George Lucas rumored to be erasing original trilogy (and he should).

loudent

Leave George Lucas alone, I like see you all, to make a epic syfi movie and spend every day for the next 30 year on making the movie. it took 30 years to make the Trilogy I like to see you all do better....

George Lucas has done more for film indistray, spical effects, he did all the special effects for Star Trek movies and TV series. special effect from ILM has made leap and bounds because George Lucas dose not belive in failing.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anytime any so called reporter opens with "Now, we hate to perpetuate rumors that may not have any basis in reality, but"

Means they are literally talking out of something other then their mouth. This is journalism at its worst. It is a giant conspiracy theory based on 2 statements and one example that isn't exactly true and taken out of context.

There are many people who should start their posts in this forum with that phrase. :)

What is it that was so bad about 1 2 3 of the movies. lucas has overseen alot of the games that have been made and there are some really good ones. In my opinion it does not matter what kind of person he is. When it comes to his movies he is brilliant. Also when he first wrote star wars he didnt write episodes 4 5 6 first he wrote all of it he just liked the last three the best and made it into the movies. I dont think he originally planned on making anymore after 4 5 6. but I dont think he will ever do a remake where they go back in time. I think someone may have just taken what he said in that interview out of context.

Really though what was so bad about episodes 1 2 3. I would like to hear from those that think they where awful.

Like I said before without the brilliant mind of Lucas we would not be talking in this forum and playing the game. I think Star Wars and Indiana Jones should earn him respect for what he can do.

What is it that was so bad about 1 2 3 of the movies. lucas has overseen alot of the games that have been made and there are some really good ones. In my opinion it does not matter what kind of person he is. When it comes to his movies he is brilliant. Also when he first wrote star wars he didnt write episodes 4 5 6 first he wrote all of it he just liked the last three the best and made it into the movies. I dont think he originally planned on making anymore after 4 5 6. but I dont think he will ever do a remake where they go back in time. I think someone may have just taken what he said in that interview out of context.

Really though what was so bad about episodes 1 2 3. I would like to hear from those that think they where awful.

Like I said before without the brilliant mind of Lucas we would not be talking in this forum and playing the game. I think Star Wars and Indiana Jones should earn him respect for what he can do.

I could list to you the reasons 1-3 are bad, but I'm sure you've heard them all before, and I suspect you're asking a leading question just so you can start refuting opinions. Here's the bottom line: I did not find the prequels entertaining. I didn't like the characters, the plot, or almost anything else about it. The prequels are bad in my opinion because I think they're bad.

And Lucas has overseen very few of the games. Stop trying to give him credit for the amazing things others have created.

As for what he wrote when he originally made Star Wars, you're perpetuating a myth that has been repeatedly shown to be patently false. He didn't "write all of it" and decide to make the 4,5,6 into a movie. When he first made Episode IV, it wasn't even titled Episode IV. Vader was a token villain. And he didn't even write Episode V.

I respect Lucas for what he did. I don't respect him for his blatant denial of what others did. The Star Wars legacy isn't just Lucas' legacy, but he'd have you believe otherwise.

Im not going to argue about why they suck or why they dont, because everyone will have a different view on the subject. Just curious what others thought. I have heard alot say they didnt like them but not alot of why.

Where did you get your facts

I no a new hope was not labeled as number 4 origanally it was originally going to be a stand alone story. When he decided on the sequels he then labled them as 4 5 6. When he wrote the story it was to big so he decided to do a new hope and originally it was just called star wars.

He wrote the star wars saga and decided to go with a new hope due to the fact the tech did not exist to do the things in 1 2 3 like the cities of coruscant mustafar and other things. Now the first story he wrote was just an outline basically. He changed alot when they decided on the films. Like vader was not the same person as anakin and luke and leia were not brother and sister and others these changes were made when he decide to do 5 and 6. Originally the first of the story was about the clone wars and rise of the sith/villian/vader/emperor. a pupil of kenobi's turning to the darkside and how the villian became part machine and so on. This information has been stated in interviews with lucas and in many sites online.

Also I know Lucas should not get credit for the games, but he did have to aprove these things being made and oversee some of them. He owned the rights. so I think some credit should be his for anything star wars, but credit goes to other to. I didnt mean he has done everything his self.

Remember without him we would not be playing these games and be talking about this here.

Edited by acsith
Wrote something wrong

Im not going to argue about why they suck or why they dont, because everyone will have a different view on the subject. Just curious what others thought. I have heard alot say they didnt like them but not alot of why.

Okay, fair enough.

(People: these are my opinions. You can argue against them if you want, but then you'd just be a tool. Telling me why my opinion is "wrong" isn't going to change it):

The Phantom Menace - Jar Jar Binks, as well as child actors saying things like "Yippee" annoyed the piss out of me. There was a crap ton of pointless dialogue that just dragged the movie on and political intrigue that failed to be intriguing. The plot was horrendously disjointed, the characters were all wooden and one-dimensional, and I left the theater feeling entirely empty. It elicited no emotional response from me. When Qui-Gon was cut down, I had an overwhelming sense of "eh."

The Attack of the Clones - This was okay. Yet more annoying children in the form of Baby Boba. The action was utterly ridiculous, from the worm assassin plot to the fight in the giant ACME factory. The romance was painful to watch and made me want to kill younglings. Getting a woman to fall in love with you by telling her you just slaughtered a village was beyond my ability to suspend disbelief. The plot was overall silly and convoluted. Sure the average Star Wars fanboy fully understands what was going on. But the average moviegoer is forced to ask "Who erased what data, and why is the bounty hunter trying to kill Padme, and why is the bounty hunter that tried to kill her the same one they cloned, and why is the guy that made the clones fighting for the other guy against the Jedi if the clones are on the Jedis' side, and why are they in a giant arena..."

The Revenge of the Sith - This one was moderately tolerable, and most of my problems are annoyances than being downright hateful of it. It starts with the opening crawl. "There are heroes on both sides." When did Star Wars stop being a fight between good and evil? The romance was annoying again. Anakin's 180 shift from Jedi struggling to be good to slaughtering younglings was idiotic, to say the least. Yoda throwing in the towel like a punk annoyed the crap outta me. Then, of course, there's the fabled "high ground."

Where did you get your facts

I no a new hope was not labeled as number 4 origanally it was originally going to be a stand alone story. When he decided on the sequels he then labled them as 4 5 6. When he wrote the story it was to big so he decided to do a new hope and originally it was just called star wars.

He wrote the star wars saga and decided to go with a new hope due to the fact the tech did not exist to do the things in 1 2 3 like the cities of coruscant mustafar and other things. Now the first story he wrote was just an outline basically. He changed alot when they decided on the films. Like vader was not the same person as anakin and luke and leia were not brother and sister and others these changes were made when he decide to do 5 and 6. Originally the first of the story was about the clone wars and rise of the sith/villian/vader/emperor. a pupil of kenobi's turning to the darkside and how the villian became part machine and so on. This information has been stated in interviews with lucas and in many sites online.

Okay, now you're backpedaling (I saw your original comment before you just edited and rewrote it), which leads me to believe you've been doing research and found that my original statement, as it stands, is correct: Lucas didn't write out the entire story originally, and it wasn't until after the original film's success that he expanded on the plot. Honestly, I'm not going take the effort to find every piece of info for you, because it's all over the place: some from interviews, others from DVD commentaries, IMDB, etc, etc. Here's the short of it: Lucas originally developed Star Wars as a standalone film. Like any good storywriter, he created a backstory so his characters would have more depth. This doesn't mean he meant to take that backstory and make its own film out of it. It wasn't until the early 80s that he started developing this myth that he'd created this massive saga and only decided to do the middle first (which at the time he said would take 9 movies to tell the whole story).

Seriously, there's details for this stuff all over the place, and it only takes a moderate amount of Googling. The bottom line is the urban myth that he had this idea for a multi-movie saga from the start is a false rumor perpetuated by Lucas himself.

As for who wrote Empire Strikes Back, you need only go to IMDB.

Also I know Lucas should not get credit for the games, but he did have to aprove these things being made and oversee some of them. He owned the rights. so I think some credit should be his for anything star wars, but credit goes to other to. I didnt mean he has done everything his self.

Remember without him we would not be playing these games and be talking about this here.

You're right, there should be some credit simply because it has Star Wars in the title, but most Star Wars games have little more than blanket approval from him. Your original statement seemed to argue the awesome games as a testament to him, and I think that's stretching it.

I've never denied that if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have these games in the first place. But that's just as much a testament to the others that helped make Star Wars a success, those people whose work he's allowing to fade an die with the original prints, in contradiction of his statements about the importance of preserving films as part of our cultural heritage.

I think George Lucas could have done alot more. He had an ability to make really great movies. Instead he made maybe 12 hours of great SW and really has done nothing since. He has the money and the know how but decided his gift was SW and that was it. He also want a zillion dollars just for anything to do with SW.

Compare that to Gene Roddenberry. Nearly 700 episodes at 45 minutes each. then 11 movies at 2 hours each. If GL had of done anything close to this he could say he left a legacy and I would be very impressed. But he didn't, he made 12 hours of film in last 68 years.

GL = 12 hours (You could watch them all in half a day)

GR = 525 hours (It would take you 23 days if you never slept)(months of show to watch)

Edited by TriIIian

Okay, now you're backpedaling (I saw your original comment before you just edited and rewrote it), which leads me to believe you've been doing research and found that my original statement, as it stands, is correct: Lucas didn't write out the entire story originally, and it wasn't until after the original film's success that he expanded on the plot. Honestly, I'm not going take the effort to find every piece of info for you, because it's all over the place: some from interviews, others from DVD commentaries, IMDB, etc, etc. Here's the short of it: Lucas originally developed Star Wars as a standalone film. Like any good storywriter, he created a backstory so his characters would have more depth. This doesn't mean he meant to take that backstory and make its own film out of it. It wasn't until the early 80s that he started developing this myth that he'd created this massive saga and only decided to do the middle first (which at the time he said would take 9 movies to tell the whole story).

Seriously, there's details for this stuff all over the place, and it only takes a moderate amount of Googling. The bottom line is the urban myth that he had this idea for a multi-movie saga from the start is a false rumor perpetuated by Lucas himself.

As for who wrote Empire Strikes Back, you need only go to IMDB.

I didnt backpedal I just reworded what I written.

Ok this could go on forever tell me where the interview is where lucas says he didnt write the whole story. You say what Im reading on the internet is rumors and then you say its all over the internet that he didnt write the whole story, geuss there know way those sites can be wrong, and in regards to who wrote 5 writing the script is not the same as the story. The script is written from the story. I give the guy credit for that. I know lucas didnt do these movies all by himself and you kind of contradicted what you posted earlier saying he didnt write the whole story and your last post says he wrote backstories on his characters. So isnt the backstory for vader episodes 1 2 3. I will say know more on this issue because its not that important. You can only prove your point the same way I can net research. Show me a video interview with lucas saying he only wrote 4 to start with and I will agree with you and admitt im wrong.

Okay, now you're backpedaling (I saw your original comment before you just edited and rewrote it), which leads me to believe you've been doing research and found that my original statement, as it stands, is correct: Lucas didn't write out the entire story originally, and it wasn't until after the original film's success that he expanded on the plot. Honestly, I'm not going take the effort to find every piece of info for you, because it's all over the place: some from interviews, others from DVD commentaries, IMDB, etc, etc. Here's the short of it: Lucas originally developed Star Wars as a standalone film. Like any good storywriter, he created a backstory so his characters would have more depth. This doesn't mean he meant to take that backstory and make its own film out of it. It wasn't until the early 80s that he started developing this myth that he'd created this massive saga and only decided to do the middle first (which at the time he said would take 9 movies to tell the whole story). Seriously, there's details for this stuff all over the place, and it only takes a moderate amount of Googling. The bottom line is the urban myth that he had this idea for a multi-movie saga from the start is a false rumor perpetuated by Lucas himself. As for who wrote Empire Strikes Back, you need only go to IMDB. .
I changed my mind and decided to look this stuff up anyway I will admitt I was wrong on a few things and so were you I went to IMD and looked on episode 5 and yes Leigh Brackett Lawrence Kasdan wrote the screenplay but the story was written by lucas which I originally said http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080684/fullcredits#writers
in this interview he does state he wrote a script which was 4 5 6 and used the first part but also states that he wrote a backstory on everything which is episodes 1 2 3 and that was the basis for the original movies 4 5 6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeDBZMpaZqY in this interview when asked why he waited 16 years to do the 1 movie he states he was waiting on the technology to catch up with his imagination. Now when I originally posted I think I said he wrote the whole story and he did I wasnt talking about a screenplay or script where I was wrong is I said he wanted to do 1 but decided to do 4 I said he decided on the middle part of the story 4 first and I listed a reason. Now if you refer to the above interview he did wait on 1 due to tech he just doesnt state that in his interview on the original script. Now can you admitt you misread what I originally posted about when he wrote the whole story and the fact that I wasnt talking about a script including the fact that he wrote the story for 5 but didnt write the script. Like I said I will admit when im wrong about something, but it doesnt matter that much does it alot of information we get is false that goes for all of us. Also in my first post I asked why people dislike the prequals and you awnsered with I could list to you the reasons 1-3 are bad, but I'm sure you've heard them all before, and I suspect you're asking a leading question just so you can start refuting opinions I think its messed up you tell me that yet you have written a question stating pretty much the same thing. LOL Edited by acsith
missspelling

<SNIP>

The problem with citing George Lucas on the subject of George Lucas is Lucas is the most contradictory source out there. He has changed his story on how Star Wars came to be and what his "original vision" was countless times over the years. If you want a detailed source that has thoroughly researched the actual development, and better understand what I'm saying about the perpetuated myth of Lucas' grand vision, check out The Secret History of Star Wars. You can read the first 100 pages from that link for free.

Also in my first post I asked why people dislike the prequals and you awnsered with I could list to you the reasons 1-3 are bad, but I'm sure you've heard them all before, and I suspect you're asking a leading question just so you can start refuting opinions I think its messed up you tell me that yet you have written a question stating pretty much the same thing. LOL

Okay, you've completely lost me. You replied that you were genuinely asking why people disliked the prequels, so I decided to tell you why I dislike them. My comment about criticizing opinions wasn't direct specifically at you, but to stave off those that would try to argue why my opinion that the prequels are bad is "wrong."

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

Well yes, actually, back in the day when "lightsaber duelling" was two guys boringly standing with their swords up Kendo-style, there was this film called Star Wars that got famous not just for its (almost totally non-digital) fx/action, world design dazzle and pizzazz, but also because it had engaging characters, acted by great actors, and a great script with a good story.

Mark Hammil was not , nor , is not a "great actor".

I think George Lucas could have done alot more. He had an ability to make really great movies. Instead he made maybe 12 hours of great SW and really has done nothing since. He has the money and the know how but decided his gift was SW and that was it. He also want a zillion dollars just for anything to do with SW.

Compare that to Gene Roddenberry. Nearly 700 episodes at 45 minutes each. then 11 movies at 2 hours each. If GL had of done anything close to this he could say he left a legacy and I would be very impressed. But he didn't, he made 12 hours of film in last 68 years.

GL = 12 hours (You could watch them all in half a day)

GR = 525 hours (It would take you 23 days if you never slept)(months of show to watch)

I wouldn't say that. Look at the CGI Clone Wars series on TV. That's being produced by him and the story ideas come from him.

Not true. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I love the "original" original trilogy before Lucas decided to start fiddling with it. I'm talking 1995 THX VHS release. And I'm also not a fan of the prequels and everything they changed (midichlorians anyone?). So yeah, lets not go using blanket statements about groups of people, it makes you sound like an ignorant arse.

No insult or troll intended here, but the "Original" Trilogy started in 1977 with "Episode IV" which was later renamed to "A New Hope"

I absolutely was enthralled, and still am, with those. Great story and at the time great execution. I say that for the "First Three" New Hope, Revenge of the Empire, and Return of the Jedi. I was dis-appointed with the recent releases.

I am going to pretend this isn't true based on the weakness of the rumour so far.

On the off chance that this does prove true, I am pretty sure there is no reason left to live. :(

Reason to live?

How about "Campaigning to bring copyrights down to 25 years so GL loses control of Star wars entirely."

You people will believe anything, won't you?

After the idiocy that Lucas has provided in the ruining of the OT (plus throwing the original versions down the memory hole), and the insult your intelligence new trilogy, yes, I expect the worst with Lucas. The more outlandish and insulting the rumor the more likely its true in Lucas' case. The South Park episode from a few years back regarding Indiana Jones and Lucas sums it up best.

No insult or troll intended here, but the "Original" Trilogy started in 1977 with "Episode IV" which was later renamed to "A New Hope"

I absolutely was enthralled, and still am, with those. Great story and at the time great execution. I say that for the "First Three" New Hope, Revenge of the Empire, and Return of the Jedi. I was dis-appointed with the recent releases.

To be more specific, the original film was "Star Wars." It was later renamed "Episode IV - A New Hope."

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

The problem with citing George Lucas on the subject of George Lucas is Lucas is the most contradictory source out there. He has changed his story on how Star Wars came to be and what his "original vision" was countless times over the years. If you want a detailed source that has thoroughly researched the actual development, and better understand what I'm saying about the perpetuated myth of Lucas' grand vision, check out The Secret History of Star Wars. You can read the first 100 pages from that link for free.

Lol believe the man that came up with it or another book or a web site. Dont you think to do the research in this book that they talked to lucas to find out how it began, because only he knows what he originally wrote. Otherwise how else did they find out. You believe way to much of what you read on the internet and in books actually written by other people. Just like we all do, just because you read it dont make it fact because there have been many books on the subject. Anyway Im done with this debate because you will never admitt that you dont have all the facts and are wrong at times to. LOL

Okay, you've completely lost me. You replied that you were genuinely asking why people disliked the prequels, so I decided to tell you why I dislike them. My comment about criticizing opinions wasn't direct specifically at you, but to stave off those that would try to argue why my opinion that the prequels are bad is "wrong."

This was your awnser to my original qeustion. I could list to you the reasons 1-3 are bad, but I'm sure you've heard them all before, and I suspect you're asking a leading question just so you can start refuting opinions.

Notice you used the word you alot meaning me, but yet it was not directed toward me but to stave others, funny.