Easiest class mechanics wise

BynerFox

My girlfriend is going to give this game a go (she isn't' a big star wars fan, but she does like games with stories, which i think will help). I'm trying to figure out a good class to suggest that isn't terribly hard, something that can get her interested into the game.

We would be on the Republic side.

My main is a Scoundrel.

She plays a hunter on WoW so I would think Sharpshooter would be comparable. I just don't want to lead her towards a character that has really tricky mechanics for their class.

I figured we would roll Jedi together, and I would go the tank route, and I would guess she would maybe be the other Jedi, but I don't know much of that class in terms of skills.

Any thoughts on a more straightforward class that would get her started?

I'd dare say that the simplest class is the Trooper/Bounty Hunter.

Smugglers/Imperial Agents have the cover system, so that make them slightly more complex to play.

Jedi aren't bad either, but do have to consider where they're standing, and worry about AoE's more, because they're melee.

I tried the Trooper for a little bit in beta and they seemed pretty straight forward.

I haven't played the Trooper but I do play the BH/Merc. One possible issue with the Trooper is that the story from what I hear is not a feel good one. I can say that the story line for the BH is very good (imo it's better then any of the movies). I would worry more about story line in your case then class mechanic's if the story is going to depress her it might be a bad choice making her not want to play.

Avoid IA and Smuggler. The cover system is difficult to master. When you go into cover your toolbar changes and your abilities can move around on it. Also the starter planet deals with civil warfare. It's like playing a console wargame.

I think Jedi Consular is the way to go. It's a ranged force user and can go the healer route for the advanced class. For the pure iconic Star Wars experience, go Jedi Knight. It's worth it for the music alone. The cut scene when you obtain your lightsaber is worth the price of admission.

Edited by Owsley

Trooper is probably the most basic/easy playstyle but I hated the story. Good storytelling and the fact that it upset me so much means it was well done but if she isn't really a SW fan anyway and really cares about the story more than the game itself then it might drive her away.

The secret to getting someone to play though isn't picking the easiest. It's letting her see all the options and pick something she can relate to so that she DOES get into the story and want to see what happens next.

Thanks for the thoughts... In general she likes the Archer or Mage type characters. My initial gut was a Consular since it filled that Magey type role, where the Solider or Smuggler felt more Huntery/Archery type.

The real trick is that I would need to roll a character that had the same initial starting area to help her out. So that would limit my choice, but initially I was planning Jedi Knight into the Tanking class.

I think she could handle the Sharpshooter AC since having the tool bar change isn't a super crazy leap for her, but getting her to understand cover may be tricky, especially since sometimes the game is picky about rolling you into it. I thought the smuggler story arch is kinda neat right now, but I can't really speak to the other classes at all.