Tier 4 Gear in Game Update 5.2

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

In Game Update 5.2, we will be introducing a new tier of gear to Galactic Command. Tier 4 works a bit differently than other tiers and so we want to provide you with insight about why we’re implementing it. Additionally, we know our social post raised a few concerns and so we want to tackle those first.

Why add 100 more Command Ranks?

The 100 new levels were simply a logical next step for adding Tier 4 gear. However, since it’s already possible to rank up at Command Level 300 indefinitely we decided to take your feedback and keep the current cap. So, starting in 5.2, Command Crates dropped at Level 300 will contain Tier 4 gear (going forward Tier 3 will stop being provided at Rank 299).

Why a new Tier of gear?

We have two main goals in mind for the addition of Tier 4: The first is to act as a benefit for players who put in the time and effort to level up to Command Rank 300. The second goal is giving the most skilled PvE players in SWTOR a worthwhile reward for their coordination and gameplay mastery while also introducing gear drops needed for taking on Tyth in Veteran Mode and other Master Mode Operation bosses. PvP players will also be able to purchase Tier 4 gear for Unassembled Components as they do for other Tiers today.

Now let’s talk about what sets Tier 4 apart from previous gear upgrades. Perhaps the best way to start is to read up on how Command Crates are changing in 5.2.

Tier 4’s biggest difference from previous Tiers is every gear drop from a Command Crate will be Prototype (Blue) Artifact (Purple), or Legendary (Gold); there are no Premium (green) items. Additionally, Prototype quality items in this Tier all have set bonuses. This means every piece of gear coming from a Command Crate in Tier 4 will have a set bonus (where applicable) and be of Prototype or better quality. It’s also important to note every piece of gear in Tier 4 is better than gear from previous tiers, including Tier 3 Legendaries. As Legendary Tier 4 items are best-in-slot, they will remain fairly rare from Command Crates.

Tier 4 is primarily for our most hardcore players who have maxed out their Command Rank and are working on getting best-in-slot gear for their character. Now, with Galactic Command, every player has an opportunity to get a complete set of the best gear offered in SWTOR.

Does this mean Tier 5 and/or more Command Ranks are coming in the future?

We certainly have explored the idea of adding more Command Ranks (as you know) and Tier 5 has been actively discussed as well. While we do have plans for new items in the future, these may or may not come with additional Ranks or through a new Tier level. Once we determine the appropriate delivery mechanism, we’ll let you know, but more than likely that’ll be much later in the year!

Let us know your thoughts, thanks everyone.

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I'm guessing that the tier 3 crates earnt before 5.2, even after cxp level 300 will still be tier 3 and wont suddenly change into tier 4 when 5.2 comes out... ie: should we save them till 5.2 or keep opening them?

I am two pieces away from full 242 bis and those last couple of bits are being ground out using pvp tokens, so I will be full 242 bis when 5.2 hits and would hate to lose an opportunity to get the jump on tier 4.

And Eric, I know its RNG based and I have been extremely, extraordinarily lucky... but I just have to say after grinding up sets for the last 3 major releases... I have never been this far geared in a new tier so quickly. I don't care what names people might want to call me, I have been lucky, extremely lucky and I have enjoyed the hell out of it... doesn't mean I haven't been frustrated at times... 6x240 chest-pieces last week when all I wanted was a belt was excruciating - especially when I win the random loot in KP too, and that was a 230 chestpiece too! Ironically the 230 is useful to me, the 6 240's are not... cant upgrade them!!

Edited by leehambly

• Dev Post
So, I'm guessing that the tier 3 crates earnt before 5.2, even after cxp level 300 will still be tier 3 and wont suddenly change into tier 4 when 5.2 comes out... ie: should we save them till 5.2 or keep opening them?

*snip*

Your guess is correct! Continue to open any crates that you earn until that time.

-eric

What is the reasoning behind even having legendary quality on progression gear? That rating should belong only and ONLY to rare items that require some effort to obtain. Like Crest of the Dread Masters.

So basically you are saying that from 5.2 onward there will be a de facto permanent gear disparity between players in pvp with only the most hardcore having the the gear to make the playing field level?

So basically you are saying that from 5.2 onward there will be a de facto permanent gear disparity between players in pvp with only the most hardcore having the the gear to make the playing field level?

Have you seen the changes for Ops? Pretty significant along with the 5.1.2 UA token update. Ok, not all pvp'ers will want to be involved in Ops, but there is easily 1 piece upgrade available for just doing the weekly pvp quest.... more than that and you'll be tearing through those tiers...

This is basically the system now that people wanted... back to the old Ops drops and cxp is now a personal bonus loot system which provides usable and upgradable seed pieces for ALL classes and advanced class.

I sense people either refuse to understand the upgrade process, want to ignore it out of hand "just cos" or simply don't understand it. Put simply, I now prefer the 230 pieces than the 242 pieces... I can gear 1 slot on 1 char with a 242... I can gear 3 slots (230, 236 and 242) on up to 3 separate chars with a single 230 piece.

And this is where and how pvp'ers will be getting their gear.

SNIP....

Does this mean Tier 5 and/or more Command Ranks are coming in the future?

We certainly have explored the idea of adding more Command Ranks (as you know) and Tier 5 has been actively discussed as well. While we do have plans for new items in the future, these may or may not come with additional Ranks or through a new Tier level. Once we determine the appropriate delivery mechanism, we’ll let you know, but more than likely that’ll be much later in the year!

Let us know your thoughts, thanks everyone.

-eric

For the love of gaming..... Just say yes, there will be a Tier 5. You already know it's going to happen you just don't know when. Stop beating around the bush at this point. A simply yes, Tier 5 is coming will do.

Does this mean getting a Tier 4 Command Crate will require the same CXP as filling up rank 300 does right now, so 4,990 CXP? Or will you increase the required CXP with 5.2? Edited by Jerba

For the love of gaming..... Just say yes, there will be a Tier 5. You already know it's going to happen you just don't know when. Stop beating around the bush at this point. A simply yes, Tier 5 is coming will do.

Why are you even commenting? What the hell good would it do to say that? It's 100% irrelevant right now, and everyone's been giving heat about the current system. Why the hell confirm something they likely have not even confirmed themselves since it's a work in progress? Just another bullet in your gun to shoot in case they revamp something and then you call then disorganised for coming back on their words.

Let it go and think before talking.

I am two pieces away from full 242 bis and those last couple of bits are being ground out using pvp tokens, so I will be full 242 bis when 5.2 hits and would hate to lose an opportunity to get the jump on tier 4.

If you have full 242 gear, do NOT open any more Tier 3 crates. You'll lose out on the CXP from disintegrating if you disintegrate them before 5.2. The space in your command stash is much more limited than the space in your bank (Cargo Hold), so put all your unopened crates in your bank until 5.2.

Edited by Jerba

Indeed... this should be a time for rejoicing and looking forward to what's coming (the playerbase has prevailed, well done you guys) rather than setting up the next rounds of ragequit.

Oh how I long for a cohesive and benevolent gaming community. So transparent.

If you have full 242 gear, do NOT open any more Tier 3 crates. You'll lose out on the CXP from disintegrating if you disintegrate them before 5.2. The space in your command stash is much more limited than the space in your bank (Cargo Hold), so put all your unopened crates in your bank until 5.2.

Given the current situation I'm in, I will continue to grind out only pvp tokens on my main to upgrade the last couple of pieces.. and ofc I'll continue to pop the boxes... while a bird in the hand is great, opening the crate to find the exact same loot I just spent a week grinding the upgrade for isn't really any fun, especially when dupes are basically useless to me.

I will, as planned, simply grind up an alt once main char pvp is exhausted.

Why are you even commenting? What the hell good would it do to say that? It's 100% irrelevant right now, and everyone's been giving heat about the current system. Why the hell confirm something they likely have not even confirmed themselves since it's a work in progress? Just another bullet in your gun to shoot in case they revamp something and then you call then disorganised for coming back on their words.

Because no one would bring up Tier 5 without knowing it already. That it is going to happen and that post is filled wiht PR jargon and when at the end of the day it will be happening. They might not know specifics but Tier 5 is going to happen else bw would never have brought it up in the first place and hinted at it now on the cusp of tier 4. It's communication I can't particularly stand. The beating around the bush hog wash.

Use your brain.

The changes coming are good but that particular addon at the end doesn't make much sense if it's not already in the works.

Edited by Quraswren

Because no one would bring up Tier 5 without knowing it already. That it is going to happen and that post is filled wiht PR jargon and when at the end of the day it will be happening. They might not know specifics but Tier 5 is going to happen else bw would never have brought it up in the first place and hinted at it now on the cusp of tier 4. It's communication I can't particularly stand. The beating around the bush hog wash.

Use your brain.

Just a game dude... you don't need to forward plan how to attack the next release. Just play the game. And yeah, release 6 is on the way too... but they wont be talking about that any time soon either.

Edited by leehambly

Far too little, far too late, built atop a broken foundation.

You've permanently lost me in another month's time, and nothing will ever change this again.

Said it before, I'll say it one last time: Thanks for nothing.

so the entire venture playing this game has been a thoroughly miserable time for you and yet you still hang around the forum?

Question, serious question... what would have been enough?

Indeed... this should be a time for rejoicing and looking forward to what's coming (the playerbase has prevailed, well done you guys) rather than setting up the next rounds of ragequit.

Oh how I long for a cohesive and benevolent gaming community. So transparent.

My God, you really believe that, don't you.

How's the weather in Stockholm?

Plan your gaming then not sniping on forums ffs.

Since Tier 5 is a very real possibility on being in game that is planning my gaming.

FFS starting thinking of more than just right now given how bw posted. If they didn't want it discussed they wouldn't have brought it up.

[color=#f9d648 The second goal is giving the most skilled PvE players in SWTOR a worthwhile reward for their coordination and gameplay mastery

-eric[/color]

No, Eric.

You don't want to reward SKILLED players.

You want to reward people with best luck in RNG.

Stop stop lying already and ADMIT the fact that skill have NOTHING to do with RNG.

Stop insulting people with this non-sense.

Thats just disgusting to hear this.

so the entire venture playing this game has been a thoroughly miserable time for you and yet you still hang around the forum?

Question, serious question... what would have been enough?

Reversion to the perfectly workable (just dial back the rate of comms gain for starter- and intermediate-level comms at level cap a little, and provide more things to buy with the starter level comms) system we had before this unmitigated piece of ****.

I have 30ish days left. Might as well use 'em. Forum PvP, best PvP, and no blatant gear disparity as an added bonus.

Edited by midianlord

Since Tier 5 is a very real possibility on being in game that is planning my gaming.

FFS starting thinking of more than just right now given how bw posted. If they didn't want it discussed they wouldn't have brought it up.

I don't mind the discussion, its the transparency on the direction you are taking though... its horribly thin. Be honest with yourself... take your own advice, plan your future... to me, its just a game that I play for a laugh with a few people... I couldn't care less about the how the loot is dished out, after all... its like that for all of us. You can decide to move on.