Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

There's a silver lining to the "guilds don't move as one" part of the server merger.

"For guild members and masters, you will not be able to transfer your guild as a whole to your new server; instead you will need to reform it. "

It means no dead wood. If guilds have folks that aren't subbed, aren't playing, or aren't paying attention they won't get in on the transfer. That way, when you see these guilds, you can bet that most (maybe all?) of the characters in the guild are actually representing active players.

I know I boot people that don't log in monthly on our forums and the game. The transfer will be an opportunity to see who in your guild is really playing and aware and involved. If you lose people, you're likely to lose the ones that aren't paying attention... which might not be a big loss.

Paige

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not into complaining, but this is something that is so needed at the moment, that the chance of it being more negative than positive forces me to want to write this.

Because this will take even longer to implement.

On behalf of our guild alliance on Terentatek, I'd like to request a list of the first servers that can transfer and to which servers be posted ASAP. We have a lot of players to coordinate and can't just do this on the fly, especially since we will have to recreate our guilds if our server is one of the ones that people will be leaving, but we also need to know if our server is a receiving server. Surely you can give us the initial ones, since it's only a week away?

Exactly this ^

His concerns match my own. We've got a bunch of players that we need to coordinate since we can't just move a guild. The sooner the information is made available the smoother we can make the transition for our guild members.

Edited by Voren_Kurn

Is there a way to check for toon names and legacy names on target servers? If given the option to transfer to multiple servers, I would like to know if I can transfer to a server without changing any names.

Not legacy names, but you can check for toon names. Just have to log into that server and try to create the character there. If you have a destination in mind, you may as well do this now in order to function as a place holder until server transfers become available.

Scorpienne:

Dead wood?

I'm a GM of what was once an uber active, huge guild. That dead wood is as such because the server situation is terrible. When they look to come back, I'll want them on my guild's new server.

It sounds to me like this simply won't be possible. You either put in your transfer for X server during Y period of time, or you're screwed.

Edited by islander

On behalf of Redrum and other guilds of the pre-launch server Dreshdae Cantina, please make us a Destination, as should other pre-launch servers be similarly designated. The active players and guilds on these low population pre-launch servers are some of your longest playing paying subscribers and to have to abandon the ties we have established here could be viewed as a slap in the face.

For your consideration.

There's a silver lining to the "guilds don't move as one" part of the server merger.

"For guild members and masters, you will not be able to transfer your guild as a whole to your new server; instead you will need to reform it. "

It means no dead wood. If guilds have folks that aren't subbed, aren't playing, or aren't paying attention they won't get in on the transfer. That way, when you see these guilds, you can bet that most (maybe all?) of the characters in the guild are actually representing active players.

I know I boot people that don't log in monthly on our forums and the game. The transfer will be an opportunity to see who in your guild is really playing and aware and involved. If you lose people, you're likely to lose the ones that aren't paying attention... which might not be a big loss.

Paige

That's pretty innovative. Glad to see another angle to it :D

What would happen--rather, what do you think would happen (and if a CS rep could chime in here I'd love it)--if the scenario was the same as above, but you already had a lower-level legacy with a preferred name established on server B?

Basically:

Server A: Level 31 Legacy with undesired name

MOVES TO

Server B: Level 2 Legacy with a preferable name.

What happens then?

I do know that the 31 legacy will override legacy 2. But name wise I'm not sure. You may just need to rename it since someone else could have both your undesired name and your desired name.

Lame. Lame lame lame. BioWare, why do you continue to fail at community support?

My guild is stuck on a dead server, with most of its members having high legacy levels (30+), and have been planning on transferring together. And now this.

What producer, manager or empty suit at BioWare/EA failed to plan for this scenario? Have you fired him yet? Because he freakin' deserves it.

QFT.

The more I read into and discover about this, the more fail is becomes.

Bioware, why don't you run some of your own scripts to determine what guilds would transfer without duplicate names? Transfer guilds with unique names together, then lesser priority to 1.) members' legacies and 2.) character names, and finally offer to put all of them into pre-sized servers or just to stay on low-pop servers.

Don't make us run around and do all of this legwork ourselves. You're the developer, and EA is the publisher, so time to own up and do this work yourselves to make sure server transfers are smooth. Stop unloading all this cr@p on the community for them to figure out and /faceroll on their own.

If you can't transfer entire guilds, then many guilds won't want to move. Solve the server pop issues without making people worry about being split up and losing their guild, legacy, and character names.

This is so FUBARED!

Why not do guild transfers as a block move that essentially initiates an optional transfer for all members, and that moves the entity of the guild itself?

Those that opt out remain on the server and become guild-less, those that opt in get to move to where the guild is, even if the window of opportunity has gone. Seems fair to me.

Example: You log in and are greeted with 'Your guild has elected to move from Bananarama to Funky Chicken, do you wish to join them?' Click Yes or No, maybe have an Are You Really Sure, and job done. Transfer happens or not.

Keeping guilds together as cohesive units would seem pretty critical.

^^ Similar to the pre-launch guild actions.

On behalf of Redrum and other guilds of the pre-launch server Dreshdae Cantina, please make us a Destination, as should other pre-launch servers be similarly designated. The active players and guilds on these low population pre-launch servers are some of your longest playing paying subscribers and to have to abandon the ties we have established here could be viewed as a slap in the face.

For your consideration.

I second this motion for Girdda the Hutt!

Edited by Menthro

I'm not going to move from my 2 servers , but I thought of a situation for guilds.

I don't know how guilds work in this game but how are you going to organize re-guilding as it were. What if many of your guildies had to change character names etc. I guess you all know your guildies email addresses for such situations , hopefully you do. Also the part about the destination server might change is worrying , you can't split up these guilds. I'm sure someone can clarify this.

Really great that you are bringing this before early summer , ahead of time , well done.

cheers,

Badorb.

• Dev Post
That's fantastic news. My only concern is that I will be moving from one dead server to another.

This is exactly the situation we're working to avoid by limiting transfers. To quote the blog:

Remember, the goal here is to push almost every destination server to an active population that's higher.

Our overall goal is that destination servers will have a higher active population than origin servers that are able to transfer to them.

This is great and all but I just don't understand why we can't go from PvE to PvP?? Granted it was my fault for making a toon on a PvE server (which I only did for my guild, that is now dead) but god dammit the PvP blows, leme go to a better server PLEASEEE!!

Relax, you will be able to go anywere you want too.As long as it is a server they want you to move to for free.

Thats how i read it.Why should you not be able to go from PvE to PvP :rolleyes:

BioWare is not going to say, nope sry, you made the char on a PvE server so thats were you have to be.

So relax dude.

Edited by Lord_Karsk

Scorpienne:

Dead wood?

I'm a GM of what was once an uber active, huge guild. That dead wood is as such because the server situation is terrible. When they look to come back, I'll want them on my guild's new server.

It sounds to me like this simply won't be possible. You either put in your transfer for X server during Y period of time, or you're screwed.

They need to learn that they can't just start and end stuff like this abruptley, this is critical for the games future. This is no rakghoul event where when it is ended people are missing out on a rare crystal, oh no, this is something that will affect subscriptions on a large scale.

For your consideration.

I second this motion for Girda the Hutt!

Third. Good idea.

(my pre-launch server is Mind Trick)

Edited by cipher_nemo

For your consideration.

With Dreshdae Cantina as my original server with 2 50s and the level 31 Legacy I rerolled off of, I support this.

Question for mods: Why does BioWare not seem open to the widespread desire of players to have per-character surnames that are separate from the server's Legacy name? Would that not ease the tension of having to change the Legacy names for server transfers?

Jacen Solo is part of the Skywalker Legacy, yet his surname is not Skywalker.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Because this will take even longer to implement.

It's better to do something right even if it takes longer that doing something quick and screw everyone. Didn't we learn anything from the hurries for getting more servers? ;) Anyways, they've got plenty of time to think something better.

Cheers.

Nice! I mean my server is on the top 10 I think so it will most likely be a destination server but I'm still happy to hear there will be more.

Quick question though ... will ther be faction restrictions to balance out the imbalance? It would be a problem if say the empire on server X hardly sees a difference while the republic gets ask the goods.

It's better to do something right even if it takes longer that doing something quick and screw everyone. Didn't we learn anything from the hurries for getting more servers? ;) Anyways, they've got plenty of time to think something better.

Cheers.

Agreed 100%.