking Blizzard for reusing their instances left and right and now Bioware just made us look like fools.

It is a terrible shame that they reused old instances as the 55 HMs instead of making new ones.

I guess thats part of having an expac that only costs $10 though.

I understand the 10$, and as I said I accept the reduced scale of the xpac because of it. However, if we compare with wow (sorry but it is the #1 competitor), there are 6 new instances in MoP I think. Divide by 4 (40$ vs 10$), and we should at least get 1.

I appreciate the quality of the Makeb storyline (have yet to play it but I hear it's great) however it's no excuse in my opnion. And saying class stories are expensive is a lame excuse too, although I prefer no class stories instead of half-baked ones.

I understand the 10$, and as I said I accept the reduced scale of the xpac because of it. However, if we compare with wow (sorry but it is the #1 competitor), there are 6 new instances in MoP I think. Divide by 4 (40$ vs 10$), and we should at least get 1.

We did, the new Operation, Scum and Villany.

Question for you, how many alts do you have?

My guess is most people do not have one of each class. I only have 2 50s. So how do you think the expansion content would have turned out if they had to make 6 addition stories considering that most people wont' ever see all 8 stories?

Edited by DaRoamer

I was MAJORLY DISSAPOINTED too when I found out there were no flashpoints and no class story updates....

....months ago.

How can you just now be finding out what is in the RotHC expansion? Can our nation no longer read????? Do we just buy things all whilly-nilly without a clue of what we are buying??? Why am I talking to myself????

Edited by MarvelZombie

I haven't purchased the expansion yet... but I thought that it said that it continued our class stories? (like in the preview videos). Is this not the case? Someone mentioned that the new planet has a story and that it is chapter 4? (so, does that mean it is the same for everyone?)

If you want to split hairs and be technical....there is a Chapter 4 storyline, it's Makeb and culminates all of the class storylines into one. They did at least take the time to program slight differences in the storyline into it and pull some bits and pieces of information from the class stories to make it not 100% identical for all classes (at least the dialog).

Also, there are "new" flashpoints. There are new heroic versions of previous flashpoints that didn't have heroic versions before. While not entirely new....they are new to us in the sense that there are some added mechanics that require a little bit of re-learning them.

As others have stated, the problem with continuing class stories is in the cost. Both cost for development time plus cost to all of the extra paid voice actors as well.

Keep in mind that this is the first real expansion for SWTOR and future expansions may get bigger. SWTOR was suffereing before the f2p influx of players, so honestly I can understand their limited budget for their first xpac.

In the end, I feel that we got what paid for ($10 worth of content) for this go around and hold out hope that cash income from f2p and cartel market will give BW/EA more $$ to work with and more incentive to make the next xpac much larger.

I was MAJORLY DISSAPOINTED too when I found out there were no flashpoints and no class story updates....

....months ago.

How can you just now be finding out what is in the RotHC expansion? Can our nation no longer read????? Do we just buy things all whilly-nilly without a clue of what we are buying??? Why am I talking to myself????

^^^^this

I haven't purchased the expansion yet... but I thought that it said that it continued our class stories? (like in the preview videos). Is this not the case? Someone mentioned that the new planet has a story and that it is chapter 4? (so, does that mean it is the same for everyone?)

One republic story and one imperial. However the dialogue is unique for each class and they make references to your class story.

I'm really speechless about this one. Not a single new flashpoint. Zero. And no 4 new hard modes does not sweeten the deal. We've all run those dozens of times, it's hardly new content.

I get that this is your opinion, but it certainly doesn't match my experience. Prior to 2.0, I've run

Athiss - 2 times

Hammer Station - 3 times

Cademimu - 2 times

Mandalorian Raiders - never

And this is with 9 level 50s, over a year of playtime, and having run all the other HM FPs more times than I could count.

I've actually been asking, on these very forums, for HMs of the remaining story modes. I'm happy they're available.

Do I want brand-new flashpoints? Sure, of course I do. But all you have to do is run it ONCE and it is no longer new any more, right?

The fact that there are 4 more HM FPs is a blessing, as on my way to gear up my toons I have more choices.

Dont pay atention. The class story is not dead. But diferent impacts resulting from your choices are. Thats the part that is costly.

With that said, we still have individual stories. Its just the outcome is the same. Its still more storytelling than every other MMORPG has.

Wish we had more flashpoints aswell, but lets be honest, we paid what 8 euros for this? We got plenty of value for what we paid.

Edited by Nemmar

I appreciate the quality of the Makeb storyline (have yet to play it but I hear it's great) however it's no excuse in my opnion. And saying class stories are expensive is a lame excuse too, although I prefer no class stories instead of half-baked ones.

Yeah, MoP also cost 40 bucks. The voice acting is not only expensive, like others have stated, but also time consuming. When Swtor gets a real expansion, I am sure you'll see more FP's and Class Missions.

Edit: typed 60 bucks instead of 40, my head isn't on straight today... xD

Edited by DarthKaigen

I am disappointed if this is the route Swtor will take in the future. Class stories are really what made me enjoy the game, granted that I do like the expansion storyline but it just isn't as fulfilling or awesome.

Taking the IA as an example, after the events of chapter three (considering all the different outcomes) I just don't feel like a super spy

or a double agent for the republic

and more like an Imperial grunt soldier.

However I do understand that this game has taken some hits over the past year and the expansion is a steal at £6-12. But I do not want it to turn into another generic MMO without any diversity in stories.

Also, this will most likely not be the END of content you get from ROTHC. There was a flashpoint and Dread Masters focused operation leaked some time back along with all the current operations. And no, I don't think they're going to put a pay wall behind just new flashpoints and operations. In most MMOS when there is an expansion, small or large content is rolled out over time, not just at its launch.

I really can't believe that there are no new flashpoints and no chapter 4 in this expac. I came to terms with its reduced scale and everything (only one planet), but these 2 features missing is a real let down.

I suppose. I'm happy with the xpack/DLC, considering that it was only $10. I get to play my favorite characters again.

I think class stories were dead the moment the game didn't bring in WoW-money.

We did, the new Operation, Scum and Villany.

Question for you, how many alts do you have?

My guess is most people do not have one of each class. I only have 2 50s. So how do you think the expansion content would have turned out if they had to make 6 addition stories considering that most people wont' ever see all 8 stories?

Your preferences/choices do not equate to the majority. I know that everyone likes to think that they are the smartest/best/etc... and that the majority obviously think and feel as they do, but that's simply wrong.

It may be that the majority of players don't play through all the stories, or it may be that the majority do. The legacy system certainly encourages people to play through them, although the rewards could be a bit nicer considering the amount of time investment it takes to go past legacy 30 for only a reduction in ship travel every 10 legacy levels, lol.

The point is that it's a very poor assumption to assume that you are the norm.